kimosavi

OmiyaHearts

Quotes plz

"He's not played for Ajax or Barcelona so hes pish type chat is woeful."

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getintaethem

I like Keatings and think he is a natural finisher, but have said before he needs to improve his hold up and link play to succeed at the top level. Haven't seen too much of Reilly, maybe eight games, and think he's been hot and cold. RN and CL must think he can develop into a more complete player.

It doesn't necessarily follow that Reilly coming in means Keatings leaving, but Keats obviously knows he's well down the pecking order.

Pans Jambo

You reading a different thread from me? Nobody's expecting a 6k a week striker or a household name.

Ajax and Barcelona?

:cornette:

People are questioning if he's better than what we have. Some think so some not.

My point is some still expect a big name signing and its not going to happen.

Hmm not convinced he's any better than what we have but if it does turn out to be true then more than happy to give him a chance and hope he turns out to be a star for a bigger club!

lost in space

You saw him play well several times last year. Me too.

I saw him be ineffectual a dozen times against championship teams with a premiership team behind him. Some folk have huge a huge blind spot when it comes to Keatings - he played 30 odd games last year, he wasn't much to write home about in atleast two thirds of them. His general play is well below par and, i repeat, the fact he could only hold down a place when we had no other fit strikers backs that up.

That is a very considered post. I actually agree. I thought you only posted to wind up others.

I'm not overselling my argument at all. I'm giving credit where it's due and pointing out reasons why he didnt get much game time when we had other options and he's been told he can leave if he wants to. He scored a very decent number of goals last season all things considered, but still didnt get much game time once they started to dry up - if he's not scoring, then he's not producing much else. Ergo, his general play is below par.

A well considered post which is unusual - thought tuna fish only did wind ups. (Note to self - dont use this damn tablet thing to post again).

You saw him play well several times last year. Me too.

I saw him be ineffectual a dozen times against championship teams with a premiership team behind him. Some folk have huge a huge blind spot when it comes to Keatings - he played 30 odd games last year, he wasn't much to write home about in atleast two thirds of them. His general play is well below par and, i repeat, the fact he could only hold down a place when we had no other fit strikers backs that up.

I'm not overselling my argument at all. I'm giving credit where it's due and pointing out reasons why he didnt get much game time when we had other options and he's been told he can leave if he wants to. He scored a very decent number of goals last season all things considered, but still didnt get much game time once they started to dry up - if he's not scoring, then he's not producing much else. Ergo, his general play is below par.

How many assists did keatings get this season?

A lot of people need to get things into perspective. For the wages we'll be paying who do they honestly think we'll be signing? Where will we be signing players from? FFS English 3rd tier teams pay more ?/week than we'll be paying

As for the guys not good enough comments we certainly seem to have a lot of scouts and player development coaches on KB that can realise a players potential or ability based on the few games they have watched him play in. Barca, Real, Chelsea, Bayern will be jumping at signing up some of the coaching talent we seem to have on KB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CollyWolly

My point is some still expect a big name signing and its not going to happen.

I expect us to sign a striker who has played and scored at a decent level.I won't have heard of him probably, but it will happen. Why ? Because we need one.

That is a very considered post. I actually agree. I thought you only posted to wind up others

I think i'd have been launched before i got to 14 thousand odd posts, but thanks. But if folk are wound up but what i say that's on them.

How many assists did keatings get this season?

Probably a fair few. But there's more to general play than just assists. Moves break down when he gets the ball; we either score because he shoots or makes a great pass or it simply fizzles out. And we play a possession heavy brand of football, so it seems james' style of play doesnt suit for him to merit a regular game.

I'm not saying he's useless, but however many assists he managed, and however many goals he managed, y'know what, he still never got a regular game when we had any other fit strikers so that tells me that he's been putting in some pretty poor performances somewhere.

maroonnicky63

And there we have it.

Folk judging him based on 1 mistake are why they're not paid to manage football teams.

I like him and think he's got something about him.

