.net (Hello hello)

Tayside Jambo

When I say don't give celtic the chance I mean don't ask them to do a minutes silence.

Not that we shouldn't wear poppies on our strip

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to sing the song too, until I realised what the connotations and associations were.

We have to stop singing it altogether. Whatever the words used, we'll never rid ourselves of the detestable 'mini Huns' tag while it can be heard at Tynie.

Will it?

All that extra exposure the Orcs get on TV relative to us. If they nicked the tune they could easily taint it.

Celtic already hijack Hello Hello with HaHa HaHa ... it hasn't removed the taint of the Billy Boy version

Your point on the Hearts song is hypothetical, I'd say cross that bridge when if we come to it .... we're already at the Billy Boy Bridge. For me stop singing it, I've never sung it, any version.

Franco Fascione

I used to sing the song too, until I realised what the connotations and associations were.

We have to stop singing it altogether. Whatever the words used, we'll never rid ourselves of the detestable 'mini Huns' tag while it can be heard at Tynie.

We do indeed need to rid ourselves of the mini Huns tag. It's a definite minority, however, I think our board need to engage Hearts supporters at shareholders meetings, social functions, FOH or Big Hearts events - any kind of opportunity like this to get the message over that we can be a better community based club than any other and that's something else we could be proud of.

I reckon having Ann Budge in charge of Hearts could be the best thing that happened to Hearts for a very long time, past and present or future. We need to trust her judgement.

We need to move on. In the 70s and 80s in the shed probably most of us sang those party songs. However hopefully we are mature enough to see that such songs are no longer acceptable in modern Scotland.

Left Celtic and Sevco fester in their muck supporting Ireland and Britannia.

Why is it we can't create meaningful, catchy and robust new songs for this current century. We have the history and as shown at the Usher Hall last week several great song writers.

To your quills and banjo's...

I'd like the song stopped for all the reasons put forth on this thread but as fabian rightly points out, it's not going to lead to some sea change of opinion towards our fans. Hibs, Celtic and to a lesser extent the media will still hold the same opinions they do now. Football in general is ignorant and tribal and for as long as you have several thousand pished young men in a confined space there will be examples to further whatever agenda you want to pursue.

Mo of Midlothian

I think we should have an official song book thread on here. The club can then print a song in each program. That way we can encourage the right atmosphere at all our games. Clearly ad-libs on match day should still be encouraged as I personally love the untold wit of my fellow Jambo's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a problem of that there is no doubt, no amount of deflection on other clubs will take that away.

However the problem isn't in the grounds its on public transport and the small towns we've been visiting this season. Twice this season I've been on a train journey one going to QoTS the other coming home from Falkirk where I've felt like I'd been transported back to the 80's. Some of the old songs plus the new additions have no place being associated with our club, some were probably considered in poor taste back in the 80's never mind 2014! In pubs at both Falkirk (not sure what attracted the bams to that game) and pre match at the Raith game the behaviour of the fans was out of order, actually embarrassing. And this was not just young lads - I'd give the age range about 25 to 55!

I have a real aversion to this particular debate, as I have to any of those debates about cultural touchstones, markers and reference points that are so important in Scotland.

But I feel I have to make one point in relation to this topic - and I may as well do that now before the thread follows the normal pattern of these debates and gets closed. :ninja:

Some contributors to this thread are proposing to ban a tune from Tynecastle - not a set of words, but a sequence of musical notes. Put simply, that proposition is so far wrong that it beggars belief.

Sorry, but the mega Rangers thread on JKB proves beyond any possible doubt that we are the mini huns.  Singing Hello Hello at Easter Road just confirms it.

It's a huge disappointment to me but it's an unescapable fact.

Just have to live with it.  Very much weakens our position when dealing with Celtic and accusations of hypocrisy will hit a big target.

Very much regret that's the way I see it.

Sorry, but the mega Rangers thread on JKB proves beyond any possible doubt that we are the mini huns.  Singing Hello Hello at Easter Road just confirms it.

Just have to live with it.  Very much weakens our position when dealing with Celtic and accusations of hypocrisy will hit a big target.

