Scotland's Game

Maroon Sailor

Ah....THATS why they get called 'Orcs'.

Sent from my VF-895N using Tapatalk

If your talking about the wee baldy that was protesting I had the exact same thought [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was generally quite good and covered everything. One thing is missing from the series so far. The behaviour and activities of Celtic fans. I imagine it will remain missing and nobody has an appetite to tell that story.

You mean it didn't mention them assaulting and robbing the kiosk staff at Tynecastle when they discussed Lennon being ran at.

The treatment of Brooke M was disgraceful. You ask anyone from Gretna and they wouldn't change it for the world.

This series has been interesting and nostalgic, but the underlying sentiment is utter bullshite and still seems to be deflecting from the key issues with the game in this country.

Can't believe they used that image of the Wheatfield giving Lennon it tight to demonstrate the agenda against him. :facepalm:

Cosgrove losing his shit like a bitter Hobo :rofl:

Not bad, could have mentioned we were already 20 million down before Vladimir arrived though, I get fed up explaining that

It did to be fair, mentioned that Tynecastle was being sold as we were in the shit and I'm positive they showed a newspaper article with the debt around the same time as wreath was placed at the front door.

The treatment of Brooke M was disgraceful. You ask anyone from Gretna and they wouldn't change it for the world.

This series has been interesting and nostalgic, but the underlying sentiment is utter bullshite and still seems to be deflecting from the key issues with the game in this country.

Can't believe they used that image of the Wheatfield giving Lennon it tight to demonstrate the agenda against him. :facepalm:

They are running with sectarianism being a Scottish disease and that picture and the attack on Neil lennon are being used as the sole evidence.

Diadora Van Basten

I didn't agree with everything but it was refreshing to hear Alex Thompson and Tom English on the Rangers scandal.

Alex Thompson "off course it was sporting advantage otherwise they wouldn't have done it", Tom English "In my opinion the problems with Rangers were caused by David Murray".

What I didn't agree with were:

Graham Spears talking about the attack on Neil Lennon as if it was a sectarian issue when it was a Neil Lennon issue. If they showed Neil Lennon's assault on Pressley during the new year game it would be more balanced.

Rangers were not put into the third division they started again and were very lucky to circumvent the rules and gain entry into the third division (too big to fail).

You mean it didn't mention them assaulting and robbing the kiosk staff at Tynecastle when they discussed Lennon being ran at.

Indeed. That's one item anyway. Another being the ongoing support of a terrorist group and celebration of murder. Maybe Peter wont let anyone tell the story.

'That house'll stay open and the fans'll make sure of it cause we are the people'

:rofl:

Right then pal.

Indeed. That's one item anyway. Another being the ongoing support of a terrorist group and celebration of murder. Maybe Peter wont let anyone tell the story.

:wow:

SHOCKED!

That Graham Spiers is a total Shereen Nanjiani as well.

Dont mind Graham Spiers at all. Series has been good to watch so far...well..apart from certain fuzzy revisionism of key details in recent Scottish footballing history. 

Then again actually talking the facts would take series nigh on the length of 'The World at War'* 

*26 episodes and its an excellent watch. 

I thought the Rangers section was very damning

BBC very ambitious to cover so much and maybe too short.

But they got message across.

I didn't agree with everything but it was refreshing to hear Alex Thompson and Tom English on the Rangers scandal.

Alex Thompson "off course it was sporting advantage otherwise they wouldn't have done it", Tom English "In my opinion the problems with Rangers were caused by David Murray".

What I didn't agree with were:

Graham Spears talking about the attack on Neil Lennon as if it was a sectarian issue when it was a Neil Lennon issue. If they showed Neil Lennon's assault on Pressley during the new year game it would be more balanced.

Rangers were not put into the third division they started again and were very lucky to circumvent the rules and gain entry into the third division (too big to fail).

To a degree, however, that is perhaps the most visible attack on Lennon on tv at a game. Only thing I can think of is the McCoist/Lennon bust up. However, that doesn't make what happened sectarian. I think that whole "attack on Lennon" stuff was better illustrated earlier by the bullets, public attacks and abuse he took.

I'll be honest, Lennon is an outspoken man, he was as a player. He stood up to a lot of personal abuse, and whilst I hated him as a player I have to say I respected him immensely for his conduct in the face of what was purely sectarian attacks. Nobody deserves bullets in the post.

As for the show as a whole, you forget how mad Romanov was. Absolutely mental. I think the feel good vibe since the end of the administration process has skewed my memories of before then. But I too felt the program quickly glossed over the crisis our club faced under Robinson at the end. We lurched from crisis to financial crisis. Diminished squad, rudderless on the pitch (to a degree!) and we as fans reached for the man who came along and offered a way out. Local or not, Robinson would have ended Hearts as we know it! Yes, Romanov nearly ended us and he made us a laughing stock, but those two cups make it almost worth all that. We'd not won a thing under Robinson's plan and we'd be a yo-yo team at Murrayfield. 

