Tour de France 2015 (merged threads)

Craig Gordons Gloves

Craig Gordons Gloves

Looking forward to this years Tour. I think that Sagan is on the right form to win the sprinters jersey. Mountains I'm not so sure of and overall, it's going to be quite interesting between Contador, Froome and Nibali with Quintana being a dark horse.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
invernessjt

Looking forward to this years Tour. I think that Sagan is on the right form to win the sprinters jersey. Mountains I'm not so sure of and overall, it's going to be quite interesting between Contador, Froome and Nibali with Quintana being a dark horse.

Hoping Nibali can do it again. The Astana team have looked really strong so far this season. Not sure you can call 2nd Fav Quintana a dark horse! 

I'd love to see Sagan win the green but I don't think he will.

Roll on Saturday.

a few week s ago i would have said Conatador would stroll it, but after watching Froome last week, he might be in with a chance, 2 completely different styles of mountain climbers will make interesting viewing.

As for Nibali and Quintana, not a chance. they dont have the team or ability to cope with the other 2.

Adam Murray

Really looking forward to this years Tour, with a bit of everything thrown into the course.

A change to the scoring for the sprinters jersey should make it more difficult for Sagan to win, where as he is a consistent top five finisher the change giving more points to the winner should favour the out and out sprinters, and with Marcel Kittel not being picked it's looking good for Cavendish this year.

As for the overall, it's one of the most open and hard to call Tours for years. Although Astana looked really strong at the recent Giro there is no place in their Tour squad for either Fabio Aru or Mikel Landa, Nibali seems to be hitting form at the right time though, winning the Italian championships at the weekend.

Quintana will find that his main problem may well be within his own team, with the inclusion of Spanish veteran Alejandro Valverde along with four other Spaniards, he may find it hard to recieve the full support of his team.

Contador and team Tinkoff seem strong on paper with Basso and Kreuziger along with the tactical nous of road captain Michael Rogers, and even if things don't go to plan, it has been shown as recently as this years Giro that Contador very rarely needs to rely on team mates when it gets to the steep stuff.

As for Froome and Sky, the team is built solely to support him and looks very strong, a lot depending on how Richie Porte has recovered from his disastrous Giro. A lot will depend on the first week, if Froome can get through the crosswinds of northern France and the sections of pave which were his downfall last year, he should be well equiped when it reaches the high mountains. 

There are also a number of riders in the background who will be looking for a slip from the main contenders to grab a podium place, Tejay Van Garderen has a strong BMC team round about him. Andrew Talansky will also have the full support of his Cannondale Garmin Team. Throw in some excellent home talent of Thibant Pinot and Romain Bardet and we have the makings of one of the best Tours for years.

This could be an epic. 4 men in with a proper shout at winning it.

Pave, time trials, mountains, this year's route has it all.

Cannae wait. :jjyay:

Craig Gordons Gloves

Hoping Nibali can do it again. The Astana team have looked really strong so far this season. Not sure you can call 2nd Fav Quintana a dark horse! 

I meant Quintana as a dark horse as the other 3 are proven already. He's only had the 1 tour and while he did well in it, the other 3 have shown up well this year so far. 

I'd like to see Pinot do well in the mountains as well. I did a fantasy team for Velogames - very tricky to stay within the 100 point limit

Hope Froome wins the GC. There's something very whiffy about Astana. In my opinion. Lutsenko's stage win in the tour de Suisse didn't look kosher. Got a feeling Quintana will have a good tour.

parisjambo

My favourite sporting event of the year outside of the JTs.

Heading up to Utrecht on Saturday for the opening stage. Final stage is starting about 20 mins from where I stay, so will be hoping to watch the (lack of) action at a few points before it heads off into Paris. Was hoping to get to Brittany for the stages there, but work has got in the way:(

Think it will be a battle between Froome and Nibali, although that'll depend on the condition of Contador after winning the Giro. Can't see Quintana winning, but he's got a good chance of the podium. Personally think Froome will win as Team Sky look strong having good performances in the Dauphin? and Tour du Suisse in the last month. Also they seem more focussed now without the sideshow that Wiggins seemed to create.

