The auld farts thread

John Findlay

The Real Maroonblood

I remember something at school where we would rub our fingers on either side of our chin towards someone and say Cheesy Boakin...can't for the life of me remember wtf it was all about.

Remember catching folk out by telling them that if their hand was bigger than their face, they would die before they were 21. Once they put their hand over their face, you slapped their hand against their face as hard as.

Getting chased off the Parkie for playing football on the bowling green.

Remember that.

Drinking water from the brass mug at the well.

The rowing boats and paddling pool at St Maragrets Loch.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Real Maroonblood

Come in number 10 yer times up......

Yes and there were so many boats.

Any idea when this stopped?

The Children of the Stones, guy from Blake 7 was in it.

I watched that.

Here's the whole thing in a oner, if you've got a spare two and half hours.

Saturday Night - mince pie followed by vanilla slice for tea whilst watching the Monkees.

Playing football up the Blackies (Blackford Hill) - at least 20 a-side.

Being the first people in the street to get a telly.

Listening to Round the Horn on the Radio and wondering what my folks were laughing at.

Playing Kerby for hours and hours

Street subbuteo championships

Penny chews.

Trying to acquire! A copy of Parade from the newsagent.

And many many more!!

Store

The best ball game ever, way better than fitbaw.

Very addictive !! - apart from the odd car spoiling it mid game! You would need to be quick these days in most streets.

luckyBatistuta

I was shit at fitbaw type post :thumbsup:

British bulldogs.

You can't cross the red red river unless you're wearing....

highlandjambo3

Kungfoo...............................snatching the pebble from masters hand, walking over rice paper then, picking up that fekin hot pot with his wrists..........................spent ages in each episode watching him getting pushed about by cowboys but, you just knew the time was coming when whack............. he kicked their arses................. bed time then back again next week, same time

Saturday Night - mince pie followed by vanilla slice for tea whilst watching the Monkees.

Playing football up the Blackies (Blackford Hill) - at least 20 a-side.

Being the first people in the street to get a telly.

Listening to Round the Horn on the Radio and wondering what my folks were laughing at.

Street subbuteo championships

Penny chews.

Trying to acquire! A copy of Parade from the newsagent.

And many many more!!

Store

:yas:

luckyBatistuta

The Adventure Game - what TV was made for

That Vortex...nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The Real Maroonblood

Secret Army TV series first screened 1977.

Will be shown on Saturday from 13:00 hours on Drama tv VM 128.

Do you remember The Flashing Blade??

'You've got to fight for what you want, for all that you believe'

Not sure if mentioned, but does anyone recall the Ancient Monuments series? Short films that used to be shown between children's  programmes ca. 1970s.

The focus was always on a particular Abbey or Castle-often the standing ruins, and the cinematography was, well let's just say it was experimental. There was a narrator who told stories about bloody  battles (cue camera speedily zooming into the castle wall and picture shaking) from history. This 'battle' would all be accompanied by the despairing cries of men in their death throes, before peace was heralded by a piece of medieval music on a fyfe or lute.

Quite bizarre.

Unknown user

Not sure if mentioned, but does anyone recall the Ancient Monuments series? Short films that used to be shown between children's programmes ca. 1970s.

The focus was always on a particular Abbey or Castle-often the standing ruins, and the cinematography was, well let's just say it was experimental. There was a narrator who told stories about bloody battles (cue camera speedily zooming into the castle wall and picture shaking) from history. This 'battle' would all be accompanied by the despairing cries of men in their death throes, before peace was heralded by a piece of medieval music on a fyfe or lute.

Quite bizarre.

I don't, but thanks for reminding me of this fine chap!

426129-weirs-way-1981-09-16-200000.jpg

I don't, but thanks for reminding me of this fine chap!426129-weirs-way-1981-09-16-200000.jpg

Ahhhh, Tom Wier, I loved his programmes, they were repeated on, I think stv or Alba, watched every, magic.

Seymour M Hersh

All our yesterdays on ITV was a weekly documentary programme about WW2. I always remember it being on a Sunday in the late 60's early 70's. Cannot find head nor tail of it now via tinter web. I think it might have been made by Granada but that may be incorrect.

All our yesterdays on ITV was a weekly documentary programme about WW2. I always remember it being on a Sunday in the late 60's early 70's. Cannot find head nor tail of it now via tinter web. I think it might have been made by Granada but that may be incorrect.

From wikipedia.

All Our Yesterdays was a television series, produced by Granada Television, giving an historical account of the 1930s lead-up to the Second World War and to the war itself. It relied on black-and-white film footage, and may be considered a precursor to the later Thames Television World at War production. Whereas the latter is available on DVD, it is not known whether any of "All Our Yesterdays"" survives.

The series ran weekly from 1960 to 1973 and from 1987 to 1989. The format was a studio commentary, supported by newsreel clips that had been shown in cinemas 25 years ago that week. The final series concentrated on 1939. The years to 1964 focused on the build-up to the Second World War, mixed with more lighthearted fare. The series continued mostly with war footage from 1964 to 1970. A measure of comic relief was provided by wartime cartoons, especially by Osbert Lancaster for the Daily Express, with captions read by actors.

The presenters were:

One wartime newsreel which found a new audience was "Hoch der Lambeth Valk". This propaganda film of a Nazi rally, with goose-stepping parades, had been re-edited, reversing some sequences, so the marchers appeared to be dancing "The Lambeth Walk". The effect became a favourite.

