United and Jackie McNamara

Craig Gordons Gloves

Complete bullshit. A nicer guy you wouldn't meet. I've been in his company on a few social occasions through mutual friends and he's a gentleman.

Agreed.

And his auld boy is sound as.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 19 league games since the end of the January window his record is W4 D3 L12 F13 A33

Thats a bad run of form whichever way you look at it, even without the cup games. I think we'd call it a rebuilding period, if he ends up staying.

It's a terrible run of form. it's up to him to prove he can turn it around. However there are mitigating circumstances and I think overall he deserves a bit of time to see if the likes of spittal and telfer will come on enough, and the defence gels.

I'm no sure he'll get time right enough but it's amazing how quickly football fans want folk sacked these days.

No you didn't miss it. There isn't one. He undoubtedly has Celtic connections which makes you unsuitable for a job with Hearts in a lot of people's eyes.

Och dinnae effin start that sheeite ffs.

What is it with some folk and wantin to drag the rangers v celtic pish into every single effin thread.

It's a terrible run of form. it's up to him to prove he can turn it around. However there are mitigating circumstances and I think overall he deserves a bit of time to see if the likes of spittal and telfer will come on enough, and the defence gels.

I'm no sure he'll get time right enough but it's amazing how quickly football fans want folk sacked these days.

Whilst I agree with the thought process, the stats Tart put up are fairly damning. If he continues at the rate of one win in five up to Christmas then he'll be out. Loss of key players or not, it the threat of bottom six/play off/relegation looms then Thompson will act.

For what it's worth, I don't see such form continuing, but I do see him leaving soonish due to the rumours coming out of Dundee.

Whilst I agree with the thought process, the stats Tart put up are fairly damning. If he continues at the rate of one win in five up to Christmas then he'll be out. Loss of key players or not, it the threat of bottom six/play off/relegation looms then Thompson will act.

For what it's worth, I don't see such form continuing, but I do see him leaving soonish due to the rumours coming out of Dundee.

I'm hardly advocating him being kept on indefinitely. Their start to the season hasn't been great but then it's not been disastrous bar Saturday. If they are toiling after 15 games then he'll be away I'd think. Sacking him now seems harsh.

I had the misfortune of meeting his father and Ralph Callachan in Bordeaux at the 98 World Cup Finals.  Complete and utter bellends the pair of them.  Drink had been taken though, so will give them the benefit of the doubt.  

jamboinglasgow

Did well spotting spittal, quality young player

Not really. After signing 2 quality Queens Park players the season before. The next talented young Queens Park player plays in the league so naturally he was going to sign a player you can sign for nothing (something Queens Park don't like about United unlike Aberdeen who gave Queens a token amount for Shankland. )

A bad idea to give a manager/coach a share of transfer receipts.

A bad run of results after selling all their best players to a competitor and its little wonder their fans are unimpressed.

The whole situation stinks. What you have here is a manager who is getting commission for selling the clubs best players to his old club.

Can you imagine the seethe amongst the Hearts support if Alex Macdonald had been getting a cut of us transferring Robbo/Gary Mackay/John Colquhoun etc to Rangers back in the eighties.

ToadKiller Dog

Also allegations from Arabs of Darren Jackson using his role to get young players signed up to his sports agency and in so he gets a cut of young players deals and its him and the suspended coach that don't get on .

Rumours and half truths are just as dangerous as the truth .

It seems a right mess there that needs some sort of change or they will drop rapidly to a position that's not fixable for them soon .

chester copperpot

He's on his way out. Mates from Dundee think he's trying to get sacked as he wants the pay off.

Absolute bollocks. He may get sacked but he's not actively trying to get sacked.

And for him boasting about cars and money etc, thats absolutely rubbish too.

Listening to sport sound last night and it would appear that Jackie MacNamara is a bit pish- one fan write in saying that he's only won 4 games in the last 20 and that United have shown no ambition aside from racking up players to sell. Add this to the suspension of the director of youth for supposedly a rift with MacNamara and the united fans aren't happy.

It's interesting as I get the impression that MacNamara is a bit of a media favorite and despite having a shite time is allowed to get away with it due to selling players.

Based on them at the weekend, we should struggle to keep it less than double figures when we play them later this season.

