.net (Hello hello)

Tayside Jambo

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought I would say this about the inbred hoards on .net but after reading most of their thread on Queen Budges' statement on Wednesday.  Granted, the vast majority of the posts are bitter pish from them but I think they may have a good point regarding the singing of a particular song by a good proportion of our support.  

I refer, of course, to Hullo, Hullo (or whatever its actual name is).  We are not mini huns, diet huns or any other version of them.  WE ARE HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN!!!!  Why do we sing a song that the entire country identifies with them and their vile values!!!!!

For years I have cringed whenever I have heard this sung by our supporters at home or away.  It does not matter what words are actually being sung, the tune is universally seen as tied to sectarian values and I wish we would stamp it out completely.  It is a vile song and I cannot understand why some in our support sing it, it has NOTHING to do with Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

The statement was a great start on stamping out sectarianism at HMFC but we, as supporters, also need to do our part.

Oh, and any argument saying 'we sing it in retaliation for the rebel songs and other sectarian garbage sung by Celtic' or 'we sing it to the Hobbits to wind them up'  is utter horseshit.  If we want to take the moral high ground and help lead Scottish football out of this blight then we really need to sort out our own house.

To end this rant I will make this admission, I sang this song in my younger years but I grew up and realised just how offensive it is.  It's time our supporters that still sing it do the same.

To say a 'good proportion' of our support sing this is just nonsense.

Really?  Can be heard quite clearly here at the last derby? 

And that was picked up on a phone!!  How can you say it was not a good proportion of the fans.  I didn't say everybody, I didn't even say most or majority, but the noise here is still significant.

Two page thread lock?

Why a lock Geoff?  is this not a debate that needs to be held by our fans?  As long as the tread doesn't decend into mud slinging.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Why a lock Geoff? is this not a debate that needs to be held by our fans? As long as the tread doesn't decend into mud slinging.

Because it is one of the oldest debates on Kickback and its past forms and it always ends up in tears.

Personally, the song would never be an issue if a version similar to English clubs was sung.

Because it is one of the oldest debates on Kickback and its past forms and it always ends up in tears.

Personally, the song would never be an issue if a version similar to English clubs was sung.

Like I said though Geoff, it's the tune that's seen as linked to sectarian views, it doesn't matter what words are sung.  It doesn't matter if we change 'Billy boys' to 'Gorgie boys' or 'Fenian blood to 'hibee blood' the fact that we sing the tune is getting us tarred with the same brush as those morons from the West.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Like I said though Geoff, it's the tune that's seen as linked to sectarian views, it doesn't matter what words are sung. It doesn't matter if we change 'Billy boys' to 'Gorgie boys' or 'Fenian blood to 'hibee blood' the fact that we sing the tune is getting us tarred with the same brush as those morons from the West.

Can you read my post properly? For example, Man Utd sing Hello Hello We are the Busby Boys.

The last two lines are And if you are a City fan, surrender or you'll die. We all follow United.

So if Hearts fans sung a similar version there shouldn't be any issue.

Like I said though Geoff, it's the tune that's seen as linked to sectarian views, it doesn't matter what words are sung.  It doesn't matter if we change 'Billy boys' to 'Gorgie boys' or 'Fenian blood to 'hibee blood' the fact that we sing the tune is getting us tarred with the same brush as those morons from the West.

Like Geoff said some English clubs have OK versions and I think Kilmarnock do as well?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Like Geoff said some English clubs have OK versions and I think Kilmarnock do as well?

Killie wade in Ayr blood apparently, which is daft but not bigoted.

Good post.

Regardless of what most people sing, we know there is still a minority who sing the offensive version and this is what any opponent identifies with when they hear it. I don't want anything from our proud club associated with Rangers, regardless of how much of a percentage of our fans it is.

It's why I like Since I Was Young. It's not the most imaginative of songs, and we did nick it from Motherwell, from what I've heard, but Hullo Hullo has been sung a lot less since we incorporated it into our usual playlist.

Killie wade in Ayr blood apparently, which is daft but not bigoted.

Kilmarnock are also sneered at by a lot people in Scottish football for being Rangers fans without the bus fare. Sound familiar?

Think Dundee United is your best example since they obviously have catholic roots.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Kilmarnock are also sneered at by a lot people in Scottish football for being Rangers fans without the bus fare. Sound familiar?

Think Dundee United is your best example since they obviously have catholic roots.

Either way, wading in anyone's blood sounds stupid.

Voice of reason

I totally agree with the OP on this one. There is no point trying to change the lyrics to something more acceptable to keep the tune. That will always lead to certain people singing the traditional lyrics. Let's just stop it. We have probably the most forward thinking owner in Scotland at the moment but she needs the full backing of the fans to make change happen.

Another Robbo

I totally agree with the OP on this one. There is no point trying to change the lyrics to something more acceptable to keep the tune. That will always lead to certain people singing the traditional lyrics. Let's just stop it. We have probably the most forward thinking owner in Scotland at the moment but she needs the full backing of the fans to make change happen.

