Brussels Airport Explosions

chester copperpot

Jambo-Jimbo

Have you seen their desired caliphate map aye ?

The whole of Northern Africa from the equator upwards. The whole Arab peninsula. Half of the former soviet block (the Baltics), a quarter of Asia's land mass, and Spain (for some reason)

Thousands of people will have to die every year for dozens of years before they get anywhere close to it.

They see Spain as a part of the Islamic World as large parts of it were under Muslim control from the 700's until 1492.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, what you could do is boots on the ground in Syria and Iraq until the territory has been regained.

Then hand said territory back to the respective governments and let them deal with it- as they were successfully doing before.

This would at least cut off funding streams and the command chains.

The "caliphate" even being in existence acts as a spur and an inspiration for these whackos- as Afghanistan did for Al Quaeda.

Cut the head off the snake,

The Eu should demand every member state for, say 10,000 soldiers + munitions and so on to form a joint expeditionary force with commitments from China and Russia and just go in and do it as a liberating force- not an occupying force that we have been before-

Plough in, retake the land, hand it back straight away then leave- with the message this will be repeated should the land be retaken.

not sure if you are being serious here or not but what you are saying we should do is exactly what we did do in Iraq before, and that worked out so well didn't it. The truth is that Iraq was a secular country which we turned into a religious battle ground and breeding ground for islamic terrorists. So why we would want to repeat the cycle I have no idea

Jambof3tornado

I would argue it would be better if our professional soldiers were fighting these baskets than our civilians being immolated on trains.

If having forces in Syria draws our native loonies over there then hurrah!

Syria has been an issue for years and I agree that boots on the ground is the best way to strike at the heart of isis. More movement restrictions on suspects is going to happen too.

Jambof3tornado

not sure if you are being serious here or not but what you are saying we should do is exactly what we did do in Iraq before, and that worked out so well didn't it. The truth is that Iraq was a secular country which we turned into a religious battle ground and breeding ground for islamic terrorists. So why we would want to repeat the cycle I have no idea

So?ry but 'we' did not turn iraq into a breeding ground for islamic terrorists.

michael_bolton

Large parts of Spain used to be Muslim. They see it as the act of reclaiming lost territory where Spain is concerned.

The evidence is still there in how physically similar many Spaniards look to people from the middle east. I currently work with an Iraqi guy who is the double of Pep Guardiola. It's uncanny.

John Findlay

Forget any comparisons with Northern Ireland. These people are far more radical than anyone in Northern Ireland was/is.Tit for tat is exactly what they want as it gives them the propaganda to receipt even more to their cause. We in the West have to completely think outside the box here. Troops on the ground in Syria is definitely not the answer. That will in my opinion just inflame things even more. This has to be done very stealthy. Don't say anything to any media outlet. Absolute nada and that includes after a successful operation. Turn the tables. Make those who are the alleged leaders of IS or whatever tag they are using this week. The ones to be consistently looking over their shoulders. Living their lives in fear. After all they have no intention of wanting to meet their maker. They have their brainwashed thousands for that.

I'm not sure you can blame the religion for the actions of those who do these acts in the name of that religion.

IS kill more Muslims than they do non Muslims, all supposedly in the name of Islam.

Indeed. 

There was a decent article on the BBC recently (rare for them) about the rise of the Salafist movement.

It's quite long but it's a good place to start learning about their ideology.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35695648

The they kill more of their own claim doesn't really address the issue of the larger issues with the religion as (a) they are in predominantly Sunni areas where they need to assert power and control. Obviously the majority of their victims will be Sunni. (B)big percentage of them are Shia who are the 'near enemy' and are deemed heretics (which is convenient under their sectarian power grab-back campaign) when the global insurgency is certainly not a Shia one.

So this regional power and sectarian issue doesn't mitigate the larger point that it is wholly misguided to separate Salafism from the mainstream Sunni world. And this predates and extends beyond Iraq and Syria. It is not simply some fringe phenomenon given life by western foreign policy balls ups that has in the process fuelled a bunch of criminal gangs. Nigeria and Kenya weren't bulldozed by bush and Blair.

The numbers of salafists aren't entirely the point here ( estimates are they roughly account for 15% of Sunni population and is the fastest growing movement within the religion), but more so its political dominance. Underpinning this is the apostasy and blasphemy laws (that are mainstream across the world and we have seen pretty much the west co-opted by) which mean that it is extremely difficult to counter a movement which celebrates the literal example of the founder and his four successors (Salafs mean founders) as a solution to all of the world's ills. Moreover, with its politicisation across the world and the way youth in particular are drawn to its clarity and absolutes, (in a globalised world where identity is increasingly being shorn) you are more likely to see Paris, Jakarta or Cairo continue to look more like Riyadh. For an illustration of this political dominance I would encourage people to look at its various societies in unis across the UK and you will see other religions' ones can sustain much more of a broad church or middle ground for the reasons above.