Don't tar us all with your comments.........I object strongly to your  'we are the mini huns'  nonsense so don't try to speak for me or many of my friends.

It's far from an 'uescapable fact'.........comments like that are simply made to inflame not educate and you should think carefully about that in future.

No it doesn't - that vast majority of posts in that thread are anit-hun

I have a real aversion to this particular debate, as I have to any of those debates about cultural touchstones, markers and reference points that are so important in Scotland.

But I feel I have to make one point in relation to this topic - and I may as well do that now before the thread follows the normal pattern of these debates and gets closed. :ninja:

Some contributors to this thread are proposing to ban a tune from Tynecastle - not a set of words, but a sequence of musical notes. Put simply, that proposition is so far wrong that it beggars belief.

is it really that complicated, are hearts fans that stupid/imature that we cant refrain from singing ONE piddling wee song that bares no relevance in this day and age. millions upon millions of songs to sing, none of which will get the club we claim to love and adore into trouble are available FREE to sing.

i remember all the troubles, lost a couple of mates over there, the people of ireland(N +S) dont go on n on n on about it as much as us who had little dirct contact with the reasons, i'll bet the majority singing it have little idea what it was about. if winding up the celtic fans with this song is more important than hearts then we should just call time and stay at home

This sectarian thing btw, does it even exist outside of football? I've never seen or heard any aspect of it outside of club rivalry.

I could nieve but If a hibs/celtic fan or player died I think we'd respect a minutes silence. And I think they'd (for the most part) do the same.

Poppies and royals and religious figures are contentious subjects for some. Keep them out of football or expect some boos.

I'm proud of our sacrifice in ww1 and think we should celebrate it but you know celtic are going to boo etc so don't give them the opportunity. It's politics rather than religion.

Club rivalry is natural and to me enjoyable in the right outlets. I think the religious thing is overplayed. I don't like rangers or celtic. I prefer hibs to either.

It's based on the fans, the bias and fact hibs are a source of joy and many points.

Never see folk outside churches singing these songs

I broadly agree with your view on this. However I would like to suggest a wee test for the Mhanky Mhob when next we are graced with their company. If its live on National TV, hang two huge poppies at each end of the Roseburn stand, then stand back & watch them revert to type in spectacular fashion on national television. They could never restrain themselves enough to avoid the rest of the UK finally seeing them for the hypocritical scum they are. 

If hibs.net are taking some sort of moral high ground over hello hello then forgive me for taking it with a gigantic ****ing pinch of salt considering the whole Roseburn delight in singing the song about Wallace Mercer.

Vermin.

Clonlara Erin

I broadly agree with your view on this. However I would like to suggest a wee test for the Mhanky Mhob when next we are graced with their company. If its live on National TV, hang two huge poppies at each end of the Roseburn stand, then stand back & watch them revert to type in spectacular fashion on national television. They could never restrain themselves enough to avoid the rest of the UK finally seeing them for the hypocritical scum they are. 

Some things go above and beyond point scoring.

I'm glad I don't know the words of the Hello Hello song. I honestly thought it was more a gang like song ie YGT or YNT, We are The Gorgie Boys meaning mess with us and you'll get trouble. Ignorance is bliss sometimes!!

Some things go above and beyond point scoring.

Not point scoring if they behave themselves is it? If they don't, well I'd class it as a Celtic own goal, albeit an engineered one.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Glad someone noticed!

Clonlara Erin

Not point scoring if they behave themselves is it? If they don't, well I'd class it as a Celtic own goal, albeit an engineered one.

It's attempting to point score and would be crass in the extreme.

Thankfully as a football club we are above this.

Seymour M Hersh

You've written some utter pish but this probably takes the biscuit.

Beggar away Uly. That tune is associated to that song & religous bigotry & has been for decades ergo it should be given a miss at Tynecastle. Cant see how it can be barred but it should be booed into silence every time its heard on our terraces.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Beggar away Uly. That tune is associated to that song & religous bigotry & has been for decades ergo it should be given a miss at Tynecastle. Cant see how it can be barred but it should be booed into silence every time its heard on our terraces.

If someone was whistling it walking into the ground you would expect them to be chucked out?

