Time to bring back skacel

bathgatejt

The Real Maroonblood

I don't think anyone is saying he could not do a job, or does not have the legs (though supposedly, that was John Murray's analysis when McGlynn was here). I do actually think he could be a decent signing, depending on wages, etc.

What some folk are saying, though, is they don't understand the pant wetting going on, and the suggestion that people will base their decison on buying a season ticket on whether he signs or not (which, if they are people out there like that, I find bizzare - unless they are ten).

What I also found, more amusing than anything else, is the suggestion that Budge should interfere and put her foot down, something many criticsed Vlad for doing (and which, if he did not, we would not have seen him for the second time).

I can only assume we want owner interference, if we agree with the decision, or the signing Ann wants to make.

If he does not sign, I will not throw a strip. Where I would be on the disappointment scale, would depend on who we do sign.

That sums it up for me.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jambos are go!

Given that its highly likely that Rudi will recoup much more than his wages in season tickets and other income signing him would be a good business decision even its only to play a cameo role.

bobskeldon

I don't think anyone is saying he could not do a job, or does not have the legs (though supposedly, that was John Murray's analysis when McGlynn was here). I do actually think he could be a decent signing, depending on wages, etc.

What some folk are saying, though, is they don't understand the pant wetting going on, and the suggestion that people will base their decison on buying a season ticket on whether he signs or not (which, if they are people out there like that, I find bizzare - unless they are ten).

What I also found, more amusing than anything else, is the suggestion that Budge should interfere and put her foot down, something many criticsed Vlad for doing (and which, if he did not, we would not have seen him for the second time).

I can only assume we want owner interference, if we agree with the decision, or the signing Ann wants to make.

If he does not sign, I will not throw a strip. Where I would be on the disappointment scale, would depend on who we do sign.

The issue for me is not about season tickets etc, that's pish! The only issue for me is signing Skacel (at the right money) for both footballing AND commercial reasons is absolutely a no-brainer! If CL and RN choose not to sign him and then sign someone who can bring the same footballing qualities, 'feelgood' factor AND commercial revenue to the club, fantastic! However, I am unsure who/where this player is within our budget! If he is not out there or we can't afford him (or even worse Skacel signs for e.g. Rangers) then not signing Skacel is mis-management! Does it mean I will not renew, don't be stupid! Does it mean CL and RN won't have my backing, don't be stupid.

In conclusion, If CL and RN sign someone 'better' (ability and box office), I don't wan't Skacel. If they don't, it's a massive own goal so early in their

tenure at Hearts.

The Real Maroonblood

I'm looking forward to the World Cup to take my mind of things.

Jamboscanbevicius

I love Rudi as much as the next man, and my heart says we should sign him. However I have not seen him kick a ball in a long, long time. I know he (looks like he) is in decent shape, but he has been put of the game for a long time for someone that age. So I will accept the decision of those who have seen him at Riccarton like Robbie.

Would love to see him involved in the club in some capacity. Even as a coach or ambassador type role.

There used to be several ITK sorts on here who claimed to speak to Rudi. Has anyone asked him what he is doing? Wants to do?

There used to be several ITK sorts on here who claimed to speak to Rudi. Has anyone asked him what he is doing? Wants to do?

Yes, on page one - he's not coming.

This has led to grown men throwing tantrums.

It's perhaps time for people to read...........instead of bashing their keyboards! We as a club are committed to developing young talent that's good enough to getting us out of the championship and then make a decent attempt at getting the club back to the top half of the premiership. Craig Levein is masterminding this, like it or not, that's what's happening.

Yes we may sign a couple of experienced players to help the "project", if CL/RN/SC see a role for Skacel I'm certain they'll speak to him but I doubt he's that high on the priority list right now - he doesn't appear to have a host of clubs chasing his signature so I'd rather we tied up the players they want first.

The other small problem is we cannot actually register any players right now!

bobskeldon

Yes, on page one - he's not coming.

This has led to grown men throwing tantrums.

Grown man, yes! Throwing a tantrum, behave yourself!

The Levein apologists are queuing up to try to sweep this club legend snub under the carpet.

