Levein's Ambition

Daveandal

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Melomaniac1874

i dont think its a coincedence that Craig Levein and the Champions League have the same initials :gfy:

Celtic won the league with 92 points last season, they only failed to win 4 home games and 5 away but perhaps more importantly, they beat Aberdeen 4 times out of 4. The games against Celtic will be really important if we are to challenge. Last season, if Aberdeen had beaten Celtic 3 times, they'd have won the league.

Celtic won the league with 92 points last season, they only failed to win 4 home games and 5 away but perhaps more importantly, they beat Aberdeen 4 times out of 4. The games against Celtic will be really important if we are to challenge. Last season, if Aberdeen had beaten Celtic 3 times, they'd have won the league.

The same sort of logic applies to our league win. We only lost to our main rivals after the league was won.

We didn't play well against hibs all season but we did enough not to lose the 3 that counted. We took care of everyone else in the league and that was enough to see us comfortable winners.

It's a plan Chelsea used to great effect also, they did enough against their rivals and saw a draw as two points dropped by the challengers as they just couldnt match Chelseas consistency v the rest.

To challenge Celtic would mean beating the likes of Aberdeen and utd etc at least 3 times that's a big ask for us next season.

If we finish top 2nd or 3rd this season it's a massive achievement.

CollyWolly

The same sort of logic applies to our league win. We only lost to our main rivals after the league was won.

I think the logic applies right across the board. If you lose more points than you gain against ANY team in this league, you are very likely, statistically speaking, to finish behind them.

If we wanted to win the title we would need to take more points than Celtic when we play them the 4 times, or at the very least not lose ground in those games (share the points)

If we want to finish above Aberdeen, we'll probably have to do the same.

CollyWolly

Aberdeen are nothing special. Don't think we should be fearing them at all

Perfectly valid statement which I agree with. However we don't yet know how good WE are. We might be nothing special either. We just don't know yet.

For anyone other than Celtic to win the league requires at least 3 teams capable of beating Celtic and for one of these teams to be good enough to beat the other two consistently. Can't see it. I'll be happy with top 6 next season TBH.

Adi Dassler

It's 30 years since anyone else won the league. If that doesn't change in the next 3-5 years then you need to ask yourself what the point is.

Celtic and (especially) Rangers are at their weakest for years and if clubs like ours can't capitalise on that now then we never will.

It is possible.

Maroon Sailor

I understand where people are coming from in being happy with a top 6 finish, but if Hearts are top of the league with 6 games to go then I'm not sure that is going to be the case.

30 years on from you know what - it's perfect timing. No point in hanging around for a resurgent Rangers to enter the fray.

i wish jj was my dad

What's the point of turning up if you don't think you can win?  That's precisely what is wrong with Scottish football.

In 97-98 and 05-06 we got right up the noses of the OF, GFA and weegia because we refused to accept that 3rd was the best we were entitled to expect and Doddie's teams had that stamped right through them.  I'd love to see that sort of attitude again. 

Adi Dassler

What's the point of turning up if you don't think you can win?  That's precisely what is wrong with Scottish football.

In 97-98 and 05-06 we got right up the noses of the OF, GFA and weegia because we refused to accept that 3rd was the best we were entitled to expect and Doddie's teams had that stamped right through them.  I'd love to see that sort of attitude again. 

Worth remembering that the last side to regularly win the league, Aberdeen, had no fear of going to Glasgow and beating the Old Firm.

They went through there knowing they could win.

That's also a big factor.

CollyWolly

For anyone other than Celtic to win the league requires at least 3 teams capable of beating Celtic and for one of these teams to be good enough to beat the other two consistently. Can't see it. I'll be happy with top 6 next season TBH.

Not necessarily although it is one possible scenario.

For the most part Scottish football has been a two horse race and the outcome has usually been decided by a combination of who won most points in the OF derbies and who pulled the most games out of the fire when they were drawing or losing late on.

