Commie games

EH11_2NL

Tommy Wiseau

Bloody weegies, not only do they have the audacity to have some of the poorest parts of the country but then they have the balls to try and do something that will improve life there. Disgraceful.

Yours

Outraged of Morningside.

:lol:

This faux-hatred of Glasgow from grown men is a bit sad. Some lovely bits of the city, some badly deprived areas.

Good old Edinburgh, we have ghettoes on the outskirts for our riff-raff B)

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

My gripe with commonwealth games in Glasgow is more to how much money is being thrown around on facilities, but rowing facilities in the city which the council owns and has allowed to be effectively condemned for decades instead of actually doing anything about it despite efforts from the local rowing community to look to help in raising money in building new facilities. The commonwealth games is good for a city, its good for sports in the city as long as your a commonwealth game sport, otherwise your ignored. So hooray for cyclists, swimmers, Hockey players and others.

Yes its a selfish gripe as I have rowed for many years on the Clyde, but there is schools programs on the Clyde for rowing, there is teams there that represent Glasgow all over Britain and have some prestige. But the council would rather do nothing then correct facilities that some are being held up by massive wooden supports put there decades ago.

GlasgoJambo

Train to Bellgrove (from Queen St low level) or Dalmarnock (Central/Argyle St low level) which are overall about the same walk time from station to security check. Dalmarnock is the more straightforward as you can see Parkhead/Emirates as soon as you leave the station. Check if it is Central or Argyle St for Eastbound as there is a split to save platform congestion. The frequency of trains is increased and they were running well past 01:00 this morning. Either way it is about 8-10 mins on the train and 20-30 mins gentle walking, depending on volume of pedestrians and queues at gates.

There is also a shuttle bus from, I think, Buchanan St bus station which drops very close to the Security Check. That should probably take 15-20 mins with a 5 min walk again depending on queues at security.

One thing for certain, there will be pure hunners of helpers from the minute you hit a transport hub and they will be armed with best information at that time.

I would get there early and enjoy the warm-up routines. If last night was anything to go by, it will be a great night out.

Check out www.glasgow2014.com/you-games/travel-and-transport

There is also an App.

Great info, thanks much.

All roads lead to Gorgie

What is the sort of thing? Saying it's by the people, for the people? Christ. Clearly you do have a chip on your shoulder. I didnt say it before, i merely asked you if you felt like admitting it. But it's pretty clear now that you do have some problem with it despite your line about "some of my best friends are weegies."

Imagine a Glasgow councillor for the Glasgow Commonwealth Games saying that the people of Glasgow should be proud! It's ******* sickening.

You seem to be taking what I said way too seriously. Good on Glasgow getting the games and I'm sure they will benefit for many years after the games have gone. Many other parts of Scotland are crying out for investment and I hope our esteemed government will push for big events to come once more to Edinburgh and the other major cities so we can see decent investment in facilities Scotland wide. Maybe Glasgow's lord provost can show the good will of the Glasgow public by pushing for these events to come east and north. :2thumbsup:

PS I have a cousin and her family from Glasgow not weegie best friends as you put it!!!!

There are new sports facilities in Glasgow, but it goes further than that. They've got rid of some of the dingier parts of the east end, and replaced them with sports facilities, community centres, new houses etc. Cleaning up (or removing) poor areas has been shown all over the world to reduce crime. There is a better than decent chance this event will have a long-lasting positive effect on the lives of people from a poor part of our country.

Kids who have grown up in that part of Scotland have grown up in an area with high poverty and crime levels, a lack of social mobility, poor educational facilities etc.

This is a chance to change that. There will be new community facilities (and a new primary school) as well as new, improved housing in the east end. All of these are positive changes that would either never have happened or not not happened for a long time without the games.

As for the very simple comment above about the irony of having a sporting event in a place with a low life expectancy... Ermmm... I think that's the entire point... This has brought community improvement, facitilities and exposure to sport and exercise to an area which has been low on all of those things.

But it's in Glasgow, so the chip on the shoulder brigade will just snipe from the sidelines.

100% :spoton:

It's amazing how many people on here still have or pretend to have a huge chip on their shoulder about Glasgow.

I really shouldn't be surprised though, as anytime anyone mentions Glasgow the usual suspects wheel out their tired and flawed arguments about the place.

Dagger Is Back

I'm pretty cynical about these things. I think they generate income in terms of visitors and overall spending.

