Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh-whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh

Well **** me sideways - it is the tune.  :eek:  :laugh:

Diet type post, IMO

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times have Celtic and Hibs minded acquaintances accused us of being "up to our knees in fenian blood" after a recent match?  No matter how many times we say that's not what was being sung. If they can't hear the exact lyric, all they hear is the tune and assume it's the 'sectarian' line that is being sung.

Uly,  you ask what is wrong with the sequence of notes. Well, when the lyric is hard to hear, all that is left is that sequence of notes. And, as has been noted above, in the context of Scottish football, that  sequence of notes has a 'reputation' - mainly due to the fact that most of the time that tune is sung, it is accompanied by sectarian lyrics (I'm talking whole of Scottish football here).

So .... if it is not clearly audible, that a 'non-sectarian' song is being sung, all that is heard is the tune and the natural assumption by people on TV or in other parts of the ground is that we are a bunch of knuckle-draggers singing that sectarian song about being "up to our knees in fenian blood".

So in a way, I don't really care if we are singing the 'naughty' version or not. If it sounds like we are, then that's bad enough for me. I care more about our own reputation than anything else.

Uly,  you ask what is wrong with the sequence of notes. Well, when the lyric is hard to hear, all that is left is that sequence of notes. And, as has been noted above, in the context of Scottish football, that  sequence of notes has a 'reputation' - mainly due to the fact that most of the time that tune is sung, it is accompanied by sectarian lyrics (I'm talking whole of Scottish football here).

And I'm asking so what?  I can understand why the lyrics would be a concern, but not the note sequence.  Are you suggesting we should ban a piece of music because some people are so uncoordinated when singing a song that we can't exactly work out what they're saying?  Seriously?

J.T.F.Robertson

Whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh-whoosh

Whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh

Whoosh whoosh whoosh

Well **** me sideways - it is the tune.  :eek:  :laugh:

Lyrically inspirational tho'. :2thumbsup:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

this song (the sectarian version) used to be sung inside the ground most weeks back in the day against any random opponent.

i agree with zero tolerance but in an attempt to measure progress how many times and where has it been heard inside the ground in the past couple of years. I'll start :

Hibs away this season as depicted in the video ?

any other instances?

And I'm asking so what? I can understand why the lyrics would be a concern, but not the note sequence. Are you suggesting we should ban a piece of music because some people are so uncoordinated when singing a song that we can't exactly work out what they're saying? Seriously?

If I walked in to Tynecastle humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic, which is what those notes will always mean in my head, I'm quite sure that other Hearts fans would have very little interest in my objection that I wasn't meaning to hum GGTTH. Tunes have meanings when they're associated with words.

I'm generally against banning things unless absolutely necessary, but saying tunes don't have meaning without words strikes me as being willfully dense.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Unsurprisingly, Ugly American is unaware of "Glory, glory what a hell of a way to die".

Clue: "To die a hibby barsteward"

steviebaggio98

It's uncomfortable to accept, but we have a problem.

Ann Budge's statement has been met with almost universal agreement and backing on here when it comes to the Celtic content. It will be ultimately pointless however, if we do not address our own problems. Thankfully however, I think Budge will be good to her word and not shy away from this.

The Hibs.net thread is a disgrace though, the OP is frankly well off the mark there. They are 90% backing Celtic and employing a similar stance of whataboutery to them, posting this video and others as evidence of Budge needing to "get her own house in order"... completely ignoring the fact that that is exactly what she has promised to do. Throughout their thread, the three or four voices of reason are shouted down by around ten or so extremely bitter arseholes, led by what can only be described as five star General of bitterness; 'Silver Hibee'. He has posted the above video along with the dickhead doing the Nazi salute (was he banned?) and a few others, also claiming the guy who fell over the gate was attempting to attack a Celtic player, despite a thread on the same page of the forum laughing at a video of the guy for "diving", clearly showing he was guilty of no such thing. This is of course all seized upon by the rest of the obtuse cockwombles who all ignore Ann's criticism of our own fans, and point the finger at us, while decidedly painting themselves in their squeaky clean self image fantasy... No mention of their racism, songs about cancer and the like. Yams rip up seats likesay, we dinnae... wait? What photo?

That Hibs.net thread is a golden example of why a campaign to rid ourselves of this stuff will probably never work. As soon as anyone makes a stand against it, the rivals of that club use it as an excuse to attack, stopping it getting off the ground. Hibs.net has a few threads on its front pages just now revelling in Celtic beating us, and they seem to he treating it like a Hibs victory. They are so blinded by bitterness at the way we have savagely dominated them on the park, they have resorted to adopting a big/little cousins relationship with Celtic to comfort themselves. This comfort blanket has extended to off-field matters, and they now seem happy to back the horrendous stance of a rancid club like Celtic, rather than take the opportunity to try and clean up the filth element that is inherent at the core of Scottish Football.

