What's the worst pub you've ever been in ?

fordy

White House in Niddrie took some beating back in the day. Springfield Vaults is a tip but we had a few bevvies in there pre 98 as a settler so it has fond memories 

Vernon Arms in Liverpool was an utter shit tip 

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Bridge of Djoum

• Tazio

• Maroon Sailor

Doctor FinnBarr
On 5/19/2018 at 12:24, John Findlay said:

Had my Grandad's wake in their back in April 1980. I wonder what the locals thought of 8 guys, seven his son in laws which included three coloured(their term) Americans and his eldest Scottish grandson in Naval uniform and I had just turned seventeen the day after he died.

These Americans John, was the second name Fagan by any chance?

John Findlay
47 minutes ago, bikerjambo said:

These Americans John, was the second name Fagan by any chance?

No.

The Louden Tavern at Ibrokes is a scabby, knuckledragging, bigot infested sore of a place. An absolute hole. But what a pint of Guinness!

Jambothump
On 18/05/2018 at 23:50, Shedro said:

The Granton Tap, went in there once for a pool night... OH DEAR. 

Changed days, now music studios mostly, cheap studios to rent, full security.

Bad pubs,The Clock Inn, a good design, nae windaes, but a pool table ? Further up in Dundee Street Clancy's, if you really wanted to have your attention taken, by use of starting handle?

the general
On 5/19/2018 at 19:34, Les Izemore said:

I think the Loch Inn is Edinburgh City’s clubhouse these days. 

YUP ,sold their place at the Playhouse and moved here

Say What Again
On 5/19/2018 at 15:54, millerjames398 said:

I'm from stenhousemuir,, 

About 10 years ago a few of us went to Stenhousemuir to watch them vs Stranraer (mate was from Stranraer). We headed for a random boozer before the game and were pleasantly surprised to see the walls covered in Hearts photos and memorabilia.

Well most of us were pleasantly surprised. The Hibby wasn't :lol:

millerjames398
Just now, Say What Again said:

About 10 years ago a few of us went to Stenhousemuir to watch them vs Stranraer (mate was from Stranraer). We headed for a random boozer before the game and were pleasantly surprised to see the walls covered in Hearts photos and memorabilia.

Well most of us were pleasantly surprised. The Hibby wasn't :lol:

That would have been the plough, was a good wee pub, but as I said they tried to go a totally different direction, and the usual crowd started drinking in gilmours and the ochilview bar, when they went back to havin their karaokes at the weekend they couldn't get the old crowd back in the door?

Maroon Sailor
13 hours ago, Spencer said:

White House in Niddrie took some beating back in the day. Springfield Vaults is a tip but we had a few bevvies in there pre 98 as a settler so it has fond memories 

Vernon Arms in Liverpool was an utter shit tip 

Just reminded me of The Punch and Judy in Liverpool - absolute shithole but I quite liked it.

Went back to it the next again year but it had burnt down !

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Just reminded me of The Punch and Judy in Liverpool - absolute shithole but I quite liked it.

Went back to it the next again year but it had burnt down !

Aye it is no more. I went down with a pal for a weekend to watch Everton some years ago. Went into the Vernon Arms. I was stood at the bar trying to order two pints of their finest. There was nobody else in the place. Next thing I know there is a sub normal object breathing loudly into my left ear hole.  He could have stood anywhere but elected to stand a bawhair from me! I have no idea where he came from, down from the rafters maybe 

Quite an experience 

scottish_chicP
20 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

Dovehill in Uphall 

Dovehill has recently been done up and is quite nice now.

Shame the clientele is likely the same!

ANY of the pubs in the Lochend/Restalrig/Craigentinny area

Bunch of Roses - Featured on one of those "Britain's Worst Pubs" shows when rival drugs gangs fought a running battle with meat cleavers.

Tor - Argument over a game of pool ended up with a man being killed with a garden fork.

Loch Inn - Bars welded over the windows said it all.

Jock's Lodge - Well known gang hangout, shut down after a shooting.

Hop Step & Jump (aka the Hoppy) - An absolute hole inhabited by relics from the 1970's.

jack D and coke
On 19/05/2018 at 11:33, Morgan said:

Tipplers?

Went in there one Saturday after a game, steaming and with a chip roll in my hand. Bird was up dancing with nowt on, stopped the music and shouted “Hai you it’s no a ****ing bistro” :lol: 

45 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Went in there one Saturday after a game, steaming and with a chip roll in my hand. Bird was up dancing with nowt on, stopped the music and shouted “Hai you it’s no a ****ing bistro” :lol: 

:o:lol: 

I don't even remember Tipplers having dancers to be honest. Place was that wee...

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

:o:lol: 

I don't even remember Tipplers having dancers to be honest. Place was that wee...

Tiny place. Dancers weren’t the classiest tbf :lol: 

14 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Tiny place. Dancers weren’t the classiest tbf :lol: 

That surprises me - not!

