The auld farts thread

John Findlay

JudyJudyJudy

I think they measure poverty in that there is not a telly in every bedroom as well as the living room. Kylie and Tyler don't have a play station or mobile phone each at the age of 5. They have no idea what real poverty is nowadays Then again parents back then put the bairns first. I await the backlash

Exactly. In my day late 60s /70s poverty was literally being hungry and  also cold ! 

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam Murray

Everyone in the same room in the winter time (family of 7) huddling round a paraffin fire. As well as the tick at the big shops, a slate was also on the go at the local corner shop when your mum sent you up with a note for the messages. Two older brothers than myself so needless to say, I never, ever got any new clothes and even remember wearing a pair of wellies for about a year, all through the summer too as they were the only footwear I had. There is poverty now, but nowhere near on the scale of back in the 60's and 70's.

Does anybody remember the chicken shop in Clerk St, all they, sold was roast chicken long before the supermarkets cottoned on to the idea of selling hot roast chickens ? I used to enjoy going there fo some food.

Was it not part of the depth store Allan of the bridges? Or maybe J & R Allan?

Dagger Is Back

So many memories from reading this great thread. :

A common theme seems to be that most of us didnt have much money at all , there was debt collectors and we paid most things on HP. Jesus we even had to pay to watch the telly with 50 p pieces and you were ******* if you were watching a programme and it conked out.

I still recall my mum ( it was usually her) telling us to be quiet and not answer the door when the debt men came...( as she couldn't pay it). We had to remain very quiet. WE got HP from Goldbergs , the Provvie ( who didn't) and Stephen and Shields. Its still an upsetting memory for me so many years later however it made me who i am today and I try not to worry about money and or getting into debt ( I try not to). I live well within my means.

I defy todays so called wishy washy liberals to argue that there is still "poverty " in the UK,? Id argue yes there may be poverty of opportunty and educational chances now but not real poverty which many of experienced many years ago. Sorry to be a bit of a downer on such a good thread.

I actually think you're spot on with that last paragraph. I hear a lot about both parents HAVING to work. A lot of the time it's bullshit to relate this to poverty. It's about materialism

Poverty isn't about not having the latest IPhone or where you holiday abroad.

When I was a kid poverty was ice on the inside of the Windows, everyone huddled under blankets to keep warm. It was about Mum or Dad only having half portions so the kids could eat. It was about your folks having two jobs to earn money, not to splash out on luxuries but to buy basics.

JudyJudyJudy

I actually think you're spot on with that last paragraph. I hear a lot about both parents HAVING to work. A lot of the time it's bullshit to relate this to poverty. It's about materialism

Poverty isn't about not having the latest IPhone or where you holiday abroad.

When I was a kid poverty was ice on the inside of the Windows, everyone huddled under blankets to keep warm. It was about Mum or Dad only having half portions so the kids could eat. It was about your folks having two jobs to earn money, not to splash out on luxuries but to buy basics.

Thanks.  I forgot about the ice on the windows !!  Another unhappy memory.

However does anyone else recall having a  coal fire and how great those were?   The heat from them was amazing and it was always so cosy and comforting when the fire was " roaring".  You really cant beat a genuine coal fire. I remember my dad telling me it was my turn to go to the coal bunker and get a shovel of coal to bring in...! I hated the morning after a roaring fire as me or other family members had to " rake" the fire out and then begin the process of starting a new fire...If we had any more coal....lucky white heather anyone lol !! :) 

We had an electric fire. But being all electric, the fire was moved and the coal fire reinstated, during the strikes of the early 70s. Mum cooked on it.

Sugar or broon sauce pieces. You couldn't spread butter in the winter as it ripped the bread to pieces. In the summer it was saft as xxxx. Your mum sewing patches on the knees of your jeans, or darning a hole in a sock.

You try telling that to the youth today...they won't believe ya!

