Tour de France 2015 (merged threads)

Craig Gordons Gloves

deesidejambo

drugs has been so much part of cycling it will take a generation till the doubts and the shit dispel

Clean guys like Froome and like Wiggins did will have to take the shit meantime

tough but tougher to get it clean

Professional cycling is lucky it didn't get banned / extinguished

athletics isn't far behind and it doesn't help that the likes of Contador and Gatlin were allowed to compete again.

Exactly.   If the sport continues to let confirmed cheats back in then the cheating will continue.   

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adam Murray

Until the rules are changed and bans are set for longer than two years it's human nature that some people will try and gain an unfair advantage. There will always be suspicion by some as long as you have riders like Contador and Valverde, plus others in the peleton who have been linked to doping scandals and have had dealings with doctors such as Fuentes and Ferrari. 

Froome reporting he had a cup of urine thrown in his face.

Charming.

Watched the highlights show and all the way through it all I could think was they cycling fans are weirdos and arseholes. Then Froome revealed that and they mentioned that someone else was spat in their face. Confirmed my views.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Watched the highlights show and all the way through it all I could think was they cycling fans are weirdos and arseholes. Then Froome revealed that and they mentioned that someone else was spat in their face. Confirmed my views.

Their must be lots of villages in Europe pleased that their eejits take a little sabbatical at Tour de France time. A large amount of spectators seem to be there in a see me exercise rather than an interest in cycling.

It's always been the way on the mountain stages, people turn up first thing or camp for days to get a good spot and then spend all day on the booze before the riders reach them. Also because of the slower speeds it gives arseholes a chance to have their little bit of fame on camera. 

090861-alberto-contador.jpg

Interesting background to that one. It was just after Contador came back from a doping ban. 

Nasty one for Geraint Thomas.

Faceplants a lampost at speed and flies down a steep hill. Looks like he's ok though! :wow:

All roads lead to Gorgie

Glad to see Thomas is ok and up and riding again after head butting a telegraph pole. Looked nasty at the time!

Craig Gordons Gloves

How many top 3 stage finishes has Sagan had this tour? He's surely got to win a stage this year.  

All roads lead to Gorgie

Did Barguil stay to check if Thomas was OK considering it was his fault, or just ride on as it appeared. Disappointing if that was the case !

Did Barguil stay to check if Thomas was OK considering it was his fault, or just ride on as it appeared. Disappointing if that was the case !

Rode on and almost did the same thing a couple of corners later!! He has history for being a reckless descender.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Rode on and almost did the same thing a couple of corners later!! He has history for being a reckless descender.

I know it is professional sport and it is everyone for themselves but I think most competitors in other sports would have stopped to check at least given it looked serious for a moment.

jambo in iraq

Tour organisers asking for trouble having a downhill on a old country road that is prone to melting. It took more than a few riders off their bikes the last time it was used. All for fun and excitement but no need for that kind of risk on what was essentially a transition stage that was never going to impact the GC. As for Barguil, he should have stayed to see Thomas was ok. He is not chasing GC, so he cannot use that as excuse. He would have seen the guy hit the post and disappear down the side of a hill. If it was a car that would have been hit and run and leaving the scene of an accident!!

Tour organisers asking for trouble having a downhill on a old country road that is prone to melting. It took more than a few riders off their bikes the last time it was used. All for fun and excitement but no need for that kind of risk on what was essentially a transition stage that was never going to impact the GC. As for Barguil, he should have stayed to see Thomas was ok. He is not chasing GC, so he cannot use that as excuse. He would have seen the guy hit the post and disappear down the side of a hill. If it was a car that would have been hit and run and leaving the scene of an accident!!

For me TdF should be run over all types of road to find out who the best rider is. Descending on highly technical roads such as this is all part of the game. Also it can have an impact on the GC. It was on this descent on the same Stage in 2011 that Cadel Evans put a chunk of time into Andy Schleck, which arguably won him the Tour.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Van Garderen abandons the race due to illness.  Been in 2nd or 3rd place for most of the race. 

Toxteth O'Grady

Van Garderen abandons the race due to illness.  Been in 2nd or 3rd place for most of the race. 

A shame for him having to pull out.

Still a couple of big days in the Mountains to go. Can Quintana or Valverde get a decisive break?

Craig Gordons Gloves

A shame for him having to pull out.

Still a couple of big days in the Mountains to go. Can Quintana or Valverde get a decisive break?

They looked to do that a few times today and Froome just reeled them back in every time.  Surely he's going to have a bad day in the Alps? Boy's a machine this year. 

Craig Gordons Gloves

Watching the podiums after today's stage, Quintana is that small that he was on the podium and one of the girls was taller than him by about 6 inches.

Adam Murray

It is however a quick horrendous climb today up a mountain that seems to be nothing but hairpins.

CKlLh-FW8AAEwaZ.jpg

Got to head up the Col de Glandon first, if one of the GC protagonists has good legs here and decides to attack it will blow riders all over the mountain.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I know it's not for a couple of days - but this Guardian interactive guide to Alpe D'Huez is good.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/ng-interactive/2015/jul/23/tour-de-france-the-climb-of-alpe-dhuez-interactive

Bardet with the stage today - all the leaders stayed together so no change. 

