Commie games

EH11_2NL

Am I the only person who doesn't give a hoot about this overrated nonsense? ?500million spent to try and relive the 'British Empire'. Would be the same if it was in Edinburgh just in case anyone thinks it's a Glasgow thing.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get the hype of it. Was never of the belief it was a major sporting event really until Glasgow got it.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Am I the only person who doesn't give a hoot about this overrated nonsense? ?500million spent to try and relive the 'British Empire'. Would be the same if it was in Edinburgh just in case anyone thinks it's a Glasgow thing.

What a disgraceful thing to post. How anyone can be against an event with Clyde as the mascot is beyond me.....

The Real Maroonblood

+1

?500million eh? At half the cost of the trams i'd say they'll bring in more money and create more happiness than, say, the trams.

Pete Seeger

+2

Couldn't give a shiny shite about which wee man can run round in a circle slightly faster than another wee man or throw a stick slightly further than someone else etc.

Utter baws.

jamboinglasgow

I know my fellow Glasgow jambos will not agree with me, but I have not got any real excitement for the Commonwealth games.

I know my fellow Glasgow jambos will not agree with me, but I have not got any real excitement for the Commonwealth games.

You are right. It is hard to get excited when you know for 2 weeks getting home from work is going to be a nightmare. 'Games lanes' someone has obviously looked at what London did and thought we better do the same forgetting its a fraction of the size.

May feel different when it starts but just now just an inconvenience

I P Knightley

The Skol Cup of Athletics.

Very much so.

How much is Salmond forking out for Bolt to appear in order to create the feel good factor ahead of the referendum?

You are right. It is hard to get excited when you know for 2 weeks getting home from work is going to be a nightmare. 'Games lanes' someone has obviously looked at what London did and thought we better do the same forgetting its a fraction of the size.

Are they really disappearing so far up their own a-holes that they're doing that?

The games lanes in London were, by and large, abandoned before the games got under way. Nothing a copper on a motorbike couldn't organise..

dobmisterdobster

How much is Salmond forking out for Bolt to appear in order to create the feel good factor ahead of the referendum?

He is receiving no appearance money. It was his choice to compete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Better call Saul

Think bolt is only doing the relay as he wanted to give other Jamaicans the chance of the 100m

Ibrahim Tall

In all honesty I couldn't give a toss about the Olympics apart from maybe 3 or 4 events so the Commonwealth Games appeals even less whether it's in Scotland or not.

Jambos_1874

Pretty shocking attitude on this thread. Two weeks of inconvenience is a very minor price to pay to have a major sporting event in Scotland. It'll raise Scotland's profile internationally (and domestically i.e. in the UK), hopefully inspire more youngsters to become involved in sport and will regenerate one of the worst areas of the country (as any Jambo who has gone to an away game in the east end of Glasgow will attest). The standard obviously isn't Olympic levels but I think you'd be surprised at how good it is.

rossthejambo

Quite looking forward to it myself, all eyes on Scotland. Showing the world (ok, the commonwealth) what we can do.

A couple of early Scottish medals will change some minds I'd imagine.

Very much so.

Are they really disappearing so far up their own a-holes that they're doing that?

The games lanes in London were, by and large, abandoned before the games got under way. Nothing a copper on a motorbike couldn't organise..

When you come off the M74 towards Hampden there are games lanes. Not sure over other parts of the city like near Celtic Park etc.

Pretty shocking attitude on this thread. Two weeks of inconvenience is a very minor price to pay to have a major sporting event in Scotland. It'll raise Scotland's profile internationally (and domestically i.e. in the UK), hopefully inspire more youngsters to become involved in sport and will regenerate one of the worst areas of the country (as any Jambo who has gone to an away game in the east end of Glasgow will attest). The standard obviously isn't Olympic levels but I think you'd be surprised at how good it is.

Not disputing that they will raise Scotland's profile and also has meant some parts of Glasgow have had much needed improvements. I am also sure there will be many local businesses who make a few bob.

Just from my opinion it's not something that really interests me and it is without a doubt going to affect people who work or live in the city.

An example or this is a friend who lives in Park circus who has to pay he council for a parking permit every year to park outside his flat. For 3 days he isn't allowed to park there and no alternative parking solution was offered. No rebate on his permit.

So yeah it might come across as selfish but that's the truth !!

Got tickets for the gymnastics.....sorry I should say the wife got tickets for the family for the gymnastics.

If I was to contract legionnaires disease the day before the event.......it wouldn't be all bad I suppose.