John Findlay

Coal fires. Great when fully lit. Not so great when it was your job as a teenager to clean the grate out in the morning before going to school. Teenager nowadays would be straight onto childline bleating about child cruelty. Along with their social worker, school pastoral carer and whoever else who would agree they were being hard done by. MY ARSE.

Harry Potter

Coal fires. Great when fully lit. Not so great when it was your job as a teenager to clean the grate out in the morning before going to school. Teenager nowadays would be straight onto childline bleating about child cruelty. Along with their social worker, school pastoral carer and whoever else who would agree they were being hard done by. MY ARSE.

Would get my paper round done before going back home to get the fire started, all before school.

Oh man, the ice cream floats were ace. Had to be american cream soda. Loved the way it foamed up before tucking in.

Do folk still ask for a 'Black Man' from the ice cream van!?!

Chocolate wafer nowadays

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Would get my paper round done before going back home to get the fire started, all before school.

I did exactly the same but after school, funnily enough I enjoyed doing it, & the cosy results.

This thread is starting to sound like the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

Neilson's Shank

I remember a mate telling me he worked for Radio Rentals in the late 60s and was sent on xmas eve to recover a telly that had not been paid.He went into the house which was freezing and there were 4 bairns sitting on the setee wrapped up in adults coats. The mother was quite resigned to the telly been taken but the bairns started greeting. He says to the mother, I will be back on Tuesday make sure your not in then either.

Puts modern day "poverty" into perspective

alwaysthereinspirit

Getting a skelp around the ear from you parents closest neighbor (friend) because your own parents weren't aroundat that exact moment to catch you doing wrong.

This thread is starting to sound like the 4 Yorkshiremen sketch from Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

This thread has given me more truly monumental LOL moments than I would ever have thought possible for a miserable sod such as myself !

JudyJudyJudy

I remember a mate telling me he worked for Radio Rentals in the late 60s and was sent on xmas eve to recover a telly that had not been paid.He went into the house which was freezing and there were 4 bairns sitting on the setee wrapped up in adults coats. The mother was quite resigned to the telly been taken but the bairns started greeting. He says to the mother, I will be back on Tuesday make sure your not in then either.

Puts modern day "poverty" into perspective

Sad tale.

JudyJudyJudy

I know its getting like who had the most poverty laden upbringing. But it is does illustrate clearly how things were then and what a contrast now. 

I always like what Barbra Streisand said  when she was asked about her relatively poor childhood.  She said " We weren't "poor " poor , we just didn't have anything ! 

I always like what Barbra Streisand said  when she was asked about her relatively poor childhood.  She said " We weren't "poor " poor , we just didn't have anything ! 

Jeez, another Streisand reference. 

People will talk.

We got our first telly around 1968, I remember going to a school friends at Saughton Mains to see the High Chaperal I think on a Monday night at 8 Pm on BBC2 ? Colour telly, got one in 1974 after my mother saw a world cup game in colour at a friends house I was watching it at and she came to get me for my tea.

Born in 1957 I was the youngest of 4, oldest 12 years older  when I left home in 1979 that's when parents got a phone put in. We weren't poor by any estimation, what my parents had they used  carefully.

My mother never ever worked for money, dad painter and decorator, never did excessive overtime, we never starved or went hungry, freckin' cold at home a lot of times, they cut their cloth to ours and their needs

Chocolate wafer nowadays

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Cannae whack a double nougat(pronounced nugget), with a wee bit of raspberry sauce.

Getting a skelp around the ear from you parents closest neighbor (friend) because your own parents weren't aroundat that exact moment to catch you doing wrong.

A boot up the arse from the neighbours, now you'd get the jail.

JudyJudyJudy

Jeez, another Streisand reference. 

People will talk.

lol and theyd be right...are u stalking me ?