This. Get rid of the song then there is no doubt as to what is or should be sung. It's not like we don't have lots of others to choose from.

We would get peeved hearing all the 'rebel' songs etc from Celtic even if you can't clearly tell if lyrics have been changed. We should not do the same.

Seymour M Hersh

I have to say, while I'm not suggesting it wasn't sung by some on Sunday, I did not hear it being sung in the ground (main stand south). That has to be a first step in the right direction.

Get rid of hullo hullo, stupid song even though I sung it as recently as last season. ( the hibbie blood version. ) we need to move forward now.

Geoff Kilpatrick

So if a tune itself is bigoted, should we get rid of the Hearts Song too since the tune of the chorus is the same as The Old Orange Flute?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It's uncomfortable to accept, but we have a problem.

Ann Budge's statement has been met with almost universal agreement and backing on here when it comes to the Celtic content. It will be ultimately pointless however, if we do not address our own problems. Thankfully however, I think Budge will be good to her word and not shy away from this.

The Hibs.net thread is a disgrace though, the OP is frankly well off the mark there. They are 90% backing Celtic and employing a similar stance of whataboutery to them, posting this video and others as evidence of Budge needing to "get her own house in order"... completely ignoring the fact that that is exactly what she has promised to do. Throughout their thread, the three or four voices of reason are shouted down by around ten or so extremely bitter arseholes, led by what can only be described as five star General of bitterness; 'Silver Hibee'. He has posted the above video along with the dickhead doing the Nazi salute (was he banned?) and a few others, also claiming the guy who fell over the gate was attempting to attack a Celtic player, despite a thread on the same page of the forum laughing at a video of the guy for "diving", clearly showing he was guilty of no such thing. This is of course all seized upon by the rest of the obtuse cockwombles who all ignore Ann's criticism of our own fans, and point the finger at us, while decidedly painting themselves in their squeaky clean self image fantasy... No mention of their racism, songs about cancer and the like. Yams rip up seats likesay, we dinnae... wait? What photo?

That Hibs.net thread is a golden example of why a campaign to rid ourselves of this stuff will probably never work. As soon as anyone makes a stand against it, the rivals of that club use it as an excuse to attack, stopping it getting off the ground. Hibs.net has a few threads on its front pages just now revelling in Celtic beating us, and they seem to he treating it like a Hibs victory. They are so blinded by bitterness at the way we have savagely dominated them on the park, they have resorted to adopting a big/little cousins relationship with Celtic to comfort themselves. This comfort blanket has extended to off-field matters, and they now seem happy to back the horrendous stance of a rancid club like Celtic, rather than take the opportunity to try and clean up the filth element that is inherent at the core of Scottish Football.

Best bet for this to be successful is for Ann to make inroads in to tackling our bigots as strongly as she says she will, and then hopefully support will arrive from other clubs when we tackle Celtics'. Then once everyone else stands by what we are doing, it won't be as difficult for the dafties over the road to see its for the benefit of all.

All this however is in our own hands, and it will die a very public and embarrassing death, if we **** it up by singing hullo hullo etc.

Really?  Can be heard quite clearly here at the last derby? 

And that was picked up on a phone!!  How can you say it was not a good proportion of the fans.  I didn't say everybody, I didn't even say most or majority, but the noise here is still significant.

You're spending to much time on wenearlywon.net. The song at some point will die out , but I think its a few years away. The support at fester road in my mind is made up of a good porportion of our die hard fans as well.

Hearts Heritage

So if a tune itself is bigoted, should we get rid of the Hearts Song too since the tune of the chorus is the same as The Old Orange Flute?

The association of that tune is. Just ban it. Nobody sings 'The Sash' or 'Derry's Walls' anymore.

Nobody associates the 'Hearts Song' with any other words. I've no idea what an Old Orange Flute is.

Hearts Heritage

You're spending to much time on wenearlywon.net. The song at some point will die out , but I think its a few years away. The support at fester road in my mind is made up of a good proportion of our die hard fans as well.

Ban them if they refuse to stop singing it. Clear and simple message.

Ban them if they refuse to stop singing it. Clear and simple message.

Agree , but we might see season tickets drop by a few thousand

Geoff Kilpatrick

The association of that tune is. Just ban it. Nobody sings 'The Sash' or 'Derry's Walls' anymore.

Nobody associates the 'Hearts Song' with any other words. I've no idea what an Old Orange Flute is.

Missing the point. If someone "hijacked" one of our tunes for a nefarious song would we stop singing our song?

Hearts Heritage

Agree , but we might see season tickets drop by a few thousand

Really??

I'm not going to go and watch the team I support because I can't sing a sectarian song,

tartofmidlothian

If this thread is getting locked I'll take the chance to say :spoton: now. Not the agreeing with Hibs bitterness, but everything else.

