Levein's Ambition

Daveandal

CollyWolly

If we ever got close to winning the league then Celtic would just double their spending to make sure that didn't happen.

They can't and won't. They are 10-15k down a week in attendances and they don't have millions to spend on players any more (otherwise they'd be buying champions league quality) A couple of years missing the group stages of the CL (hopefully) and the continued absence of Rangers will see a hell of a difference in the landscape.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They can't and won't. They are 10-15k down a week in attendances and they don't have millions to spend on players any more (otherwise they'd be buying champions league quality) A couple of years missing the group stages of the CL (hopefully) and the continued absence of Rangers will see a hell of a difference in the landscape.

They can and would. Let's not kid ourselves, we won't see celtic in financial trouble any time soon.

Gigolo-Aunt

Perhaps but it is harmless.

Unlike the folk who want us to go back into millions of pounds of debt to finance a stadium that will seldom be full.

Our league campaign will take care of itself we have a budget and will stick to it.

I am more worried about a few years down the line with fan ownership. We have to have sensible people in charge able to stand up to the people who wish to drag us back into debt. Some of the posts on the Stadium subject are sheer fantasy.

I't is and it isn't harmless.

A poor run of results in a calender month will see a fair chunk of posters on this thread lose their shit as they have set their expectations unnaturally high.

CollyWolly

They can and would. Let's not kid ourselves, we won't see celtic in financial trouble any time soon.

So let's not bother then. Let's just settle for second best because we're feared the big rich kid has better toys. God job Aberdeen and Dundee Utd didn't think that way back in the 80's.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Whilst I agree with you to a certain extent. They WOULD chuck money at it, it doesn't guarantee it would work. Nine times out of ten it will, but it only takes that one time. Watching the 97/98 video on the other thread shows that money doesn't guarantee the title. Celtic spent under ten million in transfer fees that season, while Rangers spent about 14 million and were chasing ten in a row. We spent peanuts. Celtic won the league, we came close, we won the Cup.

I agree it's unlikely and improbable, but it is not impossible. As long as we do it in a sustainable way, we should have ambitions to win the league, not expectations.

Gigolo-Aunt

So let's not bother then. Let's just settle for second best because we're feared the big rich kid has better toys. God job Aberdeen and Dundee Utd didn't think that way back in the 80's.

Which is also the last time anyone outside the OF won the top division - in the mid 80's.

30 years ago.

We might just become the best we can be under the this regime which is great and we could be pretty successful.

Let's not pretend that celtic are going to crumble and we'll become Scotland's dominant force though.

CollyWolly

I't is and it isn't harmless.

A poor run of results in a calender month will see a fair chunk of posters on this thread lose their shit as they have set their expectations unnaturally high.

Posters losing their shit is completely harmless. Having high or low expectations is harmless. Discussing anything on a forum, apart from how to join ISIS or make a bomb, is harmless. The whole board is harmless. As far as I am aware it hasn't caused any harm in its entire existence. If folk want to blow gas about us winning the title in 3 years, that's harmless. If folk think we'll get relegated in the next 3 years that's also harmless.

CollyWolly

Which is also the last time anyone outside the OF won the top division - in the mid 80's.

30 years ago.

And your point is ?

Gigolo-Aunt

Posters losing their shit is completely harmless. Having high or low expectations is harmless. Discussing anything on a forum, apart from how to join ISIS or make a bomb, is harmless. The whole board is harmless. As far as I am aware it hasn't caused any harm in its entire existence. If folk want to blow gas about us winning the title in 3 years, that's harmless. If folk think we'll get relegated in the next 3 years that's also harmless.

Crikey

CollyWolly

We might just become the best we can be under the this regime which is great and we could be pretty successful.

Let's not pretend that celtic are going to crumble and we'll become Scotland's dominant force though.

Who said anything about becoming the dominant force ?

If we're going to win the league in the medium term it will be a complete one off, or possibly two off. Just as non OF teams winning the league always has been.

No one imagines us becoming the dominant force, certainly not me.

Gigolo-Aunt

And your point is ?

That it was 30 years ago - which in turn shows the scale of the effort required to win the top division.

