Gavin Reilly Signs (Merged Threads)

kimosavi

I can't say I'm ecstatic at this news but I'm 100% behind the club and their signings last season had a startlingly good hit ratio. I trust 'em.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I can't really remember much of him from our games against QOS this season. The opposing striker who impressed me most was the lad up front for Dumbarton in their last game at Tynie. He looked like he has a bit of class. Remember looking him up at the time and he was recently signed from Queens Park, I think, so maybe a young prospect.

Jordan White @ Livvy has impressed me as well, looked good in the game on Boxing day and appears to have kicked on at the end of the season.

Unknown user

Tbf, El HassNobody is a ******* brilliant nickname

I look forward to the day when it'll be El HassAnotherOne

hughesie27

Judging him on the 1v1 against rangers, the boy is awful

Judging by Forrest's miss v St Johnstone last week he isn't even pub league.

Tokyo Drifter

Is he better than Keatings? EN says QoS wanting six figure sum: if we've got that to spend let's get Genaro back.

Judging by Forrest's miss v St Johnstone last week he isn't even pub league.

hehe correct. Think Reilly looks good from the limited amount i've seen of him (qots v us and gers x 2). Anyone seen much more and have more informed opinions?

Pans Jambo

For the avoidance of any doubt. 

Unless we get an absolute uncovered diamond e.g. Sow, Big Zee or Ozturk, we are not going to be signing ANY ?6k/week household named strikers etc.

Its been well documented that Hearts approach is to find them experienced but young and with the correct attitude/attributes to allow Hearts to mould him into a better player to allow us to get a decent sell on figure at a later date.

This lad falls into that category perfectly.

He's not played for Ajax or Barcelona so hes pish type chat is woeful.

hehe correct. Think Reilly looks good from the limited amount i've seen of him (qots v us and gers x 2). Anyone seen much more and have more informed opinions?

Reilly was voted into the SPFL team of the season.

Is he better than Keatings? EN says QoS wanting six figure sum: if we've got that to spend let's get Genaro back.

He's out of contract on 31 May. He was signed from Gretna three years ago so not sure if they are entitled to a development fee or not but if so that is all they will get.

Clerry Jambo

Judging him on the 1v1 against rangers, the boy is awful

If you watch it again the lad has a lovely first touch and the rest is history!!

el_jambo74

He looks like he'd be harder to brush off the ball than Keatings. He can also play the lone striker. We'll be going 4-2-3-1 next season I'd suggest, so perhaps that's the thinking. He's a striker. Keatings more than likely ear marked as one of the 3 in behind (although not a first pick). 

Completely harsh on Reilly - he is 22 and will improve and as already stated - scored more goals than any Hearts player this season

All these doubters - would you have signed Robbo after his form at Newcastle ?

doing a 'torres' :mickey:

(for the avoidance of doubt, my original comment was not serious)

noidletalk81

Completely harsh on Reilly - he is 22 and will improve and as already stated - scored more goals than any Hearts player this season

:spoton:

The White Cockade

boy's not a goalscorer you say

some pish spouted on here

a lot of people think players are great but when they move on "nah they were pish anyway"

and players at other teams pish but suddenly they are great because we sign them

i'm not saying Keatings is a world beater but he is more than good enough for us and

asny neutral would say he is better than Reilly

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Your posts remind me of winston

Funnily enough, I was thinking the other day that one or two former posters might have returned in a new guise.

Yours is a good shout.

Clerry Jambo

Funnily enough, I was thinking the other day that one or two former posters might have returned in a new guise.

Yours is a good shout.

Winston is on P&B

We_are_the_Hearts

a lot of people think players are great but when they move on "nah they were pish anyway"

and players at other teams pish but suddenly they are great because we sign them

i'm not saying Keatings is a world beater but he is more than good enough for us and

Any neutral lol, aye nae bother. Let's get neutrals to pick the squad then. Just base it on form right now and **** age or potential or attributes. Its not a computer game ffs, some folk are clueless

We_are_the_Hearts

Reilly ....not good enough. Simples!

So what's your credentials in the game? What players have you scouted or developed?

Pans Jambo

Can someone start a"James Keatings - Pish or no" thread please?

This one is about Gavin Reilly.......just saying

Keatings puts in good displays. His general play is well below par though; hence why he only held down a place when all our other strikers were injured. He's not more than good enough for us though. He's been told he can leave for free.

