Exams

jambogaza

Well, that time of the year again. Higher English starts tomorrow (god help us all).

Anyone else?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blondejamtart

Not me personally, but my daughter is - don't know who is more stressed about them, me or her! :lol:

Malcolm Tucker

Aye I'm doing Higher English tomorrow then Int.2 Business of Friday and that's me. No more education.

Hopefully get a C or B in English and probably an A or B at Int.2 Business.

pink_lady_2006

got 3 exams this year but will have to wait till 29th to start them, then after that i do all three in the one week! wasn't too pleased with that.

Last two uni exams ever next thursday....bit harsh that on the same day but oh well, then it will be over :)

tommythejambo

Only got 1 exam at uni this year.

And it's on a Saturday...At 9.30am!!!

tosheeturtle

Last exam on friday :) ...till christmas :(

Feel sorry for those of you doing higher english... the only exam i failed at school... its a stupid exam which people place to much on!! I got higher B and C for modern studies and Geography but according to my failing of english it means i don't know how to write an essay... what a pile of rubbish!! I had to write essays for both modern studies and geography... go figure!!

rossi_1983

Last ever uni exam tomorrow :eek:

Only had 4 in total for my final year, but 3 of them were yesterday, today and tomorrow :mad:

Ray Winstone

Got uni exams in a couple of weeks.

Only advice I can give to those sitting Standard Grades, Int 2s and Highers is dont stress, relax and READ THE FEKIN QUESTIONS, too many silly mistakes will cost you easy marks and can mean the difference between what you get and what you wanted.

Also 5th years - do well on these exams and you get to pi$$ around for the whole of 6th year if you stay on - and its well worth it!

Durdmeister

Yeah, Higher English for me aswell!

Can't wait for them to be over with! No more exams again will be dandy!:)

Got uni exams in a couple of weeks.

Only advice I can give to those sitting Standard Grades, Int 2s and Highers is dont stress, relax and READ THE FEKIN QUESTIONS, too many silly mistakes will cost you easy marks and can mean the difference between what you get and what you wanted.

Also 5th years - do well on these exams and you get to pi$$ around for the whole of 6th year if you stay on - and its well worth it!

Very true - the better you do this year, the more you can **** about next.

Even if you're two shy of what you need to get into uni or whatever - you can still have a mighty **** about.

I spent most of sixth year at the gyle, tesco (for breakfast), home, the Library (we didn't have a common room, and at the Tron (getting ****ed on ?1.50 a pint and Double Vodka Red Devils).

Done ****e in the exams...but what a year!

tommythejambo

That is the cleverest thing anyone has said about anything ever.

Seriously though I went into S6 needing only a C in maths (which I got, also got a C in Bus man and a B in Modern Studies). ****ed about for the whole year e.g. Dodging the odd class for PES tournaments.

Also got elected deputy head boy, easiest job...EVER!!!

Ivan Drago
That is the cleverest thing anyone has said about anything ever.

Seriously though I went into S6 needing only a C in maths (which I got, also got a C in Bus man and a B in Modern Studies). ****ed about for the whole year e.g. Dodging the odd class for PES tournaments.

Also got elected deputy head boy, easiest job...EVER!!!

I needed SFA after 5th year :cool:

plus i had to go to a different school to do advanced higher maths, which meant i got away with only doing 2 subjects

Ray Winstone
I needed SFA after 5th year :cool:

plus i had to go to a different school to do advanced higher maths, which meant i got away with only doing 2 subjects

I got my unconditionals by November of 6th year meaning the rest of the year was a complete right off.

Still came away with 2 advanced highers and an extra Higher without having to put much effort in at all.

Honestly people doing highers - knuckle down now and it will all be worth it!

hughesie27

I'm doing Higher English tommorow. Been at school since 11 this morning revising. Was a pretty good day but don't know how much I learned. My strength is close reading though. Hopefully a C or B. A pass would please me though.

Then a week on monday int 1!!! acocunts then higher PE two days later (easiest A ever?) followed by Higher Chemistry which is my main focus after English.

Any tips on writing essays by the way? Or even the close reading.

cosanostra
Last ever exam at uni next friday - could be a messy weekend afterwards!!