Listened to the podcast today. It was refreshing to hear Jamie Langfield talk quite candidly about McNamara. Slightly off topic but I thought the interview with Langfield was excellent too, he was very honest about the criticism he's had during his career. Seems like a decent guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_razors_edge

My mate up in Dundee who is fairly ITK with all things football related in Dundee tells me it's well known that JM and SC don't get on. SC accused JM of being lazy (main accusation being JM doesn't do a lot of Match prep) and JM accused SC of bullying the youngsters. SC offered his resignation in the summer but instead was offered a new contract (work that one out if you can). It appears things have developed further since then though. Rumour is Neil McCann will be SC's replacement.

We_are_the_Hearts

My mate up in Dundee who is fairly ITK with all things football related in Dundee tells me it's well known that JM and SC don't get on. SC accused JM of being lazy (main accusation being JM doesn't do a lot of Match prep) and JM accused SC of bullying the youngsters. SC offered his resignation in the summer but instead was offered a new contract (work that one out if you can). It appears things have developed further since then though. Rumour is Neil McCann will be SC's replacement.

Who is SC?

Diadora Van Basten

A bad run of results after selling all their best players to a competitor and its little wonder their fans are unimpressed.

The whole situation stinks. What you have here is a manager who is getting commission for selling the clubs best players to his old club.

Can you imagine the seethe amongst the Hearts support if Alex Macdonald had been getting a cut of us transferring Robbo/Gary Mackay/John Colquhoun etc to Rangers back in the eighties.

I don't think it's a bad idea if you are a chairman and want to bring through youth rather than filling your team with players such as Hamill, Barr and Elbows who have no resale value.

Bazzas right boot

Utd have been ripped apart.

I think they are 1 or two results away from going on a run on par with Hamilton's winless streal last season. Fans have lost oall confidence, team is short on quality and generally there seems to be a bad felling about the place.

2/3 signings could change that but at the minute I reckon they are bottom 6 material, wouldn't be suprised to see Celtic take 4/5 off them and really send the fans into meltdown.

4 wins in 20 (is that actually true ?) A good job ? Its a worse record than Gary Locke with far better resources.

If he's there purely to generate income, then yes I suppose he has done pretty well. If he's there to win football matches and he's won 4 out of 20 he has failed , miserably.

According to the Daily Record it's 4 wins in 29 games in all competitions

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/peter-houston-jackie-mcnamara-given-6270095

LungsOfMidlothian

Apparently a massive knob in person. Constantly goes on about money, new cars, big houses etc.

Not the case. Quiet, reserved and a good guy

What should be remembered is that United were at one point owing a large amount of debt.

The sales of players and the agreement they reached with their bankers and other 'rich fans' meant a form of debt forgiveness was forthcoming has saved the day in a financial sense

The sales have brought in far more than was originally anticipated and allowed a quicker repayment of the debt but of course selling is easy, the hardest part is replacing what has left with other players from the youth squad or by purchasing players with the aim of developing them and selling them on. They are at this time suffering from the sales whilst waiting for the next batch to develop into first team players but they do have one or two with promise still at the club.

The manager has the issue with receiving a fee from all sales and the chairman is being seen as looking to move on with interest in an Australian team and taking his eye off events at home. Add the issues with the youth development manager and the poor recent results and the pressure is truly building. Our return to the top flight will not have helped either making it a more difficult task to be successful in the league.

We often ask for patience at a football club and perhaps that is what United fans will need to do but the current issue re the youth team manager needs to be resolved and soon.

It should also be remembered that the debt was largely due to the fact that Levein talked Thompson Snr into bringing in a lot of players some from the English league on high wages. At one point they just about had more strikers than we had midfielders.

This was not Levein's fault but an owner who was desperate for success and he seemed to be happy to sign who his manager wanted. It should not be forgotten that the man had cancer and probably thought I want some success before I go.

His son is being seen as the bad guy selling all their prized assets but then he is really just being a good businessman by using this money to pay off the debts.

I don't know the circumstances relating to the deal that was done with McNamara when he became their boss but I would imagine that Thompson would know that he would not be happy selling his best players so what better way to get him onside than by offering a slice of the transfer fees as a bonus.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with that so long as the next ones on the conveyor belt are just as good and bring in as much as the others. Let's face it most clubs in Scotland are selling clubs it is the only way some can survive with the crowds they get.

Also allegations from Arabs of Darren Jackson using his role to get young players signed up to his sports agency and in so he gets a cut of young players deals and its him and the suspended coach that don't get on .

It seems a right mess there that needs some sort of change or they will drop rapidly to a position that's not fixable for them soon .

He must have learned that one from Alex Ferguson apparently he allegedly used to suggest to young players that they should sign up with his son who was an agent just as the new contracts were about to be discussed.

tartofmidlothian

Can you imagine the seethe amongst the Hearts support if Alex Macdonald had been getting a cut of us transferring Robbo/Gary Mackay/John Colquhoun etc to Rangers back in the eighties.