Well I agree with you but you are on jambos kick back.

Probably a fair few. But there's more to general play than just assists. Moves break down when he gets the ball; we either score because he shoots or makes a great pass or it simply fizzles out. And we play a possession heavy brand of football, so it seems james' style of play doesnt suit for him to merit a regular game.

I'm not saying he's useless, but however many assists he managed, and however many goals he managed, y'know what, he still never got a regular game when we had any other fit strikers so that tells me that he's been putting in some pretty poor performances somewhere.

Ye I don't know either, I remember him setting up billy king with a nice cross. I'm not sure he'll be a success next season or if he will get the opportunity, but if he does hope he takes the chance. A young guy still and has shown potential with some cracking goals.

mellors1874

Its like when we signed colin cameron and neil mccann it was a long term signing and to develop the player to a higher level and i think this is why we are after the lad he has loads of potential and if coached correctly he could be a great player for hearts

Buffalo Bill

I'm happy to go along with what Robbie decides. Either way, we'll have a new striker for August whether it's Reilly or someone else.  

LarrysRightFoot

My guess is he is being brought in (if we do sign him) as a number 10. From the little I've seen he looks to play a similar role to El Hass (although he is quicker but smaller).

Different to Carrick in that Carrick works the channels and plays probably best as a 9.

Different to Keatings as although Keats does have some really nice touches and a great left foot is again more of a 9.

My concern would be if it hinders Oliver's development - as I think there could be a player there - but in RN and CL we trust.

Not to mention Carrick and Oliver. Where do they fit in when we are signing young lower league prospects like Reilly ? Carrick especially as he is a semi-proven striker at Premiership level.

Injury prone dale you mean.

jambopilms

If Reilly is getting rated on how he played against rangers we need to get rid of most of our squad because we were gash against them and hibs.

If they have decided he is better than any of keatings carrick or Oliver then it should be out with the old and in with the new. That's how you build a better squad.

I think i'd have been launched before i got to 14 thousand odd posts, but thanks. But if folk are wound up but what i say that's on them.

Don't know how you've got away with +14000 posts????? Read your last couple of posts and it looks like you know feck all about football.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

The lad was selected into the championship team of the season. I would take him and Allan from hibs, they were the best available (loy had signed elsewhere). Keatings is good, how ever Hamilton didn't take him to spl, so probably not good enough although played well for us at times.

IIRC, Hamilton wanted to keep him on but he was used out of position a lot and he wanted to play as a striker.

Not 100% convinced about Reilly to be honest.  Sow is first pick, and Reilly isn't better than him.  He'll be an option off the bench I suspect and for me I'd prefer having Keatings play that role.

I'm a big fan of Keatings.  His movement in and around the box is superb and I'd argue he's the closest thing we've got to a natural goalscorer.  Aye, he missed a few good chances over the season but the goals he scored were really well taken.  He takes a good set piece, and that's something we'd lose if he was to leave.

I'm happy to trust Neilson and Levein, but I don't see this as a signing that will take us to the next level.  I'm not saying that Keatings is a player to do that either, mind, but for me at the moment he's a better player.  I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Don't know how you've got away with +14000 posts????? Read your last couple of posts and it looks like you know feck all about football.

How nice. Care to explain why you disagree with what i'm saying?

Or, better still, can you explain why James Keatings never managed to hold down a first team place despite scoring goals and getting assists? 

So a player who scored more goals last season than any of our strikers against the same teams we played against whilst playing for a team who finished 31 points behind us isn't good enough for us? His 15 goals included 2 goals against Rangers too.

So a player who scored more goals last season than any of our strikers against the same teams we played against whilst playing for a team who finished 31 points behind us isn't good enough for us? His 15 goals included 2 goals against Rangers too.

Derek Lyle scored more goals than Reilly.

Daniel Mullen (Livingston) scored one less than Walker.

