Brussels Airport Explosions

chester copperpot

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John Findlay

There will be no victory here. Only losers. The loss being the great many lives in the name of whatever. I'm afraid this will never end. Take the troubles of Northern Ireland multiply them a thousand fold and you still don't come close to the hatred and it is hatred that these people espouse.

Riddley Walker

Reports coming through that nobody died in the Metro. Hopefully the latter report is true.

Reports coming through that nobody died in the Metro. Hopefully the latter report is true.

I really hope this is true. Not only has no-one lost their lives it gives me great pleasure to see these cowards fail.

Riddley Walker

I really hope this is true. Not only has no-one lost their lives it gives me great pleasure to see these cowards fail.

It's a shame that they'll never know their pipe dream of going to Nirvana was one big scam.

Rudolf's Mate

Seeing the size of the area impacted from the picture, you can't help feel the fatalities will increase significantly.

In all for media having access etc but they've shown people being taken away in a bus with blankets round them with tons of media with cameras trying to take pictures. Looked like a few of them were civilians taking them as well!

It's a shame that they'll never know their pipe dream of going to Nirvana was one big scam.

Nirvana is a very different concept to Jannah, least of all the entry requirements (which are a huge part of the problem here).

Wonder what the Daily Star is thinking about having posted this the other day and more or less condeming it.

facebook-britain-first-466728.jpg

Riddley Walker

Doesn't seem to be true unfortunately. Brussels police have said there have been deaths now.

At least 11 died at the Airport and 10 at the Metro.

15 killed in the Metro explosion according to local media. So very sad. Harmless people going about everyday life, on their way to work, off on holiday, innocently killed by inexplicable actions of terrorists.

We have to be hopeful that we can prevent future attacks. Without hope, and the ability to try to live our lives as normally as possible, we have nothing.

Regal Kingston

Very sad for everybody effected by this.

I think we really need to step up the hunt for those responsible.

It may be uncomfortable for some but these attacks cannot go on.

Wonder what the Daily Star is thinking about having posted this the other day and more or less condeming it.

facebook-britain-first-466728.jpg

Seriously? You are using this latest terrorist outrage by a bunch of racists to promote another bunch of racists??? Not the time or place, actually there is never a time or place for britains first. Let's try and keep this thread above the gutter

Riddley Walker

Seriously? You are using this latest terrorist outrage by a bunch of racists to promote another bunch of racists??? Not the time or place, actually there is never a time or place for britains first. Let's try and keep this thread above the gutter

Not much chance of that.

The religion of peace strikes with deadly force yet again.

So Islam carried out the attack?

Did all the Muslims in the world nominate these guys to act on their behalf? Didn't know that.

The Future's Maroon

Up too 26 dead and loads more seriously injured.

The world is going to pot, religion they call it (the terrorists)...pure evil is what I call it.

I'm not sure you can blame the religion for the actions of those who do these acts in the name of that religion.

IS kill more Muslims than they do non Muslims, all supposedly in the name of Islam.

Indeed. 

There was a decent article on the BBC recently (rare for them) about the rise of the Salafist movement.

It's quite long but it's a good place to start learning about their ideology.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35695648

John Findlay

Very sad for everybody effected by this.

I think we really need to step up the hunt for those responsible.

It may be uncomfortable for some but these attacks cannot go on.

We can kill as many of them as we like. Foe every one we kill there are ten more to take their place. This is a war/ conflict that no one will win. I repeat only losers and that loss is through the loss of lives. Sadly a lot more still to come.

Jam Tarts 1874

We can kill as many of them as we like. Foe every one we kill there are ten more to take their place. This is a war/ conflict that no one will win. I repeat only losers and that loss is through the loss of lives. Sadly a lot more still to come.

I remember we all felt that way after years of Republican atrocities.

The situation needs some brave people to work out a framework for dialogue.

Hugh Phamism

I am due to fly into Brussels in less than 2 weeks for a meeting in nearby Leuven. I will cancel if necessary, but don't want to give in to terrorists.

My thoughts are with my Belgian customers today, who will all have been touched by these tragic events. 

