Exams

jambogaza

Durdmeister
Close reading was orite and I pretty much did the exact same answer as you for the last question!

I kicked the 'A View from the Bridge' essays ass. Seriously nailed it about 9 pages long. The 'At the Highland Games' essay was a bit tougher but still got through a solid 6 and a half pages thinly relating to the question.

Hopefully passed, but who honestly knows.

15 pages?!?:eek:

I did half of that and thought i was doing loads!

Maths next though...going to be even less enjoyable!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Malcolm Tucker
15 pages?!?:eek:

I did half of that and thought i was doing loads!

Maths next though...going to be even less enjoyable!

I have large writing.

Malcolm Tucker

Did you guys have that crazy booklet thing with the big lines for writing in?

Aye it made my writing go haywire.

Did 6 pages for Othello, 5 for poetry. Means nothing though tbh, not sure if I've answered the questions probably. :confused:

hughesie27

Yeah those books were a bit wierd. My mate ended up with only one page left in his!

I had about 5 at least.

Malcolm Tucker

Yeh I had 1 or 2 sides left at the end I think...

Really hope I've passed this.

Yeah those books were a bit wierd. My mate ended up with only one page left in his!

I had about 5 at least.

I had about 3. Really want to know how I've done. Its so hard to tell as my essays had to be seriously wrapped around the question as I've never answered anything like those questions before.

Just hope that my quotes are good enough.

Guest Roop

Did anyone find the Close Reading a bit odd?

The questions on the first passage were mostly Understanding, and they all said 'Use your own words as far as possible' but they also said 'Refer to lines x-y' which threw me.

Nicola14109
Did anyone find the Close Reading a bit odd?

The questions on the first passage were mostly Understanding, and they all said 'Use your own words as far as possible' but they also said 'Refer to lines x-y' which threw me.

yeah i noticed that as well kinda threw me off a bit as well just got on with it though, hope I've past :sad:

questions on the essays didn't go my way either especially the ones for poetry

hughesie27

Yeah. Apparently you should quote and use your own words:S...I don't know what I done but my mate mentioned it afterwards. It better not have messed up my exam:@!!

Yeah. Apparently you should quote and use your own words:S...I don't know what I done but my mate mentioned it afterwards. It better not have messed up my exam:@!!

That defeats the purpose of the question surely?

I have to admit the amount of understanding questions seemed very odd but afterall, the exams not a trap. People always get needlessly worked up after exams.

rudi must stay
Well, that time of the year again. Higher English starts tomorrow (god help us all).

Anyone else?

aye. Maths on Tuesday as well, need more than help from above to pass that one :sad:

aye. Maths on Tuesday as well, need more than help from above to pass that one :sad:

Same here, got 30% in the prelim. Hoping I can scrape a pass though..:wacko:

hughesie27

What did you all get in your english prelims? I've not got Maths on Tuesday as I have the brains to realise it's a **** take on brain cells.

I managed 53% © for my English prelim though.

Got 59% for my English prelim. HOPEFULLY got a B for the final exam although not too confident.

maltese jambo

does anyone have language exams? i remember back in the day when i sat mine the whole year hid a pre-written essay in their dictionaries (apart from me)...i was rageing!

My advice for everone is to learn the Past Papers as close to by heart as you can.

Lecturers are lazy bazza's and the amount of times you see the exact same questions copied and pasted in is quite high.

How's everyone doing with Maths?

I'm just doing past paper after past paper and trying to remember how to do the questions that are coming up. Not sure how successful this is going to be though. :confused:

Durdmeister
How's everyone doing with Maths?

I'm just doing past paper after past paper and trying to remember how to do the questions that are coming up. Not sure how successful this is going to be though. :confused:

Literally understand nothing about logarithms and its getting annoying how often they come up! Hoping to manage a C though!

hughesie27

Expand (a+B)^n.

Solution: (a+B)^n

(a------ +----- B)----^ -----n

(a----------- + ------B)-----^------ n

(a ------+ -------------------B)-------^ --------n

Got an exam on Wednesday and another on Friday.

Case Studies in Cultural Studies and Social and Political Change in Britain.

Only started revising today at 2pm after being out last night. The worst thing is that over the last 3/4 weeks I have had 7 other assessments to do including a 2,000 word essay and two 1,500 word essays.

When I went into 6th year I had to get at least a B in higher english. Got in A in the end but it was a struggle only helped by two tutors.

I can always remember on one of my essays for the prelims where it was to do with Death of a Salesman (I think) and I concluded it with "Death comes to us all. It is just a matter of when and how." I had no idea what I was slavering about.

Dr Ian Malcolm
Got an exam on Wednesday and another on Friday.

Case Studies in Cultural Studies and Social and Political Change in Britain.

Only started revising today at 2pm after being out last night. The worst thing is that over the last 3/4 weeks I have had 7 other assessments to do including a 2,000 word essay and two 1,500 word essays.

When I went into 6th year I had to get at least a B in higher english. Got in A in the end but it was a struggle only helped by two tutors.

I can always remember on one of my essays for the prelims where it was to do with Death of a Salesman (I think) and I concluded it with "Death comes to us all. It is just a matter of when and how." I had no idea what I was slavering about.

Journalism at Napier is it? Did both those Exams last year - IIRC you get a choice of four questions in Case Studies in Cultural Studies, 2 are related to something you (apparantly) covered in tutorials/assignments etc, and two aren't. Do the two that aren't, they're extremley vague. Last year one was about online identities - I slavered on about Bebo and Facebook and passed. Not too much to worry about tbh. Social and Political Change should be okay if you get familiar with a few of the themes you did over the year, think i ended up doing a question on Facism.