If we were good enough to take 7 or 8 points from Celtic out of the 4 games and consistent enough to win MOST weeks home and away against the other teams, we would be within a fine margin of winning the league, even without a 3rd or 4th team helping us along the way by beating Celtic consistently but not us. It still isn't easy but it is POSSIBLE.

CollyWolly

True to an extent but ultimately we were the architects of our own downfall with poor home results against Aberdeen and Clydebank which would have put the title out of reach before Dens Park. Some outsiders would say we actually bottled it in the run in.

We missed a penalty at Dens earlier in the season. Had we scored it................. We took 7 points out of 8 against Hibs that season. Had Sandy Clark not missed a glaring open goal at ER it would have been 8 out of 8 and............................

That's how fine the margins are when a title race is close. Had all of the above tiny little things and others gone in our favour we'd have pished the league that season

Pans Jambo

Seems obvious to me reading this that Craig Levein's ambition isn't matched by the majority on this thread...which is sad...

CollyWolly

Seems obvious to me reading this that Craig Levein's ambition isn't matched by the majority on this thread...which is sad...

The ambition is matched by just about everyone I'd say. The belief isn't really there though. Understandably because we are currently a good bit off being able to realise the ambition.

JamboHeriot

I think the logic applies right across the board. If you lose more points than you gain against ANY team in this league, you are very likely, statistically speaking, to finish behind them.

If we wanted to win the title we would need to take more points than Celtic when we play them the 4 times, or at the very least not lose ground in those games (share the points)

If we want to finish above Aberdeen, we'll probably have to do the same.

That's extremely difficult to prove statistically. There's a reasonable argument for it in a purely subjective sense - Aberdeen and Celtic last season is a great example.

Remember though that Aberdeen won eight league games in a row without conceding a goal. Make no mistake they will be difficult opponents when we play them, and will likely be the ones standing in the way of a high finish if that's where we are come the end of the season.

Hackney Hearts

Had all of the above tiny little things and others gone in our favour we'd have pished the league that season

That season was full of ironic ifs and buts.....

If we hadn't conceded a last minute equaliser to Celtic in the very first game.

If we hadn't lost 6-2 to St Mirren (!) the following week....  etc etc

CollyWolly

That season was full of ironic ifs and buts.....

If we hadn't conceded a last minute equaliser to Celtic in the very first game.

If we hadn't lost 6-2 to St Mirren (!) the following week....  etc etc

Beaten with 2 minutes to go at Clydebank before the run started. Rangers scoring 4 against Celtic and still didn't win !! The list is heartbreakingly endless.

Fort Vallance

We've just been promoted from the second tier. Technically there are 9 teams better placed than us. Realistically we're higher up the scale than that but expecting to go from there to even second in a few months is a big ask. 3rd or 4th this year is a realistic ambition and if we can do that, aim higher the season after. Just my opinion of course. 

Bazzas right boot

How many ways can one person spell believe wrong :lol:

i belive i can spell believe even more times incorrect in a shorter paragraph. You might not belive that I can, but beleve me I can spell believe incorrectly several ways.

No spell check and I have a condition that makes a baws of my spelling, cheers for pionting it out. Hopefully my piont was made and you understood it.

My spelling hasn't kept me back in life.

Oh and Enjoy the next 6/7 weeks off.

We_are_the_Hearts

Beaten with 2 minutes to go at Clydebank before the run started. Rangers scoring 4 against Celtic and still didn't win !! The list is heartbreakingly endless.

MurderMcleod equalised when Sellick were down to 10 men

Never since 06 have i gone into a season thinking yeah we can win the league - so why would i go into a season where we have just been promoted back into the league think we can win it? We need to see where we are at first.

