Commie games

EH11_2NL

michael_bolton

Must admit I'm a wee bit peeved at the way this has taken over the BBC - the radio in particular.

I like listening to late night Radio Scotland - but the music now finishes at midnight instead of 1 am so that they can repeat a shitey programme that was first broadcast at 10 am with Cat Cubie screeching and schoolkids shouting and generally getting annoyingly excited about the whole thing.

Every programme on the radio is now all about the CG and about how great a place the Weeg is.

This happens in the media everytime there is any kind of sporting event. Why does it suddenly bother you now?

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was going to be a thread about a competion for those of a certain political persuasion.

_44833689_moscow416.jpg

Horatio Caine

This happens in the media everytime there is any kind of sporting event. Why does it suddenly bother you now?

a) It's not football and

B) it's promoting the Weegie bias in our media, which really pisses me off.

michael_bolton

a) It's not football and

B) it's promoting the Weegie bias in our media, which really pisses me off.

Bitter anti-Glasgow.

Good. Go for a trip on a tram instead. :2thumbsup:

Just checked, he is boxing so I'll have to watch his fights.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

LB?

Horatio Caine

Bitter anti-Glasgow.

Good. Go for a trip on a tram instead. :2thumbsup:

I've done that. Any other suggestions??

Geoff Kilpatrick

We get to hear Danny Boy when Northern Ireland inevitably win a boxing gold.

Otherwise, meh!

All roads lead to Gorgie

Athletics and swimming are the two sports that make me want to nod off so I won't be watching much on TV. I might choose to tune in for the rugby 7s and maybe the cycle road race and time trial. The indoor cycling doesn't have the same appeal but is better than glorified jogging at least. At the end of the games Glasgow will have nearly all the best facilities and those in the east and north will have to traipse through there to use them. It would have been better to make it Scotland's games as a whole and spread the events and new venues. It seems just a Glasgow promotion to me to be honest.

The Festival will sell more tickets than the CG. Like it does every year.

Can we look forward to 24hr wall-to-wall coverage from BBC 'Scotland'?

Athletics and swimming are the two sports that make me want to nod off so I won't be watching much on TV. I might choose to tune in for the rugby 7s and maybe the cycle road race and time trial. The indoor cycling doesn't have the same appeal but is better than glorified jogging at least. At the end of the games Glasgow will have nearly all the best facilities and those in the east and north will have to traipse through there to use them. It would have been better to make it Scotland's games as a whole and spread the events and new venues. It seems just a Glasgow promotion to me to be honest.

Of course it's promoting Glasgow. It's the Glasgow Commonwealth Games.

The Festival will sell more tickets than the CG. Like it does every year.

Can we look forward to 24hr wall-to-wall coverage from BBC 'Scotland'?

The festival gets a fair bit of coverage across the BBC and the commonwealth games doesnt happen every year. The comparison is flawed, and even if you did compare the two the edinburgh festival gets daily coverage on several bbc channels.

I'm all for saying it doesnt interest people, frankly none of the sport really floats my boat, but most of the objections i'm seeing are just bitter and without any reasonable justification.

Couldn't give a hoot about the Olympics, care even less about the Commonwealth games.

Just not fussed for Athletics to be honest, it's boring as ****.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Of course it's promoting Glasgow. It's the Glasgow Commonwealth Games.

Maybe we differ but looking back at the last Olympics I saw it as the UKs and not just London's despite Bo Jo grabbing the headlines. The last Commonwealth games here seemed to be more Scotland's although the capital did arse up the costs it has to said.

Maybe we differ but looking back at the last Olympics I saw it as the UKs and not just London's despite Bo Jo grabbing the headlines. The last Commonwealth games here seemed to be more Scotland's although the capital did arse up the costs it has to said.

There were events that took place outside of London, but they were still the London Olympics, and yes the feelgood factor spread farther too. The olympics and the commonwealth games get awarded to a city, not a country however. And ofcourse the olympics feels more nationwide; it's the olympics. The commonwealth games is pretty diddy by comparison. I don't mean to be passive aggressive when i say this, but do you think the fact that you don't feel a part of this is because you dislike/resent/hate/whatever Glasgow? That's fine if you do, but i just think you have unfair expectations of what the Glasgow Commonwealth Games should mean for Glasgow and Scotland.

