Wage budget

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

With Watt being on loan, Paterson refusing to sign a new contract. I've been thinking about our wage budget in 2 or 3 years time.

Once we have our new stand in place, what?s the salaries we are likely to afford, I reckon to keep quality players and attract quality relative to this division, we need to afford about ?7k/ week. (players like Watt could stay for that type of money)

This would not only allow us to have a better team, but we would retain players and sell on value would increase as the quality and contract terms at Hearts would be better, thus  increasing our budget further.

Wages I believe need to be at max 65% of turnover. Here is my basic maths.

4 key players at ?7k = ?1.45m

10 first team players at ?4k = 2m

6 squad players at ?3k = ?936k

20 youngster at ?500 average ?520k

Total ?4.9m

Mgt and general staff ?1m

Bonus 10% @ ?600k

Total ?6.5m x 20% for tax, ni and pensions = ?7.8m

For this, in any shape or form our turnover would need to be ?12m to remain at 65%

Will crowds of around 18k, increased cooperate facilities take us to this type of turnover figure?

Although Turnover is important, it is   all relative to debt, we won?t have any in 2/3 years. Can a club with little or no debt afford a higher wage %.

If our wage budget was in the ball park of these figures we can keep players, attract decent players and I think distance ourselves from the rest of the league, possibly including Rangers dependent on their financial situation.

Pie in the sky, or is this the end game of our 5 year plan?

Maybe someone with an interest and skill could add to the accounts and make a mini p&l for a future Hearts?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

With Watt being on loan, Paterson refusing to sign a new contract. I've been thinking about our wage budget in 2 or 3 years time.

Once we have our new stand in place, what?s the salaries we are likely to afford, I reckon to keep quality players and attract quality relative to this division, we need to afford about ?7k/ week. (players like Watt could stay for that type of money)

This would not only allow us to have a better team, but we would retain players and sell on value would increase as the quality and contract terms at Hearts would be better, thus increasing our budget further.

Total ?4.9m

Bonus 10% @ ?600k

For this, in any shape or form our turnover would need to be ?12m to remain at 65%

Will crowds of around 18k, increased cooperate facilities take us to this type of turnover figure?

Although Turnover is important, it is all relative to debt, we won?t have any in 2/3 years. Can a club with little or no debt afford a higher wage %.

If our wage budget was in the ball park of these figures we can keep players, attract decent players and I think distance ourselves from the rest of the league, possibly including Rangers dependent on their financial situation.

Maybe someone with an interest and skill could add to the accounts and make a mini p&l for a future Hearts?

Doesnt pay to look too far ahead

Bazzas right boot

Doesnt pay to look too far ahead

Surely with a 5 year plan in place, and  looking forward to the second part of it, isn't looking too far ahead?

Getintaethem

I've no idea how accurate your figure are but it stands to reason that once the stand is built (and paid for), we will have more income to spend on better players. We're probably having to keep the budget quite low just now to pay for the stand.

We will make more than 12 million a year. But will be keeping wage bill to under 60%. We plan to have money saved up in the bank.

Bazzas right boot

We will make more than 12 million a year. But will be keeping wage bill to under 60%. We plan to have money saved up in the bank.

If that's true then we will be able to afford figures of around ?7k for the right player.

At the end of this  year plan, we are going to be in such a good place it's almost unbelievable.

We really could be genuine season on season challengers and a fair bit of distance from the rest of the league excluding Celtic and maybe Rangers, although there won't be as big a gap as there has been.

Paulie Walnut

We have a wage cap of ?4k a week and this will not be broken, we currently don't have a player that earns the basic wage cap.

Paulie Walnut

We have a wage cap of ?4k a week and this will not be broken, we currently don't have a player that earns the basic wage cap.

This would not only allow us to have a better team, but we would retain players and sell on value would increase as the quality and contract terms at Hearts would be better, thus  increasing our budget further.

Total ?4.9m

Bonus 10% @ ?600k

Although Turnover is important, it is   all relative to debt, we won?t have any in 2/3 years. Can a club with little or no debt afford a higher wage %.

Maybe someone with an interest and skill could add to the accounts and make a mini p&l for a future Hearts?

20%?? Every player would be a higher rate tax payer at the wages you quote. Try nearer 50% at a minimum if you include NI and Pensions.

portobellojambo1

Total ?4.9m

Bonus 10% @ ?600k

I see the last post (apologies it was the last post when I was reading it, doesn't make sense now though to refer to it as the last post, post 8) on thread mentions a wage cap. no idea if it is right or wrong (i.e. I know there is a wage cap but don't what the actual cap is). I know that regards the squad player figure you mention above there may be one/two players maximum earning around 66% of that at the moment, but it is quite surprising how many of those you might tend to imagine are on reasonably decent money who are actually earning only about 33% of that figure.

