Our First Minister

Rudy T

I'm not what could be described as a political person. I'm generally across the bigger issues through watching the news etc. However I generally don't get into chats about politics.

At the moment though I'm getting so wound up with Nicola Sturgeon. We have the government of the UK in disarray with a resigned Prime Minister, the opposition party falling apart at a time when the country as a whole is entering a huge period of change and uncertainty, this is a time for strong leadership not this complete carnage.

In Scotland we're fortunate enough to have a devolved parliament and and overwhelmingly elected party running us. Or at least that's what they should be doing. Instead our leader is back on the campaign trail for another independence referendum another 15 million pound spend and a year spent campaigning instead of leading us through this cluster**** created by the latest referendum. So we've had indy ref a general election and an eu ref and this so called leader is attempting to lunch us into another device debate.

Lots of people who voted no also voted SNP because they thought they were the strongest party to lead Scotland, not to throw us into another indy ref.

So Nicola please get on with your job or step aside and let someone who is prepared to lead us do your job!

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Phil Dunphy

A perfectly valid point.

We're fresh off the back of two very divisive referenda, which have bordered on the vitriolic and hateful on a few occasions. What's needed is to try and work together to make things better for everyone, not preying on peoples emotions and using heightened tensions to manipulate voters into a third bitter referendum. But it genuinely doesn't seem like the SNP want to let things heal, they want to use this unrest to their own end.

It's actually a bit frightening what they're willing to do to get their end. Independence at all costs.

I'm not what could be described as a political person. I'm generally across the bigger issues through watching the news etc. However I generally don't get into chats about politics.

At the moment though I'm getting so wound up with Nicola Sturgeon. We have the government of the UK in disarray with a resigned Prime Minister, the opposition party falling apart at a time when the country as a whole is entering a huge period of change and uncertainty, this is a time for strong leadership not this complete carnage.

In Scotland we're fortunate enough to have a devolved parliament and and overwhelmingly elected party running us. Or at least that's what they should be doing. Instead our leader is back on the campaign trail for another independence referendum another 15 million pound spend and a year spent campaigning instead of leading us through this cluster**** created by the latest referendum. So we've had indy ref a general election and an eu ref and this so called leader is attempting to lunch us into another device debate.

Lots of people who voted no also voted SNP because they thought they were the strongest party to lead Scotland, not to throw us into another indy ref.

So Nicola please get on with your job or step aside and let someone who is prepared to lead us do your job!

She's leader of the Scottish National Party whose key manifesto aim is to achieve an Independent Scotland. On this basis you could argue that she is very much doing her job.

She's leader of the Scottish National Party whose key manifesto aim is to achieve an Independent Scotland. On this basis you could argue that she is very much doing her job.

.....and they keep getting voted back in, goddammit !

"Once in a generation"!!

For a not political person that is a very political rant.

Westminster has no plan, where as she clearly has. The UK government is an embarrassment.

Leaving the EU could have serious consequences for Scotland, so she is suggesting we look into asking the Scottish people if independence and EU is preferred to going solo with the UK. It may not be the ideal solution for Scotland, but the lesser of two evils. The lack of a plan from the UK government is quite concerning, with the Tory party in disarray and Labour falling apart. It's only Nicola that has a grip of the outcome and a direction to go in.

Even as a independence voter and SNP supporter I wish we could wait for another referendum as right now is far from the ideal time

However we have two year deadline as that is when the UK will leave the EU (MAYBE BEFORE)

We try to rejoin any other time spain will veto it as they are currently in their own fight to keep their country together and see us as a precedent.

So it is now never if we want to remain in the EU

Jason Dufner

She is doing her job.

Her parties manifesto states that change like Scotland being taken out the EU against our will would lead to the SNP requesting a second referendum.

This is the mandate she has been elected with and she is getting on with it.

ToadKiller Dog

I would be dissapointed if the first minister of Scotland didn't explore the various options for Scotland after Thursday's vote .

Seems that's what she is doing talking to the electorate ,London and Europe .

