.net (Hello hello)

Tayside Jambo

Agree with the OP 100% & I too used to belt out the "hullo hullo" song back in the day until I realised that bigotry, racism etc was not a constructive part of my personality growing up.

ANYONE who thinks its OK to sing this song or even a watered down version are really just kidding themselves on that its not associated with religious bigotry and a connection to THAT lot along the M8.

It needs to go. We are Hearts & we have plenty songs that we could be singing on match day.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They must be so proud at .net

Buyhibs held an open forum .net users and all other fans interested in their proposals to have a fan led initiative to buy the club as well as q and a session.

They booked sunnyside hibs supporters club promoted it via social medie and .net and on the radio.

response was magnificent ...a total of 8 yes 8 fans turned up for this prestigious

event

apathy rules down at Easter road

Wonder how many of the 8 were actually journalists sent to cover the "event".

SectionDJambo

Hibs fans, I have spoken to lately, have taken up an alliance with those of Celtic. Not in the sectarian sense, but to receive support and counselling for the domination that we have enjoyed over them for so long. They are, therefore, very unlikely to say anything else bar the opinion of their pals.

I'm not interested in what they say about us. After all, given the vile songs and general laughable events they have planned for us over the last few years, why should we value their opinion?

It's more important that we listen to ourselves, to work on ridding ourselves of any excuse that the Celtic PR machine come up with to smear us,to cover their own section of vile followers. Only then, will they have to fall back on involving Rangers, which they are generally afraid to do.

You never hear any of their media apologists comparing Rangers fans to them. They are scared to. That's why they bring Hearts up so often. That's what we need to break.

The Treasurer

there was a version on the b side of the Hearts song released in the 80s

Marching through Gorgie.

Can't see how anyone would be offended by that song.

Its sung a hell of a lot less than it used to be which is good. Whilst a few still need to cut it out I think a lot of people who used to sing it don't any more. The day I listen to hibs.net however is the day I give up with football

I enjoy singing it. Great tune. Great for atmosphere.

Can't wait to sing it again at Easter Road and get it right up those bitter *******s.

(Hibee blood version)

Very rarely have I heard hullo hullo being sung in recent times, it was alot more common about 10 years ago. There is a small portion of idoits that air it once or twice a season, and usually dies out/is booed before it reaches the sectarian line anyway.

Every club has there idoits, possibly 5 - 10% of total support (50% in Celtics case), just a pity our idoits attach themselves to one of the biggest problems in Scottish society

thehibsareintheirbeds

Its clear people are always going to disagree on this and its amazing how passionate some people can be about a song. Its dying out but will take a statement from hearts to kill it for good.

I think we should just stop singing it.

The reason it keeps on coming up on Kickback is that a growing proportion of us (probably the vast majority) just don't like the association that it has.

That said, backs in the 80s I remember singing the old version, and other songs that just make me cringe now. The thing was that I never really knew what they meant, and was just getting swept along with the rest of the crowd singing them.

I guess I now find it hard to criticise the 16-17 years old laddies for singing it. The older ones though...

I'm just glad we now have someone at the helm who seems to be getting to grips with a lot of issues that have been aggrevating us for years.

They must be so proud at .net

Buyhibs held an open forum .net users and all other fans interested in their proposals to have a fan led initiative to buy the club as well as q and a session.

They booked sunnyside hibs supporters club promoted it via social medie and .net and on the radio.

response was magnificent ...a total of 8 yes 8 fans turned up for this prestigious

event

apathy rules down at Easter road

Yeah but 9,992 claim they almost turned up to their 'small event'

I'm 33 and was brought up a Catholic. I used to sing it up to the blood bit amd go quiet as a kid and when I found the hibbie version it was great to belt it all out.

I've not sang either for a while but I think it's a shame to lose it. It's a great tune and I remember a rave version on a hearts cd I bought years ago. I used to play it on derby days when I had a hibbie school mate as a flatmate.

Problem is we only seem to sung it against certain teams.

Meanings change overtime and I don't see a problem claiming it and changing the words but of we are going for a family club we should drop the bits about "blood" and "die" altogether.

Either water it down or it probably has to go.

I can't think of another song that we have that starts off so ferociously which is great to be a part of but are folk singing it with pride in the club or hate at others?

there was a version on the b side of the Hearts song released in the 80s

It's not the 80s anymore. Attitudes, laws and levels of enlightenment change and move on.

The tune from the Hearts song is based on the Hippopotamus Song, an earlier music hall number by Flanders and Swann. Coincidentally, this song was made popular by the famous bass baritone Ian Wallace - who was a Hearts fan.