Best bet for this to be successful is for Ann to make inroads in to tackling our bigots as strongly as she says she will, and then hopefully support will arrive from other clubs when we tackle Celtics'. Then once everyone else stands by what we are doing, it won't be as difficult for the dafties over the road to see its for the benefit of all.

All this however is in our own hands, and it will die a very public and embarrassing death, if we **** it up by singing hullo hullo etc.

My personal views on chanting within stadiums aside...great post mate!

One thing, is that Hibee 'cousins' chat exclusive to .net or the general theme atm amongst that lot?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

My personal views on chanting within stadiums aside...great post mate!

One thing, is that Hibee 'cousins' chat exclusive to .net or the general theme atm amongst that lot?

Your views are understandable, man. I understand where you are coming from. :thumbsup:

Some of their "sparky", "Broony" comments are mega-cringe. You wouldn't even see that level of sycophancy on here if Rangers were delivering an ill deserved thumping to them. A few of them seem to be actually trying to vicariously find glory in Celtic results, like a second team.

Their thread on "most one sided fixture" is a massive :facepalm: ... Trying to gloss over their miserable derby record, by glorifying in a team with ten times our resources beating us regularly.

There just aren't enough condescending words in the dictionary to describe them. It's just SO Hibernian.

Your views are understandable, man. I understand where you are coming from. :thumbsup:

Some of their "sparky", "Broony" comments are mega-cringe. You wouldn't even see that level of sycophancy on here if Rangers were delivering an ill deserved thumping to them. A few of them seem to be actually trying to vicariously find glory in Celtic results, like a second team.

Their thread on "most one sided fixture" is a massive :facepalm: ... Trying to gloss over their miserable derby record, by glorifying in a team with ten times our resources beating us regularly.

There just aren't enough condescending words in the dictionary to describe them. It's just SO Hibernian.

Your earlier post is so spot on, I'm not even looking on hibs.net as not interestred in what a bunch of roasters have to say. Let's rise above it, as difficult as it is with the nonsense getting thrown at us, and get our house in order.

We have great leadership at the club that hasn't bitten on the trolling from celtic & the media during the week, where as over there Rod loves to drop his pants at a chance to have a dig at hearts and it feed down to the feeble mind support.

WorldChampions1902

........Whilst conveniently overlooking the fact of how financially hamstrung we were during that 10 game run of Celtic defeats and all the other nonsense that was going on within our club.

How very Hibs indeed.

I remember Hibs fans touting there should be a community sing-song with their Irish cousins prior to the 2001 cup final between them.

The Shed Floodlight

Vermin entice Vermin - they are welcome to each other, and can have one big singalong, they can compare Giro's with each other at the end of it an all. Queen Anne should cut their allocation at New Year as well, let more of us into the ground to get behind our team.

MacDonald Jardine

Really??

I'm not going to go and watch the team I support because I can't sing a sectarian song,

No. They can't go and watch the team they support because they're banned.

MacDonald Jardine

I think we should have an official song book thread on here. The club can then print a song in each program. That way we can encourage the right atmosphere at all our games. Clearly ad-libs on match day should still be encouraged as I personally love the untold wit of my fellow Jambo's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh FFS.

MacDonald Jardine

If hibs.net are taking some sort of moral high ground over hello hello then forgive me for taking it with a gigantic ****ing pinch of salt considering the whole Roseburn delight in singing the song about Wallace Mercer.

Vermin.

Yes but it's not sectarian so it's okay according to them (and I suspect a few on here).

Neither. If a persuasive argument can be made that a particular sequence of musical notes should be silenced, then let that happen. But that argument has to be rooted in the damage that the piece of music does, and not the personal prejudices of people who take a dislike to the piece of music.

"pick a bail of cotton" (i think that's what it's called)

Interesting to note the folks on here going through all sorts of convoluted loops of argument in order to justify their 'right' to sing (or hum or play) a tune that they know full-well is sectarian; that everyone else singing it knows is sectarian; that everyone hearing it knows is sectarian. The last of these is what matters legally, btw.

The idea that a tune (rather than a song) can be sectarian isn't surprising or novel; in the 1975 play 'Just another Saturday' the lead character gets his face kicked in for whistling the Sash at a bus stop.