The Mighty Thor

Had the misfortune to be in last night around the time reporting Scotland came on, and watched thirty minutes of people trying to talk up and be positive about what is basically a shit version of inter-scholastics.

Anyone that ever goes on about the 'shortbread tin' mentality of Scotland fans would have had a field day watching Reporting Scotland followed by the one show. It was so mickey mouse and parochial I was actually cringing watching Nicola Benedetti followed the red hot chilli pipers all to a permanent background of 500 miles. Arse tightening stuff.

It's going to be a long two weeks of getting this gash rammed down our throats :(

The irony of having a sporting event in a shit-hole of a city, with one of the lowest life expectancy in the developed world isn't lost on me.

Shanks said no

Just like in 86 I have tickets for the finals of the Boxing

Really looking forward to it, in 86 I saw a young Lennox Lewis box for Canada and win gold.

Just hope Scotland do a bit better than in 86 where they had boxers in around 3 finals but lost every fight.

OmiyaHearts

I'm enjoying it already and it's not even begun. The city looks great, the weather is great and transport isn't a problem for me as I work at Glasgow Uni and walk home to Partick :-)

It's good to see parts of the city really improved, especially the Dalmarnock area. Local business' will be doing really well too. My wife runs a coffee shop in the west end and has said she's already seeing a big increase in customers.

I don't get what's not to like?

OmiyaHearts

Had the misfortune to be in last night around the time reporting Scotland came on, and watched thirty minutes of people trying to talk up and be positive about what is basically a shit version of inter-scholastics.

Anyone that ever goes on about the 'shortbread tin' mentality of Scotland fans would have had a field day watching Reporting Scotland followed by the one show. It was so mickey mouse and parochial I was actually cringing watching Nicola Benedetti followed the red hot chilli pipers all to a permanent background of 500 miles. Arse tightening stuff.

It's going to be a long two weeks of getting this gash rammed down our throats :(

The irony of having a sporting event in a shit-hole of a city, with one of the lowest life expectancy in the developed world isn't lost on me.

Shit hole

:gok:

The Mighty Thor

Shit hole

:gok:

Yip. Shit hole.

The current cosmetic changes, such as a 'superstore' in George Square are merely applying lipstick to the pig.

Once the tents are packed up and the bills start to drop the question of what structural or infrastructure changes have been made to Glasgow will permeate to the surface.

The answer? a lick of paint and a very small amount of affordable/social housing. That's it.

The hangover will outlast the party.

Malcolm Tucker

Yip. Shit hole.

The current cosmetic changes, such as a 'superstore' in George Square are merely applying lipstick to the pig.

Once the tents are packed up and the bills start to drop the question of what structural or infrastructure changes have been made to Glasgow will permeate to the surface.

The answer? a lick of paint and a very small amount of affordable/social housing. That's it.

Can't wait until they pack away the brand new Veledrome like. Or the Tollcross International Swimming Pool, also new.

Buzzing for them to destroy the fantastic new mountain bike park up at Cathkin Braes as well actually. And don't even get me started on the renovation of the Kelvingrove Lawn Bowling (and surrounding area) or the Scotstoun Athletics and Rugby complex.

I find it disgusting that this shit-hole has been able to build all these wonderful sports complex's that will do nothing but help grassroots sport in Glasgow, and Scotland as a whole. I feel physically sick.

OmiyaHearts

Yip. Shit hole.

You should try living here, it's great. I've lived in Melbourne, Tokyo and Glasgow and the dear green place is right up there with them :2thumbsup:.

I imagine anyone who thinks it's shit has hasn't spent enough time here or only been for football. I'm also aware the done thing on JKB for people to pretend they hate Glasgow so I'll pop you into that category.

Angry Haggis

Just you wait till the opening ceremony tomorrow night......

I predict Rod Stewart and Susan Boyle duet of 'I am Sailing' while riding a giant Mars bar on a sea of Iron Brew - the Mars bars then heads into the opening ceremony centre piece of a deep fat fryer - which turns said Mars bars into deep fried wonder and hopefully scalds to death Rod and Suz just as they kick into 'Do you think Im sexy..'. Great.