Kinda also feel that whilst Hearts fans come out of that program amazingly well, that it glossed over the concerted and co-ordinated efforts of the fans before Budge and also the help we got from some clubs, every ticket bought at away games equaling a ?1 to the FOH from Partick for one. However, Hearts and our fans came out well there and I'm happy with that.

Thought elsewhere it was fair. Thought Pressley spoke well as well. 

A good show which pointed the finger at the right people (Murray, Romanov, Mileson) and also at those running the national game. After all, if the SPL and the SFA had the right checks in place for ownership and auditing and if they hadn't foolishly turned that deal down (and if the OF hadn't walked on SPL TV) then we wouldn't have faced as many of the issues we have had.

SectionDJambo

It was, by and large, fair enough. A lot to pack into an hour, so not going to please everyone.

Interesting points for me were the interviews with Burley and Pressley. I can't remember Burley talking about it before and Pressley went some way to describing what his mindset must have been at the time he let himself down with Hearts fans.

They did say that we were selling Tynecastle before Romanov was the only escape. The general outline of the chaos of his ownership, mixed with success, could fill a 2 hour programme on its own.

The Rangers liquidation was covered, and the only reason they weren't allowed to start again in the top league, the fans of other clubs, made clear. I've no doubt that if it were not for the Internet, The Rangers would have resumed in the top league, since the behind closed doors deals and behaviour of the SFA / Scottish League in the past, would have made sure the Scottish media propaganda would have brushed aside any protests.

Hearts came out very positively as a club and support for future hopes of the Scottish game.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Never forget. Who was it the clubs wheeled out to start the No to Newco vote? Our Vlad because the rest were too chicken shit!

For those that missed it Stephen Thompson made it clear it was fans - in United's case refusing to buy season tickets - who forced clubs to vote Rangers out of Premier League.

Some well kent fans in the background welcoming him to the club.

Some who see themselves as the biggest Hearts men on the planet

Motherwell game 1981-82. Last game of the season. We had to win to get promotion. Motherwell had already won the league but beat us 1-0. The atmosphere in the shed that day was pretty poisonous, not in a sectarian way but just it felt like we knew we wouldn't win and it just kept on kicking off. Waldo came round and tried in vain to reason with the Shed crowd but it's fair to say he didn't succeed.

I was in the shed that day (aged 14) and it was crazy.

Bloke standing near me threw an iron bar which almost hit WM, who promptly about turned and gave up his appeal for calm.

A lad in the year above me at Leith Academy was dragged out by 4 cops, holding a limb each, the cops waded in to the shed, GA 'waded' back...

A crazy and horrific day for HMFC.

Recall Tam Cowan mentioning on OTB that, as a young Motherwell fan, it was the most terrified he'd ever been

maroonlegions

Some who see themselves as the biggest Hearts men on the planet

i Know two of them, grew up with them.. lol; 

Quite enjoyed the prog tonight.

Had a wee look on Hibs.ned and they're upset that Hearts weren't called cheats and we were praised for saving our club.

Girfuy Hibs scum.

Maroon Sailor

Don't think an hour long programme was enough to cover so much carnage. Dundee hardly got a mention and there were some proper basket cases in charge of that club.

Enjoyed that tonight. Interesting comments from Burley and Pressley regarding their departures and a lot of hearts related coverage.

I have always admired Pressley. He was a fantastic captain of our club.

He is vilified by a moronic element of our support, simply because he made a stand against an imbecilic owner who treated our club in a truly shameful manner.

Those who abuse Pressley should remember that he lived through what was going on within the club and the bizarre place it had become under that regime.

His actions at Tynecastle whilst playing for Celtic weren't particularly well judged but equally weren't aimed at our fans. To listen to Pressley speak it's fairly clear he had a strong affinity to our club and was sad the way things ended.

The blind support, even now by some, of the Russian simply serves to illustrate how many stupid ignorant people are out there.

'That house'll stay open and the fans'll make sure of it cause we are the people'

:rofl:

Right then pal.

Lol made me laugh too. They let their club die

Program was decent tonight apart from the Lennon pitch attack which should never of been included to the extent it was. His altercation with McCoist shows him for what he is (although to be fair the crap he had to put up with with bullets etc was a disgrace). I agree with another poster in that the Dindee scenario was well glossed over as that was mental.

Pressley came over well and as anyone who was there at the time would testify he was quite brilliant in his captaincy. Just a shame his chest beating antics leave a sour taste , but I'll never forget how crucial he was in that period.

Also loved the pieman abuse. He was an absolute cretin who did more damage to our club that anyone. If Romanov didn't come in I honestly believe our club would be dead as murrayfield would of never worked. Robinson had the biggest ego and was a thoroughly unpleasant human who treated fans like dogs dirt to serve his own overinflated self ego.