Lastly, I'd say the left's habit of going oh KSA! we fund them and funded them! it's our fault! as some panacea to it all is rather simplistic as conservative and revivalist movements now go far beyond one country's influence and have almost cross-pollinated (e.g 60-70% of UK places of congregation are Deobandi in origin). In this respect, just like the disastrous invasion of Iraq, the horse has very much bolted. If anyone needs anymore evidence of the fact that we aren't talking outliers here, the various PEW polls from the past ten years paint a more detailed picture of this uncomfortable reality.

willie wallace

I am flying via Brussels next week.Trying not to think about today's shocking events is not going to be easy.

JudyJudyJudy

We can kill as many of them as we like. Foe every one we kill there are ten more to take their place. This is a war/ conflict that no one will win. I repeat only losers and that loss is through the loss of lives. Sadly a lot more still to come.

Yep 

The they kill more of their own claim doesn't really address the issue of the larger issues with the religion as (a) they are in predominantly Sunni areas where they need to assert power and control. Obviously the majority of their victims will be Sunni. (B)big percentage of them are Shia who are the 'near enemy' and are deemed heretics (which is convenient under their sectarian power grab-back campaign) when the global insurgency is certainly not a Shia one.

So this regional power and sectarian issue doesn't mitigate the larger point that it is wholly misguided to separate Salafism from the mainstream Sunni world. And this predates and extends beyond Iraq and Syria. It is not simply some fringe phenomenon given life by western foreign policy balls ups that has in the process fuelled a bunch of criminal gangs. Nigeria and Kenya weren't bulldozed by bush and Blair.

The numbers of salafists aren't entirely the point here ( estimates are they roughly account for 15% of Sunni population and is the fastest growing movement within the religion), but more so its political dominance. Underpinning this is the apostasy and blasphemy laws (that are mainstream across the world and we have seen pretty much the west co-opted by) which mean that it is extremely difficult to counter a movement which celebrates the literal example of the founder and his four successors (Salafs mean founders) as a solution to all of the world's ills. Moreover, with its politicisation across the world and the way youth in particular are drawn to its clarity and absolutes, (in a globalised world where identity is increasingly being shorn) you are more likely to see Paris, Jakarta or Cairo continue to look more like Riyadh. For an illustration of this political dominance I would encourage people to look at its various societies in unis across the UK and you will see other religions' ones can sustain much more of a broad church or middle ground for the reasons above.

Lastly, I'd say the left's habit of going oh KSA! we fund them and funded them! it's our fault! as some panacea to it all is rather simplistic as conservative and revivalist movements now go far beyond one country's influence and have almost cross-pollinated (e.g 60-70% of UK places of congregation are Deobandi in origin). In this respect, just like the disastrous invasion of Iraq, the horse has very much bolted. If anyone needs anymore evidence of the fact that we aren't talking outliers here, the various PEW polls from the past ten years paint a more detailed picture of this uncomfortable reality.

Cheers for that. Sounds like you know quite a bit about the situation.

Interesting development about the airport suicide bombers - CCTV shows that both suspects were apparently wearing a black glove on their left hand which security services say is to hide the trigger for their suicide belts. Quite creepy when you think about it.

Terrible events. Thoughts go to all involved.

As for on here, I think some people have been playing too many games of RISK.

People do realise don't they, that Isis aim is to turn the west against Muslims. So it drives more to their cause and bring about the caliphate they desire.

The Jihadis only need to show videos of the wars in Bosnia and Chechnya and more recently Iraq

to turn vulnerable young men into holy warriors .

I can't think of a way to stop this .

There will be no victory here. Only losers. The loss being the great many lives in the name of whatever. I'm afraid this will never end. Take the troubles of Northern Ireland multiply them a thousand fold and you still don't come close to the hatred and it is hatred that these people espouse.

Indeed. While religion exists, this sort of thing will continue.

It's not in our hands any more what's happening in the middle east.

Sectarianism is out of control.

The divide and rule policy of the USA has backfired.

It is in our control what becomes of this country and we need to be grown up about the future.

I don't want a backward repressive right wing religious politic in this country.

Be in no doubt it's coming.

There's communities in this country that need confronted about their attitudes.

That may spark more atrocities like today but if we don't sort it now we will get right wing politics .

Be that Britain first type or the most likely outcome Islamic lawmakers.

Demographics will see that happen in decades.

Jambo-Jimbo

The Jihadis only need to show videos of the wars in Bosnia and Chechnya and more recently Iraq

to turn vulnerable young men into holy warriors .

I can't think of a way to stop this .

The West came to the aid of the Bosnian Muslims, saved them from total  annihilation extermination from the Serbs.