She isn't pushing for a referendum yet , but pointing out that it could be a consequence .

And to me highly likely .

She is one of the few politicians not hiding or infighting .

Even the English media acknowledge this .

She's reacting to the disarray caused by the Tory ex-leader down south's desire to hang on to his position being greater than his concern for the welfare of the UK.

When you compare Cameron and Corbyn to the leaders of the two largest parties at Holyrood, you have to conclude that two of them are utter buffoons and two of them actually look as if they know what they're doing.

Thunderstruck

Well said. The country needs unity not self-serving opportunism; we have had enough of that in the past few years. The questions have been asked and answers given so accept the will of the people and get on with managing the country.

The people who voted NO due to the UK government saying that staying in the UK was the only way of Scotland not being thrown out of the EU deserve the chance to change their vote.

3fingersreid

Don't particularly like her , don't like her party however she is doing her job by trying to strengthen her and her party's hand tbh.

Trapper John McIntyre

Down to her DNA she is all for Independence. Everything in her life is directed towards that end and she will say and do absolutely anything to achieve it.

Never been fooled by her and never will.

Oh, and she loves the attention and the trappings of power that come with it all.

So when the glorious day arrives when she achieves her goal and we are all paying for it with an absolutely tanked economy, no oil and feck all future but Greek style problems including mass unemployment, no NHS and terminal austerity, along with the Euro and EU strictures to obey, just remember how much of a blinder she played.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

I think she has handled this well, and hope she maximises the opportunity this presents.  And I don't automatically mean independence.

It may be PR, but my cynical old heart thawed a bit when she made the first part of her speech to re-assure other EU citizens already living in Scotland that they were welcome here.

John Findlay

Whether others care to admit it or not. When it comes to being a party leader and states person she leaves the others in the shade.

Jambof3tornado

She's also first minister of Scotland, whose people voted overwhelmingly against independence. She needs to represent the country.

For what its worth I thought she played down indyref2 talk on tv this morning in favour of looking at other options chat.

Still dont trust her.

3fingersreid

If she delivers independence and EU membership for Scotland I'll add her to my w@nk bank.

She might get her face on one of the euro's we'd need to be using , so you could use that to get you going ;)

She's also first minister of Scotland, whose people voted overwhelmingly against independence. She needs to represent the country.

For what its worth I thought she played down indyref2 talk on tv this morning in favour of looking at other options chat.

Still dont trust her.

Cameron also took us into a referendum that many didn't want but he was elected with that possibility in their manifesto so he had every right to proceed. The SNP manifesto had a similar commitment, albeit with a caveat, so has every right, imo, to raise the possibility ( for that;s all it is at present ) of a second referendum.

Silvery_Moon

Well said. The country needs unity not self-serving opportunism; we have had enough of that in the past few years. The questions have been asked and answers given so accept the will of the people and get on with managing the country.

She is following the will of the people. The 62% that want to stay in the EU.

Nicola Sturgeon should really stick to getting the krankies back to the top of the entertainment world, you don't see them much since she became a politician.

Thunderstruck

Whether others care to admit it or not. When it comes to being a party leader and states person she leaves the others in the shade.

Ruth Davidson, in a short space of time, has shown herself to be very able, popular and, on the showing of the recent televised debates, much more eloquent, intellectually agile and, importantly, personable than Sturgeon who hits the shrill button far too often. Davidson's record in their head-to-head debates is very good.

Still dont trust her.

Looking at other options. There is more chance of my bank agreeing to give me a ?5m mortgage than of the EU admitting a non-independent Scotland.

She also claimed 'there are no rules' governing the Brexit process, having referred to Article 50 practically in the same sentence.

I'll give her this, though: the Leave campaign don't seem to have prepared anything remotely comparable to the 'Scotland's Future' white paper. More difficult in their situation to have a coherent 'plan', sure, but still.

John Findlay

Ruth Davidson, in a short space of time, has shown herself to be very able, popular and, on the showing of the recent televised debates, much more eloquent, intellectually agile and, importantly, personable than Sturgeon who hits the shrill button far too often. Davidson's record in their head-to-head debates is very good.

