Levein's Ambition

Daveandal

Oneneilberry

Sorry, don't agree with this. We should be targeting where Celtic are, no less. It may take some time but with careful management and a bit of luck we should be able to challenge them on a regular basis. They are going to struggle to attract the higher standard of players that they used to due to the percieved lack of club competition in the Scottish game.

I don't mean we shouldn't try to win the league ,I just think this is our realistic short term goal

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Levein is getting too much credit at the moment, Neilson is the manager, and i've seen enough of him to suggest he has the personality and ability to challenge Ronnie Deila

Is this the same Neilson who was out thought by Alan Stubbs and Stuart McCall last season..

Regarding challenging Celtic.. Is Scott Brown's weekly salary not almost equal to our entire first 11.. With that gap in wealth it will be next to impossible to achieve. Especially when like others have said Celtic will just look to buy anyone who is doing well for us..

Having said that I would love it if we could finish ahead of them and win the league in the coming years.

ChunkyCharlie

Celtic dropped points last season to those same type teams and still won the league. I just want us to believe it can be done.

Thinking you can't win it prior to game one even being played needs to be eliminated by all other teams/coaches/management.

Celtic do not have a God given right to just assume it's theirs.

Baws! Celtics team is too strong, espicially over the full season. Yes they did drop points however I think they had an 11 game win streak last year? That's the difference. It will be another couple of years until we can compete with them. Celtic know how to win and grind results, goes along way.

2nd would be a magnificent achievement next year. That's if our fans don't get on our backs when are aren't 2-0 against Patrick at home after only 20 mins for example.

upgotheheads

Craig Levein shouldn't be underestimated. He's a driven man in the Jim MacLean mould. I believe he thinks he can win the league, I also think he hates the OF. He's got something to prove and I'm having a bet on us winning the league this season.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I will be surprised if there is a significant number of people "losing their shit" if we are not pumping teams week on week but with the team we have and the opposition we will be up against there is every reason to be excited about the season ahead, it's almost like following hearts brings nothing but misery to some people.

Agree with you here Lewis.

alwaysthereinspirit

Baws! Celtics team is too strong, espicially over the full season. Yes they did drop points however I think they had an 11 game win streak last year? That's the difference. It will be another couple of years until we can compete with them. Celtic know how to win and grind results, goes along way.

2nd would be a magnificent achievement next year. That's if our fans don't get on our backs when are aren't 2-0 against Patrick at home after only 20 mins for example.

Baws to which sentence? I never said we could win it. I just want to believe everyone involved with us thinks they can.

ChunkyCharlie

Baws to which sentence? I never said we could win it. I just want to believe everyone involved with us thinks they can.

To the sentence about how Celtic dropped points to these teams as well and also still won the league. Celtic did drop points however most teams they beat, and beat quite easily.

Obviously it should be our ultimate aim but we also need to be realistic.

Bazzas right boot

I think he beilieves we can challenge for the league and cement ourselves as a top club in Scotland.

Winning it will be difficult, I think he beleives we can consistntly challenge, if you do that you never know.

If Rangers stay down, again, ourselves and Aberdeen must be confident of doing somthing special.

We have the foundations in place to really grow as a company and a club. time will tell.

Neilson is also a positve and forward thinking manager, it is a good balance.

I do beilive Levien has somthing to prove to the SFA, not only with the Scotland debacle but also with Utd and the referee's, and I think he has unfinished business with Hearts, I could see him going all Kevin Keegan if Hearts were in with a shout of winning the league.

He is a determined individual and I think dislikes the OF, somthing like Jim McLean or even Alex Ferguson( mentality wise)at Aberdeen. He knows the OF are at thier weakest in maybe 2 decades. Hearts, if the plan comes together will be at thier strongest in over 10 years.

The set up is corect, the finances are the best in my lifetime, the club will have the highest ave crowds in my lifetime, the playing squad is coming together, on top of that it feels good.

If Levein can get the mentality right, I think this is really important then Robbie and Hearts will have a good future.

Rangers staying down or going pop would greatly aid any league challenge.

The Ambition is simply to take the club as far as he can. A factor will be European qualification. Apart from Celtic and The Rangers other Scottish clubs have often seen playing in Europe as well all most a nuisance. This I believe will change under Levien. It is a stated aim of the club to increasingly attract talented foreign players to the club, bring them on and sell big. The benefits of growing the club this way don?t have to be spelled out. Of course all clubs are trying to do some form of this. Heart USP is we have a full time director of Football working his backside off to this end. So to really move the club up a level to where a challenge on the league is not just a pipe dream we must be in the best shop window possible to sell our potential stars on. Domestic success in any form if it comes will provide some returns but quite simply the group stages of the Europa League or beyond would be a whole new ball game where enormous  returns on investment is possible.  Early days to be thinking that big and of course might never happen, so for now regular European qualification to get the uefa ranking up is a reasonably ambitious target and take it from there.

