Tour de France 2015 (merged threads)

Craig Gordons Gloves

Yep. I like Sagan but he is the superhero of cycling if you listen to the ITV4 commentary team.

Cancellara is an amazing rider though and deserves yellow. And as I'm typing this they are saying if Cavendish hadn't sat up and held on for third his team mate Tony Martin would have got yellow. Whoops.

So if Cavendish wasn't selfish Tony Martin would be in yellow?

He'll be popular tonight.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
invernessjt

Tony Martin will be raging with Cavendish tonight. If Cav had ridden through the line then Martin would've been in yellow. Selfish pr***!

All roads lead to Gorgie

Froome is an intermediate rider?

I mean he is not an out and out climber,  although he is strong in that department he can pace it with the best on flat stages as well. Good all rounder would be the best term I can think of.

Massive crash on today's stage about 50k from the finish. Lots of fallers including Cancellara. Nasty one as it was on a long straight with everyone at about 50kph. The organisers have actually neutralised the stage until the situation is sorted out. Very nasty with ambulances on the way.

Edit. Stage restarted.

Edit neutralised again.

Absolute carnage.

Is it being neutralised due to the yellow jersey being down?

I reckon it's just because of the vast number of riders down. Several top riders have pulled out already including Simon Gerrans and Tom Demoulin.

Adam Murray

I reckon it's just because of the vast number of riders down. Several top riders have pulled out already including Simon Gerrans and Tom Demoulin.

Yes, seems to be the case. Three out altogether just now with William Bonnet being the other. Demoulin had a chance of yellow today to.

Some riders in a pretty bad way waiting to restart. There are going to be a few guys having very painful showers for the next few days.

These boys are seriously tough.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Phew that was a big crash. Bad as it was it could have been much worse with that lamp post there as well. Not sure how bad the second crash was.

The television coverage have just said that Laurence Ten Dam dislocated his shoulder in the crash but the team put it back in and he got back on his bike. Jings.

When the camera first cut to the crash and I saw the lampost, I feared the worst (shades of the bollards on the tour of Basque country earlier this year).

Amazing how many crashes happen on dead straight roads. High speeds, not paying enough attention, a wee touch of wheels then boom. Tour over.

Amazing how many crashes happen on dead straight roads. High speeds, not paying enough attention, a wee touch of wheels then boom. Tour over.

I'm not sure there was any contact. It looked like the first rider to go down just lost the front wheel. Maybe a sudden puncture and the tyre rolled off the wheel.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Would like to see froome win it. The year he lost out to wiggins left a bad taste

Would like to see froome win it. The year he lost out to wiggins left a bad taste

I'm not a fan of Sky but they are hugely more likeable with Froome leading. With Wiggins it was like watching a chess game with everything built around the time trials and no individuality allowed. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I'm not a fan of Sky but they are hugely more likeable with Froome leading. With Wiggins it was like watching a chess game with everything built around the time trials and no individuality allowed.

I wouldn't have minded so much had Wiggins been their only contender but Froome was basically forced to cycle below full tilt

Great day for Froome.

Utter carnage though.

What happened at the 2nd crash?

All roads lead to Gorgie

I wouldn't have minded so much had Wiggins been their only contender but Froome was basically forced to cycle below full tilt

I remember Froome could have burned Wiggins on the climbs but wasn't allowed to. There was the case where he made a break on a climb expecting wiggins to follow and see he home but had to slow down and wait. I know it is a team game but Froome should have been leader when Wiggins triumphed.

invernessjt

Froome was there to support Wiggins. Sky's whole focus on the Tour was to for Wiggins to be in yellow in Paris (which he was). Froome came across as a bit of an arsehole for what he did on that climb.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Froome was there to support Wiggins. Sky's whole focus on the Tour was to for Wiggins to be in yellow in Paris (which he was). Froome came across as a bit of an arsehole for what he did on that climb.

Wiggins was better box office I suppose. Stick him on the side of a van and sell more Sky Boxes.  :smiley2:

All roads lead to Gorgie

A number of riders changing bikes between the cobble sections and the smooth roads if I picked that up right. Didn't know that was allowed mid race! Wider tyres and suspension. Is that right!

