Frail to go - on BBC Radio Scotland now

Say What Again

davemclaren
I think Frail has been badly let down by the Club. He came from youth coach to first team coach due to Romanov's meddling. Unqualified and working with one hand behind his back, what did folk expect? Miracles? :mad:

Totally agree. He was only manager as he was the last man standing.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frail did a good job for us in terms of making things steady and it was ridiculous that he had to do it himself - no other coaches and he continued to take the reserve team.

He has conducted himself pretty well, even before he was in charge and brought a bit of dignity to everything. That was despite having to cover up for Korobochka/Chervenkov and Romanov.

However, his coaching ability has to be questioned. The classic case of this is Elliot who continued to get chance after chance despite being completely useless. At the same time, guys like Makela didn't get a look in because Frail thought he wasn't up to it.

I thought he'd stay in the background but I think it's the best thing for the club. We need someone who doesn't have any emotional ties with any players and who comes into the club knowing exactly how poor some of the players are. Whether that's McGhee, who knows.

He'll probably get another job in football soon and I hope he does.

Thanks for all your efforts Stevie. You cared alot about our club.

Celtic youth coach anyone?

cosanostra
I think Frail has been badly let down by the Club. He came from youth coach to first team coach due to Romanov's meddling. Unqualified and working with one hand behind his back, what did folk expect? Miracles? :mad:

Interesting point.

He was promoted too quickly to a position where he had neither the experience nor the ability to succeed.

He should be coaching the u19s or something, not facing press conferences after home defeats and losing his job.

Commander Harris

if this story turns out to be correct then I wish Frail all the best.

maroonlegions

yessssssss, thank feck,:) anyone who would consider clum to be a footballer is not what we need at HMFC.;)

maroonlegions

Caretaker Frail to leave Hearts

Hearts interim manager Stevie Frail

Frail's future at Tynecastle has been uncertain

Hearts interim manager Stevie Frail is to leave Tynecastle and will be replaced by a new boss as Hearts plan ahead for next season.

Frail was unavailable for comment on Wednesday, but BBC Sport can reveal that he is aware that a new managerial team is to be brought in.

Hearts, who finished the season in a disappointing eighth place, appointed Frail caretaker boss in January.

He had previously been in joint charge along with Anatoly Korobochka.

That followed the departure of first-team coach Valdas Ivanauskas in March 2007.

Mark McGhee has been widely tipped to take over at Hearts after leading Motherwell to third place in his first season at Fir Park.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Hearts are addled with problems and the lack of action is eating away at our summer schedule

ajm1874

But Well chairman John Boyle has said that he has had no approach from Hearts for his manager's services.

"I had dinner with Mark the other night and, if he's leaving, he never mentioned it to me," said Boyle.

"Hearts have made no approach and I'm pretty confident of keeping Mark for next season.":rolleyes::P:hobofish:

McGhee said at the weekend that there had been no official approach for his services.

However, he admitted that other clubs would have been taking note of Motherwell's success.

IMA MAROON

I've a lot of time for SF, sad to see him leave but it is just the way it goes in his line of work. He knows that himself.

Gimme an H...

Gutted he might be leaving completely to be honest. Not a manager by any stretch but a good coach and probably the only person left at Hearts that know what playing for Hearts means.

Good luck Shaggy.

chester copperpot

I also feel sorry for Frail.

Was let down badly by regime putting him into a position he was not yet ready for. He's a nice guy and gave his all for us, it just wasn't the right time or place for him. Wish him well in future.

Frail will go to Cellick IMO.

So its that jhudas bassa Frhail now then. Lets hope he doesn't pump his chest.

Cheerio Stevie.

Tried your best but were put in an untenable position, good luck with your next job.

Thig Ar Latha
And as per usual....nowt on the clubs offical site?! http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNews

Does this mean its not true? (as someone pulled me up for the same comment I made about Pinilla's apparent new contract not being on the club site)?!!

Probably because no announcement has been made and BBC want to 'Exclusively Reveal' The report starts 'BBC understands.

Guest JamboRobbo

I agree. Very easy to blame Frail, but I think that would be misdirecting the blame.

I feel very sorry for Shaggy. Put in an impossible position, then fired for not acheiving the impossible, whilst having 2 hands tied behind his back and a blindfold on.

Another in a long line of scapegoats for Vladimir Romanovs incompetence, and the loss of what could've become a great asset for this club.

Lets hope the next manager gets a fair chance to make HIS OWN decisions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/7413375.stm

Hearts interim manager Stevie Frail is to leave Tynecastle and will be replaced by a new boss as Hearts plan ahead for next season.

Frail was unavailable for comment on Wednesday, but BBC Sport can reveal that he is aware that a new managerial team is to be brought in.

Hearts, who finished the season in a disappointing eighth place, appointed Frail caretaker boss in January.

He had previously been in joint charge along with Anatoly Korobochka.

That followed the departure of first-team coach Valdas Ivanauskas in March 2007.

Mark McGhee has been widely tipped to take over at Hearts after leading Motherwell to third place in his first season at Fir Park.