First 3 words of your second sentence ended any interest. Don't think, you'll confuse the brain cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazzas right boot

20%?? Every player would be a higher rate tax payer at the wages you quote. Try nearer 50% at a minimum if you include NI and Pensions.

Employers contribution, not what the player pays.

Why are you angry all the time RM?

Says you with the Obama avatar showing the middle finger hahaha irony is lost on you eh ?

Bazzas right boot

ATM, surely that will increase.

Bazzas right boot

I see the last post (apologies it was the last post when I was reading it, doesn't make sense now though to refer to it as the last post, post 8) on thread mentions a wage cap. no idea if it is right or wrong (i.e. I know there is a wage cap but don't what the actual cap is). I know that regards the squad player figure you mention above there may be one/two players maximum earning around 66% of that at the moment, but it is quite surprising how many of those you might tend to imagine are on reasonably decent money who are actually earning only about 33% of that figure.

I'm not talking about now. Talking about after the new stand is built. Budge is paid and we are debt free.

I liked the picture.

Anyway, why are you so angry?

Have you been caught on camera doing something you shouldn't, or something?

Like what?

I dunno, just hypothesizing. Don't read too much into it.

Have you and Tosh had words? Only due to you normally give articulated reasons for a lot of your views, from what I've noticed.

Just seemed a bit blunt with him, was all.

To come up with a hypothesis you must have had the thought process or idea. I'm interested to know how you hypothesised I've been doing something in front of a camera ? Would be interesting for us to know how your mind works.

Bazzas right boot

First 3 words of your second sentence ended any interest. Don't think, you'll confuse the brain cell.

Good one, come up with that all by yourself? You must be proud.

That's the spirit. :thumbsup:

Not as hostile as a middle finger, but hey I'm an angry person so what would I know ?

Buffalo Bill

Total ?4.9m

Bonus 10% @ ?600k

Whilst I'm not confident in your exact breakdown of figures, you're right in suggesting that our wage budget could increase fairly significantly in the next few years. 

The new stand will not only increase capacity, but the corporate/banqueting facilities will take us to a different level, financially.

Good times ahead if the team keeps improving, and the fans keep supporting.

Bazzas right boot

Whilst I'm not confident in your exact breakdown of figures, you're right in suggesting that our wage budget could increase fairly significantly in the next few years.

The new stand will not only increase capacity, but the corporate/banqueting facilities will take us to a different level, financially.

Good times ahead if the team keeps improving, and the fans keep supporting.

That's the piont, my figures above are a basic at best, would be good if someone with our recent accounts and more knowledge could project theses costs after the new stand, factor in the increased capacity and corporate and get a educated guess at the revenue we could be generating.

We could then get a wage value of that, but the piont is we will have an increased budget and it's rather exciting. Could be making big steps.

siegementality

There are a lot of assumptions being made that any new stand will automatically increase revenue. Maybe someone would like to explain to me were the additional 4 thousand supporters and hundreds of corporate hospitality users are going to come from.

There are a lot of assumptions being made that any new stand will automatically increase revenue. Maybe someone would like to explain to me were the additional 4 thousand supporters and hundreds of corporate hospitality users are going to come from.

It may not increase that much right away, but as we have been seeing increased season ticket sales for the last 3/4 seasons, I think it's a fair assumption. Not to mention the corporate side of things. Do you not think our revenue will increase?

siegementality

It may not increase that much right away, but as we have been seeing increased season ticket sales for the last 3/4 seasons, I think it's a fair assumption. Not to mention the corporate side of things. Do you not think our revenue will increase?

I think any major increase in revenue is wholly dependant on the product on the pitch, as you would expect. While I accept there has been an increase in ST holders, that increase seems to have come from fans who were previously buying on a game by game basis. While season tickets have increased demand for tickets really hasn''t, hence we are getting much the same crowds as the last two seasons.

It appears to me that there are some on here who think we just need to build it to fill it and see an increase in the use of facilities. I'm afraid there will be a lot of hard work ahead before we can regularly get anywhere near 20,000 capacity crowds, especially given that 3 thousand plus of those will effectively have to be 'new' fans.

I think any major increase in revenue is wholly dependant on the product on the pitch, as you would expect. While I accept there has been an increase in ST holders, that increase seems to have come from fans who were previously buying on a game by game basis. While season tickets have increased demand for tickets really hasn''t, hence we are getting much the same crowds as the last two seasons.