It's been a bit nostalgic watching these episodes but it has (if nothing else) shown our support in a great light. Made me proud

Fly the Saltire

Fascinating programme paricularly Roger Mitchell's revalations regarding the TV deals and that someone leaked the SPFL TV business plan to Sky.  Fingers pointed at one or both of the ugly sisters.

Hearts fans came out with a glowing report. As stated above good insights from Burley, Pressley and Ann Budge.

However, like the rest of the Scottish media, the BBC bottled it when they stated Rangers were liquidated in June 2012 but then says they're "back" in the top flight.

A Newco is a Newco. That's what liquidation, as opposed to adminstation, means.

Thought it was quite interesting burley saying Ibrahim tall wasn't good enough for the squad but Romanov signed him anyway! I thought he was a good player for us!! I remember the cheer he got when he finally made his debut in about January!!

Program was decent tonight apart from the Lennon pitch attack which should never of been included to the extent it was. His altercation with McCoist shows him for what he is (although to be fair the crap he had to put up with with bullets etc was a disgrace). I agree with another poster in that the Dindee scenario was well glossed over as that was mental.

Pressley came over well and as anyone who was there at the time would testify he was quite brilliant in his captaincy. Just a shame his chest beating antics leave a sour taste , but I'll never forget how crucial he was in that period.

Also loved the pieman abuse. He was an absolute cretin who did more damage to our club that anyone. If Romanov didn't come in I honestly believe our club would be dead as murrayfield would of never worked. Robinson had the biggest ego and was a thoroughly unpleasant human who treated fans like dogs dirt to serve his own overinflated self ego.

It's been a bit nostalgic watching these episodes but it has (if nothing else) shown our support in a great light. Made me proud

Fairly sure it came out mccoist said something unsavoury, though I may have made that up.

The Robinson bit was priceless.

The banner "yer full of mince"

Thought it was quite interesting burley saying Ibrahim tall wasn't good enough for the squad but Romanov signed him anyway! I thought he was a good player for us!! I remember the cheer he got when he finally made his debut in about January!!

Think that was the norm in his reign to be fair. I was surprised that burley came out with it though as I'm sure his compensation payout was based on him saying nowt. Although suppose there's not much chance of Romanov suing him now lol. I'd love for the whole lot to come out though as that would be one book i would buy on day 1

Think that was the norm in his reign to be fair. I was surprised that burley came out with it though as I'm sure his compensation payout was based on him saying nowt. Although suppose there's not much chance of Romanov suing him now lol. I'd love for the whole lot to come out though as that would be one book i would buy on day 1

Agreed, surely some journalist must be on the case by now.

I have always admired Pressley. He was a fantastic captain of our club.

He is vilified by a moronic element of our support, simply because he made a stand against an imbecilic owner who treated our club in a truly shameful manner.

Those who abuse Pressley should remember that he lived through what was going on within the club and the bizarre place it had become under that regime.

His actions at Tynecastle whilst playing for Celtic weren't particularly well judged but equally weren't aimed at our fans. To listen to Pressley speak it's fairly clear he had a strong affinity to our club and was sad the way things ended.

The blind support, even now by some, of the Russian simply serves to illustrate how many stupid ignorant people are out there.

Careful, context makes that a bit racist!

Not that the stupid, ignorant people out there will notice!!!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Careful, context makes that a bit racist!

Not that the stupid, ignorant people out there will notice!!!

Spencer is attempting to troll. Best ignored.

Vladimir Romanov remains the greatest person to ever be involved with Heart of Midlothian.

:glorious:

Vladimir Romanov remains the greatest person to ever be involved with Heart of Midlothian.

You epitomise the type of clown I was referring too Geoffrey.

He was an absolute disgrace

Frank Sidebottom

If that post is not trolling, I don't know what is.

Geoff Kilpatrick

You epitomise the type of clown I was referring too Geoffrey.

He was an absolute disgrace

The "absolute disgrace" who saved the club from selling the ground?

More "absolute disgraces" like him please.

I will ignore the personal abuse.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Excuse my ignorance, can't seem to get this on the iplayer in England for some reason.

What happened between St. Johnstone and Gretna? It rings a bell but can't remember exactly.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Excuse my ignorance, can't seem to get this on the iplayer in England for some reason.

What happened between St. Johnstone and Gretna? It rings a bell but can't remember exactly.

Gretna beat St Johnstone to promotion from the second tier.

The "absolute disgrace" who saved the club from selling the ground?

More "absolute disgraces" like him please.

I will ignore the personal abuse.

Oh Mr Romanov was a disgrace Geoffrey. The way the club was run and ultimately left was completely unacceptable.

For you to lavish praise upon such a parasite says much about you I'd suggest

Archived