United and Jackie McNamara

Craig Gordons Gloves

United will make the top 6 - just and no more.

They will make the relegation play off spot, but they will survive by beating Hubs in the final.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will make the relegation play off spot, but they will survive by beating Hubs in the final.

That would be amusing, but I don't even think Hibs will make the play off final.

That would be amusing, but I don't even think Hibs will make the play off final.

Agreed, that's where my prediction falls down, but I'd rather they somehow scrape through and fall at the final hurdle.  It's so much funnier to see them build their hopes up only to be dashed at the last moment.

Captain America

I rated him as a player but not been overly impressed with his management skills.

He needs to turn it around fairly quickly as he seems to have lost the support of some of the fans, don't think it is majority yet but will continue to grow if this run continues.

Agreed, that's where my prediction falls down, but I'd rather they somehow scrape through and fall at the final hurdle. It's so much funnier to see them build their hopes up only to be dashed at the last moment.

It would be glorious if they fell at the final hurdle again, but I just can't see them getting that far.

• 4 months later...

another defeat for York City today. 1 win in 10 since Jackie McNamara took over

meantime Mixu now has a worse record in his first games

2 managers getting sacked soon

Wee Jackie will get some token position at Celtic at some point. Deputy chef to the U19 coach or something.

tartofmidlothian

:cornette:

He's at York City? Propping up League Two? Jesus, I didn't know things were that bad for him.

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson has warned of the financial consequences of relegation.

Thompson made it clear his family will not plough more money into the Scottish Premiership club in the long term.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35246285

Thompson believes the roots of the club's present struggle can be traced back to last summer.

"It's very easy in my eyes where it went wrong," he explained.

"It's not to do with the money we spent, it's not to do with player sales. It's about who we replaced them with, it's about our recruitment. Our recruitment last summer was poor at best and that's why we are where we are.

"Our wage costs are the third biggest in the league. We've spent a lot of money over 18 months on transfer fees - ?650,000 - and we are where we are, which is sitting bottom of the league so it probably tells you one thing, that we didn't bring in the right players."

Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson has warned of the financial consequences of relegation.

Thompson made it clear his family will not plough more money into the Scottish Premiership club in the long term.

Thompson believes the roots of the club's present struggle can be traced back to last summer.

"It's not to do with the money we spent, it's not to do with player sales. It's about who we replaced them with, it's about our recruitment. Our recruitment last summer was poor at best and that's why we are where we are.

"Our wage costs are the third biggest in the league. We've spent a lot of money over 18 months on transfer fees - ?650,000 - and we are where we are, which is sitting bottom of the league so it probably tells you one thing, that we didn't bring in the right players."

So presumably this points the finger at Mcnamara, assuming he was in charge of recruitment.  

Well that should help get the best out of the players they signed in the summer. :rofl:

**** all to do with selling all your players quicker than you can adequately replace them, eh Stevo? :facepalm:

It also tells you that you are not very good at appointing decent Managers you never mentioned that in your interview!!!!

So where did all the money go for all the players they sold? Thought they got a lot more than ?650k?

They had a big debt outstanding to Thomson which I believe he recouped. Think that is why he is going public about the Administration thing so the fans realise that the clb could have gone down the tubes and that he is not going to save them the next time.

Son Of Anarchy

They had a big debt outstanding to Thomson which I believe he recouped. Think that is why he is going public about the Administration thing so the fans realise that the clb could have gone down the tubes and that he is not going to save them the next time.

Hadn't realised that, thanks. I honestly thought they were fairly well off, doh!

So where did all the money go for all the players they sold? Thought they got a lot more than ?650k?

?650,000 is what DU have spent on transfers in.

They have received a lot more on transfers out, however a healthy percentage of this income was "paid back" in accordance of the terms of their "debt reduction" arrangement with the Bank.

How many good young footballers are around the catchment aera in Dundee. Crazy to think that flow has been stopped because of our very own craig levein

How many good young footballers are around the catchment aera in Dundee. Crazy to think that flow has been stopped because of our very own craig levein

Levein helped them set up a youth system which allowed them to tap in to talent from much further afield than Tayside, including schools in the Edinburgh and Lothians. Something he is hopefully sorting out at Hearts.

?650,000 is what DU have spent on transfers in.

They have received a lot more on transfers out, however a healthy percentage of this income was "paid back" in accordance of the terms of their "debt reduction" arrangement with the Bank.

Utd should have banked with HBOS, ..............like hibs did.

They forgive debts of up to ?5mill.

Surely they can't have a higher wage bill than us? :lol:

Guys like Gavin Gunning, Guy Demel, Ryan McGowan, Billy McKay to name a few, will all be on decent wages.

Seymour M Hersh

That's money they've spent not accrued.