As for Reilly. Well, he scored more goals in a far, far worse team, so i'm not sure every neutral would agree with you. You show yourself up by overselling your argument.

Reilly will be on pennies compared to Genaro

johnking123

Reilly will be on ?400 a week maybe. Genaro most likely ?4000-6000 a week. We won't be paying that out again for a long time!

CollyWolly

People will tell you he's not good enough based on the 2-3 times they may have seen him but over the course of the season he has outscored any of our players in the league. He is a good player and if he can make the step up he will be a good addition.

Happy to be proved wrong if someone can be bothered doing the sums but his strike rate ( goals per minute played) wont be close to Sow, Keatings or Zeefuik.

johnking123

Happy to be proved wrong if someone can be bothered doing the sums but his strike rate ( goals per minute played) wont be close to Sow, Keatings or Zeefuik.

He will be in the top league, that's why. Reilly will come good and we will sell him for a good profit. Think he is a better all rounder than keatings.

CollyWolly

He will be in the top league, that's why. Reilly will come good and we will sell him for a good profit. Think he is a better all rounder than keatings.

We need to be improving the first team across the board. Losing Zeefuik and marginalising Keatings and bringing in Reilly makes it weaker as we stand at the moment.

All for him (Reilly) as a development signing, but I wouldn't expect to see much of him next season. Our 3 main strikers will be ahead of him. I expect Keatings to go if we sign Reilly and that's a mistake IMO.

CollyWolly

I meant his strike rate this season, when they were all in the same league.

conorelen_16

Wouldn't mind us signing Reilly to be honest, good player over the last few seasons and looks like a good prospect who can also play in the wings. However I also want Keatings to stay as I think he also has very good potential and has been an important player all season. Too many people are also forgetting that El Hassnaoui is not a striker?

THIRABHESES

I meant his strike rate this season, when they were all in the same league.

Surely  Hearts strikers got more scoring opportunities than those of QOS

Happy to be proved wrong if someone can be bothered doing the sums but his strike rate ( goals per minute played) wont be close to Sow, Keatings or Zeefuik.

See the link I posted above. He is not just a goalscorer he has pace and movement with the ability to link play using his strength. Terrific prospect with a lot of potential. He is well worth giving a chance.

cosanostra

Reilly will be on ?400 a week maybe. Genaro most likely ?4000-6000 a week. We won't be paying that out again for a long time!

My mate plays for a club in the first division and he gets that before bonuses so I'd expect he'll be paid substantially more than that.

Anyway, welcome Gavin if you do sign. I like what I've seen of him. He's young and has lots of potential for development. Hopefully you score many goals for us.

The Comedian

For the avoidance of any doubt.

Unless we get an absolute uncovered diamond e.g. Sow, Big Zee or Ozturk, we are not going to be signing ANY ?6k/week household named strikers etc.

Its been well documented that Hearts approach is to find them experienced but young and with the correct attitude/attributes to allow Hearts to mould him into a better player to allow us to get a decent sell on figure at a later date.

This lad falls into that category perfectly.

You reading a different thread from me? Nobody's expecting a 6k a week striker or a household name.

Ajax and Barcelona?

:cornette:

People are questioning if he's better than what we have. Some think so some not.

I like this signing.

Young, hungry, opportunity to play for a much bigger club and with a far better overall standard of player. Keatings has had his moments without question but as a similar type of signing there are now huge doubts over his ability to become a first team starter. Lest see if Reilly makes a better job of that. I'm positive he will score some goals given the chances but can he be more than that, can he become a 15-20 goal 1st pick in the SPL, only time will tell. Lets hope he is more a Neil McCann type success story at Hearts than a Dennis Wyness!!

There will be a=other players, including at least one other striker to follow and the hope has to be Sow has an injury free season ahead of him.

I still don't get holding it against Keatings whether or not he'll be a starter?

You need a squad and not every player can be top quality or certainly the level of quality we expect to start.

The harsh reality of football is you can't hope to have quality all along the bench matching what's on the park , certainly at spl level.

Keatings and Reilly would be good back up but Sow is undoubtedly the best we have and another is needed of similar ilk.

We are living within our means so the only reason we have to sell someone on is to develop the main stand which could also be done with the backing of a major sponsor.

