JohnB

5th choice? This can't be right. Our Phoodle hating friends insist that letting him go was a huge, huge mistake and that he's a truly great player.

We didn't let him go so there was no mistake made.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We didn't let him go so there was no mistake made.

According to our Riccarton mole, it wasn't about money with Jason. He refused a new contract because he wanted games and our management team were picking inferior players instead of him...

5th choice? This can't be right. Our Phoodle hating friends insist that letting him go was a huge, huge mistake and that he's a truly great player.

He not 5th choice so don't talk shite. He's out injured. Rangers fans can't wait for him to come back.

Rangers was a daft move. Motherwell, Dundee, ICT type club, play every week, build a career anfmd reputation. Walk before run. But so many kids want the 'big' move too soon.

Really like him as a player and think he still has something to offer but its all a bit Scott Allan close to money where ur mouth is type scenario for the lad. Needs to prove it soon.

I totally agree with you on it being a daft move and the lure of the Glasgow clubs is massive; I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the Would you ever thread though.

So many have sided with do the best for your family ect ect, Jason Holt is an example of this and I think its a toss of the coin decision.

Yes he risks becoming a bit part player but is making money or make little money and become a bit part player which other clubs pay little interest to.

Very tough choices for the youngsters but i would guess 9/10 of them go where the money is and possibly like Allen deal with it later.

It doesnt make them immature the situation just places them in an impossible position.

You never know he may play more than we think. Hate The Rangers but id like to see him do well so hope he gets games. Then a move.

Well, Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on actual positions. But from a midfield point of view they have Barton, Halliday, Kranjcar, Rossiter, Wee Barrie, Forrester and Windass. Probably more but I don't pay that much attention.

Point stands he's got alot to do.

According to our Riccarton mole, it wasn't about money with Jason. He refused a new contract because he wanted games and our management team were picking inferior players instead of him...

He's entitled to that opinion and entitled to chose where he wants to play but that attitude is going to see him with a long list of clubs behind him when he retires from playing.

I always rated him as a player....really liked his style but he needs to find a club and level where he can play every week and fulfill his potential. Its not going to be with Rangers imo.

I totally agree with you on it being a daft move and the lure of the Glasgow clubs is massive; I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the Would you ever thread though.

So many have sided with do the best for your family ect ect, Jason Holt is an example of this and I think its a toss of the coin decision.

Yes he risks becoming a bit part player but is making money or make little money and become a bit part player which other clubs pay little interest to.

Very tough choices for the youngsters but i would guess 9/10 of them go where the money is and possibly like Allen deal with it later.

It doesnt make them immature the situation just places them in an impossible position.

Oh aye. Totally mate. Short career, cld br injured tomorrow and all that too.

I was mates wth Kenny Miller back in the day and he lept at the chance of his Rangers move (helped he was a boyhood hun right enough!).

A huge part of it is belief too. Peope take the shit out of the likes of maybe Ian Murray or now Scott Allan but these guys generally make the move believing they're good enough. They need that belief to be pro sportsmen. In there head iys doubtful they're thinking easy paycheck.

Like others have alluded to, I reckon a lot of Scottish laddies could have been better advised.

As for me, I could never, ever play for The OF. Never. And generally if ur good enough for them there other decent clubs ur good enough for throughout Europe. I've got a wee boy and if he's good when older I wouldn't let him near those evil *******s.

He not 5th choice so don't talk shite. He's out injured. Rangers fans can't wait for him to come back.

He won't get near that Rangers midfield regardless of how fit he is.

Oh aye. Totally mate. Short career, cld br injured tomorrow and all that too.

I was mates wth Kenny Miller back in the day and he lept at the chance of his Rangers move (helped he was a boyhood hun right enough!).

A huge part of it is belief too. Peope take the shit out of the likes of maybe Ian Murray or now Scott Allan but these guys generally make the move believing they're good enough. They need that belief to be pro sportsmen. In there head iys doubtful they're thinking easy paycheck.

Like others have alluded to, I reckon a lot of Scottish laddies could have been better advised.

As for me, I could never, ever play for The OF. Never. And generally if ur good enough for them there other decent clubs ur good enough for throughout Europe. I've got a wee boy and if he's good when older I wouldn't let him near those evil *******s.

Spot on, your preaching to a believer already.

The clubs in Scotland are not doing enough at present to make the kids see there is life out of this small country.

Then the Clubs and players suffer to their short sighteness, its no coincidence that the fall of the national team has been due to the duopoly which is Glasgow Rangers and Celtic for the last 25+ years.

The influx of foriegners would not have had such an affect on our national game if every other club had not jumped on the bandwagon at the time.

I sound a little xenophobic in the last paragraph but we should be learning from other footballing nations not trying to replicate them.

Sorry for changing the threads direction.

Spot on, your preaching to a believer already.

The clubs in Scotland are not doing enough at present to make the kids see there is life out of this small country.

Then the Clubs and players suffer to their short sighteness, its no coincidence that the fall of the national team has been due to the duopoly which is Glasgow Rangers and Celtic for the last 25+ years.

The influx of foriegners would not have had such an affect on our national game if every other club had not jumped on the bandwagon at the time.

I sound a little xenophobic in the last paragraph but we should be learning from other footballing nations not trying to replicate them.

Sorry for changing the threads direction.

Bang on. Its not xenophobic. Using foreign, often cheaper markets to supplement home talent is sensible. Problem is most clubs ignored the home talent bit and youth systems were basically reliant on hope more than method.