FarmerTweedy

You are the one that mentioned, Colly.  I thought it highlighted the how difficult the task actually is.

You seen to be getting a wee bit upset at folk having different opinions from you - its just a message board mate.

It highlights how difficult the task was over the last 30 years. It won't necessarily be as difficult a task in years to come, although it will of course be difficult.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

It's more fun chasing rainbows than the doom and gloom of recent years. Sign of recent times being far more optimistic and positive. Long may it continue. And, I've ?50 on us to win the league...it's good to dream  :sunny: 

As much as I'd love to think we can win the league, I can't see it. Celtic will always have just enough because they'll always have that wee bit more financial clout to call upon.

I think a resurgent Hearts will, unfortunately, benefit Celtic. Aberdeen and Hearts should be the best of the rest in the long term and Celtic will benefit from our fight for second.

Apart from Celtic and The Rangers other Scottish clubs have often seen playing in Europe as well all most a nuisance. 

Not sure about that one.

williamgerrard

Lets not kid ourselves on after us romping the championship i dont know about anyone else but ive got a burning ambition  i want the spl title and i can see it happen within 5 years providing  we keep the same level of season ticket holders,making tynie a place to be feared again and the core of our team are hearts fans  ie the likes of walker n etc

You don't play Celtic every week. Getting it right against the rest will give us a platform.

Hearts history suggests they can at a minimum challenge. It gives the positive people that follow and work for Hearts the background to chew on and build from.

Getting it out our heads we can't compete is key. Being singled minded in our own approach, a belief we can regularly defeat the rest of the Spl is first base.

Too many people have been diluted by what's happened in the last couple of years. This isn't 1983 where we finally stayed up after the yo yo years. It wasn't long ago Hearts undoubted place as strongest league team outside the OF in the last 25 or so years ended.

The base has been built very strongly and quickly in the last season. We have the right, driven people at the club bringing back the staple standards at Hearts and we go from there again.

Hearts fans feeling they have to slap down over zealous Hearts fans in case they become disappointed.

Self importance is oozing out of this thread, how dare folk be full of optimism going into a new season.

I really think we'll win the Treble next season go onto win the Champions League the following season and dominate European football for the next decade

This.

I wonder if the fans of newly promoted teams in Spain/England and other leagues think they are gonna win the bigger league. Some genuinely deluded Hearts fans like, I'd say more than any other set of supporters. Its a nice thought though, the 2006 team came the closest i think i'll ever see.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

This.

I wonder if the fans of newly promoted teams in Spain/England and other leagues think they are gonna win the bigger league. Some genuinely deluded Hearts fans like, I'd say more than any other set of supporters. Its a nice thought though, the 2006 team came the closest i think i'll ever see.

Too young to remember 86 and 98? Both were closer.

Correct mate,what has changed most of all is the players the Old Firm are able to attract,make no mistake Gazza and Laudrup were

World class players,Celtic are now signing guys from Dundee Utd,Hibs and unproven foreign stars, (similar to us but with a heftier price tag),if we can build a team over a few seasons then i camt see why we cannot challenge for silverware,we now have the foundations

and the framework in place,now its just about adding the right quality at the right time.

Quite a few years ago, Levein was playing for a football club that had barely staved off extinction and had just been promoted from Scotland's 2nd tier with an inexperienced manager. In a couple of seasons, he was an integral part of a team that was 90 minutes away from the title.

Imagine the scenes if he finally completes the job as our D.O.F.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Quite a few years ago, Levein was playing for a football club that had barely staved off extinction and had just been promoted from Scotland's 2nd tier with an inexperienced manager. In a couple of seasons, he was an integral part of a team that was 90 minutes away from the title.

Imagine the scenes if he finally completes the job as our D.O.F.

He had only just retired with injury when we nearly did it again with JJ at the helm.

:pleasing:

williamgerrard

imagine the newspaper headlines  magical heart of midlothian  halt celtics charge for 10 in a row by winning the spl title

Was only 9 when we won the cup in '98 so cant really remember anything else about that season, just crying with my uncle when we won the cup.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Was only 9 when we won the cup in '98 so cant really remember anything else about that season, just crying with my uncle when we won the cup.