I am mindfull that this could happen in any major European city, at any time, and if anything the security procedures will be heightened in the coming days. I will wait and see what happens over the next week or so, and then make a decision on whether to fly or not.

Ibrahim Tall

Not sure the two are comparable to be honest, the IRA etc had a cause, and one that was atleast negotiable.

ISIS are trying to bring about the apocalypse, there isn't a great deal of room for dialogue.

Jambo-Jimbo

I don't think IS want to negotiate, they just want to defeat the forces of Rome and bring about the end of the world.

Jambo-Jimbo

34 dead now, 14 at the airport & 20 at the metro station.

Unexploded bomb belt & Kalashnikov found at the airport, so it's being reported.

We all know who is responsible. Are we going to claim Islam is a race?

More or less what I was going to say.

AlphonseCapone

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5177/no-go-zones-britain

Might be of interest to you. I get a lot of it is a bit subjective, but guess these things are.

Tragic events today and I see events like this continuing and probably growing. I dont know answer and some grown up conversations need to be had, unfortunately most people seem incapable of that.

Cheers. I read it and like you said fairly subjective. It highlights areas, mainly areas within cities where there are more Muslims than whites although these are rare in the grand scheme of the UK and does not equate to no-go zones.

I wonder how many predominantly white schemes would be classed as no-go for the police.

I checked the 2011 census, 87% of the UK are white. It's about 95% in Scotland. I don't doubt many immigrants and Muslims specifically congregate to the same areas but this over-run shite you see on FB is so far off the mark.

Europe must be near breaking point with these attacks though. It won't be long until we see proper retaliation.

michael_bolton

It's terribly sad that people are dead and that many others will be in fear just now, and I hope what I say next doesn't make anyone think I am trivializing that.

However, this is all just getting to a point now where it almost leaves me shrugging. Things have degenerated to such a point that this is going to keep happening and happening and happening. Many sharp minds are working on this - in the western world and the Islamic world - yet there is no sign of anybody making any kind of breakthrough on this.

I live in a Muslim country where we receive pretty regular threat updates at my work from the British High Commission and the American State Department. It's got to the point now where we just ignore them. If we took them all seriously you'd hardly ever do anything. You accept that something bad could happen one day and that there's not much you can do to avoid it short of giving up travelling, giving up eating out, giving up going out for a drink, giving up shopping.

It could happen to any of us any day. Pretty terrible that it happened to these poor people today.

Riddley Walker

Cheers. I read it and like you said fairly subjective. It highlights areas, mainly areas within cities where there are more Muslims than whites although these are rare in the grand scheme of the UK and does not equate to no-go zones.

I wonder how many predominantly white schemes would be classed as no-go for the police.

I checked the 2011 census, 87% of the UK are white. It's about 95% in Scotland. I don't doubt many immigrants and Muslims specifically congregate to the same areas but this over-run shite you see on FB is so far off the mark.

Europe must be near breaking point with these attacks though. It won't be long until we see proper retaliation.

Retaliate where and against who though? The main problem with this is that there's obviously just small scatterings of psychos dotted around the continent. It's un-bombable.

The military project against ISIS in the Middle East may escalate but it seems counter-productive and I haven't heard any evidence it will make any difference. Never mind the humanitarian results and the even-greater amount of refugees an increased military campaign would create. **** knows what's going to happen.

LSD Eindhoven

I am due to fly into Brussels in less than 2 weeks for a meeting in nearby Leuven. I will cancel if necessary, but don't want to give in to terrorists.

My thoughts are with my Belgian customers today, who will all have been touched by these tragic events. 

I am mindfull that this could happen in any major European city, at any time, and if anything the security procedures will be heightened in the coming days. I will wait and see what happens over the next week or so, and then make a decision on whether to fly or not.

I've family in Leuven and when I can't get decent flights to Zaventem, we fly to Charleroi and train to Leuven or bus to Midi. Pain in the hoop and can add a fair bit to your journey timewise but always an option.

It's no longer an issue of "stopping them coming here".

The Paris attackers were here already as home-grown terrorists.

