Our First Minister

Rudy T

Can I just make something clear...I'm not anti SNP and not making a political statement. It may be a simplistic and naive statement but the UK and it's future are in a complete state of flux at the moment.

So I would rather our leader told us just what she's doing to keep Scotland functioning while the rest of the country tries to regain some stability. As a result we might see a stronger Scotland as businesses etc see Scotland as a functioning stable environment to operate in. While this will clearly benefit the UK as a whole that matters not.

More people may turn towards Yes if they do get indy ref 2 as a result of Sturgeon showing real concern for the people now than her referendum agenda. By all means look at the possibilities but leave that as an aside in interviews, she's skilful enough to do that in any debate.

With the current indy ref chat dominating all conversations and statements she is only contributing to the bedlam and creating more uncertainty.

Can she not just park it and actually tell us and the world that Scotland is business as usual....is that too much to ask?

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
michael_bolton

Can I just make something clear...I'm not anti SNP and not making a political statement. It may be a simplistic and naive statement but the UK and it's future are in a complete state of flux at the moment.

So I would rather our leader told us just what she's doing to keep Scotland functioning while the rest of the country tries to regain some stability. As a result we might see a stronger Scotland as businesses etc see Scotland as a functioning stable environment to operate in. While this will clearly benefit the UK as a whole that matters not.

More people may turn towards Yes if they do get indy ref 2 as a result of Sturgeon showing real concern for the people now than her referendum agenda. By all means look at the possibilities but leave that as an aside in interviews, she's skilful enough to do that in any debate.

With the current indy ref chat dominating all conversations and statements she is only contributing to the bedlam and creating more uncertainty.

Can she not just park it and actually tell us and the world that Scotland is business as usual....is that too much to ask?

Makes no sense at all. We're in completely uncharted territory here politically, and you think that trying to move things forward is creating more uncertainty? No offence, mate, but that's a bit daft. All sides should now be pushing forward and seeing how to develop things next. Otherwise nothing will happen and uncertainty will persist.

It's in everyone's interests to clarify as quickly as possible what last week's vote actually means.

Are you actually saying that Scotland's elected leader should just sit passively and see where Scotland ends up? Is that what you view as political leadership? She's made her position quite clear (pre- and post-vote) and is now pursuing the agenda she has always had. I find it remarkable that you seem to be suggesting she should wait and let other countries/regions take the initiative.

Makes no sense at all. We're in completely uncharted territory here politically, and you think that trying to move things forward is creating more uncertainty? No offence, mate, but that's a bit daft. All sides should now be pushing forward and seeing how to develop things next. Otherwise nothing will happen and uncertainty will persist.

It's in everyone's interests to clarify as quickly as possible what last week's vote actually means.

Are you actually saying that Scotland's elected leader should just sit passively and see where Scotland ends up? Is that what you view as political leadership? She's made her position quite clear (pre- and post-vote) and is now pursuing the agenda she has always had. I find it remarkable that you seem to be suggesting she should wait and let other countries/regions take the initiative.

No I'm saying the opposite. She should be promoting Scotland as a stable environment with a leader who can keep us as an attractive proposition going forward. What she is doing at the moment is making us look like a country ready to throw itself into greater uncertainty.

Do you actually believe she has the answers to what an independent Scotland would be like? Do we have a strong ecomonic plan, would we get into the EU, would we have a currency? So many questions that require answers, answers she didn't have last time.

Thunderstruck

Perhaps her insistence on dribbling on about Independence is what led her to turn the SNP from a majority to a minority government.

There is now an air of annoyance about the place and it is as much with Salmond and Sturgeon as with the EuroRef result. Her famous "ability to read the public mood" might be escaping her this time.

I wonder how many of the no camp in the 2014 referendum also voted leave this time round? I voted no & leave. For me the EU was not a factor in my reason for voting no.

I suspect most of the no vote then will still vote that way & Nippy Nick ken's this fine well.

michael_bolton

No I'm saying the opposite. She should be promoting Scotland as a stable environment with a leader who can keep us as an attractive proposition going forward. What she is doing at the moment is making us look like a country ready to throw itself into greater uncertainty.

Do you actually believe she has the answers to what an independent Scotland would be like? Do we have a strong ecomonic plan, would we get into the EU, would we have a currency? So many questions that require answers, answers she didn't have last time.

