USA v Portugal

NewYorkJambo

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted portugal to win this to give ghana a chance to get through, but USA seem almost as endearing

ArcticJambo

The US are winning this for one reason.

They want it more.

They believe it.

Did you see the pathetic reaction of the 4th official when the Dempsey substitution was taking place ?

The incoming player went on to the park about one yard whilst Dempsey was just about to step off the park and he started waving his arms with that huge subs board still in them trying to stop the player going on the pitch....I am all for rules but his pathetic reaction just showed you what the officials have in terms of common sense.. nothing.

Maiden Gorgie

Nooooooooooooooo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Chad Sexington

Great goal. Gutting for the USA.

Another fantastic game. What a World Cup this has been.

Harry Palmer

Germany and USA to play out a dull 0-0 draw to send them both through? :ninja:

Rand Paul's Ray Bans

not even mad - great goal. fair play.

this world cup just keeps on giving.

jamboinglasgow

So it sets it up that that both Germany and USA only require a point to be certain of going through to the next round and they are playing each other next...

Chaka Demus & pliers

4 mins of time to be added. US make a sub right on 90, ref decides to make it 5 mins added.

Goal on 94.34.

The Great Khali

I was waiting on Portugal btts for 230, but my mate had USA btts for 450. Even I'm gutted for him. That was brutal :lol:

Germany and USA to play out a dull 0-0 draw to send them both through? :ninja:

nah, 4-4 draw, Klose and Dempsey hat-tricks to break all kinds of records.

This world cup has so far been one we all hoped for given its location.

I hoped, but had little faith, it would produce but the first 11 days have seen it all....goals, last minute winners and equalisers, the rise of the minnow and the end of an era.

Lets hope the next set of matches delivers

Oh and Philip Neville trying to give goalkeeping advice........shut up Phil you can barely give advice to an outfield player never mind a goalkeeper

Overall, great performance from the US- controlled the game and seemed unaffected by te conditions.

Got lucky against Ghana and were unlucky here. Still very much alive in a group in which I gave them no chance.

This world cup has so far been one we all hoped for given its location.

It's been a fantastic tournament so far.

:toasting:

Thunderstruck

Unlucky USA.

I like their attitude - maybe not the most skilful but very well organised. They showed great effort, bravery and determination. Best of all though is the absence of histrionics, cynicism and cheating - they just get on with the game.

Unlike some of the more fancied teams, you know you are seeing everything they have to give.

Watt-Zeefuik

Gah, that was a gut punch. If you'd given me a 2-2 draw before the game I'd have thought about it a bit but probably taken it, but hate losing the two points at the whistle like that.

Aside from an utterly horrific first 10 minutes and a mental flub by Bradley there in the 95th, thought we were definitely the better team. I think the heat did affect Portugal significantly -- they started both halves very brightly but slowed down very quickly. We must have had a half dozen near misses on goal in the first half, not including Bradley's missed sitter. No clue what's wrong with Bradley -- was expecting him to be dominant, and he's been mostly average, with a few really bad flubs. He was hurt in the spring, and maybe he's not fully back from that yet.

Ronaldo is clearly nowhere near 100%, as his finishes were horrifically off and he was never consistently beating US defenders that are recently good but certainly nowhere near world class. That last cross was agonizingly perfect, though.

Something you didn't used to be able to say -- after two WC games, the US have scored highlight-worthy goals. At the very least, we're no longer a bunch of highly fit athletes running around with no passing or finishing touch.

Watt-Zeefuik

The video is so wanna-be European it's ridiculous.

Trying to replicate ''ultras'' big time. Stick to your good old USA USA plz yanks.

Also, wanted to get back to this. Not sure what's wanna-be European about other than scarves-over-heads. US versions of stupid costumes, face paint, drum cadences, chants (google "rock chalk jayhawk" or "go to hell carolina" sometime), and particularly at international events, flag crap everywhere are older than color television.

Chant may be cringe-worthy, but its origins couldn't be less Euro-wannabe: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/the-improbable-story-of-how-the-trendiest-chant-in-sports-began-040228934.html

Ron Burgundy

Stayed up to watch that. Well pissed off. It's not really right just how much I hate Ronaldo.

Guest C00l K1d

Also, wanted to get back to this. Not sure what's wanna-be European about other than scarves-over-heads. US versions of stupid costumes, face paint, drum cadences, chants (google "rock chalk jayhawk" or "go to hell carolina" sometime), and particularly at international events, flag crap everywhere are older than color television.

Chant may be cringe-worthy, but its origins couldn't be less Euro-wannabe: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/the-improbable-story-of-how-the-trendiest-chant-in-sports-began-040228934.html

Its nothing to do with the content of the chant itself, but the style of the chant has been sung in Europe for fecking yonks. See the Celtic Celtic come on you boys in green song.

Then you've got the capo who kicks it all off.

Then there's smoke bombs, a drum, synchronised clapping by large sections of the support, a mass, bouncy and the felly who's meant to be menacing with the scarf over his face.

I'm not sure how it can be uniquely american as when you turn the volume down to mask the accent they look like someone trying to make an ultras group. :laugh:

I was more talking about the video but the chant isn't really "uniquely american either" other than the words :laugh:

I thought the Americans were great. They play with similar athleticism and "never-give-up" attitude as the Aussies, but they have some skill to go along with it. A very watch-able team.

What a cross for the equaliser. If someone like Beslija had done that for Hearts we'd have been talking about it for years afterwards.....oh wait......

Archived