Got Media Law next tuesday, my only semester 2 exam (had 4 in january mind). Possiblt the most soul destroying subject to revise for. Funnily enough, one of the questions in the January exam was about a Russian Businessman who had bought a Scottish Football Club and had had an article written about him linking him with money laundering and the russian mafia! Had a good chuckle at it before remebering I was in an exam. Think the question asked us to detail the defences he could use. Who says exams aren't relevant to real life?

To everyone who's just done Higher English - you're missing out if you didn't do the Fixer as your novel! Written in the 60s, about a Russian Jew who gets blamed for the murder of a christian kid (who was a little barsteward) at the beginning of the 20th century. He's in jail for about three years without trial. Fast paced and exciting as you can imagine. The thing hasn't even been in print for nearly a decade ffs. My older cousin, who left school in 1992 had the same English teacher and even he did it.

blondejamtart
Journalism at Napier is it? Did both those Exams last year - IIRC you get a choice of four questions in Case Studies in Cultural Studies, 2 are related to something you (apparantly) covered in tutorials/assignments etc, and two aren't. Do the two that aren't, they're extremley vague. Last year one was about online identities - I slavered on about Bebo and Facebook and passed. Not too much to worry about tbh. Social and Political Change should be okay if you get familiar with a few of the themes you did over the year, think i ended up doing a question on Facism.

Got Media Law next tuesday, my only semester 2 exam (had 4 in january mind). Possiblt the most soul destroying subject to revise for. Funnily enough, one of the questions in the January exam was about a Russian Businessman who had bought a Scottish Football Club and had had an article written about him linking him with money laundering and the russian mafia! Had a good chuckle at it before remebering I was in an exam. Think the question asked us to detail the defences he could use. Who says exams aren't relevant to real life?

To everyone who's just done Higher English - you're missing out if you didn't do the Fixer as your novel! Written in the 60s, about a Russian Jew who gets blamed for the murder of a christian kid (who was a little barsteward) at the beginning of the 20th century. He's in jail for about three years without trial. Fast paced and exciting as you can imagine. The thing hasn't even been in print for nearly a decade ffs. My older cousin, who left school in 1992 had the same English teacher and even he did it.

Journalism at Napier? Hah, been there, done that, got the T-shirt! :whistling:

Guest Roop

Paper 1 for Maths was a joke of a paper. Not that I'm complaining.

Paper 2 was much harder :( I don't want to see my results - I've only had two exams.

Paper 2 was much harder :( I don't want to see my results - I've only had two exams.

As in easy? Seriously?

I found Paper 1 a lot harder than all the past papers I'd done, especially the multiple choice, found part 2 tricky as well.

Paper 2 was a monster though. I'm seriously not confident at all after that. Plus, I'm literally drained.. its knackered me!

Yeah.

The case studies one you have to choose a question from section A and wtie an essay for an hour. And then you have to do two shorter essays in the last hour from section B.

I have made some notes as it is an open book exam but my aim is just to spraph and wing it.

Social and Political is a again three essays in two hours. Going to start revising that tomorrow. Thatcherism. The joys.

Looking at the exams today.

Higher Paper 1 was decent, multiple choice is quite nice. Paper 2 was tough but that was expected really. Especially this being the first year of multiple choice.

Int 2 had a tricky paper 1, paper 2 was relatively nice.

Int 1 had a good paper 1, paper 2 was pretty difficult.

hmfc_steve

can some of you guys not scan and post the exam papers up here.... then we can tell you the answers :)

Durdmeister

yeah...was feeling pretty good after paper one even though i messed up the section B! Paper two however was a killer! Didnt even answer the second last question!

Guest Roop
yeah...was feeling pretty good after paper one even though i messed up the section B! Paper two however was a killer! Didnt even answer the second last question!

I didn't answer a few of them either.

The second question on Section B about the tangent. Done a bit and got fed up playing around.

On paper two I never did the Vector question (probably the easiest one there but I couldn't get the points to fit) the quadratic Cos question, the one about the 6-2t box thing and I got the last question in a mess because I only realised at the end that a square root is plus and minus. :sad:

Don't get any exams :laugh:

Had 3 2700 word essays to do: one on James Kelman, one on Waiting for Godot and one on the teaching I've done this semester.

Happy days.

hughesie27
Don't get any exams :laugh:

Had 3 2700 word essays to do: one on James Kelman, one on Waiting for Godot and one on the teaching I've done this semester.

Happy days.

Whata re you planning on doing Neave?

Yeah and as a career as well.

Studying English and Professional Education at Stirling, with a view to becoming an English teacher when I graduate.

Still haven't decided whether I want to teach High School or adults, but I'm sticking on the Professional Education course anyway just to get some invaluable teaching experience.

Got one exam next Tuesday to study for. Did 3 hours this afternoon and about to start again. Will be doing it for the entire weekend too. Mind-numbingly boring. Then I've got an essay for next Friday to hand in which I haven't even thought about.

12 noon next Friday is beer o'clock!!!

Anyone got Higher Physics tomorrow afternoon?

I am not ready for this, at all. :eek:

Definite fail for me. Was never going to pass it anyway and should've left it with a 1 at Standard Grade instead of wasting a year.

Jeez this thread makes me feel old. Good luck guys and gals.

If it makes you fell any better I can count the number of times I've used quadratic equations in my work life on one hand in the last 30 years.

You'll all be better people after this experience and don't underestimate how relieved you'll all feel when you eventually get to the point when you don't have to study or revise anymore.

Those worries will be replaced by a mortgage.

Archived