Commie games

EH11_2NL

Glasgow can be as nice as it likes for these games, but it will just be for show. When Hearts go to Ibrox for 1st game of the season, the supporters will be treated like dirt by the police and the locals and the media will have it in for us, turning a blind eye to the sectarian crap the home support come out with.

If it wants to be treated as a grown up city, then perhaps the locals should realise we are in the 21st century, not the dark ages and cleanse itself of the bigotry and hatred that is always in the background. Allow a last game decider to be held without fear of fighting, allow a winning team to have a victory parade round the city and stop dragging religion into sport.

Spot on.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Malcolm Tucker

Glasgow can be as nice as it likes for these games, but it will just be for show. When Hearts go to Ibrox for 1st game of the season, the supporters will be treated like dirt by the police and the locals and the media will have it in for us, turning a blind eye to the sectarian crap the home support come out with.

If it wants to be treated as a grown up city, then perhaps the locals should realise we are in the 21st century, not the dark ages and cleanse itself of the bigotry and hatred that is always in the background. Allow a last game decider to be held without fear of fighting, allow a winning team to have a victory parade round the city and stop dragging religion into sport.

I have no idea whether to laugh or cornette at this.

You're basing you're thoughts on Glasgow on the occasional 90-minute spell you come through here?

I live in Glasgow, I have never been the subject of bigoted hatred. I have never seen someone called a 'taig', 'fenian' or 'hun' in anger. A lot of my friends are Old Firm fans, and they're all well-mannered football fans who are similar in their actions to fans of other Scottish clubs. Support their team, have a laugh, have a pint, go home. Not all Rangers fans hate the Pope, not all Celtic fans hate the Queen.

Rangers and Celtic have an undoubtedly horrible aspect to their clubs. A quote revolting backdrop of sectarian bullshit and I'll admit that on Old Firm matchdays, I steer well clear of Govan/Parkhead. But to tar an entire city with the same brush? Get a grip man.

I have no idea whether to laugh or cornette at this.

You're basing you're thoughts on Glasgow on the occasional 90-minute spell you come through here?

I live in Glasgow, I have never been the subject of bigoted hatred. I have never seen someone called a 'taig', 'fenian' or 'hun' in anger. A lot of my friends are Old Firm fans, and they're all well-mannered football fans who are similar in their actions to fans of other Scottish clubs. Support their team, have a laugh, have a pint, go home. Not all Rangers fans hate the Pope, not all Celtic fans hate the Queen.

Rangers and Celtic have an undoubtedly horrible aspect to their clubs. A quote revolting backdrop of sectarian bullshit and I'll admit that on Old Firm matchdays, I steer well clear of Govan/Parkhead. But to tar an entire city with the same brush? Get a grip man.

most of the real bigots don't even live in Glasgow. It's Lanarkshire, West Lothian and Ayrshire where the real loonies are.

Will likely have to drive through to the swimming at Tollcross tonight - anyone any advice on how close to the venue I can park? Areas recommended? Don't mind a bit of a walk.

Thanks in advance.

michael_bolton

Stuff like this is laughable.

Are you suggesting there are no bigots from Edinburgh? I've had season ticket seats at Tynecastle around racists and sectarian bigots. I've heard Hearts fans singing questionable songs. I've had mates injured in football related violence after we won 2-1 at Easter Rd. One of them injured quite badly.

So is it fair to say Edinburgh has to join the 21st century and rid itself of the bigotry and hatred that is always in the background?

Also, I'm not sure if you've ever been to Ibrox before. I've been there to watch Hearts loads of times and have never had a problem with the police there. Celtic Park is different, but the stewards and police at Ibrox have always been fine whenever I've been there.

The Treasurer

Back on topic.

Hannah Miley has just broken the games record in her 100m medley heat

He beat a whole country, on his own?

I know a man with a wooden leg called Smith.

Malcolm Tucker

He beat a whole country, on his own?

That's how good us Firrhill High School alumni are.

I take it the para-sports are counting for the medal table this time.

If so, the women's sprint B2 Tandem team are guaranteed a silver as they meet England in the final.

Also a chance of 7 medals in the pool tonight between the men in the 200m breast stroke and 400m free style and Hannah Miley in the 400m medley.

4 probably a realstic target.

I know a man with a wooden leg called Smith.

If I was going to give my leg a name, it would be something more original than Smith.

Loving the netball. Great sport

A few Scots through to their judo finals too, other competing for Bronze.

Yep

3 made finals already and 3 competing for bronze.

Gonna p!$$ this 33 medal target.

(maybe)

But I also think Glasgow (or at least the people in it) have an attitude that annoys me, that can be summed up with "only people in Glasgow would do that..." after something positive has happened. Just grates.