The Great Khali

The Levein apologists are queuing up to try to sweep this club legend snub under the carpet.

5bs9c4.jpg

jack D and coke

Correct.

Every proper Hearts man knows this is a blunder.

Francis Albert

Ah well, so I am not a "proper Hearts man".

I guess Hibs are looking for supporters...

Ivan Drago

This thread is like a One Direction concert where hormonal, screeching wee lassies have told their favourite non-threatening haircut can't perform.

Hilarious and tragic in equal measures.

Few posters on this thread remind me of the stalker from Alan Partridge

jack D and coke
Ah well, so I am not a "proper Hearts man".

I guess Hibs are looking for supporters...

You don think this is a blunder? You think Yaya Toure is going to appear at tynecastle next season? Just what market do you think we are scouting in? We are looking at offering players in the hundreds of pounds these days and people are suggesting not signing up a player who we know can do the business for us is sensible management from Levein and Neilson? It's not it's a bad call I reckon and I've yet to speak to a single hearts fan who thinks otherwise.

I'm not in the throw the toys out the pram mode but it's a big blunder IMO.

"Levein apologists" :facepalm::cornette:

Look, I would love to see Rudi back as much as the next guy but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen so we move on.

After The Watershed

It seriously concerns me that people think Rudi arriving would sell season tickets. After the year we've had? I'd like to think that everyone who can afford to buy a season ticket will do so.

I'm going to be controversial here

I would like Rudi back

But I understand that he may not be a player that fits with what the management team want.

We are not guaranteed promotion with Rudi ad we are not guaranteed to stay down without him.

Wow, a measured post

jack D and coke
It seriously concerns me that people think Rudi arriving would sell season tickets. After the year we've had? I'd like to think that everyone who can afford to buy a season ticket will do so.

I think it would just help with a feel factor. Levein hasn't done anything since his truly tragic management of Scotland, much more about his pig headedness than ability I may add and for some people it's still fresh in the mind. He's came in here and was fairly rough which in some cases needed to be done but there also needs to be some winning over of fans too and Skacel would do that. Would he sell ST's? Difficult to say but it wouldn't do any harm that's for sure.

I think it would just help with a feel factor. Levein hasn't done anything since his truly tragic management of Scotland, much more about his pig headedness than ability I may add and for some people it's still fresh in the mind.

I may be picking this up wrong, so apologies if so, but are you insinuating that Hearts fans wouldn't buy a season ticket for Hearts, because Levein wasn't very good as Scotland manager?

Cause if so, that says quite a lot about them is all.

jack D and coke

I may be picking this up wrong, so apologies if so, but are you insinuating that Hearts fans wouldn't buy a season ticket for Hearts, because Levein wasn't very good as Scotland manager?

Cause if so, that says quite a lot about them is all.

Not what I'm saying at all mate I just meant Levein had a torrid time as Scotland boss, through his own arrogance as much as anything, and he could do his reputation some good here. I accept he's very single minded but I hoped he would drop the know it all attitude he seemed to adopt when in charge of Scotland. It seems he doesn't want Rudi so we move on I guess but it feels like a mistake to me. I only want Hearts to do well and I support the whole new team I just feel we could give the fans something positive by signing Rudi up. Rumours of reserve Dundee UTD or Partick Thistle and St Mirren players isn't doing it for me when we have a legend desperate to get the jersey back on.

In reality, the only way we will know if not signing Skacel is a mistake is if he signs for a Scottish team in our league or above and he tears it up. I'm of the opinion that's not very likely to happen.

Not what I'm saying at all mate I just meant Levein had a torrid time as Scotland boss, through his own arrogance as much as anything, and he could do his reputation some good here. I accept he's very single minded but I hoped he would drop the know it all attitude he seemed to adopt when in charge of Scotland. It seems he doesn't want Rudi so we move on I guess but it feels like a mistake to me. I only want Hearts to do well and I support the whole new team I just feel we could give the fans something positive by signing Rudi up. Rumours of reserve Dundee UTD or Partick Thistle and St Mirren players isn't doing it for me when we have a legend desperate to get the jersey back on.

