Ex-Hearts striker Velicka would love Rangers transfer

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Published Date: 09 June 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

ANDRIUS VELICKA today welcomed the prospect of a quick-fire transfer to Rangers little more than three months after leaving Hearts for a new life in Norway.

The Lithuanian striker, currently plying his trade with Viking Stavanger, is receptive to interest from Ibrox, where manager Walter Smith is considering an offer in the region of ?1million.

Rangers have monitored Velicka's prowess since his time in Edinburgh. He left Tynecastle at the end of February but Smith is keen to return him to Scotland, where he scored an impressive 26 goals in 56 games for Hearts.

"If it can happen, it will be amazing.:rolleyes: To play for Rangers would just be unbelievable," Velicka told the Evening News. "They are a big club in Europe and I think they are the best club in Scotland:eek:. I would be proud to get the chance to play for Rangers. I don't want to talk too much about this because I don't know anything yet.":p

Officials at the Viking Stadium have confirmed they have yet to receive an official approach from Rangers regarding Velicka. The Norwegian Tippeligaen now begins a three-week summer break and the forward conceded his new club have been less than convincing during the opening ten games of the season.

"I'm happy in Norway, although the Viking results are not good at the moment," he said. "We were ninth in the league table but we won yesterday (2-0 against Bodo Glimt] and now move up to sixth place. I've scored three goals in league matches and two in cup games. My performance is not bad. I'm trying to do my best for the team."

well hyping it up and licking the a**** of the hun fans also.:rolleyes:

Rawrrrrrrr

How dare a former hearts player be encouraged by the chance of a big move to a team who regularly challenge for domestic honours and do well in europe too

He should be saying that he much prefers smaller wages and lower level football :)

Craigieboy

It's not about wanting to go to a bigger club. It's about making inappropriate comments (eg Bednar).

Right Vlad, get Miko & Chesney tae kick his **** in.

Rawrrrrrrr
It's not about wanting to go to a bigger club. It's about making inappropriate comments (eg Bednar).

Right Vlad, get Miko & Chesney tae kick his **** in.

Whats inappropiate about his comments?

Should the fact he played for us in the past mean he has to lie to the media about his opinions and ambitions

For the record I would feel the same if I was him, rangers are a big club and he would be stupid not to be excited by such a move

cobbyshambles

i thought he was gracious in his tynecastle exit.obviously doesnt have fond memories of the place.

WeeToonJambo

According to some in the weedgia it's a done deal, but we've heard that before!!

cobbyshambles
According to some in the weedgia it's a done deal, but we've heard that before!!

so was the steve banks transfer.would have thought velicka would give his new team more than 3 or 4 months surely?

Craigieboy
Whats inappropiate about his comments?

Should the fact he played for us in the past mean he has to lie to the media about his opinions and ambitions

For the record I would feel the same if I was him, rangers are a big club and he would be stupid not to be excited by such a move

"They are a big club in Europe and I think they are the best club in Scotland"

Is there really any need to say that?

Don't see what the problem is. He wants to do well in his career so wanted out of Hearts asap. He now has the opportunity to move to a club who will more or less win 50% of the trophies available and is guaranteed European football every year. He knows he can score goals in the SPL in a dire side so will expect bucket loads in a dominant side who create chances and have all the other 'advantages' going.

If this does happen in a way I find it quite amusing as Romanov will be the shafted one for a change not the Hearts support. One of his very own doing the dirty on him, dear oh dear !!

Rawrrrrrrr

Why not?

Its his opinion and its undoubtadly arguably correct

He has nothing tying him to hearts and he has every right to share his opinions on a club interested in him

I still dont think Velicka chose to go to Norway

Vlad told him - that or the stands IMO

I'm sure as soon as he got free of Vlad he got a proper agent who has put out the feelers that Velicka would be desperate to play back in UK.

Sexton Hardcastle

Im sure he'l happily accept another signing on fee and wage increase. After all isnt that why everyone joins the old firm? He'l warm the bench for a year or 2 and move to the championship. 5 year plan

marshallschunkychicken
Why not?

He has nothing tying him to hearts and he has every right to share his opinions on a club interested in him

Prancer.

I think you sometimes get a hard time on here, but that phrase is just bollocks.

doctor jambo
Why not?

how can something be undoubtable yet arguable- it is surely one or the other?

londonjambo

Cant help wondering what certain posters of an orange persuasion will make of this

Are we allowed to call him Vhelicka yet ?? Or would that be double standards ??

GC

bigbryanthejambo

"Best Team in Scotland".... come on guys. If you believe that this is what Velicka truley believes then you're more gullible than Hibs fans.