That part is simply incredible to me. The uncertainty exists because of the result last week. Taking no action simply allows that uncertainty to go on longer. She is proposing talking to the EU and finding out where we stand. Once that's done a decision can be taken on whether another referendum is appropriate and what that campaign will look like (this will be based on what the EU tells us about any proposed membership). That is a perfectly common sense approach at this point. She's finding information we need to make the next decision. What exactly is the problem with that?

Perhaps her insistence on dribbling on about Independence is what led her to turn the SNP from a majority to a minority government.

There is now an air of annoyance about the place and it is as much with Salmond and Sturgeon as with the EuroRef result. Her famous "ability to read the public mood" might be escaping her this time.

The SNP increased their absolute vote in both categories in the last election, so I think you're taking a fanciful punt with that one. She's on the same side as Scottish public opinion on the EU question and is right to be taking action. She's not suggesting having a referendum tomorrow, I really don't see why some unionists are being such drama queens about it. 1) Find out what the EU says. 2) Take action as appropriate in that framework. What's wrong with that?

HaymarketJambo

The Labour Party are shambles as usual  - The Conservatives are looking for a new leader  - The LibDems (Who)

And 

Nicola Sturgeon is playing a blinder. 

michael_bolton

The Labour Party are shambles as usual  - The Conservatives are looking for a new leader  - The LibDems (Who)

And 

Nicola Sturgeon is playing a blinder. 

At this point she's certainly the only one doing her job.

The total lack of leadership elsewhere is pretty alarming.

I wonder how many of the no camp in the 2014 referendum also voted leave this time round? I voted no & leave. For me the EU was not a factor in my reason for voting no.

I suspect most of the no vote then will still vote that way & Nippy Nick ken's this fine well.

Can i ask the reasons you voted that way?

That part is simply incredible to me. The uncertainty exists because of the result last week. Taking no action simply allows that uncertainty to go on longer. She is proposing talking to the EU and finding out where we stand. Once that's done a decision can be taken on whether another referendum is appropriate and what that campaign will look like (this will be based on what the EU tells us about any proposed membership). That is a perfectly common sense approach at this point. She's finding information we need to make the next decision. What exactly is the problem with that?

The SNP increased their absolute vote in both categories in the last election, so I think you're taking a fanciful punt with that one. She's on the same side as Scottish public opinion on the EU question and is right to be taking action. She's not suggesting having a referendum tomorrow, I really don't see why some unionists are being such drama queens about it. 1) Find out what the EU says. 2) Take action as appropriate in that framework. What's wrong with that?

Wait a minute. The vote was do you want the UK to remain or Leave....does that mean Scottish people want an independent Scotland in the EU or is that just a huge assumption and being used to promote indy 2?

Here's the bare facts an independence ref is decisive and creates uncertainty. Is that good for the country - yes or no?

Ruth Davidson, in a short space of time, has shown herself to be very able, popular and, on the showing of the recent televised debates, much more eloquent, intellectually agile and, importantly, personable than Sturgeon who hits the shrill button far too often. Davidson's record in their head-to-head debates is very good.

Would you want a Conservative govrenment in power in Scotland?

It?s time to discuss reality and not the rhetoric.

Here we have Sturgeon and her party campaigning for an independent Scotland within the EU.

If that?s not a contradiction in terms then I don?t know what is.

There are No Independent Nations within the EU.

That?s why the informed British people have just voted to exit.

Nations much larger than us are held and squeezed by a non translucent dictatorial unelected EU Commission and Council. And you want to join them!

Scotland independent within Europe-

Miss Sturgeon is either blind to the truth or just another weaver of tales.

The EU commision is appointed by the nation states of the EU, who in turn are elected by their voters.

michael_bolton

Wait a minute. The vote was do you want the UK to remain or Leave....(1)does that mean Scottish people want an independent Scotland in the EU or is that just a huge assumption and being used to promote indy 2?

(2)Here's the bare facts an independence ref is decisive and creates uncertainty. Is that good for the country - yes or no?

1. Nobody knows that at this point. I think it's fair to say it depends on what's going to happen next. Which is what Sturgeon (unlike any other politician at the moment) is trying to find out. I'm amazed that you seem to see this as a negative. You genuinely seem to favour passive inaction.