The tune in question is nearly dead at HMFC, hope it will soon be completely so

Geoff Kilpatrick

Interesting to note the folks on here going through all sorts of convoluted loops of argument in order to justify their 'right' to sing (or hum or play) a tune that they know full-well is sectarian; that everyone else singing it knows is sectarian; that everyone hearing it knows is sectarian. The last of these is what matters legally, btw.

The idea that a tune (rather than a song) can be sectarian isn't surprising or novel; in the 1975 play 'Just another Saturday' the lead character gets his face kicked in for whistling the Sash at a bus stop.

:rofl:

The whistler was asking for it! Violence is perfectly acceptable in that instance!

The White Cockade

if the minority of bigots we still have would bugger off to Ibrox

we would have nothing to worry about

you will always get banter, swearing, aggression at football matches

it would be netball if you didn't

but I still despair that some still think bigotry and racism is acceptable

it wasn't acceptable in the 70's, in the 80's and it's not aceptable now

get behind the team, give the opposition a bit of stick and let's take another 3 points today

Sorry, but the mega Rangers thread on JKB proves beyond any possible doubt that we are the mini huns.  Singing Hello Hello at Easter Road just confirms it.

It's a huge disappointment to me but it's an unescapable fact.

Just have to live with it.  Very much weakens our position when dealing with Celtic and accusations of hypocrisy will hit a big target.

Very much regret that's the way I see it.

The bits in bold prove beyond any possible doubt that you're slavering a load of pish here. It's an inescapable fact.

If I walked in to Tynecastle humming the Battle Hymn of the Republic, which is what those notes will always mean in my head, I'm quite sure that other Hearts fans would have very little interest in my objection that I wasn't meaning to hum GGTTH. Tunes have meanings when they're associated with words.

I'm generally against banning things unless absolutely necessary, but saying tunes don't have meaning without words strikes me as being willfully dense.

What?  You wouldn't be humming Dixie?  :ninja:

How many Hearts songs are based on the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic?  And are you advocating we ban <<all>> of them?

"pick a bail of cotton" (i think that's what it's called)

And?  Where does this get sung?

Who's arguing for sectarianism?  You're arguing to ban something that isn't sectarian and that includes an entirely uncontentious and inoffensive song published by Hearts because you personally have an issue with some other lyrics.  You can be offended by the other lyrics if you like, and I wouldn't disagree with you, but being offended by a sequence of musical notes merely demonstrates your own zealotry and intolerance.

There is no song with "alternative" lyrics based on The Sash.  If someone hums The Sash, they're humming The Sash, and in any case Hearts have never published a song based on the tune of The Sash.

How many of the people here demanding that a piece of music be classed as offensive and silenced favoured the booing of the Liechtenstein national anthem at Hampden back in 2010?  How many of you will protest at the playing of the German national anthem in September 2015?

Geoff Kilpatrick

How many Hearts songs are based on the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic?  And are you advocating we ban <<all>> of them?

And?  Where does this get sung?

Who's arguing for sectarianism?  You're arguing to ban something that isn't sectarian and that includes an entirely uncontentious and inoffensive song published by Hearts because you personally have an issue with some other lyrics.  You can be offended by the other lyrics if you like, and I wouldn't disagree with you, but being offended by a sequence of musical notes merely demonstrates your own zealotry and intolerance.

There is no song with "alternative" lyrics based on The Sash.  If someone hums The Sash, they're humming The Sash, and in any case Hearts have never published a song based on the tune of The Sash.

There is actually

Ironic given the poster!

And? Where does this get sung?

:lol: what's with the attitude? Strange.

I was only replying as you were asking for tunes (as supposed to the words that people sing) that were offensive. I made a suggestion. I understand your point I just that that tune was probably as close as you would get to offensive music.

:lol: what's with the attitude? Strange.

I was only replying as you were asking for tunes (as supposed to the words that people sing) that were offensive. I made a suggestion. I understand your point I just that that tune was probably as close as you would get to offensive music.

But that song is famous because of its controversial lyrics.

I get the lyrics thing, and I don't like certain lyrics in the Hello Hello song.  But I do like the tune, and the tune is also associated with different variations of the song that are not offensive, including at least one published by Hearts.

There is actually

I meant in the context of what gets sung at Tynecastle.  There are alternative versions and parodies of The Sash, as there are with most marches; they are very easy to adapt and change.

Geoff Kilpatrick

I meant in the context of what gets sung at Tynecastle.  There are alternative versions and parodies of The Sash, as there are with most marches; they are very easy to adapt and change.

Maybe you did but the poster you replied to wasn't referring to Tynecastle.