But Well chairman John Boyle has said that he has had no approach from Hearts for his manager's services.

"I had dinner with Mark the other night and, if he's leaving, he never mentioned it to me," said Boyle.

"Hearts have made no approach and I'm pretty confident of keeping Mark for next season."

McGhee said at the weekend that there had been no official approach for his services.

However, he admitted that other clubs would have been taking note of Motherwell's success.

JamboGraham

Not sad about this at all...

Frail will be fine, he went from under 19 coach to first team coach in record time and will likely get a decent position with an SFL club in the near future. How long would he have had to wait for that without his rapid Romanov rise?

The key thing here is that we make a clean sweep and the new man comes in with his own tried and trusted staff, as happens in almost every other managerial appointment.

For me Frail staying in any capacity would leave more doubt in my mind about any "new manager" and a fresh start.

Gimme an H...
I agree. Very easy to blame Frail, but I think that would be misdirecting the blame.

I feel very sorry for Shaggy. Put in an impossible position, then fired for not acheiving the impossible, whilst having 2 hands tied behind his back and a blindfold on.

Another in a long line of scapegoats for Vladimir Romanovs incompetence, and the loss of what could've become a great asset for this club.

Couldn't have put it better myself, everyone knows Frail wasn't ready for such a job. To see comments saying that they are glad he's gone and good riddance etc is shocking imo, he worked his cheeks off for us even though he knew himself he was completely out of his depth.

Guest JamboRobbo
Not sad about this at all...

Frail will be fine, he went from under 19 coach to first team coach in record time and will likely get a decent position with an SFL club in the near future. How long would he have had to wait for that without his rapid Romanov rise?

I hope this turns out to be true mate.

The key thing here is that we make a clean sweep and the new man comes in with his own tried and trusted staff, as happens in almost every other managerial appointment.

For me Frail staying in any capacity would leave more doubt in my mind about any "new manager" and a fresh start.

Agree entirely with that. But I do feel we've lost what could've (in the long term) been a good and loyal asset for our club.

Thig Ar Latha

I think the chances are that the new man wants his own people in. That is quite normal in football. I would have liked to see him stay, with the U 19's maybe. I just hope the Club reward his loyalty properly for once.

I would just like to thank Shaggy for what he has done since January and wish him all the best, I hope that this goes for most of the Jambo faithfull as he has tried his very best in some very very dark days within the club once again Shagy thank and I wish you all the best for the future !!!!

JamboGraham

I don't think it is as clear cut at this. Frail would have been able to see from the 1st January statement that this was always the most likely outcome.

Even if Frail had managed to rescue the season (what ever we mean by that, 3rd place? Top Six? Decent cup run?) the ambition of Hearts must be greater than an inexperienced coach fast tracked from the under 19's.

Frail will be fine.

The media all seem to be under the impression that he did a good job at Hearts. I'd assume owners of other clubs will share the same view.

Although I'd say he was nowhere near ready, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a job at the lower end of this league.

Charlie-Brown

There is the possibility that Frail could come back in future if he does well in coaching / management elsewhere.

Jam Tarts 1874
And as per usual....nowt on the clubs offical site?! http://www.heartsfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/HeartsNews

Does this mean its not true? (as someone pulled me up for the same comment I made about Pinilla's apparent new contract not being on the club site)?!!

Maybe the Hearts office folks are just too busy selling season tickets :rolleyes:

This story seems true simply because it has come from the BBC and Frail has gone to ground.

I still don't believe the Pinilla story, if it was true I just feel sure Hearts would have wanted the story spun out positively. I didn't mean to be disparaging to you about this previously.

:) Good luck in the future if your times up at Tynie Stevie.

It may be time to make you're mark in the lower divisions as you're own boss like John Mcglynn is doing at the Rovers just now and previously when Craig Levein got his break at Cowdenbeath.

You've had a taste of the media limelight now- dont go back to the reserves at Celtic-you're better than that.;)

Rawrrrrrrr

Bit split on this to be honest, Frail and his entire team have been awful, time and time again they have been shown up as 1) not very good and 2) lying to fans and others

Ideally I would punt him, Tam Ritchie - our fitness records should say it all for why , Darren and John Murray and replace them all with experienced proven men who will change things

However, saying this I dont think romanov has any intention of putting a proper man in place so maybe its better the devil we know.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter to me who is in charge as our problems are far deeper than frail , no matter how useless he is

Hear hear...

I hope he's staying at the club in some capacity. Assuming that he'd want to do that, of course.

Hmmmmm. Stephen Frail.

Well I will just say that he has had a ridiculosly hard job because he was so out of his depth it is unbelieveable. To start with I liked him. I seen he was in a difficult position and was doing a good job and he certainly cared about the club.

Then came the constant talking of pish in the media which I didn't agree with.

Then some of his decisions. Whether they were his or not I don't know. But he claims they were.

A clear out is over due.

A manager is over due.

Romanov has to take the vast majority of the blame. But if Frail isn't from blame either just because he was in a tricky situation.