It appears to me that there are some on here who think we just need to build it to fill it and see an increase in the use of facilities. I'm afraid there will be a lot of hard work ahead before we can regularly get anywhere near 20,000 capacity crowds, especially given that 3 thousand plus of those will effectively have to be 'new' fans.

I think that's a bit pessimistic a thought process when we are currently going up in terms of ticket sales not down. We will already be saving a significant amount just by no longer having the maintenance bill. I think we will grow in to our stand over time, but the hospitality side should pay almost immediate dividends.

Bazzas right boot

Don't think an average of 18k is a big leap of faith.

Increased corporate will pay dividends straight away as well.

To grow to 20k will take time and a good team on the park, I'd say we'll average over 17k next season and I think it will be between 18-19k.

siegementality

I think that's a bit pessimistic a thought process when we are currently going up in terms of ticket sales not down. We will already be saving a significant amount just by no longer having the maintenance bill. I think we will grow in to our stand over time, but the hospitality side should pay almost immediate dividends.

I don't know quite how it is pessimistic when it reflects where we are with ticket sales. our crowds haven't really increased, in fact you could argue that they have fallen very slightly given the number of sell outs we had in the championship.

As for the hospitality I'm sure the better facilities will generate more income outwith match days. Whether it generates income to the extent some people anticipate is another matter bearing in mind the OP's point was that our wage budget would increase once the new stand was built. Some people need to remember that Field of Dreams was a film, and if you build it they might not come. That's realistic not pessimistic.

I don't know quite how it is pessimistic when it reflects where we are with ticket sales. our crowds haven't really increased, in fact you could argue that they have fallen very slightly given the number of sell outs we had in the championship.

As for the hospitality I'm sure the better facilities will generate more income outwith match days. Whether it generates income to the extent some people anticipate is another matter bearing in mind the OP's point was that our wage budget would increase once the new stand was built. Some people need to remember that Field of Dreams was a film, and if you build it they might not come. That's realistic not pessimistic.

You honestly don't think that what you just posted is pessimistic?

siegementality

Don't think an average of 18k is a big leap of faith.

Increased corporate will pay dividends straight away as well.

To grow to 20k will take time and a good team on the park, I'd say we'll average over 17k next season and I think it will be between 18-19k.

Sorry to piss on your strawberries but a stand and corporate facilities will not automatically increase crowds. It will take a good team on the park for us to reach an average of 18k never mind 20k.

siegementality

You honestly don't think that what you just posted is pessimistic?

That's what I said, I think I am being realistic.

Have you ever done a business plan? It consists of more than build a new stand and stand back before you get knocked over in the rush of thousands of new people wanting to sit in it.

If you are looking for me to say everything will be easy and it will just take a couple of years before we are selling out every game you'll be disappointed. Football fans are fickle, it will take a lot of hard work on and off the field to bring the additional fans in, then keep them there. That is the realism of it.

That's what I said, I think I am being realistic.

Have you ever done a business plan? It consists of more than build a new stand and stand back before you get knocked over in the rush of thousands of new people wanting to sit in it.

If you are looking for me to say everything will be easy and it will just take a couple of years before we are selling out every game you'll be disappointed. Football fans are fickle, it will take a lot of hard work on and off the field to bring the additional fans in, then keep them there. That is the realism of it.

Nobody is saying it will be easy.

Nobody is saying build it and they will come.

Nobody is thinking we will suddenly jump up from our current average to a much higher one right away.

Nobody is saying or thinking these things. Nobody.

Now that that is out the way, everybody can surely now get back to enjoying the fact our season ticket sales are climbing season on season and that a moderate increase in capacity and improved corporate facilities are definitely going to see is making more money from our stadium.

i wish jj was my dad

While I think we are a long way away from routinely paying 5-7k a week, I'm very confident that we will continue to progress and, crucially, continue to sell out when the new stand is built*.

Our disappointing plateau after selling sow was in hindsight understandable but even some of the pant wetters might admit it has helped us bring in some upgrades right through the squad without stupid 'pushing the boat out' decisions to keep the sky sports generation happy.

As long as the club continue to keep the long term view on mind rather than gambling the farm on quick fixes we will be fine.

*Unlike Hibs

Bazzas right boot

Sorry to piss on your strawberries but a stand and corporate facilities will not automatically increase crowds. It will take a good team on the park for us to reach an average of 18k never mind 20k.

You see 18k as a stretch given our trend over the past few years. I'd bet my house on 17k average next year, think we will be over 18k average.

Just throw in 6 sellouts v rangers, Celtic and eh hibs next season, and keep the rest the same as this season we'd be 17k.

Very pessimistic, by your reasoning there's no piont in expanding the stadium.

siegementality

Nobody is saying it will be easy.