I actually think that signing a player just because of emotional reasons and because fans insist on it could damage his reputation. It would suggest he does not have the courage or strength to follow his own convictions (whether they are right or not).

I agree that he can be stubborn, but so can us fans, it seems.

bobskeldon

Who is suggesting signing Skacel for emotional reasons? Certainly not me, he is as good a footballer as we are going to get! If CL/RN can get someone as good but 10 years younger fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We_are_the_Hearts

Who is suggesting signing Skacel for emotional reasons? Certainly not me, he is as good a footballer as we are going to get! If CL/RN can get someone as good but 10 years younger fantastic!

Well said Bob

jack D and coke
In reality, the only way we will know if not signing Skacel is a mistake is if he signs for a Scottish team in our league or above and he tears it up. I'm of the opinion that's not very likely to happen.

True. But it's never really happened anywhere else for Rudi has it. It just seems to work here and I'm not suggesting signing him out of anything other than his ability although he is defintely a face of Hearts and does our PR nothing but good. He would get into double figures with ease IMO in the championship and he always weighed in with big goals in the big games. The sign of a player and not something we've had a lot of over the years.

True. But it's never really happened anywhere else for Rudi has it. It just seems to work here and I'm not suggesting signing him out of anything other than his ability although he is defintely a face of Hearts and does our PR nothing but good. He would get into double figures with ease IMO in the championship and he always weighed in with big goals in the big games. The sign of a player and not something we've had a lot of over the years.

No one is going to complain if he does sign. A lot of people, myself included, just think that a 35 year old, not known as Mr Fitness, who hasn't played a single minute of competitive football for over a year, might not be the way to go - even if loads of middle aged men do fancy him.

Francis Albert

You don think this is a blunder? You think Yaya Toure is going to appear at tynecastle next season? Just what market do you think we are scouting in? We are looking at offering players in the hundreds of pounds these days and people are suggesting not signing up a player who we know can do the business for us is sensible management from Levein and Neilson? It's not it's a bad call I reckon and I've yet to speak to a single hearts fan who thinks otherwise.

I'm not in the throw the toys out the pram mode but it's a big blunder IMO.

I think it is just as likely to be a blunder to sign him. The Yaya Toure point is just silly. It's just my opinion, but there is a rose tinted memory of Rudi - he had some great games and produced the goods in big games in particular. but there were also many games

when he contributed little or nothing. I suspect the proportion of the latter would increase rather than reduce. We need to get results week after week, grinding them out where necessary, next season in often vey unglamorous surroundings

against sides who will be physically strong if not the most talented. Maybe Rudi would blossom again but I'd put the odds against it.

I'm fairly certain you don't know how good the footballers are that CL/RN are looking at. I'm also fairly certain both know how good Skacel is and will have considered the merits of signing him.

If as it seems they've decided against I'm sure they have an alternative. I'm sure they have a plan.

Geoff Kilpatrick

My radical thought is that the Levein-Neilson axis gets judged on their results on the pitch. If they are confident of achieving promotion sans Rudi, that's fine, because that is the benchmark I will be measuring them against.

scott_jambo

Skacel will score at least 23 goals against Cowdenbeath alone over the season. I look forward to seeing who we bring in that can do this.

Jeremy Goss

I'm behind whatever decision Neilson and Levein make but can't help but think a bit of Levein's pig-headedness is involved here. Providing his wage demands are not too high (which i understand they aren't), then this seems a no brainer. Would hate to think Levein is refusing to offer a deal because its a "popular choice".

bobskeldon

I'm fairly certain you don't know how good the footballers are that CL/RN are looking at. I'm also fairly certain both know how good Skacel is and will have considered the merits of signing him.

If as it seems they've decided against I'm sure they have an alternative. I'm sure they have a plan.

Correct, I have no idea who CL/RN are "looking at" and if they are "looking at" players who are as good, but younger and cheaper than Skacel then CL/RN are obviously "looking at" the right players. However, I would be very surprised if they are "looking at" players who can replicate the total package that Skacel brought to Tynecastle not once but twice!