The West came to the aid of the Bosnian Muslims, saved them from total annihilation extermination from the Serbs.

More to do who was behind the Serbs.

The West came to the aid of the Bosnian Muslims, saved them from total  annihilation extermination from the Serbs.

Not soon enough for Srebrenica .

Ibrahim Tall

The West came to the aid of the Bosnian Muslims, saved them from total annihilation extermination from the Serbs.

We did it too late and did too little for some, in some ways they're correct tbh. There was multiple massacres that could have been prevented and weren't or events that were ignored. Srebrenica is a perfect example.

Jambo-Jimbo

Not soon enough for Srebrenica .

We did it too late and did too little for some, in some ways they're correct tbh. There was multiple massacres that could have been prevented and weren't or events that were ignored. Srebrenica is a perfect example.

Wasn't Srebrenica a UN safe haven, patrolled by Dutch troops who didn't do much to stop the Serbs from rolling into town.

But anyway, we're going off topic here.

Back on topic.

As it would appear that the bombers just walked into the airport and detonated their bombs, does anybody think that our airports will adopt more security, such as screening passengers before they enter the terminal.

I believe this is what happens in most of the Middle-East and in some parts of Africa.

gashauskis9

I'm shocked and stunned that Brussels wasn't already on high alert after they arrested their main suspect a few days ago. For an explosion to go off in a departure lounge (AFTER security) stinks to high heavens of insider involvement.

Sorry if I've stated the obvious. Another waste of innocent life over pure evil.

I'm shocked and stunned that Brussels wasn't already on high alert after they arrested their main suspect a few days ago. For an explosion to go off in a departure lounge (AFTER security) stinks to high heavens of insider involvement.

Sorry if I've stated the obvious. Another waste of innocent life over pure evil.

I was before security wasn't it? I'm sure it was landside. Doesn't make it any less horrific though.

Ibrahim Tall

It wasn't the departure lounge, it was the check in desk pre-security.

How do you stop this? These 3 who it seems are unknown to security services, stroll into a packed airport and cause bloody carnage! I'm suprised it hasn't happened a lot more. Possibly see a lot more attacks like this in future. Worrying times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor FinnBarr

I was before security wasn't it? I'm sure it was landside. Doesn't make it any less horrific though.

Dalaman airport in Turkey has security at the front doors then a second set after you've booked in.

Rudolf's Mate

How do you stop this? These 3 who it seems are unknown to security services, stroll into a packed airport and cause bloody carnage! I'm suprised it hasn't happened a lot more. Possibly see a lot more attacks like this in future. Worrying times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Near impossible I'd say. You can put checks in place but you'd have to imagine that it would end up causing people to queue resulting in more people in one area/easier target. 

Is the UK better equipped within our airports to deal with this? I honestly don't know.

Better call Saul

Near impossible I'd say. You can put checks in place but you'd have to imagine that it would end up causing people to queue resulting in more people in one area/easier target. 

Is the UK better equipped within our airports to deal with this? I honestly don't know.

I worry that their plots could become even more horrific (these attacks were horrific enough of course )  but they could start targeting schools or the likes  

Rudolf's Mate

I worry that their plots could become even more horrific (these attacks were horrific enough of course )  but they could start targeting schools or the likes  

I might be wrong but I think if schools were an option then they'd have done them by now. You just never know though do you. 

AlphonseCapone

Yip, all that will happen. The only other predictable thing it missed out will be the people who line up to fall over themselves to point out they don't do any of this.

Rocco_Jambo

Israeli airports have the best security because they profile passengers and rate them for risk. Hopefully that will start to happen here and elsewhere.

Doubt it though because too many people will be up in arms about it quoting racism.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Much more of this and that infamous suburb in Brussels will get burned to the ground.

It's honestly outrageous if moderate Muslims suffer because of this but quite frankly, they're being hanged by their own.

chester copperpot

Report on fb there about gunfire in an Amsterdam train station.

Hope to god its not true!

Israeli airports have the best security because they profile passengers and rate them for risk. Hopefully that will start to happen here and elsewhere.

Doubt it though because too many people will be up in arms about it quoting racism.

This. It works in Israel because they don't give a **** about offending liberal sensibilities; their main priority is keeping their people safe. So it probably won't happen in Europe.

Awful stuff today. A mate's sister-in-law was in the metro station ten minutes before the bomb.

Dagger Is Back

I worry that their plots could become even more horrific (these attacks were horrific enough of course ) but they could start targeting schools or the likes

I genuinely feel that they will indeed become more horrific and widespread. They'll be aimed increasingly at every day life and soft targets.

Think about Tynecastle on a Saturday. Not saying we'd be a target but how easy would it be for half a dozen suicide nutters?

What about a concert?

Basically anywhere where large groups of people gather. You an tighten airline security, airport security but they'll just move on to other targets that simply can't be protected.

