shots fired at westminster

reaths17

Sad ,so very sad, ( ruling out mental illnesses that is), the human condition that can so easily morph into religious or political extremism that manifests in these kind of brutal acts of violence seems to have no end in sight.

Condolences to all those that have lost those dear to them.

Those Quaker and Jainist and Vietnamese fundamentalists are a big prob. One would almost think specific doctrines and founding examples had something to so with it.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me that finds some of the tweets from those inside Parliament distasteful?

-----

George Peretz QC? @GeorgePeretzQC

Currently locked in Westminster Abbey with half the House of Lords, a sprinkling of clerics, and various MPs. Worse places to be stuck.

-----

If you want the official hashtag it's

#wearenotafraid

I'll be tweeting that from the comfort of my own living room later.

Meanwhile, I suspect some people today were very afraid indeed.

Ask them to do a cartoon based protest and the sentiment would likely change...

Why are we worried about letting them win? They won ages ago when we let 30k openly call for the death of a novelist near the same spot today. Our enlightenment values have been guarded by cowards and moral relativists ever since.

Out of interest, who and when was this?

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

****, here we go. I really am out now. Can't say the word tricolour but this dude can spew barely concealed loathing on every thread like this. Has he ever made a comment about football since joining?

Governor Tarkin

Statement from the Muslim Council of Britain.

"We are shocked and saddened by the incident at Westminster. We condemn this attack and while it is still too early to speculate on the motives, our thoughts and prayers are for the victims and those affected. We pay tribute too to the police and emergency services who handled this with bravery. The Palace of Westminster is the centre of our democracy and we must all ensure that it continues to serve our country and its people with safety and security."

So tell me, elvoys, are these guys just pishing into the wind?

Let's hope this person was acting alone.

I would hate to be in Central London tonight.

My Mrs works in London 2/3 days a week. She doesn't work that far away from Westminster so I was quick to get in touch with her. Luckily she was working elsewhere in London today.

It's so sad that innocent people going about their normal lives can be put into such danger by cowards. That's all they are. Take the weapon/vehicle off them and they are nothing.

I suppose if he dies, he dies a martyr, so survival would mean he can't cash in his 72 virgins.

Does anyoner consider the poor woman who maintained until death her virginity, and then has a slob like that take it in heaven.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Presumably by issue you mean some kind of recognised mental disorder or illness? If so why would a religious fanatic have to have one of them?

I'd say anyone who wants to kill innocent strangers because of their allegiance to some imaginary figure must have something wrong in the head, wouldn't you?

Do we know if they were Muslim?

Saw somewhere it is a Muslim hate preacher - can't recall the name. He is in loads of videos on YouTube arguing with police and with megaphones trying to spread his beliefs. Does look like the guy on the stretcher right enough.

Rocco_Jambo

I'd say anyone who wants to kill innocent strangers because of their allegiance to some imaginary figure must have something wrong in the head, wouldn't you?

No I wouldn't. If you think all fanatical terrorists are people suffering from mental issues, disorders or illness then I think that's a very naive view to have.

Named as Abu Izadeen, who "was a British spokesman for Al Ghurabaa, a British Muslim organisation banned under the Terrorism Act 2006 for the glorification of terrorism.".

Imagine my shock.

This is now the 2nd associate of Anjem Choudary to have staged terror attacks in the UK. His sort are normally far away from the action. Quite a surprise but there's a pattern now.

Governor Tarkin

23 died in a car bomb in Baghdad yesterday if anyone cares??

Just as well our security services are better then theirs then eh.

Alwayssunnyingorgie

Just as well our security services are better then theirs then eh.

I didn't realise it was a compition, Do you get extra points for maiming?

Statement from the Muslim Council of Britain.

"We are shocked and saddened by the incident at Westminster. We condemn this attack and while it is still too early to speculate on the motives, our thoughts and prayers are for the victims and those affected. We pay tribute too to the police and emergency services who handled this with bravery. The Palace of Westminster is the centre of our democracy and we must all ensure that it continues to serve our country and its people with safety and security."

So tell me, elvoys, are these guys just pishing into the wind?

You mean the same group that refuse to recognise Ahmadis as muslims and leave them an open target? The same group that blamed the govt for the transatlantic plot? The same group that say apostates have no right of return? Pissing in the wind would be helpful in comparison.

Ibrahim Tall

Id imagine people in Iraq do similarly people here care about events in London, it isn't a competition.

Id imagine people in Iraq do similarly people here care about events in London, it isn't a competition.

:spoton:

The Internet

Think that's all bases covered now. Thread can be closed.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Should have known the anti Muslim bigots would be all over this thread. Nice to know the Mods don't bother with these threads. I wonder if Zoltan still thinks the Melbourne car nutjob is a Muslim?

Anyway, I'm glad most people in the UK don't hold such views. As ghastly as something like this is, most people are prepared to accept the risk of something like this happening in return for basic freedoms. In addition, I take comfort in the stark realisation for the nutjob that there weren't 72 virgins on the other side and that his act was completely futile.

Should have known the anti Muslim bigots would be all over this thread. Nice to know the Mods don't bother with these threads. I wonder if Zoltan still thinks the Melbourne car nutjob is a Muslim?

Anyway, I'm glad most people in the UK don't hold such views. As ghastly as something like this is, most people are prepared to accept the risk of something like this happening in return for basic freedoms. In addition, I take comfort in the stark realisation for the nutjob that there weren't 72 virgins on the other side and that his act was completely futile.