In my opinion she is still only half the politician Sturgeon is. Regards shrilling. I think you got Sturgeon mixed up with Dugdale.

The EU referendum was a UK wide question about the UK staying or leaving. The U.K. Rightly or wrongly democratically voted to leave. Sturgeon is out of order. The vote was not does Scotland, does Wales, does N Ireland, does London, does whoever, the question was asked of the collective UK and an answer and instruction was given. Leave.

Sturgeon needs to accept the democratic will of the U.K. which included over a million Scots. To do anything other is utterly wrong.

Space Mackerel

There's 2 threads that are running the now covering this. Why start another.

Somebody call the whaaaaaaambulance please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Placid Casual

To many of those on the outside looking in, she is regarded as an outstanding politician. Very few of these around at the moment unfortunately.

There's 2 threads that are running the now covering this. Why start another.

Somebody call the whaaaaaaambulance please.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He just wanted to let everyone know he is not a political person.

Before starting out on a very political anti SNP rant.

Thunderstruck

In my opinion she is still only half the politician Sturgeon is. Regards shrilling. I think you got Sturgeon mixed up with Dugdale.

Disagree. I recall the pre-Indy debate at the Hydro where she could not deal with Davidson or Galloway and went up an octave before ranting and insulting. There are more recent examples (most FMQs) where questions are unanswered and she resorts to insult, and a raised, shrill voice.

Davidson performed far better than Sturgeon against Leave in the televised debates. If she spent less time peppering sentences with "the Tories" or "the hated Tories", she might get a better hearing from the non-fanatics.

The Real Maroonblood

. ******* embarrassing the way she's carrying on just now.

It's terrible.

Nicola oot.

Absolutely this.

Yes she's the leader of the SNP and some would argue she's doing her job by pushing for an Independant Scotland.. However..

While you're doing that Nicola Hen there are a few things that the Scotland in the here and now would quite like addressed and, incidentally, by addressing them you may gain a bit of kudos in the wider world not just among the flag wavers..

For instance:

Homelessness

Prison reform

The roads (I'm West Lothian based but the roads in Edinburgh are particular are abysmally poor)

Education

Mental Health care

Emergency health care

Everyday health care

OAP care

Interesting to note that at least 4 of these are all linked closely. Treat one and you lesson the burden on the others at a stroke.

What I'm saying is, if you want to lead, lead by example and do good for the people of the country you so dearly love.

If, on the other hand, your sole purpose is to mudsling, name call and push a singular agenda then feck off coz we need action, not blaming others for things that could be sorted by those in power now.

The purpose of the Government is to Govern now. Not in 10-15 years time when they think they'll be remembered fondly for leading the country into independance way back when. 

There is a "push" from the remain campaign to show the generation gap (tell us something we don't know about!) and the undertones of hidden racism and self preservation of the elderly inlfuencing the Leave vote.. The remains saying the elderly (ie over 30) don't care about the youth as they've got it made so screw the youth. Utter pish. The elderly need the youth as they (the working ones at least) pay the pensions of the elderly. Just as they (the now elderly) paid the pensions of previos generations. NI Contributions do not pay for your pension, they pay ofr the pensions of the elderly now. As shouls the contributions of future youth pay for the pensions of todays youth.

Basically stop pontificating about independance and put into action motions and actions that can SHOW the world that an independant Scotland is progressive, humane, socially inclusive and, above all, fair. Respect on the larger world stage will be more forthcoming than a few hundred thousand saltire waving sheep. 

Those who CAN act, should. If not, it's just a waste isn't it?

Trapper John McIntyre

I'm sure you can find worse on the Daily Mail website.

The Scotsman's not bad, too.

Bowmans_Boot

You mean like looking after and defending the wishes of the majority of people in Scotland?

Trapper John McIntyre

You mean like looking after and defending the wishes of the majority of people in Scotland?

You mean those who voted No in 2014?

If you think that UK is the same proposition that those who voted no, then you are mistaken.