Stopping three or four people intent on violence is almost impossible.

Combating an ideology is difficult, if not impossible. We have seen this first hand in Northern Ireland.

Usually violence is used to drag people to a negotiating table but it's not clear if the current crop of insane nutters would be interested in that at all.

We've tried invading, that didn't work.

We've tried backing popular uprisings and that didn't work either.

We've tried blowing up individual people with drones, and that's not seeming to work.

Feck knows what the solution is. Banning people from entering won't do anything as home growns are already here. Banning an entire religion won't work. Educating the youth of today may prevent radicalisation in the future but that doesn't help the current situation.

doctor jambo

It is unhelpful to put this down to race- Islam is not a race

There is however in Europe a problem with Islam

Not Sikhs, Buddhists, Rastas, Jews and so on and so forth

A section of Islam is causing fear, death and carnage.

To absolve Islam in this is difficult- the Imams need to seriously look at what is going on and THEY need to come up with something as it is also harming THEIR communities - and those of our Sikh friends...

Hutchie Vale boys are flying to Brussels on Friday enroute to Amsterdam. Not the same airport tho.

Rudolf's Mate

It's terribly sad that people are dead and that many others will be in fear just now, and I hope what I say next doesn't make anyone think I am trivializing that.

However, this is all just getting to a point now where it almost leaves me shrugging. Things have degenerated to such a point that this is going to keep happening and happening and happening. Many sharp minds are working on this - in the western world and the Islamic world - yet there is no sign of anybody making any kind of breakthrough on this.

I live in a Muslim country where we receive pretty regular threat updates at my work from the British High Commission and the American State Department. It's got to the point now where we just ignore them. If we took them all seriously you'd hardly ever do anything. You accept that something bad could happen one day and that there's not much you can do to avoid it short of giving up travelling, giving up eating out, giving up going out for a drink, giving up shopping.

It could happen to any of us any day. Pretty terrible that it happened to these poor people today.

I think because of this it's why you're pretty much used to it. Being here, I'm not and I hope I never am. There's a genuine shock and slight fear that it's surely only a matter of time before it's here again. 

michael_bolton

I think because of this it's why you're pretty much used to it. Being here, I'm not and I hope I never am. There's a genuine shock and slight fear that it's surely only a matter of time before it's here again. 

There's no reason for you not to be used to it. There's not much less chance of it happening to you as there is of it happening to me.

I get told about the threats at work (we had one about 18 months ago that was quite specific to us - they put an unarmed guard outside...) but everyone knows the UK is a target too.

alwaysthereinspirit

Not sure the two are comparable to be honest, the IRA etc had a cause, and one that was atleast negotiable.

ISIS are trying to bring about the apocalypse, there isn't a great deal of room for dialogue.

Unfortunately dialogue is not an option.

doctor jambo

It's no longer an issue of "stopping them coming here".

The Paris attackers were here already as home-grown terrorists.

Stopping three or four people intent on violence is almost impossible.

Combating an ideology is difficult, if not impossible. We have seen this first hand in Northern Ireland.

Usually violence is used to drag people to a negotiating table but it's not clear if the current crop of insane nutters would be interested in that at all.

We've tried invading, that didn't work.

We've tried backing popular uprisings and that didn't work either.

We've tried blowing up individual people with drones, and that's not seeming to work.

Feck knows what the solution is. Banning people from entering won't do anything as home growns are already here. Banning an entire religion won't work. Educating the youth of today may prevent radicalisation in the future but that doesn't help the current situation.

Well, what you could do is boots on the ground in Syria and Iraq until the territory has been regained.

Then hand said territory back to the respective governments and let them deal with it- as they were successfully doing before.

This would at least cut off funding streams and the command chains.

The "caliphate" even being in existence acts as a spur and an inspiration for these whackos- as Afghanistan did for Al Quaeda.