Unless Froome has a crash or develops the shits, i can't see him losing the yellow. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Loved watching some of those fast descents today, really exciting with speeds of 50mph. Stages can be won on descent but having said that getting over the high point at the front helps as Bardet did to perfection today.

Top speed recorded this year has been 106 km/h.

66 mph...on a pushbike!! 

I've cracked 50mph before. Fair to say it takes a while for your heart to get back to a normal speed after it. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I've cracked 50mph before. Fair to say it takes a while for your heart to get back to a normal speed after it.

I've cracked 30 mph but that was on an exercise bike ho ho. I'm a bit of a woos when it comes to roads in pot hole central that is Scotland.

Adam Murray

Huge stage today. Over 60km of climbing alone. Time for Team Movistar, who always seem to have numbers, to try something. Maybe time for Valverde to sacrifice his podium place and put Froome and Sky under pressure from the off Mathe leaving it open for Quintana to try something later

All roads lead to Gorgie

Huge stage today. Over 60km of climbing alone. Time for Team Movistar, who always seem to have numbers, to try something. Maybe time for Valverde to sacrifice his podium place and put Froome and Sky under pressure from the off Mathe leaving it open for Quintana to try something later

Can't see any of the climbers getting away from Froome as he always seems to be able to crank it up and reel them in no bother. If anyone is successful in putting distance between themselves and the Yellow Jersey then they will have to do it from well out!

Craig Gordons Gloves

I've not seen any of today's action but according to The Guardian's live updates - Froome was not happy about an attack while he was suffering from a mechanical. Pleased that Nibali got the stage win as it adds more points to my fantasy TDF team. 

Quintana clawed a small amount back on him today, Sky team dropped pretty quickly leaving Froome on his own, i wonder if Alpe D'Huez will be a climb too far for them to 'protect' him. 

What's the score if there is a small margin going into the final stage? I know traditionally that it's a procession but if there is a gap of say, 20 seconds would that mean we'd see a race on the final day? 

Adam Murray

I've not seen any of today's action but according to The Guardian's live updates - Froome was not happy about an attack while he was suffering from a mechanical. Pleased that Nibali got the stage win as it adds more points to my fantasy TDF team. 

Quintana clawed a small amount back on him today, Sky team dropped pretty quickly leaving Froome on his own, i wonder if Alpe D'Huez will be a climb too far for them to 'protect' him. 

What's the score if there is a small margin going into the final stage? I know traditionally that it's a procession but if there is a gap of say, 20 seconds would that mean we'd see a race on the final day? 

Nibali was behind Froome when the problem first occured, he then overtook him, looked back once and seen Froome dropping back, looked back again and saw Froome coming to a halt and then decided to attack, difference of opinion on what should happen in these situations, some say the race leader should not be attacked when he has a 'mechanical', others say that that's bike racing! On the final day's procession into Paris it's the norm not to fight for the lead, no matter how small the margin, the times they are a changing though, so who knows what would happen if Quintana managed to steal another couple of minutes tomorrow. I fully expect Froome and Sky to put on a strong show tomorrow though, on what is a relatively short, albeit mountainous stage. Froome to take yellow and the Polka dot jersey  :toff:

invernessjt

It would be impossibke for Quintana to get 20 secs back on the last stage. It will be the usual procession for the GC riders.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Nibali was behind Froome when the problem first occured, he then overtook him, looked back once and seen Froome dropping back, looked back again and saw Froome coming to a halt and then decided to attack, difference of opinion on what should happen in these situations, some say the race leader should not be attacked when he has a 'mechanical', others say that that's bike racing! On the final day's procession into Paris it's the norm not to fight for the lead, no matter how small the margin, the times they are a changing though, so who knows what would happen if Quintana managed to steal another couple of minutes tomorrow. I fully expect Froome and Sky to put on a strong show tomorrow though, on what is a relatively short, albeit mountainous stage. Froome to take yellow and the Polka dot jersey  :toff:

I think Quintana probably busted a gut to get second today whilst Froome was maybe holding back a bit for tomorrow. Todays finish may be repeated on l'Alpe d'Huez or maybe Quintana will reverse the position with Nibali but Froome will once again be close on their tails, too close to make any difference to the final outcome.

Nibili knew exactly what was happening when he attacked.

Just like Contador on Shleck a few years ago.

A low blow imo.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Nibili knew exactly what was happening when he attacked.

Just like Contador on Shleck a few years ago.

A low blow imo.

It was said on commentary that he was planning to attack at that point anyway but the fact he looked over his shoulder not once but twice makes it look opportunistic.

It was said on commentary that he was planning to attack at that point anyway but the fact he looked over his shoulder not once but twice makes it look opportunistic.

In his defence he may have just thought Froome was physically struggling. Looked a bit naughty on telly though.

Yes it's the 2 looks that makes him look bad.

Froome won't forget that.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Yes it's the 2 looks that makes him look bad.

Froome won't forget that.

It may well fire Froome up enough to win todays stage but the whole Sky Team will have to protect him better and try to stay with their leader for longer. Thomas looked spent yesterday however.

Toxteth O'Grady

Great effort by Quintana today but it's not enough.

Froome will enjoy his Champers at the start tomorrow.

Police opened fire on a car in Paris.

Seemingly tried to crash through barriers.

Will the race go ahead?

Archived