The leave campaign did not wait 5minutes before admitting the ?350 million cost campaign issue was not correct and none of them admitting responsibility for it.

We are currently not having indref 2 but it is an option among many others being considered.

Likely scenario UK will go for EEA partner scenario and pay all the same fees to the EU, this time with no say(no MEPs). This requires free movement of people too so leave immigration issue is pointless as nothing will change on that front.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

The people who voted NO due to the UK government saying that staying in the UK was the only way of Scotland not being thrown out of the EU deserve the chance to change their vote.

Probably swing the vote back by about 6.

Honestly i burst oot laffin at that

coconut doug

I presume you can substantiate these comments and refute polling evidence to the contrary. Nicola is the most popular person in Scotland by a considerable margin. Ruth not quoted. https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/11/01/nicola-sturgeon-scotlands-most-popular-person/ Nicola is also the most popular politician in the U.K. Not bad for somebody who wants to break up the country. Again Ruth not quoted. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13211668.Poll_shows_Sturgeon_is_now_the_most_popular_politician_across_Britain/

Ruth told us a No vote would prevent us having to the EU as the Tories would not win the election and that there would not be a referendum. Is this what you mean by intellectually agile?

For shrill see Dugdale and as for personable it's a matter of opinion and opinion says Nicola is No1 in Scotland.

Perhaps you should stop the personal attacks in this form and stick to the Wee nippy, Jimmy Krankie  insults that we all find so funny.

Bowmans_Boot

The vast majority of people in Scotland wish to remain in the EU and she is doing her utmost to try to make this happen. If that results in IndyRef2 then the No voters have the opportunity to repeat their vote.

In the entire UK, the only leader who is actually being positive and trying to do something is Nicola Sturgeon. You can disagree with her politics but I do not see how anybody could disagree with her dedication, hard work and commitment to the nation.

Trouble is, an accurate comparison cannot be made between No voters and Remain voters..

Who is to say that the only people who voted in both votes are the exact same people, no more no less?

Voter apathy wins votes.. for right or for wrong, unless you have 100% turnout can't make comparisons between any election/referedndum results.

Thunderstruck

I presume you can substantiate these comments and refute polling evidence to the contrary. Nicola is the most popular person in Scotland by a considerable margin. Ruth not quoted. https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/11/01/nicola-sturgeon-scotlands-most-popular-person/ Nicola is also the most popular politician in the U.K. Not bad for somebody who wants to break up the country. Again Ruth not quoted. http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13211668.Poll_shows_Sturgeon_is_now_the_most_popular_politician_across_Britain/

Ruth told us a No vote would prevent us having to the EU as the Tories would not win the election and that there would not be a referendum. Is this what you mean by intellectually agile?

For shrill see Dugdale and as for personable it's a matter of opinion and opinion says Nicola is No1 in Scotland.

Perhaps you should stop the personal attacks in this form and stick to the Wee nippy, Jimmy Krankie insults that we all find so funny.

And he's back. Are you here again attending to your "duty to correct those in the wrong".

You really should step back and listen to yourself - pompous, self-opinionated and immune to reason.

Probably swing the vote back by about 6.

Honestly i burst oot laffin at that

In desperate territory now.

If Scotland had been told two years ago that it was voting yes or no to staying in a UK that was definitely withdrawing from the EU, the result would certainly have been different. Not a shadow of doubt. Why anyone would be in denial about this is a mystery.

Disagree. I recall the pre-Indy debate at the Hydro where she could not deal with Davidson or Galloway and went up an octave before ranting and insulting. There are more recent examples (most FMQs) where questions are unanswered and she resorts to insult, and a raised, shrill voice.

Davidson performed far better than Sturgeon against Leave in the televised debates. If she spent less time peppering sentences with "the Tories" or "the hated Tories", she might get a better hearing from the non-fanatics.

Have to say Davidson was better in her arguing for Remain than Sturgeon.

In saying that, Sturgeon has sounded very prime ministerial the past few days. She's talented, no doubt about that.

Archived