There's a great wee video review of it on another thread man, give it a watch. It was some season, we just kept hanging in there, right up until the end. It reminded me it was possible.

The Old Tolbooth

I still maintain we chucked the towel in far too early in 1998, the uglies dropped quite a few points in their last few games and we concentrated on the cup final instead. 

Unknown user

Posters losing their shit is completely harmless. Having high or low expectations is harmless. Discussing anything on a forum, apart from how to join ISIS or make a bomb, is harmless. The whole board is harmless. As far as I am aware it hasn't caused any harm in its entire existence. If folk want to blow gas about us winning the title in 3 years, that's harmless. If folk think we'll get relegated in the next 3 years that's also harmless.

Yep, this

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I still maintain we chucked the towel in far too early in 1998, the uglies dropped quite a few points in their last few games and we concentrated on the cup final instead.

Yeah, probably right enough. I was eighteen/nineteen and it just felt like it was possible again, it was such a marathon and we came so close. Winning the Cup and coming so close in the league felt like it was just a small step to go one further. The next season was devastating. One thing about Levein though, he may not have won the Cup or came close to the league, but he made us consistent, European results and back to back third places.

Bazzas right boot

Athletico proved it is possible.

AZ / Twente proved that it is possible.

FC Nordjealand ( Danish, spelling) proved it is possible.

Boavista proved it is possible

Valengara ( Norway) proved it is possible

Jesus, we proved it last year, about 1/2rd of the budget v Rangers

It just isn't possible it happens and will happen again in League football.

The biggest barrier in Scotland is the mentality.

We go into the season as winners, can we keep that mentality?

The Ambition is simply to take the club as far as he can. A factor will be European qualification. Apart from Celtic and The Rangers other Scottish clubs have often seen playing in Europe as well all most a nuisance. This I believe will change under Levien. It is a stated aim of the club to increasingly attract talented foreign players to the club, bring them on and sell big. The benefits of growing the club this way don?t have to be spelled out. Of course all clubs are trying to do some form of this. Heart USP is we have a full time director of Football working his backside off to this end. So to really move the club up a level to where a challenge on the league is not just a pipe dream we must be in the best shop window possible to sell our potential stars on. Domestic success in any form if it comes will provide some returns but quite simply the group stages of the Europa League or beyond would be a whole new ball game where enormous  returns on investment is possible.  Early days to be thinking that big and of course might never happen, so for now regular European qualification to get the uefa ranking up is a reasonably ambitious target and take it from there.

Well thought out.

I'm sure the group stages are not beyond our ambition.  I would certainly think Top 6 is well below CL's target, even for next season.  If our top players can avoid lengthy injury and suspension breaks, I think 2nd or 3rd is very rrealistic and a nice shiny Cup would be the icing on the cake of a highly successful season.

I think if people pay attention they'll notice most Hearts fans are saying it could become a possibility in years to come to win the title, not so much next season which even myself as an eternal optimist would admit is a very long shot!

Normally the opening seasons of rebuilding are about ironing out the kinks in the team, seeing who's cutting it and who's not and hopefully constructing a challenging team eventually.

But football is funny as we know. It's in black and white in Hearts history from what we've achieved.

It took JJ 2 seasons to tweak away then his third was a damn good side. In 06, albeit with financial doping ;), we had a challenging and cup winning team in an instant.

When a bit under the influence of drink I have a mate who will always say he believes we'll see Hearts win the big one in our lifetime. We're 41 and 40, there's time yet! :)

dunciboyjambo

A convincing win on Day 1 of the season and lets get behind this league winning juggernaut... We will all be behind from before kick off but I mean lets really start believing, a lot of celtics success is down to money and that's not arguable, but a lot of their wins when the team is toiling is the fans belief they will score... Positivity breeds success... Say it enough and we believe it, believe it enough and it will happen!!!!

Let's do this jambos, CL, RN and AB are building a club and team that are capable, with the fans belief, anything can happen....

Why settle for third or second and accept that's our fate, it's 11v11 at the end of the day!

Athletico proved it is possible.

AZ / Twente proved that it is possible.

FC Nordjealand ( Danish, spelling) proved it is possible.

Boavista proved it is possible

Valengara ( Norway) proved it is possible

Jesus, we proved it last year, about 1/2rd of the budget v Rangers

It just isn't possible it happens and will happen again in League football.

The biggest barrier in Scotland is the mentality.