2. Those are not bare facts. Those are your opinions on something that hasn't happened yet. Given the expression of support for the EU made by the Scottish electorate last week (much stronger, remember, than the support for the UK), if Nicola Sturgeon can come back to the Scottish people with the promise of a good deal from the EU then a future referendum on independence may not be divisive or create much uncertainty.

She's doing her job. She's finding out the lay of the land and will then decide on her next move after that.

For a not political person that is a very political rant.

funny how all these 'non-political' posters seem to be anti-SNP, sure it is just a coincidence :)

As the Labour and Tory parties disintegrate before our eyes, the First Minister of Scotland stands out as a real leader. I know it must stick in the throat of all our loyal unionists on here but she is the only person in control of her party and country. As the fallout of the EU referendum continues and we end up with the most right-wing government of the UK in my lifetime then Indyref2 is not only certain but, IMO, certain to be a YES  

michael_bolton

What I find disheartening is when people treat politics like a football team, where you stick to your narrative whatever the reality.

For example, if Hibs have an excellent player, I'm unlikely to openly say so. If Hibs have a genuinely good team, I'll find reasons to undermine them or discredit them.

That's fine. That's football.

People doing that with politics is pretty sad. Sturgeon is displaying genuine leadership. The kind that would be valued in any business, organisation or government. Yet some people simply can't bring themselves to say that she's doing her job well this week just because they have different views to her. It's pretty sad.

Maroon Sailor

funny how all these 'non-political' posters seem to be anti-SNP, sure it is just a coincidence :)

As the Labour and Tory parties disintegrate before our eyes, the First Minister of Scotland stands out as a real leader. I know it must stick in the throat of all our loyal unionists on here but she is the only person in control of her party and country. As the fallout of the EU referendum continues and we end up with the most right-wing government of the UK in my lifetime then Indyref2 is not only certain but, IMO, certain to be a YES

The only thing certain in politics is uncertainty

Thunderstruck

Their absolute vote increased because turnout was 5 points higher while she managed a 1 point increase (both from 2011). A lot of her vote swung away to Ruth Davidson's Conservatives - most markedly in rural areas.

It will be interesting to see how many of the nearly 1.5million Scots who voted to leave the EU overlap (in a Venn Diagram sort of way) with the 1.06million in the SNP support from May.

1. Nobody knows that at this point. I think it's fair to say it depends on what's going to happen next. Which is what Sturgeon (unlike any other politician at the moment) is trying to find out. I'm amazed that you seem to see this as a negative. You genuinely seem to favour passive inaction.

2. Those are not bare facts. Those are your opinions on something that hasn't happened yet. Given the expression of support for the EU made by the Scottish electorate last week (much stronger, remember, than the support for the UK), if Nicola Sturgeon can come back to the Scottish people with the promise of a good deal from the EU then a future referendum on independence may not be divisive or create much uncertainty.

She's doing her job. She's finding out the lay of the land and will then decide on her next move after that.

So what you're advocating here is we all sit back and wait for Sturgeon to get an answer from the EU. I'm not convinced a possible independent Scotland joining them will be that high on their agenda right now. In the meantime we are viewed as a country in as much a state of uncertainty as the the rest of the UK when in reality we could be viewed as the only sound investment within the 4 regions.

Again, why is joining the EU regarded as the golden nugget to independence? What about the real issues that proved way out the last time?

Also the UK voted leave, I'd suggest the overwhelming reason was ignorance over immigration. Do you not suspect that would also become an issue in another EU member independent Scotland referendum. I'd suggest as decisive and emotive subjects that's right up there. Then we have then uncertainty of who else wants to leave the EU so what would we be signing up too?

My point possibly selfishly is I want our leader to promote our country as a place businesses can invest in knowing despite the change to the UK as a whole for at least the next 2 years we are the place to be within the UK. Yes let her explore possibilities but don't make it the absolute focus of every statement and conversation she's engaged in.

michael_bolton

So what you're advocating here is we all sit back and wait for Sturgeon to get an answer from the EU. (1)I'm not convinced a possible independent Scotland joining them will be that high on their agenda right now. In the meantime (2)we are viewed as a country in as much a state of uncertainty as the the rest of the UK when in reality we could be viewed as the only sound investment within the 4 regions.