Not really - The Hippopotamus Song pinched a 19th Century Hymn as its tune. Might be called Blessed Assurance, not 100% sure. Wife and daughter are both pianists though and I know they both play it from hymn books.

Can you read my post properly? For example, Man Utd sing Hello Hello We are the Busby Boys.

The last two lines are And if you are a City fan, surrender or you'll die. We all follow United.

So if Hearts fans sung a similar version there shouldn't be any issue.

Does England have a deeply entrenched sectarian problem like we do in Scotland?  No, they do not, at least if they do it isn't reported on a lot.  

I think we should just stop singing it.

The reason it keeps on coming up on Kickback is that a growing proportion of us (probably the vast majority) just don't like the association that it has.

That said, backs in the 80s I remember singing the old version, and other songs that just make me cringe now. The thing was that I never really knew what they meant, and was just getting swept along with the rest of the crowd singing them.

I guess I now find it hard to criticise the 16-17 years old laddies for singing it. The older ones though...

I'm just glad we now have someone at the helm who seems to be getting to grips with a lot of issues that have been aggrevating us for years.

I never thought I would say this about the inbred hoards on .net but after reading most of their thread on Queen Budges' statement on Wednesday. Granted, the vast majority of the posts are bitter pish from them but I think they may have a good point regarding the singing of a particular song by a good proportion of our support.

I refer, of course, to Hullo, Hullo (or whatever its actual name is). We are not mini huns, diet huns or any other version of them. WE ARE HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN!!!! Why do we sing a song that the entire country identifies with them and their vile values!!!!!

For years I have cringed whenever I have heard this sung by our supporters at home or away. It does not matter what words are actually being sung, the tune is universally seen as tied to sectarian values and I wish we would stamp it out completely. It is a vile song and I cannot understand why some in our support sing it, it has NOTHING to do with Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

The statement was a great start on stamping out sectarianism at HMFC but we, as supporters, also need to do our part.

Oh, and any argument saying 'we sing it in retaliation for the rebel songs and other sectarian garbage sung by Celtic' or 'we sing it to the Hobbits to wind them up' is utter horseshit. If we want to take the moral high ground and help lead Scottish football out of this blight then we really need to sort out our own house.

To end this rant I will make this admission, I sang this song in my younger years but I grew up and realised just how offensive it is. It's time our supporters that still sing it do the same.

:spoton:

Sums it up perfectly.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Does England have a deeply entrenched sectarian problem like we do in Scotland? No, they do not, at least if they do it isn't reported on a lot.

I remember United singing their version at Parkhead which the vicTims booed. Were United being bigots? No, they were supporting their team.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Incidentally, I would rather the song was dropped than the current sanitised version too, let alone the one that lands the club in trouble. The point I'm making is that the tune itself cannot be classed as bigoted. That is nonsense!

fabienleclerq

All I'll add is the amount of people that just about greet because a celtic fan called them a diet Hun is pathetic. Who cares what they think? We could drop Hello Hello (which we pretty much have) and they'll still call you a diet.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Incidentally, I would rather the song was dropped than the current sanitised version too, let alone the one that lands the club in trouble. The point I'm making is that the tune itself cannot be classed as bigoted. That is nonsense!

This seems like a good post to drop the whole pointless debate on. :thumbsup:

On the core point. How will everyone who has hailed Ann's statement react when more Hearts supporters are ejected and banned in the future? That will be the acid test for us, and whether we back her on this.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

All I'll add is the amount of people that just about greet because a celtic fan called them a diet Hun is pathetic. Who cares what they think? We could drop Hello Hello (which we pretty much have) and they'll still call you a diet.

One of our own posters used the very term "diets" just the other day, which was frankly just bizarre. I can't name them, as they have not posted on this thread. In fact the said poster only ever posts on threads laying in to Rangers, while sharing Celtic banter memes and gifs.

This seems like a good post to drop the whole pointless debate on. :thumbsup:

On the core point. How will everyone who has hailed Ann's statement react when more Hearts supporters are ejected and banned in the future? That will be the acid test for us, and whether we back her on this.

for singing a silly song which is only sung(in any lyrical format) to bring up religeous prejudices....hmmm i would think most would clap at the removal of twats that are holding the club back for tiny/small/insignificant in this day and age reasons.

Geoff, it's not nonsense!!  As I've said earlier, this TUNE is seen by everyone as linked to a sectarian agenda.  It doesn't matter what words are sung now, the link in there in everyones mind.  I too have heard English clubs singing it and wondered what the hell they are singing it for, not noticing the words but the tune!!