We go into the season as winners, can we keep that mentality?

I agree.  No one here, apart from tongue firmly in cheek, thinks Hearts will win the league next season but I believe Craig Levein believes it is possible at some point. 

The Netherlands is a prime example.  For decades 3 teams dominated that league.  Suddenly in the last 10 years we have seen that change.  It can happen..... doesn't mean it will but it can!

Bazzas right boot

I agree.  No one here, apart from tongue firmly in cheek, thinks Hearts will win the league next season but I believe Craig Levein believes it is possible at some point. 

The Netherlands is a prime example.  For decades 3 teams dominated that league.  Suddenly in the last 10 years we have seen that change.  It can happen..... doesn't mean it will but it can!

I don't think we will even be close next season  ( in terms of league winners), Aberdeen are the most likely, however in the near future who knows?

It does happen, if it is going to happen, this would be the time as Celtic are at their weakest in 20 years and Rangers aren't in the division.

SectionDJambo

If there is a long term ambition to win the league, there would be nothing wrong or crazy about that. However, recent history shows how extremely difficult this would be.

For me, the biggest problem is sustaining progression, in the event of a good League campaign, or a cup win along the way. In 1998/99, we lost our best players and the momentum just vanished, leaving us to be ordinary again. 2006/07 and 2012/13, were ruined by other actions.

We have to hope that Ann Budge, Craig Levein and Robbie Nielson can build on any success gained along the way.

And hope for a very lucky season, for the ultimate prize.

scots civil war

A convincing win on Day 1 of the season

should be a marvellous occasion ,cant feckin wait

months time

dunciboyjambo

Will never win the league because of sfa don't get decisions remember 2006 Celtic at tynie

We said that last season with rangers, let's put this shiz to bed.. If we keep winning games like we did last season there is nothing they can do.

airthjambo

I don't think anyone is getting too carried away. No one wants the club to spend millions on players to achieve 3rd but also bankrupt the club and no one wants to see us build a white elephant. However I believe that Levein believes that within our current structure a league winning season is possible at some point. I also believe at some point we have to expand the stadium to allow the club to grow. But it all has to be within our means.

There is nothing wrong with having ambition and wanting to do better.

airthjambo

I don't think anyone is getting too carried away. No one wants the club to spend millions on players to achieve 3rd but also bankrupt the club and no one wants to see us build a white elephant. However I believe that Levein believes that within our current structure a league winning season is possible at some point. I also believe at some point we have to expand the stadium to allow the club to grow. But it all has to be within our means.

There is nothing wrong with having ambition and wanting to do better.

Exactly

FarmerTweedy

I will be surprised if there is a significant number of people "losing their shit" if we are not pumping teams week on week but with the team we have and the opposition we will be up against there is every reason to be excited about the season ahead, it's almost like following hearts brings nothing but misery to some people.

The thing some people seem to be struggling with is that this thread isn't about expectations or ambitions for next season, it's about long term ambitions for the club.

Of course, it's virtually inconceivable that we could put up anything even resembling a title challenge in the coming season, but in the longer term, the club should be aiming to be at the very least consistently in the top 3. Actually winning the title will always be extremely difficult, but we weren't that far off it in 98, and I'd suggest that celtic are likely to be less strong in the years to come than they were then, while I believe we can be as strong again, and maybe stronger, than we were back then, so while I've no illusions that we'll be winning titles regularly in the future, I really don't believe that it's impossible for us to ever do it, and neither should those running the club.

FarmerTweedy

I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting we could compete with them next season!

Maroon Sailor

I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting we could compete with them next season!

No time like the present to put in a title charge. Best get it in next season while the going is good.

jamboinglasgow

Craig Levein's role as DoF was two fold, the main task was rebuilding the football side of club, making it strong and sustainable while putting together an academy system that brings the best possible young players into the first team so they can do well at Hearts and then get sold on (where the next batch will come in and do the same.) The second task is to do the best with the first team it can with the budget and aims the club has in place.

So I am certain that Craig is ambitious and will do everything within that remit to get Hearts pushing as far as possible. He has a head coach he knows has talent who brings a professional set-up far beyond any other team in the country (except perhaps Celtic), he is signing players who are above what we would normally expect to get (and it is taking a huge amount of hard work, patience and often rejection) something other teams would just not bother as it is too much to do. Everything he is doing within his allotted budget from Ann is being put in to put Hearts as high up the league as possible. 

Could we challenge Celtic for the title, who knows. Aberdeen did it last year. It will be extremely tough for us to do this season. I would be happy with a top 6 finish as I want us to keep building up. 