Never since 06 have i gone into a season thinking yeah we can win the league - so why would i go into a season where we have just been promoted back into the league think we can win it? We need to see where we are at first.

your right i want us to win the league but sadly i dont think we will, i think this season 3rd would be a huge achivement :)

FarmerTweedy

We've just been promoted from the second tier. Technically there are 9 teams better placed than us. Realistically we're higher up the scale than that but expecting to go from there to even second in a few months is a big ask. 3rd or 4th this year is a realistic ambition and if we can do that, aim higher the season after. Just my opinion of course.

How 9 teams?

FarmerTweedy

The thread isn't, or wasn't, about expectations for next season, it was about ambitions for the club.

It's 30 years since anyone else won the league. If that doesn't change in the next 3-5 years then you need to ask yourself what the point is.

Celtic and (especially) Rangers are at their weakest for years and if clubs like ours can't capitalise on that now then we never will.

It is possible.

we capitalised on rangers last season?

CollyWolly

The thread isn't, or wasn't, about expectations for next season, it was about ambitions for the club.

This.

Any manager or DOF or even owner of Hearts thinking anything less than ever winning the league should be shot and never allowed near the club.

I don't go to watch the team I support thinking we'll never win or do anything. Whilst things are tough compared to the uglies resources it's is not impossible and I believe achievable with the correct infrastructure, management and resources in place I believe we have that with CL, RN and AB.

There is no doubt in my mind CL wants to win the league and more importantly believes we can win the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pans Jambo

Any manager or DOF or even owner of Hearts thinking anything less than ever winning the league should be shot and never allowed near the club.

I don't go to watch the team I support thinking we'll never win or do anything. Whilst things are tough compared to the uglies resources it's is not impossible and I believe achievable with the correct infrastructure, management and resources in place I believe we have that with CL, RN and AB.

There is no doubt in my mind CL wants to win the league and more importantly believes we can win the league.

^^^^^This guy gets it (Unfortunately, hes in the minority)^^^^^

In order to win the league you'd need.

To have an outstanding crop of home grown players all reaching a high level at the same time.

A handful of excellent signings all on form.

Luck with injuries.

To win most of your games against non OF teams, but for them to be good enough to take points off Celtic.

A club in a position financially to both resist offers for important players mid season.

To take a minimum 8 points off Celtic.

None of this is impossible. But it's a set of circumstances which will very rarely come together and if it does you need the bottle to see it out.

I would never say never, but we start every season as 50/1 plus for a reason.

Watt-Zeefuik

Levein and Budge clearly have a program for growth, and I don't think "win the league" defines it.  To my eye the goal is clearly for each season to finish a little higher than the last, draw a few more fans than the last, do a bit better in the cups than the last, and so forth.  That won't always happen, but even two steps forward one step back moves you forward.

I don't think Vlad was wrong to see us as a potential third force in Scotland, I just think he tried to do it all in a moonshot and that crashed and burned.  The next step this season is top six and maybe a Euro spot.  If we get that, then the following season the aim should be to do well in Europe.

Europa league group stages are a closer goal than winning the league at this point (it seems distant for us because of our history of running into EPL monsters in the playoff round, but that's just bad luck).  I'd like to see us getting to the group stages every 2-3 years -- that's a few million pounds of extra revenue that helps us continue to build.

All that said, I have a tiny corner of optimism based on the current state of the OF.  Rangers are obviously a non-issue this year and even if they manage promotion this year (likely but no sure thing) we should still be able to finish ahead of them in their first year back. Celtic are getting weaker by the year with the lack of Rangers and with the change from Lennon to Deila.  Say what you want about Lennon but he did an exceptional job of assembling a club of very strong players that worked well together; I think Deila has maybe half of Lennon's savvy in that department, so while Celtic continues to make money by selling off Lennon's team, the quality of the players they are replacing them with strikes me as significantly lower.

I have no hope but daydreams of a league title this season but if everything fell exactly perfectly into place, I could see a tiny sliver of a chance next year.

CollyWolly

I think you mean a few zoomers' assumptions about CL's ambition - unless i have missed his post on this thread.

We've won 4 league championships in 141 years and had many better teams than the current one.