Cut the head off the snake,

The Eu should demand every member state for, say 10,000 soldiers + munitions and so on to form a joint expeditionary force with commitments from China and Russia and just go in and do it as a liberating force- not an occupying force that we have been before-

Plough in, retake the land, hand it back straight away then leave- with the message this will be repeated should the land be retaken.

jamboinglasgow

People do realise don't they, that Isis aim is to turn the west against Muslims. So it drives more to their cause and bring about the caliphate they desire.

doctor jambo

People do realise don't they, that Isis aim is to turn the west against Muslims. So it drives more to their cause and bring about the caliphate they desire.

Yes.

Hence why we need to destroy their strongholds now, because the longer it goes on the more likely moderate westerners are to turn into extremists themselves.

There will be a backlash

jamboinglasgow

Yes.

Hence why we need to destroy their strongholds now, because the longer it goes on the more likely moderate westerners are to turn into extremists themselves.

There will be a backlash

Isis would love western troops massing in their iraq and Syria as they will recruit more playing with the image of foreign troops coming to Muslim lands. Your are better dealing with trying to stop the potential isis recruits at home and denying isis their source of fighters.

doctor jambo

Isis would love western troops massing in their iraq and Syria as they will recruit more playing with the image of foreign troops coming to Muslim lands. Your are better dealing with trying to stop the potential isis recruits at home and denying isis their source of fighters.

I would argue it would be better if our professional soldiers were fighting these baskets than our civilians being immolated on trains.

If having forces in Syria draws our native loonies over there then hurrah!

AlphonseCapone

Retaliate where and against who though? The main problem with this is that there's obviously just small scatterings of psychos dotted around the continent. It's un-bombable.

The military project against ISIS in the Middle East may escalate but it seems counter-productive and I haven't heard any evidence it will make any difference. Never mind the humanitarian results and the even-greater amount of refugees an increased military campaign would create. **** knows what's going to happen.

Sorry man, meant more retaliation from ordinary people as opposed to military. I know these increase after incidents already but it's only a matter of time before a more organised retaliation against Muslims in Europe starts.

ISIS have realised and accepted two things.

1. They cant win a straightforward military campaign in any country, be it Syria, Iraq or anywhere else in the region. As soon as one of the super-powers steps in to the military theatre they are beaten. They have lost a lot of territory lately mainly because Russia stepped it up a gear for a few months to keep Assad in the driving seat.

2. They can operate fairly freely in western democracies and carry on a terrorist war of attrition for as long as they have a ready supply of martyrs, weapons, weak targets and the intelligence community and western governments continue to play by democratic laws and rules of engagement.

Something will have to give. Either the Muslim world at large finds the balls to disassociate themselves entirely from whats going on and that is accepted by and visible to the west, isolating the groups as non representative terrorists. And/Or the rule book gets thrown out the window and western intelligence agencies start taking people out before they strap the vest on. I don't think there is much doubt that they know who a lot of these people are but western conservatism is stopping them from acting. You wouldnt get Mossad or The Russians holding back on internal border threats like MI6 apparently have to do.

Have you seen their desired caliphate map aye ?

The whole of Northern Africa from the equator upwards. The whole Arab peninsula. Half of the former soviet block (the Baltics), a quarter of Asia's land mass, and Spain (for some reason)

Thousands of people will have to die every year for dozens of years before they get anywhere close to it.

Riddley Walker

Sorry man, meant more retaliation from ordinary people as opposed to military. I know these increase after incidents already but it's only a matter of time before a more organised retaliation against Muslims in Europe starts.

Ah, right. Makes more sense reading it back.

I agree, sadly. With each one of these attacks you know that the far-right will increase in numbers. Isolated attacks on Muslims will probably become much more frequent.

Edit: By isolated, I meant organised attacks on individuals or communities, not solo attackers.

Have you seen their desired caliphate map aye ?

The whole of Northern Africa from the equator upwards. The whole Arab peninsula. Half of the former soviet block (the Baltics), a quarter of Asia's land mass, and Spain (for some reason)

Thousands of people will have to die every year for dozens of years before they get anywhere close to it.

It's like they have just added Spain for the sake of it :lol:

They'll not be getting their caliphate any time soon. However their goal to change opinion of Muslims is working to some degree. The more of these attacks there are, the more frustrated us westerners get.

Archived