A pal of mine at school came from a big family and he was the youngest, he'd never get any new clothes so he made his own, he would make t-shirts out of pillow cases, cut a hole for the neck and 2 for the arms, they were feckin horrendous mind........ :lol:

John Findlay

We got our first colour telly in 1976. Got it for the Scotland v England game at Hampden. Scotland won 2-1 courtesy of Don Masson and Kenny Dalglish when he put the ball through Ray Clemence's legs at the uncovered end. Football in colour on the telly. It was like being transferred from Kansas to the world of Oz. 40 years ago now. Where has the time gone?

punkrockcroc

My ma's still got her coal fire (she's 74) and keeps telling me "the coal's rubbish, it's no the same". It's great when you go in and it's roarin though. Nobody had anything when I was growing up so what was the point of stealing? Everybody was skint.

3 day week in the 70's remember the power cuts?

Power cuts killed my old mans tropical fish. I think if he'd bumped into a striker he would have killed them with his bare hands.

PsychocAndy

3 day week in the 70's remember the power cuts?

Everybody in the same bed to generate warmth.

Reginald Molehusband, was thinking about him the other day. Out walking the dug and this old bloke took about 5 attempts to reverse in a space in The Grassmarket.

One of the few Public Information Broadcasts that hasn't got the "star" of it in jail at the moment.

My mum and sister going to my Aunty Nelly's and bringing us back chips, only later found it they had been to Antonelli's chippy.

Going bramble picking and finding out that Bramble bush had brambles growing on them and scuddy mags underneath them.

Learning every swear word under the sun, and finding out the multitude of uses for the C word, when  my dad had to look after me, preschool age, as we went round The Royal Musselburgh golf course on his day off.

To sooth a burn, including sunburn, my mum used to rub butter on it and, if there was little or no butter, lard.

Every night getting cod liver oil and malt extract.  I am riddled with Arthritis now, so had to put up with that awful stuff and it didn't work. 

Power cuts killed my old mans tropical fish. I think if he'd bumped into a striker he would have killed them with his bare hands.

We "lived" in one of the upstairs bedrooms as it was the only room in the house that still had a working fireplace.

Every night getting cod liver oil and malt extract.  I am riddled with Arthritis now, so had to put up with that awful stuff and it didn't work. 

I remember getting regular doses of cod liver oil, concentrated orange juice, and malt extract.  It HAD to be in that sequence due to the taste.

The first two were every day, but the malt extract was once a week, usually on a Friday.  I'm talking about during the war.

We were all on a diet that was lacking in vitamins and nutrients, so those supplements were necessary, especially for the prevention of rickets. 

I remember getting regular doses of cod liver oil, concentrated orange juice, and malt extract.  It HAD to be in that sequence due to the taste.

The first two were every day, but the malt extract was once a week, usually on a Friday.  I'm talking about during the war.

We were all on a diet that was lacking in vitamins and nutrients, so those supplements were necessary, especially for the prevention of rickets. 

In the 60s I was give rosehip syrup, which was great and malt extract which I liked a bit.  However, mum came home one day with a malt extract that had cod liver oil in it. I can almost taste it when I think about it.

:boak:

John Findlay

Milk of Magnesium. Was the worst tasting medicine/supplement ever giving to us bairns. Revolting stuff.

highlandjambo3

must have been winter of 75 - 79 (there abouts) in gilmerton sliding down the dip on a large sheet of riggly tin................fighting to get on it.....getting chucked off half way down...............trying to jump on it as it slid past............god knows how we managed to keep all our fingers/hands/feet...........this went on for about 3 days/nights................mental but fun

John Gentleman

In the 60s I was give rosehip syrup, which was great and malt extract which I liked a bit.  However, mum came home one day with a malt extract that had cod liver oil in it. I can almost taste it when I think about it.

:boak:

You can (partially) thank me for that. We used to go rosehip picking every autumn in the early 60s and got 2/6d (a half-crown) a bag. Given we had discovered a rich resource, that was BIG money back then. Much better?and a whole lot easier?than tattie howking which, for a week of back breaking work, yielded a 10/- note.