When you come off the M74 towards Hampden there are games lanes. Not sure over other parts of the city like near Celtic Park etc.

Aye,there are lanes on routes to venues etc.

Not too fussed about the whole thing to be perfectly honest but will take the tribe into Glasgow at the weekend to sample some atmosphere......and dad may get a pint!

scott_jambo

Olympics

World Championships

Me doing high jump in the back gaerden

Commenwealth Games.

Mrs applied for loads of tickets -we got nowt.

Great-taking kids to Annan game instead

TheMaganator

I've got a few tickets & will go. It's not just about the sport.

There should be a good buzz around Glasgow. I was in London for the Olympics which was just fantastic.

Not sure how much money has been spent but any regeneration of some of the poorer areas of Glasgow is fine by me.

Think bolt is only doing the relay as he wanted to give other Jamaicans the chance of the 100m

What

Only reason I'm going to a night at the athletics is to see him win the 100m.

Michael Jamieson better not be giving someone else a chance as well.

I normally work in the weege, but have decanted to Edinburgh for a couple of weeks. Ironically, I'll be through for the opening ceremony and women's hockey finals though :D

skinnybob72

It's a chance for the vast majority of the athletes to win something without the inconvenience of decent opposition from the USA, Russia & China getting in the way.

A glorified School Sports Day for a bargain basement half a billion quid.

PsychocAndy

There just people shit at fitba and need something to do.

I know at least one guy in the wheelchair archery, shite at fitba, and will look out for his results and if my (ex) step nephew is boxing, I'll keep an eye out for him, will watch, but that's out of loyalty.

Other than that they can all do one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

PsychocAndy

Just checked, he is boxing so I'll have to watch his fights.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I thought this was going to be a thread about a competion for those of a certain political persuasion.

?500million eh? At half the cost of the trams i'd say they'll bring in more money and create more happiness than, say, the trams.

The trams will still be here in September though.

Trying to get excited about it but finding it difficult. At least everyone's going to turn up - no Mrs Thatcher to ruin this one like she did Edinburgh 1986.

There is a major PR exercise going on to cover up the fact it isn't quite what we are being told. They are struggling to get enough volunteer workers for it. A workmates wife wanted to volunteer and was told it would be a few short shifts. Then when she went to the meeting it turned out to be several ten hour days which was impossible for her. And several others at the same meeting. Yet we'll be told by the the loyal press about the marvellous army of volunteers.

Basically they are trying to recreate the vibe of the London Olympics and that just won't happen, but the press will tell us otherwise.

Scott_HMFC1874

I have to go through the east end to get into town, absolute nightmare. Diversions for no reason whatsoever. Games start tomorrow and Parkhead is an absolute mess still.

Any remote interest I had in these tinpot games has gone after seeing how much they don't give a **** about the locals.

Scrap that "with"

kinda undermines your point. especially if you were playing ping pong at the same time...

Back at work today in Glasgow and noticed on my short walk to work from Queen Street that the place was looking spotless. Was good to see although its a shame that it takes events like this for people to show a bit of pride in their city centre.

I won't be watching th egames but i hope everthing goes well for Glasgow.

I've just noticed in the paper there are still several hundred tickets available for the opening ceremony.

Malcolm Tucker

I went to the dress rehearsal for the opening ceremony at Celtic Park last night. Wasn't sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised I must say.

Doesn't take itself too seriously but still gets all the relevant ceremony things done. Music choice for the welcoming of the nations was particularly well chosen as well.

Doubt I'll watch too many of the games themselves, but living in Glasgow I welcome the increased number of events/shows in and around the city and tourists coming to enjoy what I'm sure will be a great spectacle for those interested in the games.

michael_bolton

Athletics leaves me completely cold, not interested in the slightest. However, I think it'll be a good thing long-term for some of the people from the east end. We've already seen the clearing of some pretty run-down areas and rebuilding projects. This is a good thing.

For all that some people from Edinburgh like to sneer at these areas, they are areas of real social deprivation that should not exist in 21st century Scotland and something being done for them is a good thing.

As for the actual events themselves, couldn't care less.

Horatio Caine

Must admit I'm a wee bit peeved at the way this has taken over the BBC - the radio in particular.

I like listening to late night Radio Scotland - but the music now finishes at midnight instead of 1 am so that they can repeat a shitey programme that was first broadcast at 10 am with Cat Cubie screeching and schoolkids shouting and generally getting annoyingly excited about the whole thing.

Every programme on the radio is now all about the CG and about how great a place the Weeg is.

Archived