The same arguements were being banded about the last time, he is older, slower, lets not get the rose tinted glasses out etc etc

AND he was a revelation second time round!

Would hate to think Levein is refusing to offer a deal because its a "popular choice".

Then don't, because you've literally just made it up in your head.

Correct, I have no idea who CL/RN are "looking at" and if they are "looking at" players who are as good, but younger and cheaper than Skacel then CL/RN are obviously "looking at" the right players. However, I would be very surprised if they are "looking at" players who can replicate the total package that Skacel brought to Tynecastle not once but twice!

The same arguements were being banded about the last time, he is older, slower, lets not get the rose tinted glasses out etc etc

AND he was a revelation second time round!

You can add quotes to "looking at" as much as you like, Bob.

As for the same arguments, I'm fairly certain I've said on this thread I'd sign him it's just that I'd not lose my mind if Hearts choose not to.

As an aside, wasn't it you that panned Paterson last season? Whilst he was doing well? If so, I'm glad it's CL/RN and not BS choosing. :thumbsup:

Apologies if I've got my usernames mixed up.

After The Watershed

I think it would just help with a feel factor. Levein hasn't done anything since his truly tragic management of Scotland, much more about his pig headedness than ability I may add and for some people it's still fresh in the mind. He's came in here and was fairly rough which in some cases needed to be done but there also needs to be some winning over of fans too and Skacel would do that. Would he sell ST's? Difficult to say but it wouldn't do any harm that's for sure.

Sorry but I have the feel good factor. I got it when it was confirmed we are now safe and Anne came in. I don't need Rudi, Stevo or even Levien to change that.

As for winning the fans over I don't think he needs to. I'll judge the management on what happens on the park not who we sign. I will judge the players on how they perform for us and not who they have played for or how they preformed for other clubs.

I can only assume we want owner interference, if we agree with the decision, or the signing, Ann wants to make.

Occasionally, just occasionally, the person at the top of the business hierarchy will overrule those under them. It happens in all business, so deal with it.

As for wanting owner interference, not at tall, I agree about Vlad, he was off the scale batshit crazy, as true an egomaniac as you could get, Burley sacking, faxing team-sheets, leaving players out etc etc

Now that's what I would call proper interfering. Somehow I don't think we will have to worry about Anne on that front.

Signing Rudi is an absolute no brainer in every way, as most Jambos are aware :-)

C'mon Anne, get Craigy Boy in the office for a heart to heart, just don't do it Vlad style!

bobskeldon

You can add quotes to "looking at" as much as you like, Bob.

As for the same arguments, I'm fairly certain I've said on this thread I'd sign him it's just that I'd not lose my mind if Hearts choose not to.

As an aside, wasn't it you that panned Paterson last season? Whilst he was doing well? If so, I'm glad it's CL/RN and not BS choosing. :thumbsup:

Apologies if I've got my usernames mixed up.

No apologies necessary, username is correct, I do not think CP will ever be a player but please don't use CP and RS in the same post!

I won't lose my mind if they don't sign Skacel either but I might still think it's a huge mistake! (unless of course they are looking at a player who can bring Skacel's attributes on and off the park).

Geoff Kilpatrick

Occasionally, just occasionally, the person at the top of the business hierarchy will overrule those under them. It happens in all business, so deal with it.

As for wanting owner interference, not at tall, I agree about Vlad, he was off the scale batshit crazy, as true an egomaniac as you could get, Burley sacking, faxing team-sheets, leaving players out etc etc

Now that's what I would call proper interfering. Somehow I don't think we will have to worry about Anne on that front.

Signing Rudi is an absolute no brainer in every way, as most Jambos are aware :-)

C'mon Anne, get Craigy Boy in the office for a heart to heart, just don't do it Vlad style!

Aye, and Levein turns round and says that you are interfering in my job so find someone else! Top idea.

bobskeldon

As much as I think Skacel should be signed, it needs to be CL/RN who sign him not anyone else!

Given that its highly likely that Rudi will recoup much more than his wages in season tickets and other income signing him would be a good business decision even its only to play a cameo role.

His name would be on the back of lots of the new shirts.

Boost for the club and the fans.