Gigolo-Aunt

If we're going to win the league in the medium term it will be a complete one off, or possibly two off. Just as non OF teams winning the league always has been.

Now we have won it twice!

CollyWolly

That it was 30 years ago - which in turn shows the scale of the effort required to win the top division.

Aye because I said it would be easy right enough.

I said it was possible under certain conditions. Hardly any of which are currently present IMO, but all of which are 'possible'

I was being dramatic for effect.

I just don't see us winning the league unfortunately. I don't think that means we should give up though or why would we all be hearts fans in the first place?

CollyWolly

Now we have won it twice!

There are precedents for non OF clubs winning it twice in fairly quick succession if not back to back.

Gigolo-Aunt

Aye because I said it would be easy right enough.

I said it was possible under certain conditions. Hardly any of which are currently present IMO, but all of which are 'possible'

You are the one that mentioned, Colly.  I thought it highlighted the how difficult the task actually is.

You seen to be getting a wee bit upset at folk having different opinions from you - its just a message board mate.

I kind of agree. If Celtic make the Champions League Group Stage then they can safely buy the league here if someone was to put in a challenge....but if they don't do they take the risk of splashing cash they don't have just to see off Aberdeen? If they go 4 or 5 years with no CL football is it sustainable to spend millions each year? It leaves them with a dilemma....do they risk losing the league to keep the books balanced?

Celtic are fine as long as nothing changes.....

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I just don't see us winning the league unfortunately. I don't think that means we should give up though or why would we all be hearts fans in the first place?

:spoton:

Supporter expectation or disappointment is not going to harm the team in any significant way.

Finlay James

Is there a vein throbbing on your forehead? Take a deep breath

Spot on. We shouldn't bother trying to win the league.

So some high reaching optimism is to be considered harmful 'cos some Internet site people might be discontented at some bad results. Aw naw.

:cornette:

Forget all about it lads. The know-alls have decreed we can't challenge at the top.

Ron Burgundy

The posters who think that stuff on here directly affects Hearts have an over inflated sense of importance.

CollyWolly

You are the one that mentioned, Colly.  I thought it highlighted the how difficult the task actually is.

You seen to be getting a wee bit upset at folk having different opinions from you - its just a message board mate.

I'm not in the least upset mate. The written word on a football fans forum, full of muppets, simply doesn't have that power over me.

The task is difficult. I said so myself. And at no stage did I say I thought we would win the league. In fact it's highly unlikely. There are circumstances which are possible to come about where we COULD win it though.

CollyWolly

Is there a vein throbbing on your forehead? Take a deep breath

Sitting perfectly calm and healthy with a coffee and a croissant mate. Don't worry about me. Do folk get upset about stuff like this ?

Ron Burgundy

I'm not in the least upset mate. The written word on a football fans forum, full of muppets, simply doesn't have that power over me.

The task is difficult. I said so myself. And at no stage did I say I thought we would win the league. In fact it's highly unlikely. There are circumstances which are possible to come about where we COULD win it though.

Of course we can win it. Highly unlikely but possible. I bet the posters who state we have no chance probably still buy a lottery ticket.

alwaysthereinspirit

Having a lofty league position most likely means we have players playing well and that is were we will have issues. Celtic and/or English teams will start sniffing around. An academy bringing through replacements is a must for us. Selling to Celtic has to be a no no from day one. I feel right now we are on the right track to stay strong for a while. The mentality of being the best of the rest has to end in Scotland or winning the league will never happen for any team other than Celtic.

I never want to hear a Hearts manager again bumming up any of the two @$$ cheeks.

CollyWolly

Of course we can win it. Highly unlikely but possible. I bet the posters who state we have no chance probably still buy a lottery ticket.

We have come fairly close 3 times ( painfully close twice) since I became a Hearts fan. Each time the teams we were competing with were stronger than what would be in front of us today.

2 or 3 years of steady growth on our part. 2 or years of continued steady decline on Celtics part is all it would take for a chance to present itself.

CollyWolly

Colly you need to calm down mate. You're normally quite a decent poster. What's up?

Aye okay. Perfectly calm here. Heartbeat and pulse are all normal. It's a debate is all.