Also the planned (then cancelled) demolition of high rises tied into the opening ceremony - lets bring that back..and put RunRig, Wet Wet Wet and Deacon Blue upon each tower receptively then blow them to pieces in some kind of musical synchronised shit Scottish band explosion. With the Proclaimers milling about somewhere at the bottom of the high rises just before demolition.

Now thats a show.

I predict the opening ceremony will have its own thread come the time - as it will be that bad. Tartan, Nessie, bag pipes and more Tartan. Horrendous.

All roads lead to Gorgie

There were events that took place outside of London, but they were still the London Olympics, and yes the feelgood factor spread farther too. The olympics and the commonwealth games get awarded to a city, not a country however. And ofcourse the olympics feels more nationwide; it's the olympics. The commonwealth games is pretty diddy by comparison. I don't mean to be passive aggressive when i say this, but do you think the fact that you don't feel a part of this is because you dislike/resent/hate/whatever Glasgow? That's fine if you do, but i just think you have unfair expectations of what the Glasgow Commonwealth Games should mean for Glasgow and Scotland.

At no point did I say I didn't like Glasgow, only the way the way the games are being promoted. Gordon Mathieson has just been on the radio saying that these facilities are built by Glaswegians for Glaswegians. That is the sort of thing. Just to clear things up I visit Glasgow often and have relatives from the city. Cheers.

The Mighty Thor

You should try living here, it's great. I've lived in Melbourne, Tokyo and Glasgow and the dear green place is right up there with them :2thumbsup:.

I imagine anyone who thinks it's shit has hasn't spent enough time here or only been for football. I'm also aware the done thing on JKB for people to pretend they hate Glasgow so I'll pop you into that category.

Pop me into whichever category you chose chief. You can pop me on ignore too if you like.

I've spent time in Glasgow for work etc and I'm sure it has a charm for some people, however it holds nothing at all for me.

The Mighty Thor

Can't wait until they pack away the brand new Veledrome like. Or the Tollcross International Swimming Pool, also new.

Buzzing for them to destroy the fantastic new mountain bike park up at Cathkin Braes as well actually. And don't even get me started on the renovation of the Kelvingrove Lawn Bowling (and surrounding area) or the Scotstoun Athletics and Rugby complex.

I find it disgusting that this shit-hole has been able to build all these wonderful sports complex's that will do nothing but help grassroots sport in Glasgow, and Scotland as a whole. I feel physically sick.

A new mountain bike park and an improved lawn bowling green? I can barely contain my excitement.

Time will tell on the longer term benefits to the community/city/country however i suspect outside of a few self interest 'sporting bodies' not one shiny shite will be given come 4th August.

All IMHO of course. :thumb:

Malcolm Tucker

A new mountain bike park and an improved lawn bowling green? I can barely contain my excitement.

Time will tell on the longer term benefits to the community/city/country however i suspect outside of a few self interest 'sporting bodies' not one shiny shite will be given come 4th August.

All IMHO of course. :thumb:

:cornette:

Just choose to ignore the Velodrome, swimming pool and athletics/rugby centre there aye?

:lol:

Just admit that you're seething about Glasgow doing a better job of the Commonwealth Games than Edinburgh did and be done with it. :thumb:

scott_jambo

Just choose to ignore the Velodrome, swimming pool and athletics/rugby centre there aye?

Just admit that you're seething about Glasgow doing a better job of the Commonwealth Games than Edinburgh did and be done with it. :thumb:

Edinburgh's efforts were pathetic.

I think Livingston would have done a better job than Edinburgh did at the Commonwealth Games!

Personally, not a huge CG fan but I will probably watch the main track & field events and perhaps some of the boxing. I do feel a bit meh about the whole thing but I think that it is good for Scotland to be the centre of attention for a bit (change from London) and there are positive changes happening to the East End of Glasgow as a result of the CG.

Edinburgh was stymied by loss of sponsorship because of a huge boycott by over half of the competing countries because of the Tory government's policy on South Africa / Apartheid. The CG in 1970 were a huge success (leading to the nickname 'The Friendly Games')

The budget for the Edinburgh games in 1986 was ?18m.

The budget for the Glasgow games in 2014 is .... Well it's pretty difficult to get an accurate figure, but seems to be about ?500m.