I also think we dont need to worry about going overboard in spending to reach over the top aims as Ann Budge has been clear that she is running the club financially soundly, hence why she sets Craig Levein a budget at the start of the season for the football side of the club, and its up to Craig how he spends it. Having the control is key.

Hackney Hearts

Not sure why we're any likelier to win the league in 4/5 years than we are next year. Yes, we'll get some new players in that time, but we'll lose a lot too. Right now, there's no Rangers and a relatively mediocre Celtic - factors which could both change over the next 4/5 years.

How good could we be next season? Hard to know, but one stat that keeps me optimistic is that in 84/85 we finished a poor 7th; the following season - with just 2 new signings (John Colquhoun & Iain Jardine) - we came within 7 minutes of the title. 

The pre-season odds for a Hearts title win in 2005/06 were 400 or 500 to 1. (I know because I stood to win roughly ?65,000 if we'd done it!)

This pre-season it's somewhere between 33-1 and 66-1 (newly promoted, yet 3rd favourites).  A lot of that has to do with the fact there's only one OF team there, i.e. it was always possible for one of them to have a rank season, but very unlikely for both to under-perform. And it's worth noting that the likes of Kilmarnock are 1,000-1.... so there's "unlikely" and there's "do me a favour".

Not sure why we're any likelier to win the league in 4/5 years than we are next year. Yes, we'll get some new players in that time, but we'll lose a lot too. Right now, there's no Rangers and a relatively mediocre Celtic - factors which could both change over the next 4/5 years.

How good could we be next season? Hard to know, but one stat that keeps me optimistic is that in 84/85 we finished a poor 7th; the following season - with just 2 new signings (John Colquhoun & Iain Jardine) - we came within 7 minutes of the title. 

The pre-season odds for a Hearts title win in 2005/06 were 400 or 500 to 1. (I know because I stood to win roughly ?65,000 if we'd done it!)

This pre-season it's somewhere between 33-1 and 66-1 (newly promoted, yet 3rd favourites).  A lot of that has to do with the fact there's only one OF team there, i.e. it was always possible for one of them to have a rank season, but very unlikely for both to under-perform. And it's worth noting that the likes of Kilmarnock are 1,000-1.... so there's "unlikely" and there's "do me a favour".

I'm excited - what are the chances that a league wining side get into the premier league then win it ? That's what I'm aiming for ;) 

JeanLouisValois84

Aberdeen are nothing special. Don't think we should be fearing them at all

loveofthegame

With his ****ed rangers are and are likely to remain for the next few years and least and given Celtic are anything but special, there may never be a better time for a non-OF club to seriously challenge.

This season will come too soon for us but I'm miles away from the "let's stay up" camp. We should be aiming for top 3 this season, with a real push in the cups. Then if we can keep the nucleus of the squad together and rn/cl into season 2016/17, who knows.

Dreaming a bit? Possibly. But isn't that what football is all about.

Arthur Morgan

I think winning the league is definitely an achievable target to aim for within the next 10 years.

We_are_the_Hearts

Loving the ambition here and the way it should be, Alex Ferguson and Jim McLean attitude. A few OF apoligists but thats to be expected with their agendas

hmfc_liam06

I think he beilieves we can challenge for the league and cement ourselves as a top club in Scotland.

Winning it will be difficult, I think he beleives we can consistntly challenge, if you do that you never know.

If Rangers stay down, again, ourselves and Aberdeen must be confident of doing somthing special.

We have the foundations in place to really grow as a company and a club. time will tell.

Neilson is also a positve and forward thinking manager, it is a good balance.

I do beilive Levien has somthing to prove to the SFA, not only with the Scotland debacle but also with Utd and the referee's, and I think he has unfinished business with Hearts, I could see him going all Kevin Keegan if Hearts were in with a shout of winning the league.

He is a determined individual and I think dislikes the OF, somthing like Jim McLean or even Alex Ferguson( mentality wise)at Aberdeen. He knows the OF are at thier weakest in maybe 2 decades. Hearts, if the plan comes together will be at thier strongest in over 10 years.

The set up is corect, the finances are the best in my lifetime, the club will have the highest ave crowds in my lifetime, the playing squad is coming together, on top of that it feels good.

If Levein can get the mentality right, I think this is really important then Robbie and Hearts will have a good future.

Rangers staying down or going pop would greatly aid any league challenge.

How many ways can one person spell believe wrong :lol:

Archived