It might be a good idea from a managerial motivation point of view, but the fans must be seething.

tartofmidlothian

Did Darren Jackson and our DOF not dislike each other very much after the way DJ left us?

Did Darren Jackson and our DOF not dislike each other very much after the way DJ left us?

Darren Jackson got to a point where he was about to play enough games to trigger a clause in his contract that gave him another year(?)

Hearts wanted to renegociate /not honour this but Jackson wouldn't budge. Hearts then wouldn't play him to avoid triggering the clause.

Shame all round but not Jackson's fault. Darren still speaks well of Hearts and his time there and fans reception when he came back with other clubs.

i wish jj was my dad

It should also be remembered that the debt was largely due to the fact that Levein talked Thompson Snr into bringing in a lot of players some from the English league on high wages. At one point they just about had more strikers than we had midfielders.

This was not Levein's fault but an owner who was desperate for success and he seemed to be happy to sign who his manager wanted. It should not be forgotten that the man had cancer and probably thought I want some success before I go.

His son is being seen as the bad guy selling all their prized assets but then he is really just being a good businessman by using this money to pay off the debts.

I don't know the circumstances relating to the deal that was done with McNamara when he became their boss but I would imagine that Thompson would know that he would not be happy selling his best players so what better way to get him onside than by offering a slice of the transfer fees as a bonus.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with that so long as the next ones on the conveyor belt are just as good and bring in as much as the others. Let's face it most clubs in Scotland are selling clubs it is the only way some can survive with the crowds they get.

I thought that the bulk of the debt was wracked up during Ian McCall's time?  They were paying money for guys like McInnes, Stevie Crawford that we couldn't match pre Romanov.  IIRC they offered more for Lee Miller than we could afford.  

Back on topic, I can't see Macnamara surviving much longer.  I've no idea what kind of guy he is but there is something not right about the kind of contract he has.   

Absolute bollocks. He may get sacked but he's not actively trying to get sacked.

And for him boasting about cars and money etc, thats absolutely rubbish too.

Well, Chester, I'm telling you what they say. I'm sure you know better, obviously.

Tell me, how often are you in Dundee?

Listening to sport sound last night and it would appear that Jackie MacNamara is a bit pish- one fan write in saying that he's only won 4 games in the last 20 and that United have shown no ambition aside from racking up players to sell. Add this to the suspension of the director of youth for supposedly a rift with MacNamara and the united fans aren't happy.

It's interesting as I get the impression that MacNamara is a bit of a media favorite and despite having a shite time is allowed to get away with it due to selling players.

Based on them at the weekend, we should struggle to keep it less than double figures when we play them later this season.

Allegedly he received a percentage of the transfer fee for the players who went to celtic. Very wrong if true?????

Paulie Walnut

He's a media darling and gets the same treatment as Stubbs due to his connection with Celtic.

He's on his way out. Mates from Dundee think he's trying to get sacked as he wants the pay off.

Would make sense.  He's sold most of the players that are worth decent fees, so won't be lining his pockets as much from future player sales.

I think he's got another couple of games tops, and if results remain the same he'll get emptied.

Watt-Zeefuik

Not sure why he'd be emptied, he's made more than a season's worth of ticket revenue for the club in transfer fees.  Maybe he'll leave and take the cash-out, but I expect as long as he doesn't get relegated, he just has to build towards another golden sale day and the owners and creditors will be happy.

For the owners, what else matters?

Seymour M Hersh

I think he's got another couple of games tops, and if results remain the same he'll get emptied.

To be replaced by who I wonder? 

To be replaced by who I wonder?

I'd be extremely surprised if Pressley wasn't already up there touting his credentials for the gig.

I'd be extremely surprised if Pressley wasn't already up there touting his credentials for the gig.

I agree with you. I do think they will look to a young coach again. Not a damaged manager like Pressley.

Where is Cathro nowadays?

We_are_the_Hearts

I agree with you. I do think they will look to a young coach again. Not a damaged manager like Pressley.

Newcastle Assistant manager, Utd couldn't afford him

It's make or break time for them to be honest on the managerial front, if they go for Pressley it'd be a return to the era of the likes of Ian McCall, who wasted cash on shite and didn't bring any talent as such through the ranks.

If they go for a younger fresher man for the job, it could be a success, but I think that given ST wants out pronto, I can see it being a stop gap appointment.

Personally I hope they go for Kenny Sheilds or some shite like that, as I'd like them to struggle this season.

