The auld farts thread

John Findlay

It was worse when they rocked the van. My sister stayed other side of the square on the Medway. Where Tony would park.

could have been me

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard the school got bulldozed,anything there in its place now?primary school gone lots of changes not so many flats

And no I didn't steal any bonfire wood,wasn't brave enough.

I heard the school got bulldozed,anything there in its place now?primary school gone lots of changes not so many flats

And no I didn't steal any bonfire wood,wasn't brave enough.

primary school is gone and so have a lot of flats

• 11 months later...
I P Knightley

And the old horse drawn milk carts - it was still doing the rounds in my area in the 70s. Our old milky, Bill, used to allow us get a hurly round the streets.

My kids think I make this stuff up.

Did Bill's round take in Chesser? If so, I rode that same wagon.

Did Bill's round take in Chesser? If so, I rode that same wagon.

For a second there I thought I'd clicked on the "online dating tread"!

Loving reading through these.  As I was born in 1991, I don't qualify for this yet, but even then the world has moved on considerably since I was wee.

I lived in a small village in the Borders with only around 5 or 6 other kids, but we'd still go out every day after school to play football in the streets, using the wooden bus stop as a goal.  It was one of those wee ones that had 2 door ways and a bit of wall between them, so obviously we'd use them as the goals.  There was a park right next to it for when we had friends or family over for bigger games, but there were hardly any cars in the village so games could go on for ages before finally being interrupted.

There used to be trees all over the place right in the middle of the village on unused land, so building dens and climbing trees were the other past times.  Health and Safety never came into the question, if you didn't get to the top, you were a shitebag and if you got stuck, tough luck!

We'd go down to the river for a wee paddle in the summer, and ride bikes everywhere, but God help you if your Dad found out you'd be down there.  Strictly out of bounds, and you'd get a beating if he found out!

No phones, so you'd have to knock people's door to find out if such and such "was coming out to play".  Back before the streetlights came on, or there'd be hell to pay!

Sadly if anyone has been to Paxton anytime recently, they'll know that it's all houses now.  Nowhere to mess around climbing trees, and too many curtain twitchers to get up to any mischief!

My sister is 11 years younger than me, and when I compare her childhood to mine, I feel like she's missed out considerably.  Spends all day on the laptop, tablet or PlayStation and never goes outside!  Even in the past decade or so, it's all moved on.  You never see kids out in the streets with a ball, or really doing anything.

So did my mother in law, a Francis Dinse, and around the same time as you mention.  My wife told me the same story years ago and I thought it was a hoot.  Who would eat fire damaged chocolate, and now I know :uhoh2:   Would your Mum recognise the name?

Apologies for the late reply. Only just noticed your post.

She doesn't recognise the name but my mum only worked nights. Perhaps your mum-in-law was daytime staff.

She can't remember a fire whilst at Duncans but there was smoke damaged chocolate.

There was also the occasional bomb scare, she says, but that it was probably one of the husbands calling in so the woman could get outside for a ciggie break. :D

Watching Boots and Sadles, Wagon Train, Rawhide, Bonanza, The Virginian, Maverick, Gunsmoke and Laramie, to name a few, and sitting on the back of the couch pretending you were riding a horse.  Falling off, hiding behind it and imaginary shooting at the baddies and the injuns when they came on screen.

Happy days.

I just watched a documentary on Quest channel called "The Cowboy."

They showed scenes from some of these classics.

I would like to add Bronco, Rifleman, Range Rider, The Lone Ranger, Cheyenne and the Cisco Kid.

Do you remember Branded, with Chuck Connors?

luckyBatistuta

Loved watching Champion The Wonder Horse and the High Chapparal. Still find myself all these years later whistling the theme to High Chapparal.

Loved watching Champion The Wonder Horse and the High Chapparal. Still find myself all these years later whistling the theme to High Chapparal.

Awwww, I loved the High Chaparral.

Monkey.

Loved that.  Did they ever get to wherever it was they were going?

Loved that.  Did they ever get to wherever it was they were going?

Feck knows!!! I'm sure the last few episode will be on YouTube though.

Feck knows!!! I'm sure the last few episode will be on YouTube though.

I just checked. The show as canned after 2 series, before they got to India.

I just checked. The show as canned after 2 series, before they got to India.

:sob:

There must have been more the 2 series :shock: there was about 2 or 3 different Sandy and Pigsey!

I have to admit that Tripitaka(?) had me confused!!!

Jamie and the Magic Torch was the dugs baws.

Ivor the Engine.

Rhubarb and Custard.

Jackanory.

Wurzal Gumage.

Unknown user

:sob:

There must have been more the 2 series :shock: there was about 2 or 3 different Sandy and Pigsey!