But......whatever makes you all happy......................

You have to have ambitions and dreams and goals in life or you end up just bumping along not really knowing or caring that much about the future.

I want to retire at 60. There is a good chance if I clear off a bit of debt and maybe get one more step up the ladder at work and there are no financial disasters awaiting me that I can manage that. So that's a goal and an ambition. If I can't do 60 I will try to do 61 or 62. It might end up being 65 like everyone else (for now) but the ambition to do it early drives me.

So Hearts. Levein and Neilson and Budge, being driven types, I would imagine, in football terms, have the title at the top of their ambitions. They realise it might never happen because it's hard for us to achieve but they want to give it the best possible shot, and if we they don't do, it certainly won't be because they didn't want to or didn't think they could or didn't try.

Maybe some folk just go through life quite happily with no ambition, no attempt to better themselves and no desire to really drive themselves to be the best they can be. Because it's bloody hard work. None of those types could ever succeed at professional sport.

Levein and Budge clearly have a program for growth, and I don't think "win the league" defines it. To my eye the goal is clearly for each season to finish a little higher than the last, draw a few more fans than the last, do a bit better in the cups than the last, and so forth. That won't always happen, but even two steps forward one step back moves you forward.

I don't think Vlad was wrong to see us as a potential third force in Scotland, I just think he tried to do it all in a moonshot and that crashed and burned. The next step this season is top six and maybe a Euro spot. If we get that, then the following season the aim should be to do well in Europe.

Europa league group stages are a closer goal than winning the league at this point (it seems distant for us because of our history of running into EPL monsters in the playoff round, but that's just bad luck). I'd like to see us getting to the group stages every 2-3 years -- that's a few million pounds of extra revenue that helps us continue to build.

All that said, I have a tiny corner of optimism based on the current state of the OF. Rangers are obviously a non-issue this year and even if they manage promotion this year (likely but no sure thing) we should still be able to finish ahead of them in their first year back. Celtic are getting weaker by the year with the lack of Rangers and with the change from Lennon to Deila. Say what you want about Lennon but he did an exceptional job of assembling a club of very strong players that worked well together; I think Deila has maybe half of Lennon's savvy in that department, so while Celtic continues to make money by selling off Lennon's team, the quality of the players they are replacing them with strikes me as significantly lower.

I have no hope but daydreams of a league title this season but if everything fell exactly perfectly into place, I could see a tiny sliver of a chance next year.

Sorry UA but for all his faults Vlad did not see us as a 3rd force at all. Make no mistake Vlads plan for the famous was n?mero uno!

Watt-Zeefuik

Sorry UA but for all his faults Vlad did not see us as a 3rd force at all. Make no mistake Vlads plan for the famous was n?mero uno!

Fair point. 

....in Europe

Pans Jambo

I think you mean a few zoomers' assumptions about CL's ambition - unless i have missed his post on this thread.

We've won 4 league championships in 141 years and had many better teams than the current one.

But......whatever makes you all happy......................

So?

Hibs havent won the cup for over a century but I bet that wee scummy club have ambition to actually win the thing. Just because we have only won the league 4 times in our history has no bearing on what the future may hold for the clubs fortunes in the premiership.

Thanks for the concern over my happiness.

SectionDJambo

Circumstances could come together to help a team other than Celtic win the league. It is, currently, unlikely that they will, but all the better teams in the League should set out with optimism, and see how things turn out.

From our history, we have messed up on the last day, I think, 3 times. The most recent, in 1985/86, we recovered from an horrendous start, to come within 7 minutes of winning the championship.

Rangers were poor - we beat them 4 out of 5 times. Aberdeen and Dundee United were capable of taking points off both the uglies. The Australia v Scotland World Cup play off, meant that the top sides had a break from picking up points in November 1985, during which time, we reached the top and had the momentum. Still, nobody really, apart from us, thought it was possible for us to go on to win the championship.