You need to look beyond numbers.

hmfc_liam06

Who's actually been judging him based on the miss against Rangers? Seems to be a fashionable remark against those sceptical of the guys pedigree.

merseyjambo

If he signs, I have a feeling he will be a Jim Hamilton type player

Will probably score 10-12 goals a season and be a quietly effective if non spectacular player

You'd be surprised how easy some seem to find racking up high post counts when all they have to do everyday is sit in here blabbering constant keech.

Personally I go for the quality over quantity approach. (When it comes to speaking anyway) ;-)

Reilly looks a player. Lets be honest Keatings is pretty pish and Carrick is a crock. Upgrade in my book.

Bazzas right boot

For the avoidance of any doubt. 

Unless we get an absolute uncovered diamond e.g. Sow, Big Zee or Ozturk, we are not going to be signing ANY ?6k/week household named strikers etc.

Its been well documented that Hearts approach is to find them experienced but young and with the correct attitude/attributes to allow Hearts to mould him into a better player to allow us to get a decent sell on figure at a later date.

This lad falls into that category perfectly.

He's not played for Ajax or Barcelona so hes pish type chat is woeful.

Ajax are mince

portobellojambo1

I'm not sure this transfer in is going to happen. From what I'm hearing his agent has been punting him around a number of teams, whether they were interested or not, and QoS are looking for a large development fee for him. From what I heard the answer from HMFC was a polite "no thank you"  and we moved on to other players interesting us.

I know there's more to it than numbers, and our manager has said more than once it's about the right character. I dunno what Reilly's character is like but I'm guessing Robbie does. I just don't really get this "No better than what we have" chat.

fabienleclerq

I may be wrong but has reilly not made a habit of arriving late into the box? I get the feeling he may be used in more of a Hartley/Cameron role as opposed to actually playing up top.

I'm not sure this transfer in is going to happen. From what I'm hearing his agent has been punting him around a number of teams, whether they were interested or not, and QoS are looking for a large development fee for him. From what I heard the answer from HMFC was a polite "no thank you" and we moved on to other players interesting us.

The last story to come out was we were in talks regarding the development fee. QoS may want more than we are willing to pay. However I wouldn't think any DF would be so huge a deal can't be struck. He's no international and never played in top tier yet either. Like all negatiations one party starts high other starts low and it's a case of finding an agreeable middle ground if not then we may feel we have a good chance of winning an agreement in a tribunal.

jamboinglasgow

Completely agree, funnily enough while I am watching Moneyball which is about looking beyond the obvious to create a team.

It reminds me of a passage I read in inverting the pyramid by Jonathon Wilson. In it he talked about the British football obsession with the goal scorer. The argument is that in Britain if a striker scores goals, then teams and fans will love him no matter what and keep playing him. However the player could be causing problems for the way the team plays, meaning the team is not as effective as it could be. The example given was Michael Owen. So one player could provide 15 goals in a season but ultimately mean the team as a whole is restricted from scoring even more. 

portobellojambo1

The last story to come out was we were in talks regarding the development fee. QoS may want more than we are willing to pay. However I wouldn't think any DF would be so huge a deal can't be struck. He's no international and never played in top tier yet either. Like all negatiations one party starts high other starts low and it's a case of finding an agreeable middle ground if not then we may feel we have a good chance of winning an agreement in a tribunal.

Don't disagree with anything you say. My feelings would be how much did we or do we want him, indeed did we at all or were we just being loosely linked with him. Think all signings will depend on how many players Robbie and Craig feel we need and how they want to spread what is available to spend. Sure I remember something being linked to Robbie recently about being able to get better value if searching abroad, in terms of the sort of salaries being asked for. Only time will tell  who will eventually come in.

Don't disagree with anything you say. My feelings would be how much did we or do we want him, indeed did we at all or were we just being loosely linked with him. Think all signings will depend on how many players Robbie and Craig feel we need and how they want to spread what is available to spend. Sure I remember something being linked to Robbie recently about being able to get better value if searching abroad, in terms of the sort of salaries being asked for. Only time will tell who will eventually come in.