(3)Again, why is joining the EU regarded as the golden nugget to independence? What about the real issues that proved way out the last time?

Also the UK voted leave, (4)I'd suggest the overwhelming reason was ignorance over immigration. Do you not suspect that would also become an issue in another EU member independent Scotland referendum. I'd suggest as decisive and emotive subjects that's right up there. (5)Then we have then uncertainty of who else wants to leave the EU so what would we be signing up too?

(6)My point possibly selfishly is I want our leader to promote our country as a place businesses can invest in knowing despite the change to the UK as a whole for at least the next 2 years we are the place to be within the UK. Yes let her explore possibilities but don't make it the absolute focus of every statement and conversation she's engaged in.

1 - On the contrary. The EU currently has a huge incentive to retain Scotland/attract Scotland's new membership after Brexit. It could be seen to stem the flow and help avert future exits.

2 - How do you work out we could be viewed as a safer bet? We're in the exact same situation as the rest of the UK at the moment. Your assertion has no basis in reality.

3 - Nobody is saying it is the golden nugget. However, the electorate have now showed strong support for Scotland remaining in the EU. It is therefore fair to say that our relationship with the EU would be significant in any future independence referendum.

4 - There's no evidence for that. The people of Scotland comfortably voted to remain in the EU just a few days ago. Suggests the issues you mention aren't likely to be a big deal in Scotland. You might have a point if Scotland had voted leave, but in reality you don't.

5 - See point 1.

6 - You honestly think businesses see 2 years as a period of stability worth investing in? Again, I'd respectfully suggest that you are removed from reality. Sturgeon is - correctly - looking past 2 years from now and trying to establish some kind of stability. At the moment we don't have that.

I'm finding it hard to see where you're coming from. No offence, but you're wrong in pretty much every sentence you write on this subject. I'm going for a run.

So what you're advocating here is we all sit back and wait for Sturgeon to get an answer from the EU. I'm not convinced a possible independent Scotland joining them will be that high on their agenda right now. In the meantime we are viewed as a country in as much a state of uncertainty as the the rest of the UK when in reality we could be viewed as the only sound investment within the 4 regions.

Again, why is joining the EU regarded as the golden nugget to independence? What about the real issues that proved way out the last time?

Also the UK voted leave, I'd suggest the overwhelming reason was ignorance over immigration. Do you not suspect that would also become an issue in another EU member independent Scotland referendum. I'd suggest as decisive and emotive subjects that's right up there. Then we have then uncertainty of who else wants to leave the EU so what would we be signing up too?

My point possibly selfishly is I want our leader to promote our country as a place businesses can invest in knowing despite the change to the UK as a whole for at least the next 2 years we are the place to be within the UK. Yes let her explore possibilities but don't make it the absolute focus of every statement and conversation she's engaged in.

I think you're right in the suggestion of ignorance over immigration being a key issue in the EU referendum.

I disagree that it would be anywhere near as important an issue in any Scottish referendum. The demographics are hugely different and attitudes are hugely different because of that.

As for Sturgeon, listen to what she says rather than let the media focus on indyref at every opportunity. Nothing has been ruled in or out yet. 

Thank god for Nicola Sturgeon.  Someone who stands up for the country she represents.  Someone with guts.  Maybe if Corbeyn had balls we would not have been dragged out of Europe.  She's about the most credible politician in the UK just now.  

KineticBeat

With all the political shambles over the past few days, Nicola Sturgeon seems to be the one politician who has come out and said "Right, here is my plan after what's happened". 

You may not agree with what the plan is (and it may not come to anything), but at least she has one, which is more than any major Tory/Labor politician has at the moment. She hasn't outright said that she is pushing for Indy2 but has said that she is exploring every option she has for Scotland to remain part of the EU (which Indy2 is of course) because that is what Scotland has voted on. 

There are some who say that she and the SNP should go along with the overall result but I feel that would be political suicide for her and the SNP. 

She currently has the biggest balls of any UK politician. 

Thank god for Nicola Sturgeon.  Someone who stands up for the country she represents.  Someone with guts.  Maybe if Corbeyn had balls we would not have been dragged out of Europe.  She's about the most credible politician in the UK just now.  