The parcours looks ideal for Sagan to win the Green jersey again; and with Kittel missing Cavendish hopefully should win a couple of stages. I'm sure he's targeting winning on the Champs-?lys?es again.

I reckon the yellow is a straight fight between Froome, Contador and Nibali with one of them getting edged out of the top 3 by Quintana.

The green is much harder to call as I haven't checked out the make up of all the stages. Michael Mathews and John Degenkolb could chuck a spanner in the works for Sagan in the earlier stages before the mountains finish them off. And Nacer Bouhanni gets better all the time but isn't at 100% after a big crash a few days ago. 

The mountains will be interesting as well, a lot of good climbers in this years race and it will be nice that the race is more likely to be decided there rather than a time trial. 

The White Cockade

Hoping for a couple of stage wins for Cav

British champ and fellow Manxman Pete Kennaugh will be a workhorse for Sky

but he is good in breakaways if the team let him join one

Cavendish has a good train so he should win green.

Anything can happen though.

Adam Murray

Regarding the green points jersey this year, there are six stages that are more or less pan flat and will be targeted by the sprinters teams, stages 2, 5, 6, 7, 15 and 21. The difference in the scoring is that first place scores 50 points (45 last year), second place scores 30 points (35 last year), third place 20 points (25 last year) with a sliding scale all the way down to 15th place, so certainly at the finish line it will favour the pure sprinters. Peter Sagan, Michael Mathews and John Degenkolb are the sprinters who can get over the lumpy stuff as well though so if one of them hoovers up enough points in some of the intermediate sprints, the green jersey could be theirs

All roads lead to Gorgie

post-2100-0-74541000-1435785874_thumb.jpgThis years route. A lot of stages in the north and into Brittany.

siegementality

Three weeks today I'll be in Paris, with grandstand seats on the Champs ?lys?es for the finish on the Sunday. Can't wait!

invernessjt

Three weeks today I'll be in Paris, with grandstand seats on the Champs ?lys?es for the finish on the Sunday. Can't wait!

I'd prefer to be at a mountain stage.

Not even started yet and Lars Boom may not start due to low cortisol levels which may be a sign of cortisone use. Cortisone isn't a doping issue but a rider health one.

However his team (Astana, who else) may leave him in the team if they leave MPCC which is a doping control movement. A lot of teams including Sky aren't part of MPCC

invernessjt

Not even started yet and Lars Boom may not start due to low cortisol levels which may be a sign of cortisone use. Cortisone isn't a doping issue but a rider health one.

However his team (Astana, who else) may leave him in the team if they leave MPCC which is a doping control movement. A lot of teams including Sky aren't part of MPCC

Seems straightforward enough, just leave MPCC like all the others and let Boom ride. Why pick on Astana when the other teams aren't subjected to the same tests?

Frank Sidebottom

Who's going to win this year? I reckon the wee Colombian Quintana has a good chance since the parcours will suit the climbers this year.

Or will Contador complete a Giro-Tour double?

All roads lead to Gorgie

Who's going to win this year? I reckon the wee Colombian Quintana has a good chance since the parcours will suit the climbers this year.

Or will Contador complete a Giro-Tour double?

Probably more pressure on Contador as people will expect him to do the double whilst Quintana seems more relaxed. Their battles in the mountains will perhaps decide it although I wouldn't rule out the more intermediate riders like Froom to be there or there abouts.

Frank Sidebottom

Probably more pressure on Contador as people will expect him to do the double whilst Quintana seems more relaxed. Their battles in the mountains will perhaps decide it although I wouldn't rule out the more intermediate riders like Froom to be there or there abouts.

It will also be interesting to see whether the main contenders can get through the cobbles on stage 4 unscathed.

All roads lead to Gorgie

It will also be interesting to see whether the main contenders can get through the cobbles on stage 4 unscathed.