The real legacy for me though is in terms of leaving behind sports facilities that are available to normal people at realistic prices, and of course encouraging families and children to participate in sport at well maintained sports facilities.

I'm not sure that I've seen that legacy from say the Olympics so not sure the CG will be any different.

?500m cost? That could go a huge way if invested directly into sport and well being.

It's amazing how many people on here still have or pretend to have a huge chip on their shoulder about Glasgow.

I really shouldn't be surprised though, as anytime anyone mentions Glasgow the usual suspects wheel out their tired and flawed arguments about the place.

Glasgow's fine but don't get me started on Hamilton...

Geoff Kilpatrick

It is interesting how cynical people in Britain can be over the cost of these events. Melbourne hosted the games in 2006 and there was little concern given to the cost as Melbourne sees itself as a sporting capital of the world and the MCG got a new stand out of it. The only moaning about sport that occurs here is when the Grand Prix rolls into town but that will be sorted because any talk of Sydney bidding for the event will cause the parochial press to get behind it.

Similarly, the Gold Coast is hosting 2018 and I've seen nothing about Queenslanders moaning about the cost of hosting those games. It is an interesting contrast.

scott_jambo

Yes Hamilton is a dump.

Hate all these Glasgow overspills trying to latch on to the "am a weegie tae".

Naw your family got punted out because there was no room at the inn, don't try and claim your land back generations later.

It is interesting how cynical people in Britain can be over the cost of these events. Melbourne hosted the games in 2006 and there was little concern given to the cost as Melbourne sees itself as a sporting capital of the world and the MCG got a new stand out of it. The only moaning about sport that occurs here is when the Grand Prix rolls into town but that will be sorted because any talk of Sydney bidding for the event will cause the parochial press to get behind it.

Similarly, the Gold Coast is hosting 2018 and I've seen nothing about Queenslanders moaning about the cost of hosting those games. It is an interesting contrast.

There has been very little moaning about the cost of the CG games here - indeed very little mention of the cost at all, it's difficult to find an up-to-date estimate. Large increases in budgets as preparations have progressed (such as the security bill more than trebling to ?90million) have been reported with little comment.

Pete Seeger

Glasgows a cool city. As a neutral I think I prefer it to Edinburgh. It's a city that's designed for the people that live in it. Edinburghs designed for those who want to visit it.

Not in the slightest bit interested in the games though.

Glasgows a shit hole full stop

There are plenty hearts supporters in Glasgow and I am pretty sure they all don't live in a shit hole.

I for one certainly don't.

Yes Hamilton is a dump.

Hate all these Glasgow overspills trying to latch on to the "am a weegie tae".

Naw your family got punted out because there was no room at the inn, don't try and claim your land back generations later.

:rofl:

Was born in the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen, Glasgow post code of G73 and lived there for the first 20 years of my life, bought a flat in the East End of the city, again another Glasgow postcode of G32 before selling my flat, 8 years later and moving to a nice new estate in Hamilton, an ML3 postcode where I've been for the last 7 years.

Not trying to claim I'm still living in Glasgow or hanging on the coat tails.

Glaswegian born & bred and still work in the city, and proud of my roots too, but don't let that spoil the story. :thumbsup:

scott_jambo

Was born in the Royal Burgh of Rutherglen, Glasgow post code of G73 and lived there for the first 20 years of my life, bought a flat in the East End of the city, again another Glasgow postcode of G32 before selling my flat, 8 years later and moving to a nice new estate in Hamilton, an ML3 postcode where I've been for the last 7 years.

Glaswegian born & bred and still work in the city, and proud of my roots too, but don't let that spoil the story. :thumbsup:

Hamilton Glesgae wannabe! :laugh:

No need to justify anything, greater glasgow covers ML1-8 so you're still living in the weeg if that's what you want. Cockney's living out with the city of london would probably look askance at being told they weren't londoners despite their mauling of the english language, their taste for jellied eels and their..., errm...something about eastenders, i guess. Anyway, greater glasgow - or it's conurbation, if you will - encompasses around 1.3million people in addition to the city proper.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Glasgow

I've not heard any mention of the Games being televised on Canadian TV or radio. Virtually nothing in the papers about it either.

Guest C00l K1d

I'd call Glasgow shit to wind Floyd up but Im from Pilton and stones in glass houses and all that.

