.net (Hello hello)

Tayside Jambo

Craig Herbertson

The context is different but the argument is pretty similar. He basically argued that attempts to censor lyrics were ill founded because we should be free to make a choice.

'The establishment of a rating system, voluntary or otherwise, opens the door to an endless parade of moral quality control programs based on things certain Christians do not like.'

Zappa

My fear is that when you set boundaries on what can be sung it's only the first step in shifting the goal posts later to another restriction.

There's a clear difference in damaging a seat because breaking someone's property is a criminal act. Singing a song is problematic because someone makes a judgement about what is offensive. Next minute you can't sing anything because someone will be offended. The law has now slipped away from previous freedoms and the current generation are in danger of forgetting the principles on which the freedom was based. That's why I broadly agree with you but I still have a genuine fear that in the real world people will use the new subjective attitude about songs to make trouble for the Club.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacDonald Jardine

Poor example then.

Dixie's a fine example. There's a number of fun ditties that use the tune, including "In Frisco Bay there Lived a Whale," but I would never, ever simply whistle or hum the tune in the vicinity of my African-American neighbors, particularly since I live in the former capital of the f---ing confederacy, precisely because of what the tune means.

And I'm not advocating banning anything -- as I said, I'm generally against banning any kind of speech except of the absolute worst kind. My main point in responding is to say that tunes have meaning -- they're more than a string of notes. My take on the "Hullo hullo" tune is that I wish Hearts fans would stop singing anything whatsoever to it because of its horrible history, particularly with any words involving being up to our knees in anyone's blood, but since I can't be there but once every few years I was staying out of that particular debate.

Well quite.

And all of this will affect you im Buttholle, Idaho how exactly?

Geoff Kilpatrick

I broadly agree with you Uly. But I'm reminded of the 1990's in a pub in Belfast with my Irish Catholic girlfriend (who wanted NI to remain in the UK which probably says something about the complexities). I was asked to sing a song so I played the safe bet and started singing Wild Mountain Thyme. Nobody could be offended by a love song with Irish words and a Scottish tune.

I narrowly avoided a kicking.

People make emotional associations with songs and songs are used to inspire or threaten people, Most German folk songs are never sung today because the Nazi's recognised that music could be used to motivate people. Goebbels deliberately changed some of the lyrics to Lilly Marlene and for a time it was even banned. Songs and marches are used when soldiers got to war or when protestors wish to make a point. You can't sing Dixie in the South now. You can't avoid the emotional connotations of music.

I really dislike the trend towards banning freedom of speech which includes singing. It's a sad sign of the times but there is a real danger for Hearts: With The Rangers out currently as a credible opposition, it seems that elements of the press and a minority of Celtic fans who wish to promote their own political agenda are just looking for excuses to tag us as some kind of alternative bogie man. This is so far from the truth it would be laughable if it wasn't a real threat. We're sadlt at the point where I think we have to overstate the case to make sure we are not tainted by these narrow minded people.

Off topic but why were people seething at a song that originates in Belfast? I know McCooeys make Weegies look civilised but :wtf:

Craig Herbertson

Off topic but why were people seething at a song that originates in Belfast? I know McCooeys make Weegies look civilised but :wtf:

Words were written by the McPeake family, Irish Catholics and presumably I was not in a 'Catholic' bar. Just really illustrates the levels of absurdity you can reach. Stupid me just thought it was a good tune with a simple optimistic message about love.

scott herbertson

Words were written by the McPeake family, Irish Catholics and presumably I was not in a 'Catholic' bar. Just really illustrates the levels of absurdity you can reach. Stupid me just thought it was a good tune with a simple optimistic message about love.

The alternative possibility is you were in a catholic pub but sang it so badly they decided to give you a kicking 

Archived