JamboGraham
But I do feel we've lost what could've (in the long term) been a good and loyal asset for our club.

I agree, it is frustrating as there was some fine work being done in the youth set up (under Frail) and it would have been good for Frail to stay there a bit longer.

However, the only real option now for Frail at Hearts would be to go back to the under 19's or accept a coaching role under the new man (if one was to be offered). Neither of these are really options in terms of a career for SF or for any level of respect to maintained from the players across the squad.

asomerville
Jim Spence saying Frail will LEAVE Hearts and a new management team will take over.

Said Frail was 'unavailable for comment' but BBC Scotland understands that Frail is aware he won't be part of the new coaching setup.

Why now it should have been at the time of the split. Unless Big Mark is coming as Donkey keeps saying. Good source says McGee has told the well players he is leaving.

GOOD LUCK SHAGGY WITH YOUR NEXT CLUB. YOU DONE AS WELL AS YOU COULD WITH THE ***** THAT IS AT THE CLUB. I HOPE THAT THE NEXT PERSON THAT COMES IN HAS THE SAME FEELING FOR THE CLUB. :thumb:

bigbadbill

There seems to be a lot of sympathy for Frail on this board, and rightly so. However, he was not "put" in any position he didn't want to be in. He could have exercised the same rights as everybody else has and left. He chose to stay, probably knowing what his conditions of employment would be. Good luck to him though, wherever he goes. One thing is pretty certain: he'll find his next job a lot easier.

Agreed John.:)

The man gave 110% to the cause, welcome back anytime in my book.

So who is coming...or has Vlad had a change of heart?

I'm praying for McGhee.

i Agree, and i hope it is McGee, i wonder if Scalla is still waiting for the call.:dribble:

Toxteth O'Grady
There is the possibility that Frail could come back in future if he does well in coaching / management elsewhere.

Kaunas? Ripo?

Good news if Frail is going IMO, A fresh start is required for him and for the "new manager".

Charlie-Brown
Kaunas? Ripo?

No I meant Dunfermline or Motherwell or somewhere like that .....

Midloth_Iain

Always sad to see a good Hearts servant go, but he is clearly not up to the manager's task. Perhaps he wants an opportunity to prove himself elsewhere, with less pressure.

Jam Tarts 1874

I don't see how Frail's leaving makes it more likely that McGhee will be the next manager. After all, in the same BBC article on Frail's leaving the Motherwell Chairman states "I had dinner with Mark the other night and, if he's leaving, he never mentioned it to me," said Boyle.

"Hearts have made no approach and I'm pretty confident of keeping Mark for next season."

I know that there is often alot of double-speak these days, but Boyle's comment seem pretty clear. If Hearts have a new management team lined up, it seems unlikely to be McGhee.

I don't see how Frail's leaving makes it more likely that McGhee will be the next manager. After all, in the same BBC article on Frail's leaving the Motherwell Chairman states "I had dinner with Mark the other night and, if he's leaving, he never mentioned it to me," said Boyle.

I know that there is often alot of double-speak these days, but Boyle's comment seem pretty clear. If Hearts have a new management team lined up, it seems unlikely to be McGhee.

I think the positive is it shows there will be a new management team there.

For some reason I just got a real feeling that it will be someone completely out of the blue.

;)

sandy hearts
I think the positive is it shows there will be a new management team there.

For some reason I just got a real feeling that it will be someone completely out of the blue.

;)

another chervenkov then?

Not the first ex player that we liked and are sad to see go (eg Robbo) but he is not currently good enough. I don't mind if it is not MM so long as it is someone that is good enough to do the job and command the respect of the players, the fans and realistically most importantly Vlad.

Guest GhostHunter

Risky Business if true.

Current "manager" let go, no new manager in place.

That's really going to sell ST's prior to 30th May....

By the way - it was missed on the MM thread..

Irish papers today reporting Brian Kerr (ex ROI manager) has left his current club, and apparantly an unnamed Scottish Club are set to appoint him this week.

Risky Business if true.

Irish papers today reporting Brian Kerr (ex ROI manager) has left his current club, and apparantly an unnamed Scottish Club are set to appoint him this week.

I'm sure certain sections of the support would love that...

Toxteth O'Grady
Risky Business if true.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0519/kerrb.html

Seems as likely as any

Bootboy100

Firstly thank you Shaggy for your services to the club in what was a very difficult time and, at times I am sure, in impossible circumstances.

However I feel its absolutley the right time for him to move on and sever ties with the club.

Whoever the new management team is, my sources tell me McGhee, they will want to have there own team at the club and I beleive that is the best way we should go.

The players will now, rightly, be ****ting themselves as if the management team isnt anything to do with Lithuania then they will have to prove themselves to someone who has no favourites. So I can see players like Clum, Miko, Chesney, Zaliukas etc etc wondering where they will play football next season.

The countdown begins now for the management team and new players to be in place before pre season starts.

Risky Business if true.

I noticed Dex, just ignored it. ;)

Good appointmant or not in your opinion?

another chervenkov then?

No. Out of the good blue.

Archived