Surely they can't have a higher wage bill than us? :lol:

Our wage bill is ?3.7m comparible to St Johnstone so its not hard to believe. Next season i would expect to be different.

tartofmidlothian

:rofl:

"The club is in serious trouble if the players don't do something about it. By the way, half of those players are shite."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl:

"The club is in serious trouble if the players don't do something about it. By the way, half of those players are shite."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Exactly. Sounds like he's preparing to get his money back and cut them adrift actually.

CRWJambo1991

The big problem with Steven Thompson is he's seriously deluded about how good the current Dundee United squad actually is.
Before Mixxu was appointed he said the next manager would be managing one of the best british young squads.
Telfer and Spittal aren't bad but lets be honest you wouldn't take many more from it.

They have a few good players that I would expect to do well with better players around them. I kinda hope we plunder some of the better ones.

Their squad on paper is actually relatively strong, maybe it's the shite managers that are the problem, i mind the thread when fat pat was going to them and folk were saying "he will do well" and i said "no he won't" :jjyay:

From their squad i would have Spittal, Billy McKay and maybe Telfer. Not sure what their contracts are but they would enhance our squad. Billy McKay could force his way to our first team.

Not overly surprised, remember it being said they had McNamara on commission or getting a % for player sales. He sells any player worth a few quid, takes his money and leaves. Leaving a squad of unproven, young or players worth nothing. 

you would expect some arses to be kicked for allowing this situation to play out, and at the very least they only have themselves to blame.

From their squad i would have Spittal, Billy McKay and maybe Telfer. Not sure what their contracts are but they would enhance our squad. Billy McKay could force his way to our first team.

McKay isn't their player mind, but I'd have him too. On top of those you've mentioned, I alway quite liked Gunning but his time has probably come tbh. Never seen the laddie Telfer, always quite liked the look of Dow and Fraser.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Kind words from the Chairman about the players that are still there, no wonder they can't be arsed playing.

Kind words from the Chairman about the players that are still there, no wonder they can't be arsed playing.

Exactly. The stubborn old prick just wants to try and absolve himself from any blame from the player sales that have led to their rapid decline. Bit of an ivory tower type I reckon.

Goldstone Wonder

United will make the top 6 - just and no more.

Best of luck with that.

I do wonder how much is from disorganisation and poor decisions by Thompson.

Same as many Man Utd fans blame Woodward before Moyes or Van Gaal.

What is the culture of the club and how much feeds down to the players.

Mixu is slagging his players after every game as well.

Dundee UTD were competing at a level well above that of a team with such small attendances for decades. It's easy to forget how little complacency is needed to see a decline of this nature.

Our wage bill is ?3.7m comparible to St Johnstone so its not hard to believe. Next season i would expect to be different.

Do you know how many players we have in comparison to St Johnstone? Serious question not being smart.

I do wonder how much is from disorganisation and poor decisions by Thompson.

Same as many Man Utd fans blame Woodward before Moyes or Van Gaal.

What is the culture of the club and how much feeds down to the players.

Mixu is slagging his players after every game as well.

I think a lot of the poor decisions were made by Thomson senior in landing them with a large debt and junior is refusing to go down the same route (quite rightly so in my opinion) even if they end up being relegated.

It just shows how important a good manager is to a club and how quickly a bad one can affect a club.

Do you know how many players we have in comparison to St Johnstone? Serious question not being smart.

Checked their website, 21 in 1st Team Squad which is the same as HMFC

Noticed on DUFC website last night that there is an offer "Spend ?50 online or in Club Shop & get 2 free tickies for Killie game". Desperate measures for a team in a desperate place.

Tough times ahead, but is anyone surprised with the Chairman joining in with the Manager in going public about the quality of their players? Similar to a certain Terry Butcher 2 years ago & we are delighted to know the outcome of that particular style of "motivation" :pleased:   

Checked their website, 21 in 1st Team Squad which is the same as HMFC

Noticed on DUFC website last night that there is an offer "Spend ?50 online or in Club Shop & get 2 free tickies for Killie game". Desperate measures for a team in a desperate place.

Tough times ahead, but is anyone surprised with the Chairman joining in with the Manager in going public about the quality of their players? Similar to a certain Terry Butcher 2 years ago & we are delighted to know the outcome of that particular style of "motivation" :pleased:

plus the likes of Maurice Malpass dissing them in the media

I really can't see them staying up, would be a far better exercise to concede that and blood as many youngsters as they possibly can from, now until the end of the season. They may unearth their own Paterson, Walker, King or Nicholson (Or better)

Our wage bill for this season is 4.5 million. Would be surprised if United's is above that.

Just checked and at their last set of financial accounts it was 3.5 million so Thompson is talking rubbish.

Our wage bill for this season is 4.5 million. Would be surprised if United's is above that.

where has that been quoted?

The slides that were posted on the website after the AGM.

ahh ok, laptop broke a while back so been relying on ps4 internet app :facepalm::D

Archived