I was raised a traditionalist. I do not sing the song, offending version or otherwise. I have no problem with the tune, but reference to "Billy boys" and "Fenians" are harking back to the sectarian days of the 30s.

The offending version appears to be too imbedded in certain sections of our support to stop it being sung when we play the clubs of Irish origin. Pity, but this subject will be debated for years to come.

Art Vanderlay

As much as anyone might like the tune, the tune is tainted by the lyrics associated with it. Let it go.

I never understand why people cling so strongly to "Hello, hello" or insist about alternative lyrics etc. That tune in a Scottish football stadium = sectarian undercurrent. Let it go.

Geoff Kilpatrick

As much as anyone might like the tune, the tune is tainted by the lyrics associated with it. Let it go.

I never understand why people cling so strongly to "Hello, hello" or insist about alternative lyrics etc. That tune in a Scottish football stadium = sectarian undercurrent. Let it go.

Were Man Utd fans being sectarian by singing it at Parkhead?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well done, you're soooo clever.

It's a fair question. Are Scottish fans uniquely sectarian?

Art Vanderlay

It's a fair question. Are Scottish fans uniquely sectarian?

Uniquely (and embarrassingly) by way of manner, sure. Although not the only fans guilty of it - Personally speaking, anything that would put distance between Heart of Midlothian and bigoted and sectarian behaviour gets a thumbs up from me.

Unsurprisingly, Ugly American is unaware of "Glory, glory what a hell of a way to die".

Clue: "To die a hibby barsteward"

Poor example then.  

Dixie's a fine example.  There's a number of fun ditties that use the tune, including "In Frisco Bay there Lived a Whale," but I would never, ever simply whistle or hum the tune in the vicinity of my African-American neighbors, particularly since I live in the former capital of the f---ing  confederacy, precisely because of what the tune means.  

And I'm not advocating banning anything -- as I said, I'm generally against banning any kind of speech except of the absolute worst kind.  My main point in responding is to say that tunes have meaning -- they're more than a string of notes.  My take on the "Hullo hullo" tune is that I wish Hearts fans would stop singing anything whatsoever to it because of its horrible history, particularly with any words involving being up to our knees in anyone's blood, but since I can't be there but once every few years I was staying out of that particular debate.

My main point in responding is to say that tunes have meaning -- they're more than a string of notes.

What is so offensive about this particular sequence of notes that means it must be silenced?

How offensive is the sequence of notes when compared to (for example) the tune of the current German national anthem?

I'm asking because if we're going to get offended by pieces of music rather than offensive words, then the sins associated with Hello Hello pale into complete insignificance compared with the deeds carried out against humanity - and against us - by the people who used the tune of the present German national anthem. They slaughtered millions, including no small number of British and Americans, but it's OK for their successors to carry on using the same piece of music as their anthem because they dumped the verses that were used until 1945.

Now you and I both know that nobody on this thread would take seriously a proposition that Germany should jettison the tune of its anthem because it was used by the Nazi regime. And you and I both know that nobody in their right minds will be protesting when that sequence of musical notes is played at Hampden next September.

Yet you and others on this thread would apply a completely different and hypocritical standard to a song that has no offensive lyrics and which was published with the club's approval, for no other reason than that someone else has sung a version of the tune with different and offending words.

The issue here is not the tune; the issue is people unreasonably choosing to take offence and the rest of us being expected to acquiesce in that. So what happens when those people choose to pick on something else to be offended about? Do the rest of us just keep saying OK?

If they stop choosing to take offence they'll solve the problem.

Craig Herbertson

I broadly agree with you Uly. But I'm reminded of the 1990's in a pub in Belfast with my Irish Catholic girlfriend (who wanted NI to remain in the UK which probably says something about the complexities). I was asked to sing a song so I played the safe bet and started singing Wild Mountain Thyme. Nobody could be offended by a love song with Irish words and a Scottish tune.

I narrowly avoided a kicking.

People make emotional associations with songs and songs are used to inspire or threaten people, Most German folk songs are never sung today  because the Nazi's recognised that music could be used to motivate people. Goebbels deliberately changed some of the lyrics to Lilly Marlene and for a time it was even banned. Songs and marches are used when soldiers got to war or when protestors wish to make a point. You can't sing Dixie in the South now. You can't avoid the emotional connotations of music.

I really dislike the trend towards banning freedom of speech which includes singing. It's a sad sign of the times but there is a real danger for Hearts: With The Rangers out currently as a credible opposition, it seems that elements of the press and a minority of Celtic fans who wish to promote their own political agenda are just looking for excuses to tag us as some kind of alternative bogie man. This is so far from the truth it would be laughable if it wasn't a real threat. We're sadlt at the point where I think we have to overstate the case to make sure we are not tainted by these narrow minded people.