Can you imagine having to go through 'security' to get to a football match or a concert. And I'm not just talking about 'Can I see in your bag in case you've got a wee bottle in there'. I'm talking about airport style security.

It would be bloody carnage. Only a matter of time before they hit a major sports event. I wouldn't be going anywhere near France this June.

I genuinely feel that they will indeed become more horrific and widespread. They'll be aimed increasingly at every day life and soft targets.

Think about Tynecastle on a Saturday. Not saying we'd be a target but how easy would it be for half a dozen suicide nutters?

What about a concert?

Basically anywhere where large groups of people gather. You an tighten airline security, airport security but they'll just move on to other targets that simply can't be protected.

Can you imagine having to go through 'security' to get to a football match or a concert. And I'm not just talking about 'Can I see in your bag in case you've got a wee bottle in there'. I'm talking about airport style security.

It would be bloody carnage. Only a matter of time before they hit a major sports event. I wouldn't be going anywhere near France this June.

they sort of did during the paris attacks at the france germany game

Dagger Is Back

Sort of did you're right of course. Only a matter of time before they're successful IMO.

Sort of did you're right of course. Only a matter of time before they're successful IMO.

sadly i think your right.

Riddley Walker

What about a concert?

Booked to go for 3 days, stopping in Brussels on the way. Wee bit scared to be honest, those fanzones are gonna be prime targets.

jambo-fletch

I really don't see a solution anytime soon to these attacks unfortunately. Whilst securing the borders will certainly prevent any more extremists entering the country, there is still a number of homegrown terrorists who have been radicalised and are willing to cause harm.

chester copperpot

Been discussing this with colleagues today.

Only a matter of time before they hit a big music festival or that.

Dagger Is Back

Booked to go for 3 days, stopping in Brussels on the way. Wee bit scared to be honest, those fanzones are gonna be prime targets.

We all are mate. Bad enough when things are happening thousands of miles away but when it gets closer....

Easy to say of course, but we've all just got to go about our lives as normally as possible.

Forza Cuore

I've tickets for Czech Rep v Turkey in Lens. We'll be there unless the govt tell us not too.

Sure security will be unbelievably strict but we can't let these *******s stop us doing regular things.

SwindonJambo

What about a concert?

Security at concerts is already on the increase, though nowhere near airport levels. I have 2 concerts line up for Europe so far this Summer - Paris at the end of May and Werchter, near Brussels a month later. Oops. I'm expecting tight security. I usually carry a small rucksack, and I was allowed into the Ross County game in November without it even being checked! I always offer it up for checking. My mum, sister and 2 nieces, 3 & 6 were planning to go to Eurodisney in May but I doubt they'll go now.

I reckon they won't have fan parks at the Euros and give everyone plenty of warning that they're not going to happen.

i always said if i was a terrorist i would hit something like the military tattoo.  we were always a bit more relaxed up here given we didn't live with the IRA threats really.  i used to think it would be a softer target, worldwide event, and a military theme so hitting out at all that would send a message.

i hope i'm wrong, but like others have said, i can only see them increasingly hitting softer targets and local haunts like they did in paris.

cowardly scum, but i won't let them win.  i had half plans to go to brussels next month or the month after although we were swithering between paris, brussels and gemrnay.  think after today we will be going to brussels.

this just makes me so frickin angry.  RIP those murdered today

zoltan socrates

Aye lets roll out the Twitter hashtags, that'll show them

Makes you puke and taking to Twitter with this Tom kite is more about an individual's vanity than solidarity with a victim nation

No offence to yourself intended

zoltan socrates

Yip, all that will happen. The only other predictable thing it missed out will be the people who line up to fall over themselves to point out they don't do any of this.

Oops, just done it, poor show Zoltan!

Shanks said no

Security at concerts is already on the increase, though nowhere near airport levels. I have 2 concerts line up for Europe so far this Summer - Paris at the end of May and Werchter, near Brussels a month later. Oops. I'm expecting tight security. I usually carry a small rucksack, and I was allowed into the Ross County game in November without it even being checked! I always offer it up for checking. My mum, sister and 2 nieces, 3 & 6 were planning to go to Eurodisney in May but I doubt they'll go now.

I reckon they won't have fan parks at the Euros and give everyone plenty of warning that they're not going to happen.

England v Russia in Marseille on 11th June is a recipe for disaster

SwindonJambo

England v Russia in Marseille on 11th June is a recipe for disaster

Blimey! If the authorities have any sense or foresight they'll move that game elsewhere. That could be horrendous if it goes ahead there.

luckyBatistuta

Blimey! If the authorities have any sense or foresight they'll move that game elsewhere. That could be horrendous if it goes ahead there.

Kind of agree with you, but where does it end. I think you have to try and carry on as normal, as much as you possibly can.

Archived