Criticising an ideology that has been the fueling point and key motivation for numerous terrorist attacks which holds disgusting inhumane ways of life = Bigot.

:lol: .

The Internet

Looks like the Abu Izzadeen twitter rumour was just a, erm, twitter rumour. Wasn't him.

Named as Abu Izadeen, who "was a British spokesman for Al Ghurabaa, a British Muslim organisation banned under the Terrorism Act 2006 for the glorification of terrorism.".

Imagine my shock.

Apparently he's in jail.

Looks like the Abu Izzadeen twitter rumour was just a, erm, twitter rumour. Wasn't him.

In my defense I didn't take it from Twitter, I saw numerous news sources stating it, similar to (but not including) this one:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/abu-izzadeen-london-terror-attacks-westminster-who-is-he-police-politicians-a7644626.html .

John Findlay

I'm glad the police shot the perpetrator dead. Saves the expense of a trial and their upkeep in gaol for at least fifteen years.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Criticising an ideology that has been the fueling point and key motivation for numerous terrorist attacks which holds disgusting inhumane ways of life = Bigot.

:lol: .

If it was just this thread then you would be right.

If it was just this thread then you would be right.

Does Islam change between threads on Jambos Kickback,or is it the same vile ideology as it has been for the past 1,400 years?

I'll check The Terrace.

Sexton Hardcastle

There's actually a Snapchat story to the event now. Pretty ****ing ridiculous even by today's standards.

Anything for the clicks/likes.

J.T.F.Robertson

I seem to recall something recently whereby "virgins" was somehow a misinterpretation of "raisins". Be even more devastated, if true.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Does Islam change between threads on Jambos Kickback,or is it the same vile ideology as it has been for the past 1,400 years?

I'll check The Terrace.

Just check the Melbourne car thread. Zoltan dived in with his anti Islam agenda on that one.

Governor Tarkin

You mean the same group that refuse to recognise Ahmadis as muslims and leave them an open target? The same group that blamed the govt for the transatlantic plot? The same group that say apostates have no right of return? Pissing in the wind would be helpful in comparison.

Aye, the same group.

Ken what though - That statement will reflect the views of all the Muslims I know personally a lot more than that helmet who got himself slotted down Westmister this afternoon.

I enjoy your posts, mate, and you appear to have a reasonable breadth of knowledge, but I fear that your 'one size fits all' attitude to Muslims is as ****ed up as theirs.

Stephane Grappelli

You talk some pish.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Aye, the same group.

Ken what though - That statement will reflect the views of all the Muslims I know personally a lot more than that helmet who got himself slotted down Westmister this afternoon.

I enjoy your posts, mate, and you appear to have a reasonable breadth of knowledge, but I fear that your 'one size fits all' attitude to Muslims is as ****ed up as theirs.

This

Not really.

This is a thread about a terrorist attack in our country. Feel sorry for all those involved. RIP

"Which will come first, flying cars and vacations to Mars, or a simple acknowledgment that beliefs guide behavior and that certain religious ideas?jihad, martyrdom, blasphemy, apostasy?reliably lead to oppression and murder?"

Sam Harris.

Going by the Guardian readers on here it sadly looks like the Mars trips I reckon. :(

zoltan socrates

Difference is pal, i dont go running to the mods when my name is me tioned, i can have a debate, you clearly feel the need to shut them down, make it uncomfortable for you does it?

Like it or not the solution lies somewhere in that debate, both ends of the spectrum need to be heard but its not as much fun as labelling someone, incorrectly, a bigot, eh geoffrey

Dusk_Till_Dawn

"Which will come first, flying cars and vacations to Mars, or a simple acknowledgment that beliefs guide behavior and that certain religious ideas?jihad, martyrdom, blasphemy, apostasy?reliably lead to oppression and murder?"

Sam Harris.

Going by the Guardian readers on here it sadly looks like the Mars trips I reckon. :(

Two types of people:

1) The "let's read the Guardian, sing cumbaya and blame the west" crowd

2) the "let's read the mail and ban Islam" massive.

Polarised and are never going to meet in the middle.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Sam Harris.

So let's say, for argument's sake, his religion was the only factor in his behaviour today, what do you propose we do with that knowledge?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Difference is pal, i dont go running to the mods when my name is me tioned, i can have a debate, you clearly feel the need to shut them down, make it uncomfortable for you does it?

Like it or not the solution lies somewhere in that debate, both ends of the spectrum need to be heard but its not as much fun as labelling someone, incorrectly, a bigot, eh geoffrey

I'm not "running" to the Mods. Equally, I'm asking why they aren't looking in.

Incidentally, I'm happy to call you a bigot given your posts on that Melbourne thread. Jumping in with your hatred of Islam on the assumptions that those nasty Muslamics (sic) are the only ones who could mow down innocent people.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

So let's say, for argument's sake, his religion was the only factor in his behaviour today, what do you propose we do with that knowledge?

A good question.

I can't really think of anything constructive.

However, your answer seems to be to do nothing about it. That will achieve just as much/just as little.

Aye, the same group.

Not one size from me. Druze, Ishmalis, Shia pretty much (outwith the core in Iran) Ahmadis, Kurds and Sufi are largely exempt from my ire. Unfortunately mainstream Sunni Islam (85%) is suffocating diversity and plurality of voices due to the bind with the 7th century Sunnah.

Archived