I'd call Glasgow shit to wind Floyd up but Im from Pilton and stones in glass houses and all that.

Is your bursd still living through in Glasgow??

Guest C00l K1d

Aye.

Lives on byres road (I think) so perfect location for going to uni

I like it there, Ashton Lane is decent even during the week and there's plenty restaurants etc. Depending how work goes I'd quite like to move to that part of Glasgow.

Aye.

Lives on byres road (I think) so perfect location for going to uni

I like it there, Ashton Lane is decent even during the week and there's plenty restaurants etc. Depending how work goes I'd quite like to move to that part of Glasgow.

It's a nice part of the city, good night life etc. some parts can be more expensive than others property wise, but if you shop around you will be cool.

The Real Maroonblood

I'm enjoying it already and it's not even begun. The city looks great, the weather is great and transport isn't a problem for me as I work at Glasgow Uni and walk home to Partick :-)

It's good to see parts of the city really improved, especially the Dalmarnock area. Local business' will be doing really well too. My wife runs a coffee shop in the west end and has said she's already seeing a big increase in customers.

I don't get what's not to like?

The city looks great. Well a first time for everything.

Sterling Archer

Glasgow's far better to live in than Edinburgh. I was at the bottom of Byres Rd for the last few years before moving out of the city a bit. Absolutely loved it.

Morph, you should move when you get the chance, it's good to get out of Edinburgh.

I lived in Glasgow from 89-93 when I studied through there.

Had a great time and made (and still have) a lot of good friends through there.

It is a good city, with loads to do and places to go etc. Some really good architecture as well.

But I prefer Edinburgh. It's where I was born and bred. May be parochial on my part, but each to their own. Both great cities.

tynie chris

Couldn't give a shiny shite about which wee man can run round in a circle slightly faster than another wee man or throw a stick slightly further than someone else etc.

And a shitey stick at that..

Malcolm Tucker

Glasgow's far better to live in than Edinburgh. I was at the bottom of Byres Rd for the last few years before moving out of the city a bit. Absolutely loved it.

Morph, you should move when you get the chance, it's good to get out of Edinburgh.

Spot on.

Moved here in November 2010 and still love it. I've lived on Byres Rd, in Shawlands and now live in the East End in Dennistoun. All of them walking distance/easy commute to city centre.

Still love Edinburgh and it'll always be 'home', but I don't miss living there in the slightest. I'm in a city better suited to myself.

I'm going to a few events and the Cycling and Marathons goes right by my house so I'll probably pop out for a look at that.

Glasgow is a largely great city with some horrible social problems but given I was brought up in Muirhouse I don't think Edinburgh should be getting too up itself on that count.

The atmosphere in Glasgow is terrific atm and anyone who wants to see a positive example of community participation could do a lot worse than come through and be involved.

GlasgoJambo

Spot on.

Moved here in November 2010 and still love it. I've lived on Byres Rd, in Shawlands and now live in the East End in Dennistoun. All of them walking distance/easy commute to city centre.

Still love Edinburgh and it'll always be 'home', but I don't miss living there in the slightest. I'm in a city better suited to myself.

I echo this sentiment having moved through in 2007. Live in a glorious flat looking over Queen's Park, half hour walk or 6 minute train to the city centre.

By the way a boy I play football with has taken over Redmond's Bar on Duke St. Think it's opening today or tomorrow. Should be a good addition to the area.

Malcolm Tucker

I echo this sentiment having moved through in 2007. Live in a glorious flat looking over Queen's Park, half hour walk or 6 minute train to the city centre.

By the way a boy I play football with has taken over Redmond's Bar on Duke St. Think it's opening today or tomorrow. Should be a good addition to the area.

Nice! Duke St appears to be making positive changes recently. Dennistoun Bar-b-que is meant to be great, adding to Tibo and Coia's which are good food places. The Duchess is a new bar that's just opened which looks smashing. Hopefully it takes a Finnieston-esque turn, as it certainly has the potential to do so.

I'm working throughout the games, loads of ot,4 weeks wages for 2 weeks work plus a nice wee bonus at the end.So good on the games.

After the games I could not care one jot about the benefits to Glasgow.What i do know though is that Glasgow will still piss all over Edinburgh for a night out and shopping.