Ultimately, we failed, but remember this was only our 3rd season since being promoted, and leaving behind years of being rubbish. Anything is possible, with a lot of luck, good planning, optimism and momentum.

hmfc_liam06

i belive i can spell believe even more times incorrect in a shorter paragraph. You might not belive that I can, but beleve me I can spell believe incorrectly several ways.

No spell check and I have a condition that makes a baws of my spelling, cheers for pionting it out. Hopefully my piont was made and you understood it.

My spelling hasn't kept me back in life.

Oh and Enjoy the next 6/7 weeks off.

Chill grandad.

CollyWolly

Levein and Budge clearly have a program for growth, and I don't think "win the league" defines it. To my eye the goal is clearly for each season to finish a little higher than the last, draw a few more fans than the last, do a bit better in the cups than the last, and so forth. That won't always happen, but even two steps forward one step back moves you forward.

I don't think Vlad was wrong to see us as a potential third force in Scotland, I just think he tried to do it all in a moonshot and that crashed and burned. The next step this season is top six and maybe a Euro spot. If we get that, then the following season the aim should be to do well in Europe.

Europa league group stages are a closer goal than winning the league at this point (it seems distant for us because of our history of running into EPL monsters in the playoff round, but that's just bad luck). I'd like to see us getting to the group stages every 2-3 years -- that's a few million pounds of extra revenue that helps us continue to build.

All that said, I have a tiny corner of optimism based on the current state of the OF. Rangers are obviously a non-issue this year and even if they manage promotion this year (likely but no sure thing) we should still be able to finish ahead of them in their first year back. Celtic are getting weaker by the year with the lack of Rangers and with the change from Lennon to Deila. Say what you want about Lennon but he did an exceptional job of assembling a club of very strong players that worked well together; I think Deila has maybe half of Lennon's savvy in that department, so while Celtic continues to make money by selling off Lennon's team, the quality of the players they are replacing them with strikes me as significantly lower.

The whole point of growing and developing a club to the nth degree is picking up the big prizes at the end of the rainbow. There isn't any point in just making us a well run stable club that wins f-all because who does that remind you of. If we get better and better then ultimately we would win cups and qualify for the EL group stages, and winning the league might follow if the nth degree is achieved.

As for Romanov, he hadn't the first idea about being the third force and that wasnt in his mind when he arrived. First force was on his mind and he thought chucking a few bob at it would be enough. He had no idea of the strength and power he was up against. As soon as he realised it and knew he wouldn't be able to do it cheaply, he really messed our club up.

Delia won't be Celtic's best manager by a long chalk. But combined with the spending power he'll have enough to win the league comfortably for now. However they are standing still at best and most would say they are visibly going backwards. There is still a bit to go before we'd be able to slap them in the face with a gauntlet and really mean it, but it's one of the possible scenarios and it's worth working towards.

For the avoidance of doubt, there is no chance of us winning the title next season. 3-4-5 years of Hearts growth versus another 3-4-5 years of Celtic decline and just maybe we'd be in with a shout.

I'm going into this season with a similar mindset to last season. I'm wondering where our squad is compared to the other sides expected to be in the top 3 or 4, I'm hopeful we can be challenging at the top. Last season, we had a good start and Rangers and Hibs dropped points early on and everything just fell into place after that. Both Aberdeen and Celtic have European games at the start of the season and they have to play each other before we play either of them. September could be a defining month for us, Inverness away, Aberdeen at home and then Celtic away. If we can start with 15+ points from the first 6 games, it gives us a great base to go in to September and try and take as many point off our challengers as possible and then after that, hopefully it will all fall into place.

CollyWolly

I'm going into this season with a similar mindset to last season. I'm wondering where our squad is compared to the other sides expected to be in the top 3 or 4, I'm hopeful we can be challenging at the top. Last season, we had a good start and Rangers and Hibs dropped points early on and everything just fell into place after that. Both Aberdeen and Celtic have European games at the start of the season and they have to play each other before we play either of them. September could be a defining month for us, Inverness away, Aberdeen at home and then Celtic away. If we can start with 15+ points from the first 6 games, it gives us a great base to go in to September and try and take as many point off our challengers as possible and then after that, hopefully it will all fall into place.