Corbyn was in the brown stuff as soon as the Referendum was announced. As a Euro-sceptic, he would have been slaughtered had he taken a prominent role in campaigning.

He had to try and balance not being at the front shouting and not being at the back hiding.

His enemies in his own party had a perfect scenario to strike, and, boy, they did !

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Standing up for the country = looking for reasons to hold another referendum.

Their absolute vote increased because turnout was 5 points higher while she managed a 1 point increase (both from 2011). A lot of her vote swung away to Ruth Davidson's Conservatives - most markedly in rural areas.

It will be interesting to see how many of the nearly 1.5million Scots who voted to leave the EU overlap (in a Venn Diagram sort of way) with the 1.06million in the SNP support from May.

Excuse me for being thick.

Is that figure right more scots voted to leave the EU than voted for snp.

Excuse me for being thick.

Is that figure right more scots voted to leave the EU than voted for snp.

The SNP May number is right, the leave number is way out....1,018,332 was the actual figure.

luckyBatistuta

Why would you change to no? Everyone I know who voted yes still will and everyone who voted no would now vote yes.

I voted for the UK to leave the EU, so I'm not going to vote to rejoin it again. I think the EU is in a bit of a mess at the moment and only going to get worse, so I would rather vote No. If it was for an independent Scotland outside the EU, then I would listen to what they have to offer, but I feel that we weren't told the true facts about the oil industry at the last Indyref. Since the indy vote, there have been oil rigs scrapped, thousands of jobs have been lost and billions have been slashed from oil revenues. I was speaking to someone just the other day that I know, who lives in Aberdeen and she said that it's horrendous up there. She said that loads of people she knows, in the industry have lost their jobs,houses,etc. I really couldn't stomach another ref right now though. Everybody seems to be at each other's throats all the time.

Edit: and I really don't like Nicola. I know that a Yes vote isn't for her, she will move on at some point, but she really grates me.

Thunderstruck

The SNP May number is right, the leave number is way out....1,018,332 was the actual figure.

Sorry, my typo -I copied the % before adjusting for turnout.

deesidejambo

How is Nicolas intent to use the Scottish Gov'ts veto coming along?   Is that realistic option?  If it is, then Brexit is sunk.

But if it was just waffle, then she should retract to avoid raising hopes in Remainers.

So was it realistic?   Or waffle?

Seymour M Hersh

Maybe if he'd been totally honest about his strong scepticism of the EU the margin would have been greater for the Leave camp. 

Space Mackerel

One things for sure, after the Brexit vote, she's going to be around for a long long time. 

Better get used to it.

:brucey:

How is Nicolas intent to use the Scottish Gov'ts veto coming along?   Is that realistic option?  If it is, then Brexit is sunk.

But if it was just waffle, then she should retract to avoid raising hopes in Remainers.

So was it realistic?   Or waffle?

Technically yes, sort of in that Westminster would over-ride it and we all know how that would look, so realistically, no.

deesidejambo

Technically yes, sort of in that Westminster would over-ride it and we all know how that would look, so realistically, no.

Not clear.

Why would Westminster over-ride a veto from Scotland?    If it went to a vote then it would be upheld.

I'm not clear on the mechanism here.

Not clear.

Why would Westminster over-ride a veto from Scotland?    If it went to a vote then it would be upheld.

I'm not clear on the mechanism here.

From BBC online

It could be argued - it is already being argued - that, if it came to a constitutional battle, Westminster would have the final say. Holyrood might withhold consent for the legislative moves to implement Brexit.

Westminster might note such a verdict, no doubt with polite gratitude - then proceed to implement Brexit, exercising its over-riding sovereignty.

Would that be wise? Would it be politically smart? Those are different questions, to discuss should this issue arise for real.

To be clear, Nicola Sturgeon is not personally making a big deal of this. She is not issuing scatter-gun threats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36633244

deesidejambo

From BBC online

It could be argued - it is already being argued - that, if it came to a constitutional battle, Westminster would have the final say. Holyrood might withhold consent for the legislative moves to implement Brexit.

Westminster might note such a verdict, no doubt with polite gratitude - then proceed to implement Brexit, exercising its over-riding sovereignty.