Velicka has been here to see Wally Smith play 4-5-1 in most games this season, play un-attractive anti football, cheat in a CIS Semi Final, crash out in the UEFA Cup Final to a bunch of unknown Russians and totally disgrace themselves in Manchester. He also saw us run riot and rip their defensive minded team up at Tynecastle in the 4-2 game.

Velicka has gotten to the guff team he currently plays for and realised that the SPL with all it's flaws is better than where he is. He's kissing backside to gain a move.

londonjambo
how can something be undoubtable yet arguable- it is surely one or the other?

Hmmmm, shame as it might be to buck the trend and defend Prancer, it seems to me that something can easily be undoubtedly arguable.

Something can be unarguable so that it is not capable of being argued. Equally, something can be undoubtedly arguable - definitely capable of being argued.

Sorry

GC

Craigieboy
Cant help wondering what certain posters of an orange persuasion will make of this

GC

Nah. Only if he signs for THEM!

;)

GC

I dont think you really get the whole "h" thing huh....

londonjambo
I dont think you really get the whole "h" thing huh....

I think you'll find, my poor wee soul, that I get it all too well.

Is there a smiley for something going over someone's head .... ?

GC

Walter Bishop

Published Date: 09 June 2008

By BARRY ANDERSON

ANDRIUS VELICKA today welcomed the prospect of a quick-fire transfer to Rangers little more than three months after leaving Hearts for a new life in Norway.

The Lithuanian striker, currently plying his trade with Viking Stavanger, is receptive to interest from Ibrox, where manager Walter Smith is considering an offer in the region of ?1million.

Rangers have monitored Velicka's prowess since his time in Edinburgh. He left Tynecastle at the end of February but Smith is keen to return him to Scotland, where he scored an impressive 26 goals in 56 games for Hearts.

"If it can happen, it will be amazing.:rolleyes: To play for Rangers would just be unbelievable," Velicka told the Evening News. "They are a big club in Europe and I think they are the best club in Scotland:eek:. I would be proud to get the chance to play for Rangers. I don't want to talk too much about this because I don't know anything yet.":p

Officials at the Viking Stadium have confirmed they have yet to receive an official approach from Rangers regarding Velicka. The Norwegian Tippeligaen now begins a three-week summer break and the forward conceded his new club have been less than convincing during the opening ten games of the season.

"I'm happy in Norway, although the Viking results are not good at the moment," he said. "We were ninth in the league table but we won yesterday (2-0 against Bodo Glimt] and now move up to sixth place. I've scored three goals in league matches and two in cup games. My performance is not bad. I'm trying to do my best for the team."

well hyping it up and licking the a**** of the hun fans also.:rolleyes:

Fair play to him, one player i wouldnt mind earning a fat cheque from the old firm and getting regular champions league football.

I think you'll find, my poor wee soul, that I get it all too well.

Is there a smiley for something going over someone's head .... ?

GC

I did ponder over whether there was a sarcastic undertone to your post.... hard to judge over t'interweb sometimes.

I do apologise, my poor misunderstood soul.

Genghis Khan
Why not?

It might be his opinion but it's definitely not correct - check the league table for the past 3 years.

londonjambo
I did ponder over whether there was a sarcastic undertone to your post.... hard to judge over t'interweb sometimes.

I do apologise, my poor misunderstood soul.

No problem ;)

GC

alwaysthereinspirit

If this is what it takes to make Mad realise that Lithuanian players and agents can also be sneaky behind his back then all the better.

Come on Mad get us a manager.:(

coppercrutch

Velickhun.

He could have just said 'one of the best clubs in Scotland'...

So now Velicka is fine for wanting a move to Celtic, but when Hartley and Pressley want a move to Celtic theyre crucified?

Guess these people who think its ok for him to move to Rangers show theyre alliences to Rangers FC.

Velickhun.

He could have just said 'one of the best clubs in Scotland'...

He might well have done,any way he is right that they are the best team in Scotland,

that are interested in him.

londonjambo
So now Velicka is fine for wanting a move to Celtic, but when Hartley and Pressley want a move to Celtic theyre crucified?

Guess these people who think its ok for him to move to Rangers show theyre alliences to Rangers FC.

Psssst. I think you mean Rangers in the first line of your post.

However, as to your more general point, let's wait and see. I'm sure its only a matter of time before Picky Nose and the rest start laying into Vhelicka for his apparent passion for Der Hun.

... but don't hold your breath.

GC

Psssst. I think you mean Rangers in the first line of your post.

However, as to your more general point, let's wait and see. I'm sure its only a matter of time before Picky Nose and the rest start laying into Vhelicka for his apparent passion for Der Hun.

... but don't hold your breath.