I think they will be well back in main bunch that day taking it very easy indeed.

I think they will be well back in main bunch that day taking it very easy indeed.

That all depends on the next two stages, Nibali went at the cobbles 100% last year and cemented the lead over other contenders. You are better being near the front as all it takes is one large crash in front of you and you could lose a lot of time. 

Freaky Dancer

The first week will be decisive, each stage is like a classic one day race. The strong sky team reflects this with a number of riders that are good over the cobbles. They have a number of options certainly more than most of their rivals. If they can give froome a lead going into the mountains he'll be hard to beat. Quintana is the stand out climber in the pack but he will need a strong Valverde to help him win. For contador to win would be some feat after the giro but think the 3rd week will take its toll.

One things for sure, I'll be glued to the TV for the next 3 weeks!

All roads lead to Gorgie

That all depends on the next two stages, Nibali went at the cobbles 100% last year and cemented the lead over other contenders. You are better being near the front as all it takes is one large crash in front of you and you could lose a lot of time. 

Nibali is the bravest of the main contenders so it wouldn't surprise me if he did have a go on the cobbles again. He wont give up his crown easily and he will hope to pick up time when least expected.

invernessjt

I don't think there's any more pressure on Contador than there is on any of the other main GC contenders. And I certainly don't think he's got extra pressure on him because he won (as expected) the Giro.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I don't think there's any more pressure on Contador than there is on any of the other main GC contenders. And I certainly don't think he's got extra pressure on him because he won (as expected) the Giro.

No I was just comparing the relative positions of  Contador and Quintana in answer to a question  and who would be seen as favourite between them. I am not sure if all the main GC contenders competed in the Giro Italia and what the margins were between the winner and the rest. I only really follow the TDF in great detail to be honest.

Good ride from Rohan Dennis yesterday. What a time.

Think the big 4 will be satisfied with their times.

Sprinters to flex their muscles today, see who's on form

Cavendish must be favourite today with his lead out train.

Preview of today's route was hilarious. From 0 metres above sea level to 6 metres above sea level. 

A couple of hundred kilometres of coasting then a mad dash to the line.

:gok: 

It looks very windy so good teamwork is essential today. Riding as a team in side winds is a real skill.

Rocco_Jambo

Froome is an intermediate rider?

It's pretty horrible out there just now with strong winds and pouring rain. Lots of experts worried about the final kilometre being carnage. Even before that there are crashes happening with 50k to go. I think a smart sprinter may opt out of a big finish today. Not that sprinters are known for being very smart when it comes to safety.

Adam Murray

Who said flat stages were boring? Absolute carnage out there, riders strewn all over the shop!

Who said flat stages were boring? Absolute carnage out there, riders strewn all over the shop!

Yip.

A crosswind can't half wreck a peloton.

Why is there 2 threads on this?

If you've noticed the black gadgets under all the saddles they are data senders. If you use Twitter you can follow @letourdata and they give updates on things like rider speed during stages. Quite interesting stuff if you're a bit of an anorak. For example the speed during the intermediate sprint today was over 55kph.

Yip.

A crosswind can't half wreck a peloton.

Why is there 2 threads on this?

Merge required.

Merge required.

Agree.

Nibili gets a puncture. Could find it difficult now.

Lead group average speed is 54kph. It's a happy day for me if I see a number like that on my strava. And it's normally downhill in perfect conditions. Not on the flat in that weather.

Looks like Cavendish went to early there.

Big time loss for Quintana and Nibali today.

Cavendish was caught between a rock and a hard place.

He had to go then and it cost him.

Sagan done well to get 2nd after his late puncture.

Yep. I like Sagan but he is the superhero of cycling if you listen to the ITV4 commentary team.

Cancellara is an amazing rider though and deserves yellow. And as I'm typing this they are saying if Cavendish hadn't sat up and held on for third his team mate Tony Martin would have got yellow. Whoops.

Archived