It's make or break time for them to be honest on the managerial front, if they go for Pressley it'd be a return to the era of the likes of Ian McCall, who wasted cash on shite and didn't bring any talent as such through the ranks.

If they go for a younger fresher man for the job, it could be a success, but I think that given ST wants out pronto, I can see it being a stop gap appointment.

Personally I hope they go for Kenny Sheilds or some shite like that, as I'd like them to struggle this season.

Massively agree. Especially on the Shiels remark, that'd be awesome. :)

I think the big thing they need is proper guidance from the top. Is Steven going to stay or go? Sort that out then look at a new manager.

Massively agree. Especially on the Shiels remark, that'd be awesome. :)

I think the big thing they need is proper guidance from the top. Is Steven going to stay or go? Sort that out then look at a new manager.

It would be the best if they went for Shiels or Jimmy Calderwood!! :jjyay:

I totally agree on what you said about sorting it out at boardroom level first before they give anyone the gig, but given the way things have been going up there I can see them giving the job to Ray McKinnon or someone like that just to try and steady the ship for a bit.

My Partick Thistle supporting mate can't wait for him to get sacked, called him a dirty Judas, and said he's had it coming a while. I think he's been hanging in there for a while waiting to be sacked, especially after the details of his contract got leaked about the payments for selling players on.

I'm sure CC will disagree, but that's nothing unusual to be honest.

It would be the best if they went for Shiels or Jimmy Calderwood!! :jjyay:

I totally agree on what you said about sorting it out at boardroom level first before they give anyone the gig, but given the way things have been going up there I can see them giving the job to Ray McKinnon or someone like that just to try and steady the ship for a bit.

My Partick Thistle supporting mate can't wait for him to get sacked, called him a dirty Judas, and said he's had it coming a while. I think he's been hanging in there for a while waiting to be sacked, especially after the details of his contract got leaked about the payments for selling players on.

I'm sure CC will disagree, but that's nothing unusual to be honest.

It's a pivotal time for them. I don't think Steven wants to be there, I *think* it's his sister that does (?). They, like a lot of clubs in Scotland, to be fair, could be doing with sorting out upstairs like Hearts. They are quite a well run club and just needs clarified.

I'd love them to struggle, like, but I think they'll sort it out.

The People's Chimp

Thistle fans would be better served agitating for their shan manager to get his jotters tbh. 

Thistle fans would be better served agitating for their shan manager to get his jotters tbh.

I did make that suggestion to him, but "Archie" :cornette: as he insisted in calling him, seems to have some kind of cult hero status with them.

I can only assume it's because he got them up after McNamara & Donnelly bolted for Dundee.

Generic Username

If someone could let me know the correlation between time spent with your children and the validity of an opinion of the goings on at Dundee United that would be super.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

If someone could let me know the correlation between time spent with your children and the validity of an opinion of the goings on at Dundee United that would be super.

I see my wee one every day and I predict United will scrape the top six this season, with someone other than Jackie at the helm. You will need to wait until May before the validity of this post can be ascertained though.

Well, from a sample size of 1, I can state with utmost certainty that if someone sees 2/3 of their children on a daily basis spending variably quality time with them then the validity of their opinion is worth diddly-squat. 

I'd never want to see a Hearts manager on a % of transfer fees. Its counter productive and highly suspicious if you ask me.

I think this came in due to Huston leaving as he could not bring the club on. Every time they sold a player he would not get the cash to improve the club. This needs a manager to constantly pull rabbits out of hats and managers that can do this cost money. So its an interesting option to pay a top manager a normal SPFL wage with an additional bonus linked to players sell on. 

Is McNamara a top manger... I'm not so sure!

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I hope we never even entertain the ridiculous idea of giving a manager or coach a percentage of transfer fees. :unsure::yucky::mellow:

I hope we never even entertain the ridiculous idea of giving a manager or coach a percentage of transfer fees. :unsure::yucky::mellow:

yes

Its also an interesting question why and how this information - a confidential employment contract clause became public

fans group started saying it then McNamara / club confirmed it very quickly

its like someone at United wanted to undermine McNamara / deflect flak from Thompson?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

yes

Its also an interesting question why and how this information - a confidential employment contract clause became public

fans group started saying it then McNamara / club confirmed it very quickly

its like someone at United wanted to undermine McNamara / deflect flak from Thompson?

Yeah, they are absolutely welcome to that shitemare of a mess. I would like to think anyone stupid enough to suggest such a ridiculous idea would get the bum's rush as soon as they brought it up.

Archived