Aye okay. Perfectly calm here. Heartbeat and pulse are all normal. It's a debate is all.

Good stuff mate.

Ignore the trolls on here :thumbsup:

30 years ago.

And we are now in an era where Rangers are now out the top league for the 4th season on the trot.

Who'd have thought?

Things are different. Cycles change.

Gigolo-Aunt

And we are now in an era where Rangers are now out the top league for the 4th season on the trot.

Who'd have thought?

Things are different. Cycles change.

And still nobody has won the league out with the OF

Big cycles

I'll repeat what I said elsewhere before. In recent seasons the team who has brought in a player in January who made the biggest impact was us last season with Zeefuik.

Point is if we are in the hunt for the league this year I'd say that we are just as well equipped from a connection perspective to bring in someone who will make a difference as Celtic.

We clearly have good reliable contacts on the ground in Holland and Spain. Great technical quality football countries. We are obviously also making touch with players/agents well ahead of signing them ie putting the groundwork in.

Clerry Jambo

If we get in to europe that will do me! A trip to hampden wouldnt go a miss either! :)

Folk think we can work the league that's fine, folk think we can't that's fine, but the above is certainly more realistic

Bert Le Clos

The long term aim should be to win the league.

It's hugely ambitious and might never happen. But I'm sure Budge, Levein and Neilson will have short, mid and long term aims and I'm convinced a proper crack at the title will feature in them at some point.

It won't be in their short terms plans though. Stupid to think it would.

FarmerTweedy

Talk about aiming high!

However I get what you mean and agree. Got to be more realistic and we should be happy with a top 6 finish.

We have a nice squad and some good players but I think most over rate how good we are based on last season. It will be interesting to see how this place reacts when we go 4/5 games without a win!

No, we shouldn't, unless we're up towards the top end of the top 6.  We're a bigger club than any other in Scotland except celtic and the rangers. The idea that we should be happy with 6th place finishes, with at least three (and next season 4) smaller clubs finishing ahead of us, is ridiculous.

Maroon Sailor

And still nobody has won the league out with the OF

Big cycles

Get your money on Hearts to pip Celtic on the last day

Getting to where ICT and Aberdeen are should be our target.

You're mistaking "aiming North' and 'aiming high' ;)

Heartsofgold

Getting to where ICT and Aberdeen are should be our target.

Sorry, don't agree with this.  We should be targeting where Celtic are, no less.  It may take some time but with careful management and a bit of luck we should be able to challenge them on a regular basis.  They are going to struggle to attract the higher standard of players that they used to due to the percieved lack of club competition in the Scottish game.

To be fair a lot of the naysayers on here didn't think we'd win the league last season either...

I like optimism, i'm optimistic, don't know why any Hearts fan would be any different or try to dampen the optimism of other fans.

ChunkyCharlie

We are miles away from competing for the league.

Celtic to win the league by 15+ points.

Heartsofgold

I like optimism, i'm optimistic, don't know why any Hearts fan would be any different or try to dampen the optimism of other fans.

This is where I am but with a healthy dose of realism mixed in.

Maybe to stop those who are living in fantasy land from over-reacting and booing when we inevitably drop points to teams like St Johnstone or Dundee.

It is unlikely that we'll be pumping everyone else in the league every week, and people should be prepared to accept that.

This is where I am but with a healthy dose of realism mixed in.

Exactly.

Every single season I think we'll win the league.

I also know it usually won't happen.

alwaysthereinspirit

Maybe to stop those who are living in fantasy land from over-reacting and booing when we inevitably drop points to teams like St Johnstone or Dundee.

It is unlikely that we'll be pumping everyone else in the league every week, and people should be prepared to accept that.

Celtic dropped points last season to those same type teams and still won the league. I just want us to believe it can be done.

Thinking you can't win it prior to game one even being played needs to be eliminated by all other teams/coaches/management.

Celtic do not have a God given right to just assume it's theirs.

I will be surprised if there is a significant number of people "losing their shit" if we are not pumping teams week on week but with the team we have and the opposition we will be up against there is every reason to be excited about the season ahead, it's almost like following hearts brings nothing but misery to some people.

Archived