As I said in my original post, if we want to sling something like sectarian singing in another (far worse offending!!) clubs face, then we need to stamp this out or we are just being hypocrites.  

But why give them the ammunition for them to try and justify them calling us this?!?!?

I'm pretty thick skinned and words don't hurt me however the perception that my beloved club is put in the same bracket as that lot from the west sickens me to the very core

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Rarely sang.

No set of fans should be singing about being covered in opposition fans blood. World won't accept that any longer.

Good song.

Change the words. They did for the centenary record.

'Hello, hello' is based on 'Marching through Georgia', a Union Army song from the American Civil War. The original begins 'Hurrah, hurrah!', which are the words used in the version on HMFC's centenary record.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff, it's not nonsense!! As I've said earlier, this TUNE is seen by everyone as linked to a sectarian agenda. It doesn't matter what words are sung now, the link in there in everyones mind. I too have heard English clubs singing it and wondered what the hell they are singing it for, not noticing the words but the tune!!

As I said in my original post, if we want to sling something like sectarian singing in another (far worse offending!!) clubs face, then we need to stamp this out or we are just being hypocrites.

Ever read McCrae's Battalion?

Ever seen the version of the song that ends with "Marching with Georgie"?

It is based on an American Civil War tune called "Marching Through Georgia". Those damn Yankees were bigoted arseholes! Who knew?

:rolleyes:

Rarely sang.

No set of fans should be singing about being covered in opposition fans blood. World won't accept that any longer.

Good song.

Change the words. They did for the centenary record.

We cannot do that in this country!!!  This tune is utterly tainted by the blue side of the bigot brigade!!  No matter what words are put in the other side and their Hobbit cousins will accuse us of bigoted values if they hear it sung.  Let those f**kwits sing what they want, let them be as bigoted as they want, just not MY club.

Ever read McCrae's Battalion?

Ever seen the version of the song that ends with "Marching with Georgie"?

It is based on an American Civil War tune called "Marching Through Georgia". Those damn Yankees were bigoted arseholes! Who knew?

Different words, different times, different meaning.  The TUNE is tainted.  

It's a pity, yes it is a great tune but it will always be seen, by 2 clubs in particular (one of which is the MSM darling and newsbite 1st stop) as bigoted and sectarian.

Geoff Kilpatrick

We cannot do that in this country!!! This tune is utterly tainted by the blue side of the bigot brigade!! No matter what words are put in the other side and their Hobbit cousins will accuse us of bigoted values if they hear it sung. Let those f**kwits sing what they want, let them be as bigoted as they want, just not MY club.

Ok, back to my point to our resident historian. If the Orcs used the tune of the Hearts song for a sectarian song (let's say H E A was replaced with the abbreviation for File Transfer Protocol) would we have to stop singing the Hearts Song as the tune would have been "tainted", by your logic?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Different words, different times, different meaning. The TUNE is tainted.

It's a pity, yes it is a great tune but it will always be seen, by 2 clubs in particular (one of which is the MSM darling and newsbite 1st stop) as bigoted and sectarian.

Good job you never bought the song from the club shop in the 90s then. The late Tom Wilson had a dance version of Hello Hello on it!

Hearts Heritage

Ok, back to my point to our resident historian. If the Orcs used the tune of the Hearts song for a sectarian song (let's say H E A was replaced with the abbreviation for File Transfer Protocol) would we have to stop singing the Hearts Song as the tune would have been "tainted", by your logic?

No. Stop be perverse.

The tune of the Hearts song will always be associated with the Hearts song when sung by Hearts regardless of your fantastic future tainting.

Geoff Kilpatrick

No. Stop be perverse.

The tune of the Hearts song will always be associated with the Hearts song when sung by Hearts regardless of your fantastic future tainting.

Will it?

All that extra exposure the Orcs get on TV relative to us. If they nicked the tune they could easily taint it.

The press reporting of Ann's statement has been such as to focus a lot of attention on the Hearts support.  We need to get our house in order.

There needs to be some changes at our end.

fabienleclerq

But why give them the ammunition for them to try and justify them calling us this?!?!?

I'm pretty thick skinned and words don't hurt me however the perception that my beloved club is put in the same bracket as that lot from the west sickens me to the very core

You don't sound thick skinned!

I'm not going to not sing a song incase a green bigot calls me a bigot.

gorgie rd eh11

The sensible Hibs fans have backed what Ann Budge has said, the short sighted ones can't see past the regular doings the "yams" have inflicted on them. The short sighted can come out with the aye but what about them stuff all they want, Hearts are trying to adress the problems and have been for years.