Nobody is saying build it and they will come.

Nobody is thinking we will suddenly jump up from our current average to a much higher one right away.

Nobody is saying or thinking these things. Nobody.

Now that that is out the way, everybody can surely now get back to enjoying the fact our season ticket sales are climbing season on season and that a moderate increase in capacity and improved corporate facilities are definitely going to see is making more money from our stadium.

Yeah you're right nobody is saying anything like these things, nobody except the OP whose talking about paying players 7k a week on the back of the new stand, increased average crowds of 18k and an immediate increase in corporate revenue.

You need to read this thread again.

siegementality

You see 18k as a stretch given our trend over the past few years. I'd bet my house on 17k average next year, think we will be over 18k average.

Just throw in 6 sellouts v rangers, Celtic and eh hibs next season, and keep the rest the same as this season we'd be 17k.

Very pessimistic, by your reasoning there's no piont in expanding the stadium.

Aye, Ok. I'll leave you to your happy wee world of paying players 7k a week.

I can see both sides to this discussion but sadly the quote above is true. It won't matter what capacity the ground has but what's put in front of us on a Saturday afternoon has a massive effect on the attendance's. Play like last weekend and it could easily be 18k and upwards, play like our previous half dozen games and crowds would dwindle significantly.

Buffalo Bill

Good times ahead if the team keeps improving, and the fans keep supporting.

I'm glad I wrote could and if there. I would hate to be accused of being optimistic.

Do think Ann and her team of professionals have done a business plan? I'll hazard a wee guess here: yes.

I think you are right.

For me, personally, as long as I can afford a season ticket, or to go to games, I always will. There will be a large core of fans like that, regardless of how good or bad the team is, but I suspect those who are not already doing that, and pick and choose games based on how we are doing, I am not sure they will change, even with a shiny new stand with excellent facilities.

It might do in the first few weeks or so, for the novelty factor, but once they have seen it, they will go back to the normal pattern. That is why I voted for the stand to be built to bring the capacity to only a four or five thousand more than it already is.

Of course, if we can maintain a challenge, and fill the stand, this generating more money, a better side, and a better challenge, then year it will work out nicely, but that is based on the product on the park, and for many people, that is more important than facilities.

We are doing the right thing though, and I feel, have got the capacity right.

We should make a extra million ticket sales a season. Retail in-house should be improving. Restaurant and other corporate will be making more money if run properly. More chance of league cup semi-finals and international matches being played. We will make far more money!

siegementality

Do think Ann and her team of professionals have done a business plan? I'll hazard a wee guess here: yes.

The question wasn't whether they had, it was whether the poster had.

I fully expect that the board have created an extensive business plan. Thankfully I am also sure that they will not have under estimated how difficult it will be to attract and retain new business and 'new' supporters.

The attitude of some posters, particularly the OP, who seems to think that crowds will automatically increase and we'll be paying 7k a week wages is frankly baffling. The new stand will obviously put us in a better place. But there is a long way to go before we are reaching capacity every week.

scott herbertson

We should make a extra million ticket sales a season. Retail in-house should be improving. Restaurant and other corporate will be making more money if run properly. More chance of league cup semi-finals and international matches being played. We will make far more money!

Not sure we will make that much in extra ticket sales consistently. However I m sure overall we'll make a fair bit extra. That will have to be balanced though against the ?12 million wer are paying for it, so its not a quick win investment and we wont see any more investment in the team from it for I would think at least 5 years

The Treasurer

Success on the park will no doubt affect whether we increase ST sales.

However the facilities (and packages) on offer will be more important to selling corporate seats and non match day income.

Without the product in the park producing the goods, ie. Cup finals, maybe winning one or two, and finishing 3rd/2nd maybe even a challenge then anyone predicting average attendances of 18k+ is blowing out their erse.

SM is spot on in what he's saying, there's being encouragingly optimistic and there's being plain stupid. We are no where near having a team and support that would generate that kind of average. FFS our capacity at present is just over 17k and there's tickets available still on match days. Add on 3k once the new stand is built where are these people suddenly going to appear from?

If the mentality in thinking more people will turn up because it's a nice new shiny stadium with good facilities was correct why have we stopped at just over 20K ?

Buffalo Bill

I fully expect that the board have created an extensive business plan. Thankfully I am also sure that they will not have under estimated how difficult it will be to attract and retain new business and 'new' supporters.

The attitude of some posters, particularly the OP, who seems to think that crowds will automatically increase and we'll be paying 7k a week wages is frankly baffling. The new stand will obviously put us in a better place. But there is a long way to go before we are reaching capacity every week.