:laugh:

i wish jj was my dad

The clowns who still spout this billy boy crap are doing the club a great deal of harm and are undermining everything Ann's statement is trying to achieve.  

I cringe at some of my behaviour 25-30 years ago and it pains me that it still goes on albeit by a tiny minority today

You can repeat that formula all you like, and maybe you can even convince yourself it's true. But you can't convince me. I am an Irish person, an Irish speaker and an Irish nationalist, and I'm telling you that you are not within screaming distance of making a convincing and logical argument as to why a sequence of musical notes should be banned or shunned.

It is not enough for you - or anyone else, I'm not just picking on your post - to say a tune is bad because they think so and they say so. That's illiberal, anti-intellectual, illogical and intolerant. You have to be able to say what damage that sequence of musical notes does that makes it so harmful that it should be silenced. And you can't. You know you can't.

You can repeat that formula all you like, and maybe you can even convince yourself it's true. But you can't convince me. I am an Irish person, an Irish speaker and an Irish nationalist, and I'm telling you that you are not within screaming distance of making a convincing and logical argument as to why a sequence of musical notes should be banned or shunned.

It is not enough for you - or anyone else, I'm not just picking on your post - to say a tune is bad because they think so and they say so. That's illiberal, anti-intellectual, illogical and intolerant. You have to be able to say what damage that sequence of musical notes does that makes it so harmful that it should be silenced. And you can't. You know you can't.

You are right I cant say what damage the notes does but you have to admit that it is associated to the "hullo hullo, we are the billy boys" song and in my opinion should not be welcome at Tynecastle due to is bigotted association. I appreciate that it would be difficult near impossible to police this however; no reason the supporters themselves have to put up with it when its heard (which is few & far between these days thank god).

If someone was whistling it walking into the ground you would expect them to be chucked out?

Naw

:laugh:

Interesting stuff Uly. Are you specifically referring to that tune or the idea that a tune - any tune - can not be bad?

.....you have to admit that it is associated to the "hullo hullo, we are the billy boys" song....

No, I don't. You have to make a convincing argument, and repeating your dislike for a piece of music doesn't do that.

Unless you can explain what is wrong with a sequence of musical notes, all you are doing is trying to ban or silence a tune because you don't like it. I repeat, it's a sequence of musical notes, no more and no less.

If you want to get into a more logical space and criticise some of the lyrics, that's understandable - but your position regarding the piece of music is wrong for all the reasons I've set out already.

Interesting stuff Uly. Are you specifically referring to that tune or the idea that a tune - any tune - can not be bad?

Neither. If a persuasive argument can be made that a particular sequence of musical notes should be silenced, then let that happen. But that argument has to be rooted in the damage that the piece of music does, and not the personal prejudices of people who take a dislike to the piece of music.

It's attempting to point score and would be crass in the extreme.

Thankfully as a football club we are above this.

I'd prefer to look upon it as a test of character, either they behave as decent human beings....or they fail. Lets face it, we all know they will fail...every time. By way of balance, some of the cretins within our own support have probably been expelled from The Bears Den on grounds of bigotry, & no matter how often they are persuaded to alter their ways, we know they cant & wont!

J.T.F.Robertson

Don't tar us all with your comments.........I object strongly to your  'we are the mini huns'  nonsense so don't try to speak for me or many of my friends.

It's far from an 'uescapable fact'.........comments like that are simply made to inflame not educate and you should think carefully about that in future.

No it doesn't - that vast majority of posts in that thread are anit-hun

You've written some utter pish but this probably takes the biscuit.

I'll be surprised if KD isn't indulging his mastery of facetiousness.

Rupert Pupkin

Good job you never bought the song from the club shop in the 90s then. The late Tom Wilson had a dance version of Hello Hello on it!

A Tom Wilson remix of anything is a good enough reason for me to have a tune scrapped.

No, I don't. You have to make a convincing argument, and repeating your dislike for a piece of music doesn't do that.

Unless you can explain what is wrong with a sequence of musical notes, all you are doing is trying to ban or silence a tune because you don't like it. I repeat, it's a sequence of musical notes, no more and no less.