IIRC, the end product of our rosehip plundering was called 'Delrosa'.

I was a wee laddie in the early 60's and lived close to Easter Road. I can remember going to London Road to watch the tens of thousands of rangers fans streaming along the road in waves on their way back to Meadowbank and their buses after a Hibs game. It was a sight to behold at the time as they probably brought 30000 fans through in those days. A few years later when I was a young teeneger I can remember joining the crowd outside the main stand at Tynecastle after a game chanting 'we want the ref'. We were moved on by the police and marched all the way into Princes Street singing ouir heads off. I can't help wondering what we would have happened if the ref had come out, I would have run away for sure.

I'm sure a teacher of mine used to sign a song "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly" - did anyone else have the privilege?

John Findlay

Burl Ives song? A favourite on Junior choice with the late Ed (Stewpot) Stewart

Saturday mornings on Radio 2.

Think she then swallowed a spider to catch the fly...

A bird, to catch the spider

Burl Ives song? A favourite on Junior choice with the late Ed (Stewpot) Stewart

Saturday mornings on Radio 2.

I'm sure he played Puff the magic dragon all the time.

The Real Maroonblood

Black & Tan, and a Happy Day.

Can't remember when the last time I heard that in a pub.

TyphoonJambo

Boiled milk if you had the squitters, a boiled egg in a cup for something more serious, why did we ever bother with penicillin when we had theses wonder cures.

Also the constant stink at my grannies when she was cooking tripe.

great times the auld days,going to Portobello in the real summer times and having to get plastered in calomine lotion when you came back,looking like a lobster ha ha ,born in st Stephen street in stockbridge having to share the house with 3 different families with one outside lavvy,complete nightmare.my auld man had stables in silvermills lane so was stuck on the back of different size horses for most off my early years.hated falling off the horses at the steep grand picture house end of the lane on they dam cobbles ha ha.old doughty,madame doubtfireasking me and my mates if we fancied making some dough cleaning out her shop,one look and we all knew we were fighting a losing battle.selling rings in aunty doras for the big yins ha ha.good times which would swap for nothing

PsychocAndy

Boiled milk if you had the squitters, a boiled egg in a cup for something more serious, why did we ever bother with penicillin when we had theses wonder cures.

Also the constant stink at my grannies when she was cooking tripe.

I still do the boiled milk for the squits, but now I add coffee and sugar. Works for me.

Kev1998, on 27 Mar 2016 - 1:06 PM, said:

great times the auld days,going to Portobello in the real summer times and having to get plastered in calomine lotion when you came back,looking like a lobster ha ha ,born in st Stephen street in stockbridge having to share the house with 3 different families with one outside lavvy,complete nightmare.my auld man had stables in silvermills lane so was stuck on the back of different size horses for most off my early years.hated falling off the horses at the steep grand picture house end of the lane on they dam cobbles ha ha.old doughty,madame doubtfireasking me and my mates if we fancied making some dough cleaning out her shop,one look and we all knew we were fighting a losing battle.selling rings in aunty doras for the big yins ha ha.good times which would swap for nothing

Selling your ring sounds a bit dodgy, hope you weren't referring to Dora Noyes "establishment" in Danube St?

ha ha aye the very same dora,the older guys in the pub always had various things for selling ,so we got sent round with the wares aka del boy ha ha

J.T.F.Robertson

When I first came here ('71) we'd (my now ex-wife and I) would write to my mum and dad and let them know when to be in the call box across the road as we'd be phoning them at that day/time.

Not the greatest example of "poverty" but we didn't have much, including a phone, obviously.

John Gentleman

Where the **** where they from? Seriously. Who rides a bike from France to sell onions in Edinburgh schemes.

I always wondered about that too. Fortunately, nowadays we have computers and Google to edumacate us...

https://munchies.vice.com/en/articles/these-guys-are-bringing-back-the-onion-selling-french-stereotype

Archived