As I said to Michael_Jackson and chrisyboy (many times) on the Main Stand thread, I think there is plenty of room for us to grow into the new capacity, especially as the majority of games we face are Cat B.  At the moment, we are just about selling out home capacity for these games and if demand is there, we can (hopefully) keep restricting the Old Firm (and Hibs) to two sections of the Roseburn. As Mothy said, I'd be delighted if we upped our average to around 17,500 next season when new stand is built, and then try and up it from there...gradually. 17,500 is only another 1,000 up on what we get now, but it would still be a tremendous figure to reach.

The two new floors of hospitality that will be on offer will hopefully include a range of options and prices. I suspect the big glass box thing on the roof is high-end hospitality, but hopefully the large dining area on the floor below is something more affordable. There is certainly a gap in the market for the ordinary fan to come to the stadium early, and sit down to lunch and a few pints.

Like the building up of our match-attending fan base, hospitality growth will be gradual, but I'm delighted we're building it.

If we make a good fist of running it, seven days a week, then yes, the wage bill will increase.

Buffalo Bill

Without the product in the park producing the goods, ie. Cup finals, maybe winning one or two, and finishing 3rd/2nd maybe even a challenge then anyone predicting average attendances of 18k+ is blowing out their erse.

SM is spot on in what he's saying, there's being encouragingly optimistic and there's being plain stupid. We are no where near having a team and support that would generate that kind of average. FFS our capacity at present is just over 17k and there's tickets available still on match days. Add on 3k once the new stand is built where are these people suddenly going to appear from?

If the mentality in thinking more people will turn up because it's a nice new shiny stadium with good facilities was correct why have we stopped at just over 20K ?

To answer the bit in bold, directly, the general consensus on the Main Stand thread is that we are restricted in how much capacity we can create with the various planning and HSE issues surrounding the site.  

I agree, we need to ensure the team is doing well in order to sustain growth. But you do agree that the new stand is a good thing, right?

Bazzas right boot

I ask the question, on my figures, turnover would need to be around ?12m, I asked the question will our turn over be near this in 2 or 3 seasons.

I haven't got time for a full business plan for goodness sake.

My wage budget was based on ?12m and @ 65%.

I was looking for someone with maybe more knowledge to project our income and a discussion about what we might be able to afford in a couple of seasons with increased finance and crowds.

If we cannot increase our wage and improve the quality of player, what's the piont in the new stand, just to make Tynecastle look better?

I'd say no, our turnover will increase, I find it interesting and exciting to think about where Ann is taking the club.

And of course the football team will need to support this, they go hand on hand, didn't think that needed said tbh.

Will better quality of seat available. More likely to get tickets together. Restaurant will be open every day. A good season and we will make far more than 12 million.

To answer the bit in bold, directly, the general consensus on the Main Stand thread is that we are restricted in how much capacity we can create with the various planning and HSE issues surrounding the site.

I agree, we need to ensure the team is doing well in order to sustain growth. But you do agree that the new stand is a good thing, right?

Of course I agree it's a good thing I've never said anything differently, my only issue is the actual size, spending 12million quid for only 3k extra seats and some hospitality seems a lot. I'd rather have had 23k or there abouts.

Although the general size of the stand was not the issue in my reply more so if it's taken the bigger we build the more will come was fact then why stop at 20k that was the point I was making.

I don't believe for a second we are limited to just over 20k, yes there are H&S issues and there's the land and brewery etc. All of which I'm sure could have been worked around in time. There were plans from Foulkes some 9 years ago stating the possibility of turning the pitch 45degrees and completely rebuilding would give a massive room for development. Costly yes but not impossible. That was just one option.

Buffalo Bill

Of course I agree it's a good thing I've never said anything differently, my only issue is the actual size, spending 12million quid for only 3k extra seats and some hospitality seems a lot. I'd rather have had 23k or there abouts.

Although the general size of the stand was not the issue in my reply more so if it's taken the bigger we build the more will come was fact then why stop at 20k that was the point I was making.

I don't believe for a second we are limited to just over 20k, yes there are H&S issues and there's the land and brewery etc. All of which I'm sure could have been worked around in time. There were plans from Foulkes some 9 years ago stating the possibility of turning the pitch 45degrees and completely rebuilding would give a massive room for development. Costly yes but not impossible. That was just one option.

Well the old stand definitely needs replacing so we were always going to have to shell out for a new one.

The reason (or decision) for the new capacity will remained unclear until someone from the club explains it. 

But the ?12M outlay is such that it will help us generate more income.

We could've built a much more modest stand with far lesser facilities, but the outlay should hopefully justify the returns year on year.

Archived