Good post too, Charlie.

Does anyone ever hear the Edinburgh song these days, out of interest?

Geoff Kilpatrick

If this thread is getting locked I'll take the chance to say :spoton: now. Not the agreeing with Hibs bitterness, but everything else.

Good post too, Charlie.

Does anyone ever heard the Edinburgh song these days, out of interest?

Funnily enough, oh when the Hearts go marching in is, er, the same tune!

Really??

I'm not going to go and watch the team I support because I can't sing a sectarian song,

Totally , you have banned them.

Hearts Heritage

Missing the point. If someone "hijacked" one of our tunes for a nefarious song would we stop singing our song?

EH?

Not at all. The 'Billy Boys' tune will always be associated with the 'Billy Boys' song IF sung by Hearts fans regardless of the 'lyrics'.

IF some chose to 'hijack' the Hearts song say , It would not be associated with and 'new' set of lyrics.

I would have said there's been a marked decline in the singing of the hello song. It used to be every week and now seems to be a counter-point to specific teams in the away end. I doubt it'll be sung tomorrow.

Hearts Heritage

Totally , you have banned them.

You don't ban thousands at the start. You ban 1 or 2 the others get the message.

You don't ban thousands at the start. You ban 1 or 2 the others get the message.

Along with some fan pressure as well

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Good post too, Charlie.

Does anyone ever hear the Edinburgh song these days, out of interest?

You still hear the Edinburgh song outside grounds and at train stations etc. It's still prevalent with the arsehole element at Hearts and Hibs. Some Hibs fans were complaining about their Ned element singing it outside Hampden on 19 May, and it's definitely still sung by our arseholes too, thankfully not in the grounds though.

Geoff Kilpatrick

EH?

Not at all. The 'Billy Boys' tune will always be associated with the 'Billy Boys' song IF sung by Hearts fans regardless of the 'lyrics'.

IF some chose to 'hijack' the Hearts song say , It would not be associated with and 'new' set of lyrics.

Right, so basically what you are saying is that Hearts cannot use a particular tune due to past connotations.

So that means, hypothetically, that if someone suggested the first two lines were turned into (and this is an example only)

H M, F C

They are the team for me

We still couldn't use it in your view?

The tune from the Hearts song is based on the Hippopotamus Song, an earlier music hall number by Flanders and Swann. Coincidentally, this song was made popular by the famous bass baritone Ian Wallace - who was a Hearts fan.

Can you read my post properly? For example, Man Utd sing Hello Hello We are the Busby Boys.

The last two lines are And if you are a City fan, surrender or you'll die. We all follow United.

So if Hearts fans sung a similar version there shouldn't be any issue.

Spot on

You still hear the Edinburgh song outside grounds and at train stations etc. It's still prevalent with the arsehole element at Hearts and Hibs. Some Hibs fans were complaining about their Ned element singing it outside Hampden on 19 May, and it's definitely still sung by our arseholes too, thankfully not in the grounds though.

It was at Millwall

I wouldn't be surprised if Easter Road was it's last hurrah. This week's events will have sped things up, but we have been heading in the right direction in my opinion. We'll only know what impact the Statement has made after the next few visits to Easter Road or when Celtic come to us, although it's feels like a landmark moment to me.

Facetious or devils advocate because I know you're not stupid?

It's grand that a version of Hello, hello is sung in England but this is about the implied connotation of a song and what it represents in Scotland. It has been used as a vehicle for agressive subjucation, perhaps not by everyone but that is what it represents. Symbols have different meanings in different places - but you know this already.

Do away with any confusion and just put Hello, hello to bed. The notion (and actuality) it needs to be sung in retaliation to some archaic Celtic ditties is no longer a viable excuse.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

It was at Millwall

Forgot about that. So one friendly aside, it is only sung outside the grounds now. Never heard it sung in a stadium since the nineties personally. I wasn't at Millwall.

Listen to the Hearts songs CD( one with Stephane Adam on the front) the hello hello song is in there but substituted with Hooray Hooray(that'll suit the private school fans ;)).

As is being pointed out, do we stop singing the Hearts Song which tune is used in bigoted versions by other clubs?

Again, all this fuss can be taken too far. Hit the main problems of vandalism, blatant sectarianism and actions that go with it.

The behaviour of people on a personal level should be tackled more than the singing of a song

with more civil lyrics , despite the original nature of the song.

AlphonseCapone

Either way, wading in anyone's blood sounds stupid.

Sorry Geoff but telling City fans to surrender or die is as equally stupid.

stirlingshirejambo

They must be so proud at .net

Buyhibs held an open forum .net users and all other fans interested in their proposals to have a fan led initiative to buy the club as well as q and a session.

They booked sunnyside hibs supporters club promoted it via social medie and .net and on the radio.

response was magnificent ...a total of 8 yes 8 fans turned up for this prestigious

event

apathy rules down at Easter road

Archived