GC

Sorry Rangers I mean mate, thanks for correcting that for me.

He might well have done,any way he is right that they are the best team in Scotland,

that are interested in him.

Erm.... Celtic won the league, shouldnt they be the best team in the league?:wacko:

Erm.... Celtic won the league, shouldnt they be the best team in the league?:wacko:

Read his post again.

He said that Rangers are the best team in scotland that are interested in him.

That is correct.

It might be his opinion but it's definitely not correct - check the league table for the past 3 years.

Sorry Ghenghis khan ;) and 'h' overload there

Bindy Badgy

He's hardly going to say "I hate those Weegie *******s but I'll go if they offer me enough cash" is he?

The man is reaching the end of his career and he's spent a year and a half playing for a ****e team and being paid well under his true worth. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted a big day and a few medals before he retires.

Victor Meldrew
Hmmmm, shame as it might be to buck the trend and defend Prancer, it seems to me that something can easily be undoubtedly arguable.

Something can be unarguable so that it is not capable of being argued. Equally, something can be undoubtedly arguable - definitely capable of being argued.

Sorry

GC

Spot the lawyer!

Judas.... He should be shot! In fact forget that, he's clearly so evil that he deserves a slow and painful death!!! Give him some fags and encourage him to take up smoking :rolleyes:

Imagine wanting to move to a minnow like Rangers from European superpower Viking!! Maybe Vlad shouldn't have been so eager to cash in afterall.... :rolleyes:

Ray Winstone

Good luck to him if he gets the move.

Only one person to blame on this one and that is Vlad.

Velicka would still have been here had Vlad chose not to cash in and the funny thing is people will rant about Velicka's dissloyalty when actually it was Vlad that should have shown some loyalty to the player and the fans by keeping him.

I wonder if Vlad had a sell-on clause ?

I wonder if Vlad still owns his contract:whistling:

Argh. I shouldn't be remotely surprised to hear him say that, of course he'd love a move like that....but still, did he have to drool quite so openly?

I'm going to have to convince myself that something was lost in translation (possibly the phrase 'one of the best') before I end up disliking him quite a lot.

:sad:

Professor.Arturo

On this one I agree with Prancer. It would be a great move for Velicka, and if he does sign for the huns, you can bet your last pound he'll come back to haunt us. He no doubt has fond memories of us the fans (maybe not so much our esteemed owner), but at the end of the day he's a pro football player trying to do the best for himself.

Miller Jambo 60
If this is what it takes to make Mad realise that Lithuanian players and agents can also be sneaky behind his back then all the better.

Come on Mad get us a manager.:(

A LITH at ibrox ma ha dont think so.

the wee prod huns will be slashing wrists .

weegie gets.

Charlie-Brown

Would Velicka now become a real person in Keith Jackson's eyes or would he still be one of the faceless cast of thousands.......

Would Velicka now become a real person in Keith Jackson's eyes or would he still be one of the faceless cast of thousands.......

to be fair the press were fairly unanimously backing him as our main player from around 1/3 of a way through the season

I distinctly remember them questioning him not being in the team from the start every game

Every old firm fan that I spoke to from around Xmas also said they'd be happy with him in their squad.

So I do think he was recognised as a good SPL quality player quite widely - moreso than within the Tynecastle stands

Charlie-Brown
to be fair the press were fairly unanimously backing him as our main player from around 1/3 of a way through the season

I distinctly remember them questioning him not being in the team from the start every game

Every old firm fan that I spoke to from around Xmas also said they'd be happy with him in their squad.

So I do think he was recognised as a good SPL quality player quite widely - moreso than within the Tynecastle stands

Indeed - I think he scored against just about everyone of our SPL rivals but still for some people that wasn't enough....like we've been spoiled for choice of goalscorers since Robbo retired.

Glamorgan Jambo

I wonder how velicka's blurt over his mobile to B.Anderson sits with Vlad's belief that its only Scots who can't be trusted because they all want to go to Cellic/Raingurz.

What a lot of nonsense.

R@ng*rs and C*lt!c have won huge amounts of trophies in Scotland, they get more than twice we get in attendance, they contest in the Champions League annually.

He was merely stating the facts.

I for one think the sad part is that we could not wait to get our best striker off our books and got rid of him for an extremely small fee. We are a laughing stock.

Here also.

In fact, he was listed as one of the main reasons for us being as low as 11th in the league by regular posters on here.

Sorry

GC

Oasis_-_Definitely_Maybe.jpg

Of course as Prancer had demonstrated an ability to create an argument about anything and never admits to any doubt over his own position maybe the charge should have been that the phrase is redundant rather than self contradictory.

Archived