We couldn't have asked for a better first six games IMO. After those we will know exactly how good we are, or otherwise of course, and we'll know within 2 places where we are going to finish. 15points + is Europa league material.

Watt-Zeefuik

The whole point of growing and developing a club to the nth degree is picking up the big prizes at the end of the rainbow. There isn't any point in just making us a well run stable club that wins f-all because who does that remind you of. If we get better and better then ultimately we would win cups and qualify for the EL group stages, and winning the league might follow if the nth degree is achieved.

Until we're big enough to be regularly within touching distance of Celtic (and possibly Rangers if they right the ship and bolt back to the top) in April, there's Europa group stages, cup competitions, and home OF wins to be aiming for. Winning those makes it that much more possible for us to compete with the twin cheeks, and makes for lots of good days a Hearts fans to boot.

100% Rudi.  Celtic are no superstars.  We may not be either but the disciple at the club now, the financial stability, the strict training regime, the developments at Riccarton and ambition from the top down all make me more optimistic than I have been in years.

Let's see where we are at the end of September.  If we get off to a good start we we could be in for a great season.

Watt-Zeefuik

100% Rudi.  Celtic are no superstars.  We may not be either but the disciple at the club now, the financial stability, the strict training regime, the developments at Riccarton and ambition from the top down all make me more optimistic than I have been in years.

Let's see where we are at the end of September.  If we get off to a good start we we could be in for a great season.

Levein's doing a great job, but let's not get TOO carried away.

PCA506.jpg

Levein's doing a great job, but let's not get TOO carried away.

PCA506.jpg

That's the very disciple I was talking about.

Discipline is also important.

100% Rudi. Celtic are no superstars. We may not be either but the disciple at the club now, the financial stability, the strict training regime, the developments at Riccarton and ambition from the top down all make me more optimistic than I have been in years.

Let's see where we are at the end of September. If we get off to a good start we we could be in for a great season.

Disciple lol love it. CL could be the messiah if he and Robbie delivered a league title. The God of Gorgie.

TBH I was in no way thinking of league titles next season, certainly would hope for a defo top 6 and possibly Euro qualification above that is extra bonuses. Overall though mid-long term I think those at at the club See a league challenge possible. We are by far the 3rd best supported club and have the potential increase that gap. With the management and business acumen we now have at the club there is no reason why we cannot capitalise on that extra revenue we can bring in and improve massively to the point of challenging.

As you said Celtic are no superstars they are weaker than they have been for a long time Rangers...... We'll need I say more about that rotten shambles of a tribute act.

An increase in the top league to an 18 team league would also benefit the entire Scottish game and more so for those with potential to challenge.

I don't think anyone is going over the top or getting carried away thinking this way. I think it's very short sighted and defeatist to think it can never be done. That's a total Hibs mind set.

Disciple lol love it. CL could be the messiah if he and Robbie delivered a league title. The God of Gorgie.

TBH I was in no way thinking of league titles next season, certainly would hope for a defo top 6 and possibly Euro qualification above that is extra bonuses. Overall though mid-long term I think those at at the club See a league challenge possible. We are by far the 3rd best supported club and have the potential increase that gap. With the management and business acumen we now have at the club there is no reason why we cannot capitalise on that extra revenue we can bring in and improve massively to the point of challenging.

As you said Celtic are no superstars they are weaker than they have been for a long time Rangers...... We'll need I say more about that rotten shambles of a tribute act.

An increase in the top league to an 18 team league would also benefit the entire Scottish game and more so for those with potential to challenge.

I don't think anyone is going over the top or getting carried away thinking this way. I think it's very short sighted and defeatist to think it can never be done. That's a total Hibs mind set.

Amen....

Archived