I broadly agree with you Uly.

The only reason for silencing that tune is some unwritten rule that says that once someone declares offence we should do what they want in the hope they stop taking offence. Earlier in this thread I suggested that this was wrong for a number of reasons, and in fairness your post above supports my point.

Reasonable people should not allow themselves to be led by unreasonable people. It is that simple.

What is so offensive about this particular sequence of notes that means it must be silenced?

How offensive is the sequence of notes when compared to (for example) the tune of the current German national anthem?

I'm asking because if we're going to get offended by pieces of music rather than offensive words, then the sins associated with Hello Hello pale into complete insignificance compared with the deeds carried out against humanity - and against us - by the people who used the tune of the present German national anthem. They slaughtered millions, including no small number of British and Americans, but it's OK for their successors to carry on using the same piece of music as their anthem because they dumped the verses that were used until 1945.

Now you and I both know that nobody on this thread would take seriously a proposition that Germany should jettison the tune of its anthem because it was used by the Nazi regime. And you and I both know that nobody in their right minds will be protesting when that sequence of musical notes is played at Hampden next September.

Yet you and others on this thread would apply a completely different and hypocritical standard to a song that has no offensive lyrics and which was published with the club's approval, for no other reason than that someone else has sung a version of the tune with different and offending words.

The issue here is not the tune; the issue is people unreasonably choosing to take offence and the rest of us being expected to acquiesce in that. So what happens when those people choose to pick on something else to be offended about? Do the rest of us just keep saying OK?

If they stop choosing to take offence they'll solve the problem.

There is the problem!   Make the laws subjective - or at least interpretation of them, and you have huge problems.

Some laws are currently interpreted subjectively by members of the public, police officers etc. and some ridiculous charges are brought  The only place where subjectivity should come in and, even then in a very limited sense, is on the bench in a court of law or, at the High Court.

If it has become a problem at that level, then the area of "offence" in matters like football songs is almost impossible to deal with.

mountains outta mole hills.

this tune will get hearts into trouble no matter how many ways you find to excuse its use. is it such a hardship to not sing 1 particular song.

when do we start the human rights infringed argument to justify its use, is there anybody singing this at the games actually suffered the hardships associated with the bloody thing.

this tune will get hearts into trouble....

No it won't, except in the minds of those who are already prejudiced.

Unless you can show what damage is done by a sequence of musical notes, all you are doing is choosing to find offence in something and expecting others to tell you that you're right.

N Lincs Jambo

No it won't, except in the minds of those who are already prejudiced.

Unless you can show what damage is done by a sequence of musical notes, all you are doing is choosing to find offence in something and expecting others to tell you that you're right.

Whilst I broadly agree with what you are saying, the fact remains that when you hear this at the football it is never an "instrumental", ie a "sequence of musical notes" and unfortunately the lyrics sung (admittedly very rarely these days) belong in the dark ages. I quite liked Geoff's suggestion for alternatively lyrics at the start and I have an old Hearts 45 from the 70s with the words "we're out to beat you every time, surrender or you'll die, while we are marching through Gorgie". Can't see too much offense being taken here??

Whilst I broadly agree with what you are saying, the fact remains that when you hear this at the football it is never an "instrumental", ie a "sequence of musical notes" and unfortunately the lyrics sung (admittedly very rarely these days) belong in the dark ages. I quite liked Geoff's suggestion for alternatively lyrics at the start and I have an old Hearts 45 from the 70s with the words "we're out to beat you every time, surrender or you'll die, while we are marching through Gorgie". Can't see too much offense being taken here??

The lyrics are fixable, but there are others taking offence anyway, and that's the problem.

Are you taking the Frank Zappa line Uly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg-F29C7sus

Not having watched the video I'm saying that we have an acceptable alternative to the version of the song with offensive lyrics.  But some people think we should silence that version even though it doesn't have offensive lyrics.  I'm saying they're wrong, no more and no less.

gorgie rd eh11

This covers it.

MacDonald Jardine

if the minority of bigots we still have would bugger off to Ibrox

we would have nothing to worry about

you will always get banter, swearing, aggression at football matches

it would be netball if you didn't

but I still despair that some still think bigotry and racism is acceptable

it wasn't acceptable in the 70's, in the 80's and it's not aceptable now

get behind the team, give the opposition a bit of stick and let's take another 3 points today

Right then. Explain exactly what is banter etc?

Is Mercer's death okay?

Archived