That always grates me, although Glaswegians aren't the only ones who do this.

After the tragedy of the helicopter crash in to that pub, lots of folk at my work were giving it the "Just shows how great and special us Glaswegians are with all the people helping and the flower tributes."

I'd be shocked if people from any city in the world didn't do the same.

Also the "unique Glesga banter and humour." They've had some decent comedians but the average Joe from there just seems to re-hash the same stuff they heard from Billy Connolly and that Bridges fellow and wonders why I don't laugh. It's because I've heard the same joke before, many, many times.

That always grates me, although Glaswegians aren't the only ones who do this.

After the tragedy of the helicopter crash in to that pub, lots of folk at my work were giving it the "Just shows how great and special us Glaswegians are with all the people helping and the flower tributes."

I'd be shocked if people from any city in the world didn't do the same.

Also the "unique Glesga banter and humour." They've had some decent comedians but the average Joe from there just seems to re-hash the same stuff they heard from Billy Connolly and that Bridges fellow and wonders why I don't laugh. It's because I've heard the same joke before, many, many times.

As I've said, I like Glasgow, but I agree with your post 100%

The fact wee neds went on the chore in the remains of The Clutha said it all.

I think most 'working class' city self mythologize. Whether that comes from the locals making themselves feel better, or the ruling class patronizing them to divert their attention i couldnt say. Glasgow does suffer from the 'whae's like us' culture and a degree of sanctimony.

chuck berrys hairline

What events are outside of Glasgow as I only know of one, Clay Target shooting at Barrieburn in Dundee.

Cairneyhill Jambo

What events are outside of Glasgow as I only know of one, Clay Target shooting at Barrieburn in Dundee.

Diving at the Commie Pool in Edinburgh

Strathclyde Country Park, which is just outside the city has the triathlon

The commie pool in Edinburgh has the diving

Cathkin Braes has the mountain biking.

And as you say, the clay target shooting is in dundee.

http://www.glasgow2014.com/your-games/venues

Just watching the Triathalon, Scotlands Austin sitting just behind the Brownlee's on the bike. Over a minute ahead of the rest. Fingers crossed!

And as you say, the clay target shooting is in dundee.

http://www.glasgow20...ur-games/venues

Barrie Buddon is Carnoustie, to be more precise.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I've a family attachment to Carnoustie and Dundee it ain't!

My best mate has just offered me his spare hospitality ticket for the athletics next Wednesday evening that he got through his work :jjyay:

Just had a look at the schedule and there's some finals on that evening and also the women's 400m hurdles so shall be cheering on Eilidh! :)

Barrie Buddon is Carnoustie, to be more precise.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I've a family attachment to Carnoustie and Dundee it ain't!

Specificity is the soul of narrative.

chuck berrys hairline

Talking of planning and leaving a legacy. The shooting venue is only temporary, cost 4.5 million to build and will be flattened in six months!

I think it's our first anyway.

i think we picked up gold in the 48kg women's judo

Ah, missed that.

3 contenders in the next final, think it's the men's version.

MacDonald Jardine

I think most 'working class' city self mythologize. Whether that comes from the locals making themselves feel better, or the ruling class patronizing them to divert their attention i couldnt say. Glasgow does suffer from the 'whae's like us' culture and a degree of sanctimony.

Yeah like Edinburgh isn't sanctimonious. In a different way right enough.

Yeah like Edinburgh isn't sanctimonious. In a different way right enough.

i wasn't making a comparison. every city has its foibles. i was looking at representations of 'poorer' cities.

:yas: Miley gets gold in swimming.

Brilliant to see the saltires waving proud with flower of scotland in the background. Inspirational scenes. Very proud.

Watching the Scots win Golds at judo. BBC have turned the crowd noise down way too much - not getting the atmosphere.

Watching the Scots win Golds at judo. BBC have turned the crowd noise down way too much - not getting the atmosphere.

Unionist conspiracy.

:jjyay:

Another gold in the judo, from the sister of the one who won earlier.

Viewing almost ruined by an incredibly shouty, annoying Canadian (I think?) commentator though.

Another gold in the judo, from the sister of the one who won earlier.

Viewing almost ruined by an incredibly shouty, annoying Canadian (I think?) commentator.

she's funny - trying to bring some expertise which is tough to make accesdible in martial arts and maybe gee-ed up by the noise of the crowd - the noise we're not being allowed to hear.

Yep

3 made finals already and 3 competing for bronze.

Gonna p!$$ this 33 medal target.

(maybe)

:spoton:

Weegie poster boy beat by another Scot.

From Alexandria I think.

Archived