And Clubs have a goal keeper coach, striker coach, why not Rudi a midfield coach at Tynecastle giving our youngsters the benefit of his skills and knowledge.

beyond belief.

We are not out of admin and it seems some fans dont get it.

If its not "lets sign players on top league wages even though we were relegated" (jamma thread) then its "come on Ann overule the football manager and do what you want" (rudi thread)

Ann Budge never said that we arent trying to win the championship next year merely that our financial well being has to be the priority.

We made huge mistakes to end up here. Lets not repeat them.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I can't believe some of the things I've read on this thread. I've not seen anything like it for any other player we've had recently.

Our run of form at the end of the season was purely down to there being no pressure on the team, it was nothing to do with Skacel being around Riccarton. This is clear for 99% of us to see. You'd think everything the guy touched turned to gold judging by some on here. Yes, I idolise him as much as the rest of you but we need to accept the reality of the situation. We are building a team round the very promising young players we have at the club, not a soon to be 35 year old midfielder who has a season or two left in him at best. The young players are the future.

Him not signing has nothing to do with Levein's ego, pig-headedness or whatever you want to call it. He's a professional and I highly doubt that Budge would put so much trust in someone who was going to let personal issues get in the way of business and footballing matters. If he doesn't sign, it's because Levein and Neilson believe that other players will bring more to the team and we want to use our budget on bringing those players to the club. There are players out there who will be able to bring more to the team than Skacel, but it's up to those in charge to go out and find them.

Let it go, folks. His Hearts career ended on a high. Keep those memories and look forward to a new era, with or without Skacel.

bobskeldon

beyond belief.

If its not "lets sign players on top league wages even though we were relegated" (jamma thread) then its "come on Ann overule the football manager and do what you want" (rudi thread)

Ann Budge never said that we arent trying to win the championship next year merely that our financial well being has to be the priority.

Not sure why you suggest this to be honest. I haven't seen any posts which suggest that Skacel be signed on "top league wages"! Most (if not all) posts are suggesting that Skacel would have to fit into the club's wage structure! If he is willing to do this, then it really is a no-brainer!

Back to 2005

beyond belief.

Delete

Back to 2005

beyond belief.

Except ann budge never said this. All we are suggesting is sign the best player available within our budget. Our budget will/ should be bigger than everyone apart from 3 or 4 teams in this country. Just because we are relegated does not mean our income automatically decreases to the same as Livingston or Raith Rovers!!

Except ann budge never said this. All we are suggesting is sign the best player available within our budget. Our budget will/ should be bigger than everyone apart from 3 or 4 teams in this country. Just because we are relegated does not mean our income automatically decreases to the same as Livingston or Raith Rovers!!

You're in for a sharp ****ing shock if you think we're going to be in the top 5 of Scottish football budgets this season.

We_are_the_Hearts

You're in for a sharp ****ing shock if you think we're going to be in the top 5 of Scottish football budgets this season.

What 5 will be bigger?

scott_jambo

I can't believe some of the things I've read on this thread. I've not seen anything like it for any other player we've had recently.

Our run of form at the end of the season was purely down to there being no pressure on the team, it was nothing to do with Skacel being around Riccarton. This is clear for 99% of us to see. You'd think everything the guy touched turned to gold judging by some on here. Yes, I idolise him as much as the rest of you but we need to accept the reality of the situation. We are building a team round the very promising young players we have at the club, not a soon to be 35 year old midfielder who has a season or two left in him at best. The young players are the future.

Him not signing has nothing to do with Levein's ego, pig-headedness or whatever you want to call it. He's a professional and I highly doubt that Budge would put so much trust in someone who was going to let personal issues get in the way of business and footballing matters. If he doesn't sign, it's because Levein and Neilson believe that other players will bring more to the team and we want to use our budget on bringing those players to the club. There are players out there who will be able to bring more to the team than Skacel, but it's up to those in charge to go out and find them.

Let it go, folks. His Hearts career ended on a high. Keep those memories and look forward to a new era, with or without Skacel.

Why keep up the pretence that he wouldn't single handedly rip up the championship.

Archived