True. We may not even be after him I don't think I've seen any official quotes suggesting we are.

I think your right about what RN said I vaguely remember the same about better value for money abroad.

I'm of the belief RN and CL have identified who they want and have had the names for some time, and it's just a case of when we could approach the players. Like before I'm expecting surprises and the first anyone will know about any or some signings will be when we unveil them.

Completely agree, funnily enough while I am watching Moneyball which is about looking beyond the obvious to create a team.

It reminds me of a passage I read in inverting the pyramid by Jonathon Wilson. In it he talked about the British football obsession with the goal scorer. The argument is that in Britain if a striker scores goals, then teams and fans will love him no matter what and keep playing him. However the player could be causing problems for the way the team plays, meaning the team is not as effective as it could be. The example given was Michael Owen. So one player could provide 15 goals in a season but ultimately mean the team as a whole is restricted from scoring even more. 

Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Scores goals by the barrel load, but man utd went through their poorest spell in fergie's reign.

hmfc_liam06

Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Scores goals by the barrel load, but man utd went through their poorest spell in fergie's reign.

Probably more to do with a midfield of Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba :lol:

Probably more to do with a midfield of Kleberson and Djemba-Djemba :lol:

These things should never be viewed in isolation, you're right.

He also signed for them on loan from Gretna and after that signed a three year deal and is out of contract on 31 may 2015 so not sure how much if any development fee they would be entitled to.?

davemclaren

Decent player. If the club want him then happy to give him a chance. Robbie and Craig haven't got much wrong do far.

He Who Cannot Be Named

Also, going by his Twitter, he knows the difference between 'there', 'their' and 'they're', and he also likes punk music.

Got a good feeling about this kid.

He was at the same Hotelier gig I was at the other night  :smug:  Think i'm gonna like this lad.

jambos are go!

I think I read the same article a good few years ago and it was discussed on here. Basically trying to create chances for a non hold up striker got him goals but surrendered too much possession to your opponents. Possesion that gives them opportunities to score. It was given as the reason Liverpoool recruited Peter Crouch and Michael Owen left. Crouch was moved on though but has built a career around being a hold up striker who has a decent if not spectacular strike rate.

the geezer

Not convinced he's a player we will spend money on especially if it's 6 figures. IMO this will invested on physical presence up front

He also signed for them on loan from Gretna and after that signed a three year deal and is out of contract on 31 may 2015 so not sure how much if any development fee they would be entitled to.?

Are you sure you've got this right?

Was he not already signed for QoS and they loaned him out to Gretna?

Craigieboy

El Hassnobody?

:cornette: :cornette: :cornette:

^^^^^

Some of the abuse our players recieve on here is woeful.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Curious,some questions around how good the guy is,Keatings put up as a comparison,but yet Reilly marginally would have a better record in weaker sides. JKB logic

From the queens website.

He's been with Queens as a kid and loaned to Gretna.

Not sure if him not having a full time apprenticeship would make a difference on development fees.

Date of Birth 10/05/93

Place of Birth Dumfries

Position Striker

Previous Clubs  

Joined Club July 2010

Contract Expiry June 2015

Left Club  

Sponsor 1 W Dempster Roofing

Sponsor 2 Roger Turnbull

Sponsor 3 Devorgilla Doonhamers

Sponsor 4  

Squad Number 10

Signed a part time deal in July 2010 after turning down the offer of a Modern Apprenticeship place in favour of a non-football apprenticeship. Made his debut soon after and scored against Dumbarton but then spent most of the rest of the season on loan to Gretna 2008. Reilly scored his first senior hat trick on 1st September 2012 in the 6-0 win against Arbroath. He scored the second Queens goal in the cup wins against both Hibs and Rangers. Another announced on 17 April 2013 as having signed a one year contract extension

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Seems to have been missed in the melee of Hobo loss, Fowler quoted in the news, only a development fee to be agreed

Seems to have been missed in the melee of Hobo loss, Fowler quoted in the news, only a development fee to be agreed

Link?

Archived