I agree we will sell on players, probably to create space in the team for emerging talent as much as the cash, but only when we and the player think is right, I hope no more loosing our best players to the ugly sisters mid season ensuring we never challenge.

CollyWolly

I still don't get holding it against Keatings whether or not he'll be a starter?

You need a squad and not every player can be top quality or certainly the level of quality we expect to start.

The harsh reality of football is you can't hope to have quality all along the bench matching what's on the park , certainly at spl level.

Keatings and Reilly would be good back up but Sow is undoubtedly the best we have and another is needed of similar ilk.

Not to mention Carrick and Oliver. Where do they fit in when we are signing young lower league prospects like Reilly ? Carrick especially as he is a semi-proven striker at Premiership level.

CollyWolly

We are living within our means so the only reason we have to sell someone on is to develop the main stand which could also be done with the backing of a major sponsor.

I agree we will sell on players, probably to create space in the team for emerging talent as much as the cash, but only when we and the player think is right, I hope no more loosing our best players to the ugly sisters mid season ensuring we never challenge.

That's not quite the case though is it. The aces are held by the player and if we don't sell when we have the opportunity, even if they haven't reached their peak value, then you end up getting nothing when they let their deal run down. Selling top players at as close to peak value as you can is an essential part of football finance, for any club, not just us, and even if we're selling to rivals we have to look after number 1, which is our own finances.

Keatings puts in good displays. His general play is well below par though; hence why he only held down a place when all our other strikers were injured. He's not more than good enough for us though. He's been told he can leave for free.

As for Reilly. Well, he scored more goals in a far, far worse team, so i'm not sure every neutral would agree with you. You show yourself up by overselling your argument.

He's not the only one overselling his argument. Keatings doesn't have the physicality but I watched him lead the line on a number of occasions with distinction last season.  Intelligent movement, good work rate and some assists too. Towards the turn of the year he missed some chances and he seemed to lose a bit of confidence and wasn't as prominent thereafter.

Teuchterjambo

I like Keatings, but what has he done to be elevated by some into some untouchable cult hero? His desire and workrate can't be faulted. But to me he can be a selfish player opting too often to go alone, and doesn't have the goals to shots ratio to justify this.

If Reilly comes it's because the coaching staff think he can add something.

That about sums him up  ... it seems to some people on here that enthusiasm, a few goals in the championship and being an all round top bloke justifies the cult status you mention. He is a decent championship/lower SPL player and that is about it and we should be aiming higher. I don't know Reilly or whether he is is better or not but it seems that the coaching staff may well think so... I'll go with their judgement.

frank skinner

He was injured and they played him in midfield.

He was also the finished article before he left-hence the move.

All we can say, and many have on this thread, is that Robbie etc see Keats every day.  We don't.

From what I've seen, I'm in the "keep him, I think he's got great potential" camp, but the above outweighs that by a fair distance when you think about it.  Like, actually  think about it rather than just be a wee bitch about everything in the world.

Reilly, not got a clue.  Again, people better than qualified and informed than I are making the decision, so I'll probably go with it.

If he doesn't score 15 by Xmas, I'll bite my ain taw aff wi rage though.

jambomjm74

The lad was selected into the championship team of the season. I would take him and Allan from hibs, they were the best available (loy had signed elsewhere). Keatings is good, how ever Hamilton didn't take him to spl, so probably not good enough although played well for us at times.

hmfc_liam06

Quotes plz

He's not the only one overselling his argument. Keatings doesn't have the physicality but I watched him lead the line on a number of occasions with distinction last season.  Intelligent movement, good work rate and some assists too. Towards the turn of the year he missed some chances and he seemed to lose a bit of confidence and wasn't as prominent thereafter.

You saw him play well several times last year. Me too.

I saw him be ineffectual a dozen times against championship teams with a premiership team behind him. Some folk have huge a huge blind spot when it comes to Keatings - he played 30 odd games last year, he wasn't much to write home about in atleast two thirds of them. His general play is well below par and, i repeat, the fact he could only hold down a place when we had no other fit strikers backs that up.

I'm not overselling my argument at all. I'm giving credit where it's due and pointing out reasons why he didnt get much game time when we had other options and he's been told he can leave if he wants to. He scored a very decent number of goals last season all things considered, but still didnt get much game time once they started to dry up - if he's not scoring, then he's not producing much else. Ergo, his general play is below par.

Archived