All roads lead to Gorgie

Aye I'm sure a few of the riders did that on the Paris-Roubaix this year too

I heard it right then. Cheers

A number of riders changing bikes between the cobble sections and the smooth roads if I picked that up right. Didn't know that was allowed mid race! Wider tyres and suspension. Is that right!

Perfectly legitimate, in fact in one of last years Grand Tours (The Vuelta I think) Quintana actually changed bikes during a time trial as it was half hilly and half flat. The bikes for cobble tend to have bigger tyres and clearance and more slightly longer rear ends to the frames making them less twitchy to handle as well as more comfortable.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Perfectly legitimate, in fact in one of last years Grand Tours (The Vuelta I think) Quintana actually changed bikes during a time trial as it was half hilly and half flat. The bikes for cobble tend to have bigger tyres and clearance and more slightly longer rear ends to the frames making them less twitchy to handle as well as more comfortable.

I suppose the mechanics have the bike set up so time lost in the change over is miniscule. A bit like formula one having cars set up for each circuit.

All roads lead to Gorgie

The field maybe let Martin go to an extent but he still timed the break and held off the sprint well. Could hold yellow for a little while.

Adam Murray

The field maybe let Martin go to an extent but he still timed the break and held off the sprint well. Could hold yellow for a little while.

He should hold it till Saturday at least, maybe even beyond. Short steep finish up the Mur de Bretagne on Saturday which Tony Martin should be able to stick out with the leaders, then a lumpy team time trial on the Sunday which his team are normally good at, so it could see him stay in yellow through the first rest day on Monday and on to the first out of category (HC) summit finish on Tuesday, which normally you would rule a guy like Tony Martin out, but he did come second on top of Mont Ventoux in 2009, although that was part of a breakaway.

Looked like Cavendish lost the wheel of Renshaw in the sprint.

They seemed to have it under control with 2km to go.

Messed up sprint again for Cav/Renshaw but Griepel is a machine just now.

Messed up sprint again for Cav/Renshaw but Griepel is a machine just now.

I'm glad for him, he had slipped under the radar recently and it's great to see him reappear.

Adam Murray

The speed that Sagan came through at the end was phenomenal, just got his timing wrong. The small uphill sprint today may give him an advantage over the pure sprinters.

Looks like a broken collar bone for Tony Martin.

Bittersweet for the team after the stage win.

Craig Gordons Gloves

It seems like there are alot more crashes this year than i remember in last year or the year before.  I know there were a few but this year it seems like almost every stage there is a big crash. 

Shame for Tony Martin if he is out. He obviously wasn't going to win but going out like that will be a sore one. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

A shame for Martin and the Tour. It is exciting to watch someone willing to go for it on short hill top finishes. Now it could just be the sprinters on top until the Pyrenees unless a long breakaway is successful.

A strange one. I've only seen brief highlights buy it looks like Martin caused the incident by swerving into another rider. It almost looked like he was trying to avoid something in the road.

Craig Gordons Gloves

A strange one. I've only seen brief highlights buy it looks like Martin caused the incident by swerving into another rider. It almost looked like he was trying to avoid something in the road.

That's what I've been thinking as well, it almost looked like he went to shoulder the other rider.

Adam Murray

That's what I've been thinking as well, it almost looked like he went to shoulder the other rider.

Seems like he caught the back wheel of the Europcar rider in front of him sending him to the right and therefore creating a domino effect. Can't believe Nibali thought that Froome had caused the accident. Anyway, no yellow jersey on the start line today but, if things stay the way they are, Froome will be in yellow at the end of the day.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Cav finally wins a stage this year and Froome back in yellow.  Really looking forward to the mountains coming up.  Just a couple of minutes between Froome, Contador, Nibali and Quintana.  Dark horse could be Van Garderen who is in the top 3 and is quite comfortable in the mountains. 

Adam Murray

Interesting today that if Peter Sagan wins the stage, and Chris Froome is a couple of place behind, Sagan would hold the Yellow, Green and White jersey's.

Archived