The problem players have when the reach the old firm is the believe they've made it. They are paid as if they are the real deal, drive cars like they are the real deal, pull birds like they are the real deal, get treated by the press etc as if they are the real deal.........after a while they just stop even trying to become a better player. What's the point. They all ready have the life style of a "made" footballer. I can't remember the last Scottish player that went from the old firm to a "bigger" club and made an impact. I can't remember the last time the old firm even had a Scottish player in demand from a "big" club. The old firm are a myth. Like the Loch Ness monster, they are only relevant in Scotland. You better believe Celtic where phoning everyone and anyone last night trying to do some business. They had money to spend and every intention of doing so. The only problem is, no one is buying the "old firm" myth anymore. Has beens and down and outs will jump at the chance. Lesser league, chance to win trophies, mega wages and the potential of champs league. Anyone at the top of their game isn't going to come to Celtic or Rangers.

Jason is a good player but with ideas way above his station. Everyone knows his feelings on the players being picked ahead of him at hearts. He was never interested in money. He wanted to be the main man. He was the main man at Rangers last year, he had a very good first half of the season. Like Robbie and Craig said tho, he runs out of steam. The last part of the season he wasn't very good, well not as impactual as the first half. Rangers where always going to bring in "big names" and sadly Jason was always going to fall out of favour. When Rangers finish 4th this season and Warburton is chased out, he will probably feature again. Until then. He will need to keep his head down, get fit and try take his opportunities. The problem is tho, Barton and Nico haven't come to Scotland to sit on the bench.

You say that but Warburton chose to add four central midfielders this close season, and that's ignoring McKay and Halliday.

Two of those were "marquee" signings in Barton and Krancjar too, Holt's got to be concerned at least

The problem players have when the reach the old firm is the believe they've made it. They are paid as if they are the real deal, drive cars like they are the real deal, pull birds like they are the real deal, get treated by the press etc as if they are the real deal.........after a while they just stop even trying to become a better player. What's the point. They all ready have the life style of a "made" footballer. I can't remember the last Scottish player that went from the old firm to a "bigger" club and made an impact. I can't remember the last time the old firm even had a Scottish player in demand from a "big" club. The old firm are a myth. Like the Loch Ness monster, they are only relevant in Scotland. You better believe Celtic where phoning everyone and anyone last night trying to do some business. They had money to spend and every intention of doing so. The only problem is, no one is buying the "old firm" myth anymore. Has beens and down and outs will jump at the chance. Lesser league, chance to win trophies, mega wages and the potential of champs league. Anyone at the top of their game isn't going to come to Celtic or Rangers.

Jason is a good player but with ideas way above his station. Everyone knows his feelings on the players being picked ahead of him at hearts. He was never interested in money. He wanted to be the main man. He was the main man at Rangers last year, he had a very good first half of the season. Like Robbie and Craig said tho, he runs out of steam. The last part of the season he wasn't very good, well not as impactual as the first half. Rangers where always going to bring in "big names" and sadly Jason was always going to fall out of favour. When Rangers finish 4th this season and Warburton is chased out, he will probably feature again. Until then. He will need to keep his head down, get fit and try take his opportunities. The problem is tho, Barton and Nico haven't come to Scotland to sit on the bench.

Just about sums it up. JH was a peripheral player at Hearts, just like David Templeton, capable of sublime moments but not nearly reliable enough for the top division..

Hearts did well by him by not asking for an inflated fee, they knew what they where doing. Most of us can think of apparently gifted players who don't have the pace/physicality/attitude/ to make it at the top level. There's more to being a professional football player than skill.

The disappointing way Bauben, Gomis and Pallardo started last season could have seen Holt establishing himself in our midfield if he'd chosen to stay. The players ahead of him in the Championship were doing a brilliant job - he could have accepted that, worked hard and waited for his chance. He actually got a fair bit of game time that season. I think of Rangers hadn't come in he would have taken that contract we offered him mind you. Can't blame him for taking that chance but he should have known Rangers would bring players in after promotion.

With attacking midfield players bought 5th choice is about right

SandyInRoyalBlue

He's not good at football but he's good at running. We don't have any runners in midfield except him and Windass so in that respect he'll probably be an asset.

He's not good at football but he's good at running. We don't have any runners in midfield except him and Windass so in that respect he'll probably be an asset.

Funny most on here describe him as an exceptional footballer but with no work rate when it comes to getting stuck in and hides too much.

SandyInRoyalBlue

Funny most on here describe him as an exceptional footballer but with no work rate when it comes to getting stuck in and hides too much.

Maybe a difference in styles between us and youse changed his play style a bit? He definitely hides too much, haven't been aware of him since about January. He's good for drawing defenders out of position but on a technical basis he's one of our worst midfielders.

i wish jj was my dad

The disappointing way Bauben, Gomis and Pallardo started last season could have seen Holt establishing himself in our midfield if he'd chosen to stay. The players ahead of him in the Championship were doing a brilliant job - he could have accepted that, worked hard and waited for his chance. He actually got a fair bit of game time that season. I think of Rangers hadn't come in he would have taken that contract we offered him mind you. Can't blame him for taking that chance but he should have known Rangers would bring players in after promotion.

Good post. He may have made a few bob but he hasn't made the right decision IMO

jack D and coke

He won't get near that Rangers midfield regardless of how fit he is.

^^^^This.

When will people get it throught their heads.

Not good enough.

Big Slim Stylee

Pretty solid analysis that, mate.

Archived