What's the worst pub you've ever been in ?

fordy

Keith Talent

Some great shouts on this thread. Having grown up on the east side of town surprised no one has mentioned Pickies at Piershill. There, the Pop Inn, the White House & the Loch Inn were legendary. Was also in the old Sighthill Hotel many years ago & it wasn’t the best. That said- would still rather drink in all of them than some of these George St places.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Bridge of Djoum

• Tazio

• Maroon Sailor

John Findlay
17 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

There was a shitho ....... err nightclub in Southsea called Jo's (The Royal Navy school of dancing) were the carpet was stickier than sticky the stick insect landing on a sticky bun

You forgot the palm tree that was the substitute urinal in the middle of the dance floor. Has now been demolished and replaced by luxury flats. The Bistro club. Known as Beasties due to the high standard of the female clientele. My first time in the mucky duck(white Swan) the floor was covered in sawdust.

the general
21 hours ago, Morgan said:

Was there not a pub on Rose Street called ‘The Pub’?

turned into a Mr Qs and is now a 1970's retro bar called The Shack

the general
20 hours ago, Say What Again said:

Went to Stranraer when we played them in the Cup. There was a pub called 'The Pub' just doors along from a chippy called 'The Chippy"

pub in Dumfy was called Somewhere Else

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

You forgot the palm tree that was the substitute urinal in the middle of the dance floor. Has now been demolished and replaced by luxury flats. The Bistro club. Known as Beasties due to the high standard of the female clientele. My first time in the mucky duck(white Swan) the floor was covered in sawdust.

Heard about the tree but it had been taken down by the time I made my debut in Spanners

Edited by Maroon Sailor

millerjames398
4 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Heard about the tree but it had been taken down by the time I made my debut in Spanners

I was reading some of this thread out to the mrs who comes from Pompey,she said the boozer with the most ahem "character" was a pub called the Robert peel bar,any of you old sailors frequented this establishment?

Maroon Sailor
40 minutes ago, millerjames398 said:

I was reading some of this thread out to the mrs who comes from Pompey,she said the boozer with the most ahem "character" was a pub called the Robert peel bar,any of you old sailors frequented this establishment?

IMG_1495.JPG

Don't think I was in that one.

Usual run was Park Tavern, Mighty Fine, City Arms, Mucky Duck then either Martines, Fifth Avenue or Jo's.

Pull a gronk or big eats back onboard

Edited by Maroon Sailor

51 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1495.JPG

Don't think I was in that one.

Usual run was Park Tavern, Mighty Fine, City Arms, Mucky Duck then either Martines, Fifth Avenue or Jo's.

Pull a gronk or big eats back onboard

I'd love to know what that means!

Or, maybe I wouldn't :lol:

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

I'd love to know what that means!

Or, maybe I wouldn't :lol:

Gronk is a less than attractive individual. Most mess-decks had a ''Gronk board'' where the lads would pin pictures of their conquests. All in the days before internet and cell phones. It was quite the effort to get a pic. My method was nicking a picture from her house if we'd gone back to hers to do the deed.

God I pumped some things in my time...

35 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Gronk is a less than attractive individual. Most mess-decks had a ''Gronk board'' where the lads would pin pictures of their conquests. All in the days before internet and cell phones. It was quite the effort to get a pic. My method was nicking a picture from her house if we'd gone back to hers to do the deed.

Cheers NYFp.

I’ve never heard of that in my puff.

Thanks for the info in the last line too!

John Findlay
1 hour ago, New York Fleapit said:

Spot on. Now banned in today's modern Navy as no longer PC. The fact females now serve on board warshIps.  Though I am sure the ladiesame would be quite happy to have a gronk board, males only.

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, New York Fleapit said:

IMG_1484.JPG

57 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1484.JPG

Olive??

I’ve been around the world hen, just looking for you.

:sob:

Bridge of Djoum
59 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

IMG_1484.JPG

Yep. Nailed her. Donna from Devonport.

Just now, New York Fleapit said:

Get in!

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Spot on. Now banned in today's modern Navy as no longer PC. The fact females now serve on board warshIps.  Though I am sure the ladiesame would be quite happy to have a gronk board, males only.

On the Sheffield, the Wrens did indeed have a gronk board. It's no lie to say there were a good few girls on it. They had no shame, just like the lads and posted their conquests too.

John Findlay

On the Sheffield, the Wrens did indeed have a gronk board. It's no lie to say there were a good few girls on it. They had no shame, just like the lads and posted their conquests too.

Well after my time. I left the year women first went to sea, 1990. The Sheffield I knew got hit by an excel missile 04/05/82. I was on Hms Intrepid at the time. Long long time ago now but, you never forget.

John Findlay

I had sloppy seconds:laugh:.

cannonfoda

Honourable mention to the 1/4 gill.  Not sure if i mentioned before but the sights coming out from it at 7am on a midweek were scary.  

Did manage to pull one of the bar maids the only time i visited though.  She left country the next day :)

Maroon Sailor
9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Well after my time. I left the year women first went to sea, 1990. 

This was the first batch - pretty sure the one in the middle is Bendy Wendy

IMG_1501.JPG

Edited by Maroon Sailor

John Findlay
13 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Bendy Wendy - explain please?

Seriously?

4 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

Jimmy shand in dundee just above ninewells.  More pints than teeth in the bar.

that was my local in the mid 80's and to be honest apart from the alloas beer it was an alright boozer. A long time closed i think though.

adambraejambo

Worse pub but maybe one of the best at same time. Edmonton Canada. Think it was called Dusters pub on 118 st. Really rough got stared at as soon as I walked in. If not for the Scottish accent I don't think I'd of been served. At night hookers always in bar touting for business and not the classy kind. Games of poker been played in the back where at least 2 fights a night broke out. Lots of drugs available from the regular dealer and seemed to be every junkie in neighbourhood would come to him in the outside seating area to get their gear  On the plus side as well as getting felt up by a hooker whilst standing at bar i asked for a Talisker and the girl behind bar hand poured what must have been a 6 or 7 nips and said $4 plz. 

42 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

Bendy Wendy - explain please?

:bwcornette:

29 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Seriously?

:laugh::laugh:

the general
4 hours ago, cannonfoda said:

Jimmy shand in dundee just above ninewells.  More pints than teeth in the bar.

a poster / reader on here managed the place a good few years ago and ran their football team

saw them play the Gauntlet in the Scottish Cup final at Patties

very tense atmosphere

Not a bad pub as such but a bad incident.

Forester's Arms in Tunbridge Wells.

Couple of big butch dykes got thrown out in the early afternoon for making racist remarks and generally being drunken, nasty arseholes.

They returned a couple of hours later in a transit van filled with a gang of other butch dykes armed with pickaxe handles and proceded to smash up the entire pub.

Running battle in the street outside between pub regulars, local residents, the dyke army and eventually a squad of coppers.

Bizarre situation.

Bridge of Djoum
15 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Well after my time. I left the year women first went to sea, 1990. The Sheffield I knew got hit by an excel missile 04/05/82. I was on Hms Intrepid at the time. Long long time ago now but, you never forget.

Exocet.

Ironically, I was the maintainer of the Exocet system on the new Sheffield. A ramshackle thing, lucky to make it over the fo'csle.

Wisnae ma fault but.