**Phrases / Terms that need to be Retired Immediately**

Sterling Archer

My (white) mate from Texas just read your comment and called you a fool mate. Sorry. It's a southern word. Nothing to do with Compton, mean streets or anything like that.

Agree that it sounds pretty daft coming from someone from Gala though.

Your mate is confusing where the phrase originates from and who the people are trying to imitate. You're wrong when you say it has nothing to do with compton, etc. It's a bit of a staple of rap and hip hop.

There's not many kids from gala impersonating southerners.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bridge of Djoum

''Cultured'', (usually left) foot.

The words ''Hibs'' and ''Football'' sharing a sentence. Unless its, ''Hibs are shoite at football''.

Blue sky thinking.

Rangers F.C

''Hoops legend'' in any tabloid rag article. Also, ''My (insert z-list celeb problem) hell''. As in, PETER ANDRE... MY TOENAIL HELL.

Also from the tabloids..."A source last night/close to the star said''. No they didn't, that's code for we are totally making this up.

''All our customer service reps are busy'' Aye, busy being on zero hour contracts.

The Old Firm game being labelled as the biggest game in the world.

The Old Firm.

Bridge of Djoum

Your mate is confusing where the phrase originates from and who the people are trying to imitate. You're wrong when you say it has nothing to do with compton, etc. It's a bit of a staple of rap and hip hop.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=y%27all

Aye, ok chief.

Uh-huh, that's where it's from. It's not who the people are copying. If you can show me an example of youths copying southern culture then fire away, because its fairly easy to show the extent to which rap and hip hop culture has taken hold in british culture. I must've missed all those stetsons on the estates of manchester and london. Moreoever, rap and hip hop culture has appropriated the word y'all - the south doesnt own it. In short, you've completely missed the point.

But thanks from using urban dictionary as a legitimate etymological reference point.

Sterling Archer

What's this "bae" thing? Never heard of it.

Before anyone else

Before anyone else

The last few months i genuinely thought it was people just trying to be cool and lazy by saying it for a short word for babe!

"You'll spoil your food" or "You should try it first" when someone puts st to their food.

Well it is my food to spoil, so how about minding your own business.

Rabbie_Burns

Two of my least favourites which occasionally appear over in the Terrace:

(Insert random player name here) 'could do a job' or 'worth a punt'

People who use multiple question marks to show the urgency of their question.

Why do people do it???

GlasgoJambo

Ten years ago I don't recall anyone saying grassroots unless they were referring to grass and their roots. Now I hear it almost every day on the news. I'm not saying it should be retired but the overuse dissolves its sincerity.

The Internet

There's a few modern football phrases that annoy me. 'Product' is one of them, as in 'people aren't going to tune in if the product isn't worth it' or something. Just say the football's shite or good and don't use wanky phrases like product to describe a game of football.

'Progressive' - normally used when any foreign manager is hired by an English Premier League club. He'll apparently play a more 'progressive' style of football, whatever the **** that means.

tartofmidlothian

Someone has ready posted that it appears in 'As You Like It'.

Aye, because about 0.0001% of people who use it know it from there. :blink:

tartofmidlothian

Any reference to eating popcorn in relation to observing Rangers' troubles.

They don't have to they are already rednecks :lol:

michael_bolton

Speaking as a parent.

Yes. Especially when commenting on some kind of horrific child abuse.

For example, "Speaking as a parent, I find that story of hundreds of kids being systematically abused over decades at school X horrifying".

The implication being that non-parents aren't in the slightest bit bothered.

In fact, I just find parents terribly irritating in general. Especially new parents.

BBC are encouraging people to send in selfies from the commonwealth games with the hashtag #COMMONWELFIES.

Not enough Muggy's, cornette's or cornette-stupid's...

Speaking as a parent.

good shout.

See also 'do you have children? ' if you voice any opinion that maybe kids are a bit mollycoddled.

The use of medal as a Verb.

A good one, but I suspect the battle is already lost. See 'access', 'chair', 'impact' (that one still grates, and it's been in use for years) etc.

Olympic-type events have a lot to answer for, in fact: medalled, podiumed, PB-ed. Bluurrgggh.

Bridge of Djoum

Uh-huh, that's where it's from. It's not who the people are copying. If you can show me an example of youths copying southern culture then fire away, because its fairly easy to show the extent to which rap and hip hop culture has taken hold in british culture. I must've missed all those stetsons on the estates of manchester and london. Moreoever, rap and hip hop culture has appropriated the word y'all - the south doesnt own it. In short, you've completely missed the point.

But thanks from using urban dictionary as a legitimate etymological reference point.

Jeez man, lighten up eh.

Alan Johnson

The idea of 'haters', 'hating on' something, or worst of all the phrase 'haters gonna hate'.

:tlj: Get to ****.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2

King Of The Cat Cafe

At my work, people do not talk to people they "have a conversation with" them.

Also

"Sooner rather than later" should be banned sooner than er, um..

Also

"Spot on"

Wait for it......

'Award winning' or 'Famous' when describing food on a menu.

Almost every time, they do not tell you what award has been won, probably because it hasn't. It probably is not famous either.

Anyone that puts '.com' after a word. Girl at my work is constantly 'bored.com' or 'tired.com'.......**** off!

Anyone that puts '.com' after a word. Girl at my work is constantly 'bored.com' or 'tired.com'.......**** off!

get her pumped.com. That will teach her

People who saying "cracking" to mean good, as in "She's a cracking girl." or "It was a cracking night.".

Welts.

PsychocAndy

Bat shit crazy making a few appearances here lately

People who saying "cracking" to mean good, as in "She's a cracking girl." or "It was a cracking night.".

Welts.

I have/do use these 2.

I'm ashamed but cracking shout lads.

Neither a phrase or a term, but the puns in the Terrace are destroying the forum.

The mods should make one big pun thread so that people can rattle them off to their hearts content, and people like myself don't have to read them.

Cheeky, cheeky wee, sesh, wine o'clock, it'd be rude not to... all natural speak of the absolute roaster.

Also what's with this "Happy Days: Day 1" all the way up to "#day100" shite?

"Bought a Lilt earlier #happydays #day78."

:vrface: :vrface:

Jeez man, lighten up eh.

You entered the thread calling people idiots. You can't expect sunshine and gumdrops if you start off with insults. But you're wrong and you now accept that, it's good enough for me to lighten up considerably.

ta ra

Using urbandictionaty.com as a literary reference point.

:rofl: :rofl: :vrface: .

That's like getting your news updates from TheOnion.com.

IgnatiusReilly

The word artisan really does my head in. Cafes that serve 'artisan' bread with their soup and 'artisan' coffee. Not that any of these places would call themselves anything as simple as a cafe.

Calling it artisan doesn't make it any nicer and fools no one, we all know your bread still came from an industrial baker in Sighthill. Usually a sign of somewhere to be avoided.

Archived