Jumping into bed with morons like charlie nicholas doesn't show them up well, maybe if petrie and co showed some balls instead of sucking up to Lawell something good could come out of this. Unfortunately the desperation to turn celtic fans continued scummy behaviour into a Hearts problem seems too tempting for most of them.

Agree with the OP 100% & I too used to belt out the "hullo hullo" song back in the day until I realised that bigotry, racism etc was not a constructive part of my personality growing up.

ANYONE who thinks its OK to sing this song or even a watered down version are really just kidding themselves on that its not associated with religious bigotry and a connection to THAT lot along the M8.

It needs to go. We are Hearts & we have plenty songs that we could be singing on match day.

As a youth I joined others in belting out "hullo hullo", The Sash, GSTQ and many other classics until people who knew better than me told me to grow up. And I did. Although still a tad 'highly-strung' at games, I at least don't bring religion into it.

Seems ridiculous to think what it used to be like but also shows how far we have come. I would say that dropping the "F" word from that song and singing it in the way it is down south would be okay with me, as it sounds pretty different in 'tone'

I used to sing it back in the days of the shed

As others have said it is now time to drop it and move on

But hibs fans taking the moral high ground here after singing the Wallace mercer song

Please

The association of that tune is. Just ban it. Nobody sings 'The Sash' or 'Derry's Walls' anymore.

Nobody associates the 'Hearts Song' with any other words. I've no idea what an Old Orange Flute is.

I presume you mean Hearts fans? There were plenty of Rangers fans singing both at Tynecastle a couple of weeks ago!

Hearts Heritage

I presume you mean Hearts fans? There were plenty of Rangers fans singing both at Tynecastle a couple of weeks ago!

Of course

Complete disassociation from all 'Ra Peepul's songs is what we need

Fort Vallance

Because it is one of the oldest debates on Kickback and its past forms and it always ends up in tears.

Personally, the song would never be an issue if a version similar to English clubs was sung.

The 1974 Centenery version brought out by the club must have been deemed acceptable. "On Saturdays you'll hear us from Tynecastle to Dalry"

Geoff Kilpatrick

Of course

Complete disassociation from all 'Ra Peepul's songs is what we need

I take it GSTQ shouldn't be sung at Haymarket then?

Hagar the Horrible

Charlie is 100% right

But that was the 70's and 80's....guess what we have grown us since then, Plus we have realised it keeps fans away not attract them.  We are doing our best, at one time Millwall would have been bricking it.  WE want to move on but its not helping when plums like Charlie who has not been here for 30 years keeps opening up old wounds.  Celtic just keep fanning the flames, their fans are desperate to hang onto the 70's, and in the last 10 years have become more radicalised and I would say worse than the 70's ever were.  The big problem is Celtic as a club still have that massive chip and if they were to do more to help in stead of a massive burst of whataboutery.  Celtic had a great chance to build bridges, but somehow they prefer Mutually Assured Destruction.....We will now be attacked for every misdemeanour instead of praising how we deal with it when it happens.  Celtic will go on a full offensive now and every eejit like Charlie will have their tuppence worth about how some big Jambo gave them a drive by name calling!

I like away fans at our stadium, all are welcome, Celtic right now I don't want, but once they learn to leave their bigotry, politics and religion at home, not some political struggle in another country that ended 100 years and even that country has let go!!!! Come and support your club, take responsibility and stop victimidating every body else, its just tiresome and YOU are killing the game....look at your empty stadium????  can it only be filled with hatred....looks like it to me 

This sectarian thing btw, does it even exist outside of football? I've never seen or heard any aspect of it outside of club rivalry.

I could nieve but If a hibs/celtic fan or player died I think we'd respect a minutes silence. And I think they'd (for the most part) do the same.

Poppies and royals and religious figures are contentious subjects for some. Keep them out of football or expect some boos.

I'm proud of our sacrifice in ww1 and think we should celebrate it but you know celtic are going to boo etc so don't give them the opportunity. It's politics rather than religion.

Club rivalry is natural and to me enjoyable in the right outlets. I think the religious thing is overplayed. I don't like rangers or celtic. I prefer hibs to either.

It's based on the fans, the bias and fact hibs are a source of joy and many points.

Never see folk outside churches singing these songs

When I say don't give celtic the chance I mean don't ask them to do a minutes silence.

Not that we shouldn't wear poppies on our strip

Archived