If you want to get into a more logical space and criticise some of the lyrics, that's understandable - but your position regarding the piece of music is wrong for all the reasons I've set out already.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I have heard this song (& the tune) at Tynecastle since the early 80's & I know what it stands for.

I have heard this song (& the tune) at Tynecastle since the early 80's & I know what it stands for.

You have an opinion about what it stands for, but so what?

People booed the Liechtenstein national anthem at Hampden back in 2010.  They were wrong, full stop.

If music could be silenced just because of the prejudiced dislike of some people, we'd have successfully eradicated Beyonc?, Mark Knopfler, half the rap canon and the more gratuitous and self-indulgent horseshite in the back catalogues of Neil Young and Bob Dylan - but we've not managed that, have we?   ;)

You can't say what's wrong with the sequence of notes, so all you're doing is making yourself sound like one of those fundamentalist zealots. 

Son Of Anarchy

I used to sing it. I grew up. Now I don't want to sing it because it will hurt my club. Sing "marching through gorgie" if you must but why not make some new songs to sing with gusto? Or, radical as it may be, all verses of the Hearts song loud and proud?

Malinga the Swinga

People booed the Liechtenstein national anthem at Hampden back in 2010.  They were wrong, full stop.

If music could be silenced just because of the prejudiced dislike of some people, we'd have successfully eradicated Beyonc?, Mark Knopfler, half the rap canon and the more gratuitous and self-indulgent horseshite in the back catalogues of Neil Young and Bob Dylan - but we've not managed that, have we?   ;)

You can't say what's wrong with the sequence of notes, so all you're doing is making yourself sound like one of those fundamentalist zealots.

Personally, I like Beyonc? although I do agree that Mark Knopfler should be eradicated from all memory. You should definitely take it back about Neil Young as he is one of my favourites.

People booed the Liechtenstein national anthem at Hampden back in 2010. They were wrong, full stop.

If music could be silenced just because of the prejudiced dislike of some people, we'd have successfully eradicated Beyonc?, Mark Knopfler, half the rap canon and the more gratuitous and self-indulgent horseshite in the back catalogues of Neil Young and Bob Dylan - but we've not managed that, have we? ;)

Hardly a fundamentalist. Not talking about music. Talking about a well know tune sung by misaligned knuckle draggers. You can make comparisons like Dylan etc but the reference isnt really relevant on Tynecastke terraces when Hibs & Celtic are visiting. Not singing THAT song but humming the tune would still have the same effect at a game.

My opinion is that the title is deserved and I outlined two reasons why.  Your opinion differs.  I am inflamed by the actions of a minority of our support and I am answering back.

Doing nothing has led us to where we are today.

Delighted AB has taken a stand and hope she follows through with it in relation to our support and to Celtic.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

As glad as I am that Ann Budge has taken her stance, it is surely worth pointing out that the problems we used to have as a club in terms of this were huge, but we have brought it to a peep. Celtic on the other hand? Have they eradicated any terrorist supporting songs? Can they claim to be better than they were in the 70s?

We are being rounded upon by folk with vested interests, and we are being painted in the same light as the vermin supporters of Celtic and Rangers, all because our owner spoke out against their behaviour in our stadium. That is pathetic enough, but when you take in to account the very real improvements at our club in the last 40+ years, and the fact they have not changed a bit... then it not only shows the media arseholes like Nicholas up in a bad light, but it also shows up the deranged Hibs supporters who have sided with their "big cousins".

It is clear for all to see, in the two official statements, which club is focused on improving their off field fan behaviour, and which club would rather just deflect any blame, and carry on with the status quo.

Anyone who reads the two official club statements and decides that HMFC are the ones who need rethink their position, is clearly either part of the problem, or so twisted by bitterness and hatred, they are incapable of thinking clearly.

Geoff Kilpatrick

As glad as I am that Ann Budge has taken her stance, it is surely worth pointing out that the problems we used to have as a club in terms of this were huge, but we have brought it to a peep. Celtic on the other hand? Have they eradicated any terrorist supporting songs? Can they claim to be better than they were in the 70s?

