Scotland Squad

Harry Palmer

As usual, the lack of centre half options is my main concern. Other than that, I think it's a pretty good squad although I'd have Rhodes in there for a different option up front, Bardsley for his flexibility at either full back position, wouldn't have Bannan and while Gauld has huge potential, until he's playing in the first team, I think its too soon. Strachan's done well though so I'm not going to 'cringe' because I have slightly different preferences. We shouldn't fear either Georgia or Poland.

I'll stick Carrick's name into the mix for a future cap. Carrick is improving with every game, his movement, touch, pace, passing, finishing and speed of thought are every bit as good as Fletchers and Naismiths were at his age. Stevie May is slightly ahead of Carrick but is a year or two older. I can honestly see May and Carrick going on to be Premiership players in the next 2-3 years.

I think Carrick is the biggest prospect we have at the club, based entirely on the rate he has improved from last year when he looked completely out his depth both physically and mentally. His goal against Hibs in the "party" derby seems to have been the catalyst to his progression.

Carrick has improved massively from a pretty poor level previously. I like him but he is by no means the biggest prospect at the Club.

By the way he had a nightmare for the half an hour he was on the park against Livy.

Only 3 SPFL players.

Show's just how shite our league has become.

Brazil's 23-man World Cup squad only had 4 home based players, the Dutch had 10 out of 23.

When you can get 10 times the wage for shifting 200 miles south then it's no wonder the SPL loses quality so easily.

Carrick has improved massively from a pretty poor level previously. I like him but he is by no means the biggest prospect at the Club.

By the way he had a nightmare for the half an hour he was on the park against Livy.

Irrespective of whether or not he'll make international (he has miles to go, IMO) can you point me to when Carrick was "pretty poor"?

Also, he had, by no stretch of imagination, a nightmare on Sunday.

he hardly had a nightmare. One assist and two great saves away from another two.

He's young and has a lot to learn in a very difficult position to make your mark, especially with the forwards we have. He's proved a versatile and disciplined in the different roles he's been asked to play. Very few 20 year old strikers are consistent and yes he wasn't at his best against Livy but by contrast he was brilliant for his 20 minute cameo against Cowdenbeath. I'd like to see him get more game time as Sow's partner up front as opposed to the withdrawn role he's played at Ibrox and parkhead.

Nicholson is an outstanding prospect but if Carrick continues to progress and can get himself to the 15 goal a season mark and beyond we have a gem on our hands.

Brazil's 23-man World Cup squad only had 4 home based players, the Dutch had 10 out of 23.

When you can get 10 times the wage for shifting 200 miles south then it's no wonder the SPL loses quality so easily.

Yeah but Brazil and holland weren't picking guys from the likes of Derby and Blackburn.

Yeah but Brazil and holland weren't picking guys from the likes of Derby and Blackburn.

No, but Holland were picking guys from Aston Villa and Swansea. Players leave these countries for money and we suffer particularly badly because our proximity to the cash-rich English leagues where players can play at a similar level but for more money.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

We got to France 98 with players from Blackburn, and clubs of a similar status to Derby.

Perhaps Brazil should have seen if any players from these teams were eligible to play for them and they might not have got horsed 7-1 by Germany.

We got to France 98 with players from Blackburn, and clubs of a similar status to Derby.

:laugh: Blackburn back then were a lot better than they are now. That's kind of straying from the original point anyway, that squad had plenty spl players if I remember rightly, as it was a decent standard back then.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

:laugh: Blackburn back then were a lot better than they are now. That's kind of straying from the original point anyway, that squad had plenty spl players if I remember rightly, as it was a decent standard back then.

Something to consider about that squad, is it did not have Cameron, McCann, Ritchie or Naysmith in it... It did have Scott Booth, Matt Elliot and Simon Donnelly though.

Tynecastle Valhalla

Carrick was awful for most of his sub appearance on Sunday he lost the ball at least 5 times, but ultimately got an assist which is why people pay money for players

Technically he isn't as good a prospect as some others but he has other attributes. He is a good impact sub. Keatings looks good

Sometho consider about that squad, is it did not have Cameron, McCann, Ritchie or Naysmith in it... It did have Scott Booth, Matt Elliot and Simon Donnelly though.

I was only a nipper back then but I always remember thinking Paw Broon always seemed very reluctant to pick hearts players to say the least...

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I was only a nipper back then but I always remember thinking Paw Broon always seemed very reluctant to pick hearts players to say the least...

We all used to moan about it. That year, there were some pretty excellent Scottish players coming off the back of a season where Celtic, Rangers and Hearts battled it out for a pretty sensational league campaign. On the other hand, we did have players down south doing a job at decent sides... big Duncan Ferguson would have made a difference though.

The first time we qualified for the Euro finals was in 1992. Our first qualifier was at home to Romania. There were a bunch of call-offs (notably from Rangers players) and the team which took the field included the likes of Aberdeen's Robert Connor and Tom Boyd (who was playing for Motherwell). It was also John Robertson's first cap. Scotland won 2-1 with Robbo scoring the winner.

Carrick was awful for most of his sub appearance on Sunday he lost the ball at least 5 times, but ultimately got an assist which is why people pay money for players

Technically he isn't as good a prospect as some others but he has other attributes. He is a good impact sub. Keatings looks good

Away you go. Did you see him lay a goal on a plate for Keatings? I was actually annoyed when Keatings gave it the yas instead of running over to Dale and pointing at him. He was in the right places but didn't get given the ball at crucial moments.

I do worry about his face. It's a fat mans face and you just know in 15 years he'll be about 30 stone.

Jambo 4 Ever

Is Marshall out too?

No I don't think so.

Maybe I should have said, he is more likely to get a start now. Especially after his performance last night....

No I don't think so.

Maybe I should have said, he is more likely to get a start now. Especially after his performance last night....

Marshall has been number one for the last wee while. I dont think WGS has plans to change that.

That said, I think Craig will eventually get the jersey back.

The Treasurer

Can anyone tell me who the sevco players are that are in the squad as they have had their game against Cowdenbeath postponed due to "international call-up's"

Not complaining as it means another game that they have to fit in midweek somewhere down the line.

Archived