The Mighty Thor

Oh aye i'm shaking with rage that the Scottish Government have ploughed huge amounts of cash into Glasgow when Meadowbank had to have temporary meccano stands in 1986. I've never gotten over it. :(

what's the legacy plan again?

At no point did I say I didn't like Glasgow, only the way the way the games are being promoted. Gordon Mathieson has just been on the radio saying that these facilities are built by Glaswegians for Glaswegians. That is the sort of thing. Just to clear things up I visit Glasgow often and have relatives from the city. Cheers.

What is the sort of thing? Saying it's by the people, for the people? Christ. Clearly you do have a chip on your shoulder. I didnt say it before, i merely asked you if you felt like admitting it. But it's pretty clear now that you do have some problem with it despite your line about "some of my best friends are weegies."

Imagine a Glasgow councillor for the Glasgow Commonwealth Games saying that the people of Glasgow should be proud! It's ******* sickening.

Stuart Lyon

For you youngsters who can only remember the disappointing games in Edinburgh in 1986 let me remind you of the very successful Commie Games held in Edinburgh in 1970! That's what Meadowbank was built for but sadly that facility has suffered from a lack of investment over the years.

I had a ticket for the final day in 1970 but my mate got his bird pregnant and they decided to get married that day with me as his best man. Haven't let him forget it.

michael_bolton

There are new sports facilities in Glasgow, but it goes further than that. They've got rid of some of the dingier parts of the east end, and replaced them with sports facilities, community centres, new houses etc. Cleaning up (or removing) poor areas has been shown all over the world to reduce crime. There is a better than decent chance this event will have a long-lasting positive effect on the lives of people from a poor part of our country.

Kids who have grown up in that part of Scotland have grown up in an area with high poverty and crime levels, a lack of social mobility, poor educational facilities etc.

This is a chance to change that. There will be new community facilities (and a new primary school) as well as new, improved housing in the east end. All of these are positive changes that would either never have happened or not not happened for a long time without the games.

As for the very simple comment above about the irony of having a sporting event in a place with a low life expectancy... Ermmm... I think that's the entire point... This has brought community improvement, facitilities and exposure to sport and exercise to an area which has been low on all of those things.

But it's in Glasgow, so the chip on the shoulder brigade will just snipe from the sidelines.

Craig Gordons Gloves

There are new sports facilities in Glasgow, but it goes further than that. They've got rid of some of the dingier parts of the east end, and replaced them with sports facilities, community centres, new houses etc. Cleaning up (or removing) poor areas has been shown all over the world to reduce crime. There is a better than decent chance this event will have a long-lasting positive effect on the lives of people from a poor part of our country.

Kids who have grown up in that part of Scotland have grown up in an area with high poverty and crime levels, a lack of social mobility, poor educational facilities etc.

This is a chance to change that. There will be new community facilities (and a new primary school) as well as new, improved housing in the east end. All of these are positive changes that would either never have happened or not not happened for a long time without the games.

As for the very simple comment above about the irony of having a sporting event in a place with a low life expectancy... Ermmm... I think that's the entire point... This has brought community improvement, facitilities and exposure to sport and exercise to an area which has been low on all of those things.

But it's in Glasgow, so the chip on the shoulder brigade will just snipe from the sidelines.

Bloody weegies, not only do they have the audacity to have some of the poorest parts of the country but then they have the balls to try and do something that will improve life there. Disgraceful.

Yours

Outraged of Morningside.

Hmmm. Spending hundreds of millions on infrastructure to improve quality of life and bring jobs and investment.

That sounds familiar.

GlasgoJambo

Bloody weegies, not only do they have the audacity to have some of the poorest parts of the country but then they have the balls to try and do something that will improve life there. Disgraceful.

Yours

Outraged of Morningside.

Franco Fascione

The sporting facilities in Scotland have been poor for a long time. Any upgrades or additional facilities should be welcomed and might help improve the health of our nation - which is piss poor. For proof of this you only have to go to a football stadium and observe the amount of fat folk spilling over the side of their seat.

We have an obsession with alcohol and crap food in this country.

Why do there need to be "Games" of some sort to try to improve people's lives? You could just build decent houses...