We are being rounded upon by folk with vested interests, and we are being painted in the same light as the vermin supporters of Celtic and Rangers, all because our owner spoke out against their behaviour in our stadium. That is pathetic enough, but when you take in to account the very real improvements at our club in the last 40+ years, and the fact they have not changed a bit... then it not only shows the media arseholes like Nicholas up in a bad light, but it also shows up the deranged Hibs supporters who have sided with their "big cousins".

It is clear for all to see, in the two official statements, which club is focused on improving their off field fan behaviour, and which club would rather just deflect any blame, and carry on with the status quo.

Anyone who reads the two official club statements and decides that HMFC are the ones who need rethink their position, is clearly either part of the problem, or so twisted by bitterness and hatred, they are incapable of thinking clearly.

:spoton:

As time goes on I've become meh about Hullo Hullo.

However, I'm laughing my ****** off at the idea a tune is bigoted. 

If someone would care to post that Simpsons "Won't someone think of the children" picture that would be grand.

Hardly a fundamentalist. Not talking about music. Talking about a well know tune sung by misaligned knuckle draggers. You can make comparisons like Dylan etc but the reference isnt really relevant on Tynecastke terraces when Hibs & Celtic are visiting. Not singing THAT song but humming the tune would still have the same effect at a game.

You can't say what's wrong with the sequence of notes. Therefore all you are doing is feeding your own prejudice and insisting that everyone has to be intolerant just because you are - and that alone is good enough reason to argue against your point.  We should never allow the zealots and the fundamentalists to squeeze out the moderates.

Tayside Jambo

Didn't realise that asking if .net was in lockdown would revert to the age old debate about 'hullo hullo'

Anyway, Uly, I agree that a sequence of notes in itself cannot be classed as sectarian, however when you hear that tune, what is the first thing that you honestly think of?

The fact that Celtic "sing" that tune itself, albeit more chanting haha, shows how the tune itself is intertwined with being sectarian.

Anyway, Uly, I agree that a sequence of notes in itself cannot be classed as sectarian, however when you hear that tune, what is the first thing that you honestly think of?

No, a sequence of notes can't be classed by sectarian, except by those who would force their intolerance on others.  Words, however, are a different matter.

Because of where I live, most of the time I get to hear that tune is when I hum it or whistle it to myself.  And whatever I think, the thought isn't a sectarian thought.  It's a brilliant tune, and it is at its best when belted out fully and with no hesitation by a big crowd at a rocking Tynecastle.

And that's the great pity.  The tune, despite what the zealots would have us believe, is not the problem. It's the words.  So what happens when it gets sung?  Everyone starts out at full blast, but then it descends into gibberish and nonsense as everyone ducks for cover when they realise that the next bit is the "erm, umm, mumble bumble fumble crumble" bit.

Farcical.

Geoff Kilpatrick

No, a sequence of notes can't be classed by sectarian, except by those who would force their intolerance on others. Words, however, are a different matter.

Because of where I live, most of the time I get to hear that tune is when I hum it or whistle it to myself. And whatever I think, the thought isn't a sectarian thought. It's a brilliant tune, and it is at its best when belted out fully and with no hesitation by a big crowd at a rocking Tynecastle.

And that's the great pity. The tune, despite what the zealots would have us believe, is not the problem. It's the words. So what happens when it gets sung? Everyone starts out at full blast, but then it descends into gibberish and nonsense as everyone ducks for cover when they realise that the next bit is the "erm, umm, mumble bumble fumble crumble" bit.

Farcical.

Correct

J.T.F.Robertson

My opinion is that the title is deserved and I outlined two reasons why.  Your opinion differs.  I am inflamed by the actions of a minority of our support and I am answering back.

Doing nothing has led us to where we are today.

Delighted AB has taken a stand and hope she follows through with it in relation to our support and to Celtic.

And here's me thinking you were kiddin', how naive is that?

Apologies to the guys I quoted, it's me having the "whoosh".

And here's me thinking you were kiddin', how naive is that?

Apologies to the guys I quoted, it's me having the "whoosh".

Whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh-whoosh

Whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh-whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh-whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh

Well **** me sideways - it is the tune.  :eek:  :laugh: