Chinese Take-Aways ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Is there any good chinese take- aways in the Edinburgh west

Purchased a chow mein and spring rolls from the Jade House in Wheatfield st

last night and it was awful , the worst i have tried to eat and binned it after

a few mouth-fulls , looked a bit like reheated made with old produce

I am sure Gordon Ramsey would be effin and c ing in that kitchen .

coppercrutch

Mr Lees:

Ferry Road - 0131 315 2608.

Longstone - 0131 443 0153

Sorted.

Nelly Terraces

Mate, The Taste Good on Slateford road is prob the best, I only live 2mins from there and though I find it a bit formuliac and they don't do any specials, the standard of food is faultless really. Their garlic chicken is especially tasty.

Chad Sexington
Mate, The Taste Good on Slateford road is prob the best, I only live 2mins from there and though I find it a bit formuliac and they don't do any specials, the standard of food is faultless really. Their garlic chicken is especially tasty.

I Ching on Slateford road is alright as well. Very fast delivery when I lived round that way.

The roast duck Cantonese style is superb.

:dribble:

Ray Winstone

Loon Fung is amazing - but it is in Leith!

Hui in Murrayfield is good.

SWS in Stenhouse is the best Chinese takeaway in Edinburgh by a country mile.

i can only assume you dont try many , cause in my opinion theyre feckin boakin just like the one at carricknowe

i can only assume you dont try many , cause in my opinion theyre feckin boakin just like the one at carricknowe

You'd be wrong - I have tried many across the city.

Each to their own, though.

You'd be wrong - I have tried many across the city.

Each to their own, though.

that's true , suppose it depends what your getting

The Magic Kitchen in Sighthill is pretty decent been eating out there for a while now and not had one bad meal..... the chocolate fritters are to die for.

that's true , suppose it depends what your getting

...and how long the cat has been lying in the alleyway...

jazzmaster

Hui at Western Corner is good but my current fav is Delicious at D/Mains, always delighted with the food.

Jambo Oscar

We use SWS - lovely food and fast service

;)

The Old Tolbooth
Loon Fung is amazing - but it is in Leith!

Hui in Murrayfield is good.

I'll back you up on that one Tucks, HUI is superb!

Although the Nepalese takeaway Ghurka Spice next door is also superb! :confused:

Craigieboy

After an entire weekend suffering from food poisoning, this thread is making me get my appetite back again. But, I'm **** scared to eat a thing. Just drinking water.

Ivanauskas33
I frequent The Golden Pond in Blackhall.

I like it.

Thats my usual one too.

The curries are not bad at all

Another fave of ours is:

Fortune Court in Chesser

Ill second this 1! chow mein from here is very very good!

Commander Harris

"ping on" in stockaree or "taste good" in slateford. :)

Scooby Doog

Have to agree with Nelly on this one, the Taste Good is excellent.

Also use the Hot Pot just along the road from it which has never let us down either.

Era Macaroons
The Swallow at Juniper Green is pretty decent

your kidding ....its on my guff list

however, ive enjoyed reading this thread....could read it all over again in about 20mins;)

favs ..Taste Good & SWS

Used to use Taste Good, but a victim of their own success i think as their delivery times were eventually erratic (up to two hours sometimes) and I felt that their portions got decidely smaller.

Started using the one on Dalry Road, The New Palace, and was mightily impressed although the last couple I had weren;t as good as their initial high standard.

Not had a Chinese take away for a wee while now.

Im a Taste Good sort of guy but it is a bit samey after a while. Started using the 222 on Bryson Road and there spring rolls are not as good as TG. You get four small littles ones in an old school metal tin. But they are still good... better than the big bag style spring rolls some places do. 222's chow mein was a lot better. You get more surprises like bean sprouts and thye use thicker noodles too. Taste Goods micro noodles are not so good and I have had a number of occasions where they are all dry and clumped together... all crispy like :(

But I dote between the two now. Big shout to TGs Garlic Chick too... Its awesome-o!

BoJack Horseman

New Palace at the top of Inverleith Row is a winner. Their Crispy Shredded Beef is the dugs. Although it's not so crispy. Plus their delivery times are unreal.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Although I like Taste Good, I find that the meals on delivery aren't as good as those that you get when you sit in. Maybe, I'm losing the plot but I think they aren't as good.

I've recently used SWS and HUI after moving to Carrick Knowe and found both to be very good. My girlfriend bought something from the one at Carrick Knowe (next to Spar) but I refused after hearing many stories about the place - I got a chippy from the BBQ instead.

The Ping on at Stockbridge is my favourite though - bloody lovely.

Taste good is O.K. , But 222 on Bryson Road IMO is best around west side of town. The Jade House is..:boak:

Csaba's Broon Shoes
Taste good is O.K. , But 222 on Bryson Road IMO is best around west side of town. The Jade House is..:boak:

Honestly the Jade House is shocking

I do not know how they are in business

They have a good goldfish tank though

robbies-tackle

Been using the Lucky Star on Balgreen Road for nearly 20 years!. The lemon chicken is just perfect and the Special Curry is also highly recommended. We have tried a lot of other local takeaways, including SWS, but always go back to the Lucky Star. I suppose its just a question of personal preference

SWS in Stenhouse Cross. Their schezwan and kung po are good if you like hot dishes.

Mr Lees in Longstone does a pretty good black bean sauce.

Jimmy McNulty
SWS in Stenhouse Cross. Their schezwan and kung po are good if you like hot dishes.

Mr Lees in Longstone does a pretty good black bean sauce.

Try the cream of Sum Yung Guy. :)

For me I go for Phoenix chinese in the Gyle Industrial Estate. Its brill, and delivery for me is only 10/15 mins from ordering

For me I go for Phoenix chinese in the Gyle Industrial Estate. Its brill, and delivery for me is only 10/15 mins from ordering

used to go there for the buffet during the week untill they decided to change it

The Future's Maroon
Taste Good and I Ching are both the mutts nuts (I prefer Taste Good). Forget take away - as sitting in, although a bit dearer, is a lot better. I used to live above Taste Good up until December....cost me and the other half a fortune!!!

NEVER EVER EVER get anything from Delicious China on Dalry Road.

The Future's Maroon

Hot Pot on Slateford Road used to be excellent, but it went downhill for a couple of years....had a drunken munch out of there the other week on the way home from the Mill and it was great (could have been the drink tho)

Ping On is very good too.

There is one at Cannonmills across from the Standard Life building which is really good too - cant remember the name tho?!

Lucky Star at Balgreen - had one once....never again, but may have changed since my bad experience!

The one at Chesser was always a fav on a Thursday lunchtime when I worked in Chesser House.

SWS is alright too, not had one for a while from there tho.

222 - when that first opened the size of portions you got were frightning one dish would do two.....but I think they have cut the sizes now that they have a regular custom (must have just been a ploy to get folk using it)

But honestly, I'd stick to Taste Good or I Ching - you cant go wrong!

God, I'm starving now.....guess what I'm having for tea tonight now!!!

not a fan of chinese because of MSG but where I used to live in Aberdeen there were two decent ones right across the road who both had loads of dishes that were MSG free. Would not have chinese as first choice but don't mind i ching and taste good if pushed.

NEVER EVER EVER get anything from Delicious China on Dalry Road.

I agree - it's terrible. The scabby-looking one along the road towards town is quite good, though.

222 in Polwarth is worth a mention again - it is superb.

Try the cream of Sum Yung Guy. :)

I've heard that dish is a bit salty.:eek:

Denny Crane

I remember years back when visiting family in Comely Bank, there was a very good chinese restaurant/take-away on the corner of Raeburn Place/Portgower Place (not far from Inverleith Park) opposite the excellent Franco's chip-shop. ANyone know what it was called and if it is still there?

Archived