The games themselves have an estimated cost of ?500m. The infrastructure projects cost around ?1.25b and will hopefully improve Glasgow for years to come. Time will tell whether it's worth it, but Glasgow was crying out for some investment and attention. I have a feeling it will be really good games leaving the cynics on here with egg on their face.

Thunderstruck

Like an earlier poster, I went (was dragged along) to last night's rehearsal. I was sceptical that it would be kitschy but was pleasantly surprised. Entertaining, honest and, in bits, moving.

The organisation around Parkhead was well done from the extra trains and buses to the hundreds of volunteers and security staff. They were still hard at work well after midnight to help people back to trains, buses or even to walk to George Square.

The mobilisation of public transport more than cancels the minor inconvenience of closed roads. Many months of work in the Erskine Bridge caused much more disruption and passed almost without demur.

It was only a rehearsal but, even so, there was a buzz about the place - even before getting on the train in the West End.

I would expect that a visit just to sample the street atmosphere or the night life might be worthwhile. Glasgow does have "previous" when it comes to celebrating big events. I can remember Bayern v St ?tienne in 1976 (Allez les Verts) - one long party with an emergency extension of licensing hours. General revelry, enjoyed by all save for some local louts at a table in Buchanan St drinking lager with an occasional pause to shout "Rainjurs". There's always some!

GlasgoJambo

Like an earlier poster, I went (was dragged along) to last night's rehearsal. I was sceptical that it would be kitschy but was pleasantly surprised. Entertaining, honest and, in bits, moving.

The organisation around Parkhead was well done from the extra trains and buses to the hundreds of volunteers and security staff. They were still hard at work well after midnight to help people back to trains, buses or even to walk to George Square.

Thunder, I've friends coming down tomorrow for the opening ceremony. What's the best way of getting to Parkhead from the city centre - and what do you envisage travel time to be?

Wait till you see the cans of irn bru, and I'm not joking......

I generally like this kind of stuff, but I get annoyed when it always comes back to tartan and bagpipes. Surely we can do better than that??

I predict Rod Stewart and Susan Boyle duet of 'I am Sailing' while riding a giant Mars bar on a sea of Iron Brew - the Mars bars then heads into the opening ceremony centre piece of a deep fat fryer - which turns said Mars bars into deep fried wonder and hopefully scalds to death Rod and Suz just as they kick into 'Do you think Im sexy..'. Great.

Also the planned (then cancelled) demolition of high rises tied into the opening ceremony - lets bring that back..and put RunRig, Wet Wet Wet and Deacon Blue upon each tower receptively then blow them to pieces in some kind of musical synchronised shit Scottish band explosion. With the Proclaimers milling about somewhere at the bottom of the high rises just before demolition.

Now thats a show.

I predict the opening ceremony will have its own thread come the time - as it will be that bad. Tartan, Nessie, bag pipes and more Tartan. Horrendous.

Now thats a show.

:what: No Whisky or Haggis then???

Wait, are people annoyed that Glasgow plays on the tartan and shortbread too much when selling itself to tourists? And presumably they either live in or have been to Edinburgh, right? Edinburgh.

Deary me.

Thunderstruck

Thunder, I've friends coming down tomorrow for the opening ceremony. What's the best way of getting to Parkhead from the city centre - and what do you envisage travel time to be?

Train to Bellgrove (from Queen St low level) or Dalmarnock (Central/Argyle St low level) which are overall about the same walk time from station to security check. Dalmarnock is the more straightforward as you can see Parkhead/Emirates as soon as you leave the station. Check if it is Central or Argyle St for Eastbound as there is a split to save platform congestion. The frequency of trains is increased and they were running well past 01:00 this morning. Either way it is about 8-10 mins on the train and 20-30 mins gentle walking, depending on volume of pedestrians and queues at gates.

There is also a shuttle bus from, I think, Buchanan St bus station which drops very close to the Security Check. That should probably take 15-20 mins with a 5 min walk again depending on queues at security.

One thing for certain, there will be pure hunners of helpers from the minute you hit a transport hub and they will be armed with best information at that time.

I would get there early and enjoy the warm-up routines. If last night was anything to go by, it will be a great night out.

Check out www.glasgow2014.com/you-games/travel-and-transport

There is also an App.

Archived