Have you decided if you are staying in Glasgow after you graduate?

cosanostra
I'm doing Higher English tommorow. Been at school since 11 this morning revising. Was a pretty good day but don't know how much I learned. My strength is close reading though. Hopefully a C or B. A pass would please me though.

Then a week on monday int 1!!! acocunts then higher PE two days later (easiest A ever?) followed by Higher Chemistry which is my main focus after English.

Essay writing is all about structure and supporting your argumements with solid facts or quotations. If your essay is structured in a logical way so that it flows from section to section in a coherent order and you back up what you say with evidence, you'll do fine.

I like to write the introduction, then a list of all of my main points, then write my conclusion (introduction and conclusion must be relevant to each other) and then the full body of text. That's just the way my brain works though.

Ivan Drago
Have you decided if you are staying in Glasgow after you graduate?

yeh i think im def staying in glasgow, have put the job search on hold at the moment, might just work in the bookies for a while to build up some cash and then see what takes my fancy...

hughesie27

What texts are you all doing? We have done memoirs of a giesha and Othello.

Didn't actually do it myself, but I know a lot of people who took PE thinking it would just be a good p*ss about playing football and basketball all the time and then failed - so make sure you do a bit of work for it.

I'm in the middle of my exams just now, 2 down, 3 next week on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

Definitely the worst time of the year as a student :(

hughesie27

Good point but it's the seocnd year of doing PE (last year at INT 2 i got an A) I've managed to get an A in 2 prelims I've sat this year as well. You really do just write the same stuff every year.

You'll no doubt be fine then!

Good luck to anyone doing higher english tomorrow. Maybe it was just my school, but it had to be the worst taught and most boring subject ever (but then I did have to read about men gathering cones in tress!). Absolutely hated it!

I'm doing Othello too and 3 poems 'To a Mouse', 'The Jaguar' and 'Thrushes' and also a short story called 'The Telegram' as back up. Not ready at all. :wacko:

Well depends, not too many I can remember yet. And all my quotes are on sheets, not on the PC. :eek:

Basically revised:

All 3 characters (Iago, Othello, Desdemona)

Key scene (Act3 Scene 3)

Othello as an outsider

So left quite a lot out like Symbolism and a few themes. Basically I'm praying for a key scene question to come up. If not, I'm ****ed.

Well with a few people doing Othello, lets hope a good question comes up for it.

Although looking at last years paper, we could have done any one of them on Othello.. so they might decide to take a different route with questions this year. :sad:

hughesie27

Perdition catch my soul, for I do l do love thee. And when I love thee not chaos is come agian.

Thats a beauty for Act 3 scene 3. Showing his love for Des at the start.

Perdition catch my soul, for I do l do love thee. And when I love thee not chaos is come agian.

Thats a beauty for Act 3 scene 3. Showing his love for Des at the start.

Yeah thats one of the few I remember.. think its the last time he shows his love for Desdemona and its with a hint of tragedy. :nerdy:

Also 'Ha, I like not that' hints to Othello, making him suspicious and is one of the easiest to remember.

hughesie27

Wee tip for the close reading for everybody.

Understanding questiong MUST be in your own words.

Context questions (what does this word me) means you should state the meaning (you own words) then quote singl words around the said word showing how you arrived at this meaning.

A/E questions need to quote and analyse.

Guest Roop

Hamlet, The Kite Runner and Janet Paisley/Seamus Heaney poems.

Such a pain.

I tend to treat essays like expanded Analysis questions from the Close Reading paper - except with an introduction, conclusion and linking sentences. It follows the structure of the close reading paper where you identify technique, explain it literally then tie it in with the context and move on to the next point. I find thinking of it like that easier than a large question, this way you break it down.

Hamlet, The Kite Runner and Janet Paisley/Seamus Heaney poems.

Such a pain.

I tend to treat essays like expanded Analysis questions from the Close Reading paper - except with an introduction, conclusion and linking sentences. It follows the structure of the close reading paper where you identify technique, explain it literally then tie it in with the context and move on to the next point. I find thinking of it like that easier than a large question, this way you break it down.

Which poems?

I'm doing 'Mid Term Break', 'The Glass Menagerie' and 'The Cone Gatherers.

Durdmeister

Romeo and Juliet, which i really dislike and 3 Norman Maccaig poems which are fairly easy to understand!

Guest Roop
Which poems?