The title of this series alludes to Macbeth's soliloquy in Act 5 Scene 5 after Lady Macbeth's death.

Seymour M Hersh

From wikipedia.

Thanks for that. I remember it when Brian Inglis was presenting it. I guess the programme itself was lost by Granada at some point which is a pity as I remember it being good.

Do you remember The Flashing Blade??

I had no idea what was going on but I loved it.

That, Why Don't You and Champion The Wonder Horse are the progs I remember most during the Summer.

Unknown user

Ahhhh, Tom Wier, I loved his programmes, they were repeated on, I think stv or Alba, watched every, magic.

Weirs Way was always a happy surprise when they suddenly had a few minutes to fill, I loved that old dude!

Going up to meadowbank to watch the wrestling

Boxing at the same venue on a Friday night.

Alan Buchanan. Vernon Sollas.

Weirs Way was always a happy surprise when they suddenly had a few minutes to fill, I loved that old dude!

Tom Weir was ace.

Saturday matineee,The Lone Ranger and Tonto,Laurel and Hardy,Tom Mix,Mr Ed,Charlie Chan,and finally Flash Gordon.

6 jam jars gave you 3 pence (around ?200.00 nowadays :) at the local Co-op shop.

Those were the good old days,chimney smoke for miles on end,hot summer,cold winter,1962/63 my baws froze to my hands when I put them in my torn trooser pockets.

Torn at the knees too by playing football every day and night,I kept all those ripped at the knees jeans,I became a millionaire and started a new trend by selling them onto mugs without a brain.:) good old Sid,eh!!!

The Enchanted Castle scared the living bejesuses out of me when I was a kid. The scene where the mannequins/puppets come alive proper made me shat it!

Chocky was weird if I remember right?

Classic look and learn stuff on the big TV rolled into class. Dark Towers! and The Boy From Space.

Summer holidays it was Why Dont You. 

LSD Eindhoven

Anyone remember Chico The Rainmaker?

None of my mates remember it and all think I was tripping when I try to describe it!

Thankfully found the opening credits once Youtube came on the scene

There is one thats bugged me ever since I was a kid because I know I have watched this cartoon but I cant remember what it was called. i also cant find anything on the net mainly because I cant be 100% sure what it was called? Anyway I will try and describe it as best I can and hope it triggers someone to name it. This will be late 70's early 80's.

I thought it was called "Otto". I'm wrong because a search brings up nothing. Anyway. "Otto" was like a little black winged animal. Don't think it was a bird? It definitely flew though. He would "whistle to his friends" and loads of them would appear and fly around together. 

Suggestions?

LSD Eindhoven

There is one thats bugged me ever since I was a kid because I know I have watched this cartoon but I cant remember what it was called. i also cant find anything on the net mainly because I cant be 100% sure what it was called? Anyway I will try and describe it as best I can and hope it triggers someone to name it. This will be late 70's early 80's.

I thought it was called "Otto". I'm wrong because a search brings up nothing. Anyway. "Otto" was like a little black winged animal. Don't think it was a bird? It definitely flew though. He would "whistle to his friends" and loads of them would appear and fly around together. 

Suggestions?

Could be this?

Could be this?

The very one!! Top lad for finding this!!!!

I was close with the name and description. How did you find it?

LSD Eindhoven

The very one!! Top lad for finding this!!!!

I was close with the name and description. How did you find it?

Kind of remember watching this when I was a nipper and had a look on 'Den of Geek' at their 70's and 80's thread to see if it was on there. 

Some weird shit on the telly back then http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/cartoons/35668/celebrating-odd-70s-and-80s-schedule-filling-cartoons 

Anyone remember The Changes? 70s kids series, where something made everyone (bar a few) turn against machines, destroying them?

Not sure if mentioned, but does anyone recall the Ancient Monuments series? Short films that used to be shown between children's  programmes ca. 1970s.

The focus was always on a particular Abbey or Castle-often the standing ruins, and the cinematography was, well let's just say it was experimental. There was a narrator who told stories about bloody  battles (cue camera speedily zooming into the castle wall and picture shaking) from history. This 'battle' would all be accompanied by the despairing cries of men in their death throes, before peace was heralded by a piece of medieval music on a fyfe or lute.

Quite bizarre.

Little five minute fillers inbetween Swap Shop and Grandstand on a Saturday lunchtime?

I hear you.

luckyBatistuta

Used to watch Daktari and Tarzan, the one starring Ron Ely as Tarzan and the wee boy Jai.

John Findlay

I've got all episodes of that on dvd.

My memory is not playing up is it?

It was a foreign production that was heavily dubbed into English?

John Findlay

Used to watch Daktari and Tarzan, the one starring Ron Ely as Tarzan and the wee boy Jai.

My favourite Tarzan as a laddie grown up.

John Findlay

Tom and Jerry cartoons right on after nationwide before Star Trek or the VirginIan came on at 7pm.

luckyBatistuta

My favourite Tarzan as a laddie grown up.

Just found out that wee Jai died in 2008 :sad:

John Findlay

Just found out that wee Jai died in 2008 :sad:

Did he? I didn't know that either. Belated sad news that.

Did he? I didn't know that either. Belated sad news that.

Crushed by an elephant apparently. Very sad.

Archived