Craig Gordons Gloves

One of my friends is working at the games as a volunteer and his job yesterday was to stand with the NI flag outside Parkhead. He's neither into football or politics so it was amusing telling him that he'll be a marked man for waving the red hand outside of the main stand.

Anyway - back to Glasgow, i lived there from 95-97 on the High St and then behind the School of Art, and then from 2000 for a couple of years in Hyndland. Great place with it's shiteholes like most cities. I was born in the west but brought up in Penicuik & West Linton so know Edinburgh well too and i enjoy both cities equally for different reasons :)

jamboinglasgow

Its weird, I have lived in Glasgow for 6 years of my life, I loved being at uni here, I like living here, but the reaction that others who live in Glasgow have to the commonwealth games and talking about how proud they are and how much they are almost in tears at the emotion has made me realise that I feel an outsider in the city. I just dont have the emotional bond with the city, Edinburgh I do have that bond. Dont get me wrong, I like Glasgow and annoys me when people insult it like some do on this thread. But I also think Glasgow (or at least the people in it) have an attitude that annoys me, that can be summed up with "only people in Glasgow would do that..." after something positive has happened. Just grates.

But I dont want to take it away from the Commonwealth games and Glasgow spot in the limelight, lets hope its a great games and everyone has a great time.

Malinga the Swinga

Glasgow can be as nice as it likes for these games, but it will just be for show. When Hearts go to Ibrox for 1st game of the season, the supporters will be treated like dirt by the police and the locals and the media will have it in for us, turning a blind eye to the sectarian crap the home support come out with.

If it wants to be treated as a grown up city, then perhaps the locals should realise we are in the 21st century, not the dark ages and cleanse itself of the bigotry and hatred that is always in the background. Allow a last game decider to be held without fear of fighting, allow a winning team to have a victory parade round the city and stop dragging religion into sport.

The Real Maroonblood

Glasgow can be as nice as it likes for these games, but it will just be for show. When Hearts go to Ibrox for 1st game of the season, the supporters will be treated like dirt by the police and the locals and the media will have it in for us, turning a blind eye to the sectarian crap the home support come out with.

If it wants to be treated as a grown up city, then perhaps the locals should realise we are in the 21st century, not the dark ages and cleanse itself of the bigotry and hatred that is always in the background. Allow a last game decider to be held without fear of fighting, allow a winning team to have a victory parade round the city and stop dragging religion into sport.

That post sums the place up.

rossthejambo

There's a lot more to Glasgow than Rangers and Celtic, as much as the hardcore fans would love to tell you otherwise.

Malinga the Swinga

And Billy Connolly can do one as well. Don't wish any harm to him and hope he recovers but stop portraying Glasgow as some kind of romantic place. Most people won't walk with you, most people won't go for a pint with you and no, we don't all think we are related to you either.

spot on

jamboinglasgow

There's a lot more to Glasgow than Rangers and Celtic, as much as the hardcore fans would love to tell you otherwise.

Yup, he is getting the tribal nature of the Old Firm (who drag fans in from all over the country) to sum the whole of Glasgow, which is completely wrong, yes the gruesome twosome cause problems and Strathclyde police (as they used to be known) have a reputation, but those things are only a small part of what makes Glasgow, there is a lot more good than that.

Pretty shocking attitude on this thread. Two weeks of inconvenience is a very minor price to pay to have a major sporting event in Scotland. It'll raise Scotland's profile internationally (and domestically i.e. in the UK), hopefully inspire more youngsters to become involved in sport and will regenerate one of the worst areas of the country (as any Jambo who has gone to an away game in the east end of Glasgow will attest). The standard obviously isn't Olympic levels but I think you'd be surprised at how good it is.

You seem to have missed the news. According to Glasgow officials they are not Scotland's games they are Glasgow's games. Nothing to do with the rest of us. Certainly waned my support, if that is the official weedgie line., let them get on with it.

And Billy Connolly can do one as well. Don't wish any harm to him and hope he recovers but stop portraying Glasgow as some kind of romantic place. Most people won't walk with you, most people won't go for a pint with you and no, we don't all think we are related to you either.

:facepalm:

GlasgoJambo

You seem to have missed the news. According to Glasgow officials they are not Scotland's games they are Glasgow's games. Nothing to do with the rest of us. Certainly waned my support, if that is the official weedgie line., let them get on with it.

tumblr_lwhtxb5d3F1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

The weegie accent is atrocious.

For that reason: I'm out.

Archived