Janet Paisley - 'Agnes - A Wee Cure'

'Sandra - In all Innocence'

Seamus Heaney - 'An Advancement of Learning'

:sad:

rossi_1983

Bit late giving you advice now, but the trick I used for Higher English was to write a critical essay on your chosen piece, and basically learn it off by heart. Then I just amended it slightly to fit round question

rossi_1983
Romeo and Juliet, which i really dislike and 3 Norman Maccaig poems which are fairly easy to understand!

Brooklyn cop?

"Built like a gorilla, but less timid"

Can't believe I still mind that after 7 years :eek:

Which poems?

What did you think of that book?

All we heard all year was symbolism symbolism symbolism. Calum is Jesus...blah blah blah

If I ever see it again I think I'd burn it!

Although in saying that the questions we got did fit in quite well with it.

Malcolm Tucker

Drama - A View from the Bridge

Prose - Catcher in the Rye

Poems - At the Highland Games (Iain Crichton Smith), Circle Line (Norman MacCaig), The Sun Rising and The Anniversarie (John Donne).

Know the drama and the poems really well. Not Catcher though...

What did you think of that book?

All we heard all year was symbolism symbolism symbolism. Calum is Jesus...blah blah blah

If I ever see it again I think I'd burn it!

Although in saying that the questions we got did fit in quite well with it.

I found it hard to get my head round for a long time but have somehow managed to get an understanding for the themes of good and evil, social class (alongside Lady Runcie Campbell's inner conflict) and religion. Hope I get a chance to write about the good and evil theme, though.

Lady jambo

The Crucible Arthur Miller and Smeddum Lewis Grassic-Gibbon

Any help on Smeddum guys?

Higher English 2morrow

Intermediate two History 26th May

Higher Administration 5th June

Then its all over until i start college 25 August

fun times

tosheeturtle

As i said early the only exam i failed was higher english... my tip is if you find out you have failed higher english and passed you other highers especially those involving writing essays, go get tested for dyslexia!! Wish I had, cause I didn't find out that I was dyslexic till I was in third year at uni!! :confused:

Ivan Drago
As i said early the only exam i failed was higher english... my tip is if you find out you have failed higher english and passed you other highers especially those involving writing essays, go get tested for dyslexia!! Wish I had, cause I didn't find out that I was dyslexic till I was in third year at uni!! :confused:

taht's nto vrye gdoo!!

How'd it go for everyone?

Though close reading was fine, and we got a great question for Othello about his heroisms and vulnerability. And also a good one about his and Desdemona's love.

Although for poetry/short stories I was screwed. Had to write about Burns' personality coming through in the poem which I'm not sure will pass. Oh well we can only wait and see.

Durdmeister

That was pretty ****e

Close reading i could manage pretty well but the two essays were really bad. Just ended up spouting rubbish for a few pages!

ah well...

hughesie27

The close reading was okay although as my struggle was with the essays Ican't really remember what it was all about or how well I done. I remmeebr I said the 2nd passage was the one I prefered as he got his message across using humour and informal language like 'hogwash' which the mass audience would be able to relate to better. He also got the imagery down to a tee with the greenacres choked by concrete. Managed to get a wee it humour into my answer as well saying that because his kept creating lists it created a shopping list like attempt at conveying his point which was not suitable:D

The essays were handed to us on a plate though. 3 good questions for Othello and 2 good ones for Memoirs of a Giesha. I done 2 and 5.

Malcolm Tucker
The close reading was okay although as my struggle was with the essays Ican't really remember what it was all about or how well I done. I remmeebr I said the 2nd passage was the one I prefered as he got his message across using humour and informal language like 'hogwash' which the mass audience would be able to relate to better. He also got the imagery down to a tee with the greenacres choked by concrete. Managed to get a wee it humour into my answer as well saying that because his kept creating lists it created a shopping list like attempt at conveying his point which was not suitable:D

The essays were handed to us on a plate though. 3 good questions for Othello and 2 good ones for Memoirs of a Giesha. I done 2 and 5.

Close reading was orite and I pretty much did the exact same answer as you for the last question!

I kicked the 'A View from the Bridge' essays ass. Seriously nailed it about 9 pages long. The 'At the Highland Games' essay was a bit tougher but still got through a solid 6 and a half pages thinly relating to the question.

Hopefully passed, but who honestly knows.

Archived