Would that be wise? Would it be politically smart? Those are different questions, to discuss should this issue arise for real.

To be clear, Nicola Sturgeon is not personally making a big deal of this. She is not issuing scatter-gun threats.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36633244

To me it could be a golden ticket to can the whole thing.    If Scotland scupper the legislation, I can see an option for Westminster to start again.   Possibly wishful thinking.

The Real Maroonblood

Dear Nicola,

Thanks for making me ashamed to be Scottish.

i8hibsh

Why are you ashamed?

Why are you ashamed?

I love so much about my country but I can't remember the last time I seen anything about us on the news and did not cringe.

The Real Maroonblood

I love so much about my country but I can't remember the last time I seen anything about us on the news and did not cringe.

At one time you were quite a fervent Nationalist.

When did it all go wrong?

At one time you were quite a fervent Nationalist.

When did it all go wrong?

Haha I would not go that far but I was once a very very proud Scot as the tattoos on my body will back up.

The Real Maroonblood

Haha I would not go that far but I was once a very very proud Scot as the tattoos on my body will back up.

I hope you keep your tattoos as you might mellow with age.

One things for sure, after the Brexit vote, she's going to be around for a long long time.

Better get used to it.

. :brucey:

But why the smug face? can't be arsed with people when it comes to something as important as the future of our country that there's one upmanship. It's a bit like no voters being made to feel less Scottish for their choice. Not required.

Space Mackerel

But why the smug face? can't be arsed with people when it comes to something as important as the future of our country that there's one upmanship. It's a bit like no voters being made to feel less Scottish for their choice. Not required.

I quite like her, always thought that she might not have the presence, media and debating skills that Salmond had.

Point still stands I'm afraid, the SNP have the Parliament locked down, shes popular up here as well as down South. Some things you just got to live with. Just like I had to live with mostly Blue Tory and Red Tories all my life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunderstruck

I quite like her, always thought that she might not have the presence, media and debating skills that Salmond had.

Point still stands I'm afraid, the SNP have the Parliament locked down, shes popular up here as well as down South. Some things you just got to live with. Just like I had to live with mostly Blue Tory and Red Tories all my life.

Now it's Yellow and Tartan Tories?

Space Mackerel

Now it's Yellow and Tartan Tories?

Aye?

cc76cf1d94b1e9b72d6b617781569e65.jpg

1 - On the contrary. The EU currently has a huge incentive to retain Scotland/attract Scotland's new membership after Brexit. It could be seen to stem the flow and help avert future exits.

2 - How do you work out we could be viewed as a safer bet? We're in the exact same situation as the rest of the UK at the moment. Your assertion has no basis in reality.

3 - Nobody is saying it is the golden nugget. However, the electorate have now showed strong support for Scotland remaining in the EU. It is therefore fair to say that our relationship with the EU would be significant in any future independence referendum.

4 - There's no evidence for that. The people of Scotland comfortably voted to remain in the EU just a few days ago. Suggests the issues you mention aren't likely to be a big deal in Scotland. You might have a point if Scotland had voted leave, but in reality you don't.

5 - See point 1.

6 - You honestly think businesses see 2 years as a period of stability worth investing in? Again, I'd respectfully suggest that you are removed from reality. Sturgeon is - correctly - looking past 2 years from now and trying to establish some kind of stability. At the moment we don't have that.

I'm finding it hard to see where you're coming from. No offence, but you're wrong in pretty much every sentence you write on this subject. I'm going for a run.

Hope you enjoyed your run.

1/5 except we're told Spain may Veto. Other countries looking to get in are a decade away from doing so, not sure fast track in us in would please them. And there's already at least 4 countries looking to leave.

2. No we're not. We have a stable government for a start and several devolved powers.

3. Again No. They showed support for the UK to remain not Scotland.

4. See point 3. And add as it stands when the borders in the rest of the UK are closed if we open ours their will be a fear and it will be seized upon by the no campaign that we will see unprecedented levels of immigration.

5. See 1.

6. Yes they absolutely do. If they think there is a stable environment to operate in North of the border they will shift. The work generated by decoupling ourselves from the EU will see the IT market in particular hit a fairly buoyant period. We have the skills up here to perform these large projects and should be promoting that fact.

Archived