I have to admit that Tripitaka(?) had me confused!!!

2 series but they were big, it was 40 or 50 episodes. Pigsy did change for season 2 but Sandi was the same I think

I think "Claire" was my first proper TV crush!! She did some topless shots when she was older, turned out she was pretty average!

Unknown user

Jamie and the Magic Torch was the dugs baws.

Ivor the Engine.

Rhubarb and Custard.

Jackanory.

Wurzal Gumage.

The New Shmoo

Don't remember if there was an old one

Rentaghost

Metal Mickey

ALF

The Real Maroonblood

Do you remember Branded, with Chuck Connors?

Yes. I'm sure at the beginning of each episode a Calvary sword gets broken.

Now don't laugh, this might have been a bad trip I had, but, can anyone remember a programme where a auld guy sat next to a Fort thing with wee soldiers in it, not ww2 soldiers but like round head types?

Unknown user

Now don't laugh, this might have been a bad trip I had, but, can anyone remember a programme where a auld guy sat next to a Fort thing with wee soldiers in it, not ww2 soldiers but like round head types?

That rings a bell actually, I think I had a couple of tabs of that in the early 90s

That rings a bell actually, I think I had a couple of tabs of that in the early 90s

It must have been the 70s or early 80s I think, I can see the bloke, fat, grey hair, glasses and a blue/grey jumper or cardie...... I hope this isn't some suppressed memory of a traumatic childhood experience :shockio:

scott herbertson

The George is still there is it not? The bingo hall on bath street.

Think there was another cinema further down bath st. It was a bed shop in the 80s but think it's been demolished now. Just up from the wee row of shops / Flying Dutchman / espy.

Loved growing up in porty in the 80s. Beach, amusements, hammy lodge on a summer's day, the promms.

Oh for a time machine.

In the 60's for me - Porty and the penny falls, bashing it when the minders were looking the other way

As for time machine's we've just released a compilation from my brother's 70's band The Androids (all Porty guys)

androids_gigs-111.jpg

I'm not laughing.

I'm reminiscing.

It must have been the 70s or early 80s I think, I can see the bloke, fat, grey hair, glasses and a blue/grey jumper or cardie...... I hope this isn't some suppressed memory of a traumatic childhood experience :shockio:

My first thought was Michael Bentine's Potty Time, but the description of the guy doesn't fit. It does seem familiar though.

My first thought was Michael Bentine's Potty Time, but the description of the guy doesn't fit. It does seem familiar though.

It's Jonno!!!!

John Findlay

Camberwick Green?

Vaguely recall "Potty Time". Mostly footprints of characters you couldn't see.

Often think the first 5/6 years of life are a bit of an acid trip. Or maybe it was just mine. :D

I Dream Of Jeannie

Jeannie-i-dream-of-jeannie-34402279-351-

"Yes, master?"

homer-drooling-mmm-food-i2.gif

In the days of very puritan ideals, the censors wouldn't allow Barbara Eden's navel to be shown.

The bits that were on display were pretty good though, huh? 

Vaguely recall "Potty Time". Mostly footprints of characters you couldn't see.

Often think the first 5/6 years of life are a bit of an acid trip. Or maybe it was just mine. :D

5 or 6 ?

:lol:

In the days of very puritan ideals, the censors wouldn't allow Barbara Eden's navel to be shown.

The bits that were on display were pretty good though, huh?

There will be no keeping Jonno or Dawn off this picture.

There will be no keeping Jonno or Dawn off this picture.

The thought of a beautiful Barbara Eden being ready to satisfy your every wish was the perfect fantasy for millions of young men in the 1960s.

At least, that's what I've heard .... just in case my wife reads this!

luckyBatistuta

Michael Bentine's Potty Time was my first thought on reading about your bad trip, can't think of anything else.

I also loved watching Big John, Little John

Doctor FinnBarr

MB was my first thought as well, with his wee invisible armies marching through sand and leaving footprints before destroying the enemy with cannons that the invisible blokes fired

luckyBatistuta

Monkey was fun but The Water Margin was the real deal.

Your bang on with that Tazio. The Water Margin, BBC2 9pm was one of my favourite tv shows when I was a kid...Ling Chung was the main man. I bought the DVD boxset of it a wee while back, it's terrible watching it now, but I still love it.

luckyBatistuta

I remember something at school where we would rub our fingers on either side of our chin towards someone and say Cheesy Boakin...can't for the life of me remember wtf it was all about.

Remember catching folk out by telling them that if their hand was bigger than their face, they would die before they were 21. Once they put their hand over their face, you slapped their hand against their face as hard as.

Getting chased off the Parkie for playing football on the bowling green.

Archived