Some of the erm... ladies that ‘performed’ in the West Port bars were, shall we say, a tad rough :)

scott herbertson
21 hours ago, Spencer said:

White House in Niddrie took some beating back in the day. 

I agree - when I was 18-20 in Northfield it used to be a dare to go in and have a pint. Don’t remember many people being brave enough.

My worst pub experience was ina pub outside Parkhead in the early 70s. It was a scarves up the jumpers job, trying to look invisible. Only to have a guy come up to us and rattle a bucket full of money and ask threateningly for a donation  “for the boys in Ireland”

Some pub above a launderette in Greenock - think it had s name like Norseman or Viking etc... late 80s....

Horrific 

Edited by PTBCAL

The Gunner.

Once visited, around midday on a Tuesday (I think).

:wow:

Disclaimer: I was with two men I worked with who wanted to go there for a pint. 

I didn’t want to go.

41 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Some pub above a launderette in Greenock - think it had s name like Norseman or Viking etc... late 80s....

Horrific 

I remember that place. Impressive in it's shitness.

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

My worst pub experience was ina pub outside Parkhead in the early 70s. It was a scarves up the jumpers job, trying to look invisible. Only to have a guy come up to us and rattle a bucket full of money and ask threateningly for a donation  “for the boys in Ireland”

I had that in a pub in Kilburn in the 80's when London was still being bombed. I saw them coming and said something about them getting nothing from me, a big Irish lad at the next table leant over and said "it's not worth it, they're arses but dangerous ones chuck in some coppers" Their collecting slogan was, unbelievably, buy a bullet kill a brit. 

Bridge of Djoum
8 hours ago, Cade said:

ANY of the pubs in the Lochend/Restalrig/Craigentinny area

Bunch of Roses - Featured on one of those "Britain's Worst Pubs" shows when rival drugs gangs fought a running battle with meat cleavers.

Tor - Argument over a game of pool ended up with a man being killed with a garden fork.

Loch Inn - Bars welded over the windows said it all.

Jock's Lodge - Well known gang hangout, shut down after a shooting.

Hop Step & Jump (aka the Hoppy) - An absolute hole inhabited by relics from the 1970's.

You forget the incident where I was stabbed outside the Loch Inn. 1989.

Having grown up in Lochend I can confirm every boozer is indeed a hovel.

Bridge of Djoum

Anyone mind the place on the left hand side going up Maryhill Road from George's Cross underground?  Woodsman or something.

Shitehole.

SpruceBringsteen

1. Boozer in Leven before an East Fife friendly a few years back. Went straight to the bar and asked for two lager. "What kind?" asked the 8 foot, one eyed, scabby knuckled barman. "Er, what do you have?" I asked, looking at the taps. "Stella" he said without adding anything else. Got two of them and whilst internally shaking my head noticed a family party of six (yet only three teeth) celebrating in the corner. Turns out the grandfaither (who I swear was at least 80) got off on a charge of some kind of drug possession. I left.

2. Some place in Shotts before a Motherwell game (the one where Rab Sloan scored and we didn't win there again for about 4 millennia). Found it strange that the bar had a urinal attached to it, which as I've since learned is because boys DID use to just take a slash whilst ordering their Tia Mara and lemonade. Left when two cro-magnons playing pool started launching the balls at each other.

3. Any Wetherspoons, ever.

Edited by SpruceBringsteen

Went into a boozer in Leeds with 3 mates a couple of years ago. The very second we walked in the door I knew we were getting ****** off. Every single pair of eyes in the place turned towards the four strangers who had just had the audacity to walk in. The girl behind the bar stared down at her shoes as she informed us that we weren’t getting served as we had “had to much”, which was odd given that we hadn’t had a single drink up until that point. We just said “fair enough” and went on our merry way, one of the weirdos even had the door open for us before we had about turned from the bar.

I never at any point felt threatened but it was the weirdest pub I’d ever set foot in. I genuinely think it was only social outcasts that were welcome there and we were a bit to normal to be considered welcome.

Bridge of Djoum
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Went into a boozer in Leeds with 3 mates a couple of years ago. The very second we walked in the door I knew we were getting ****** off. Every single pair of eyes in the place turned towards the four strangers who had just had the audacity to walk in. The girl behind the bar stared down at her shoes as she informed us that we weren’t getting served as we had “had to much”, which was odd given that we hadn’t had a single drink up until that point. We just said “fair enough” and went on our merry way, one of the weirdos even had the door open for us before we had about turned from the bar.

I never at any point felt threatened but it was the weirdest pub I’d ever set foot in. I genuinely think it was only social outcasts that were welcome there and we were a bit to normal to be considered welcome.

Did they look like this...?

Image result for mcpoyles

Bridge of Djoum
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

You've got to love the McPoyles.

Indeed. 

I spend a fair bit of time in Philly and I once met Rob McElhenney. He claimed the McPoyles were based on people he knew. I was dubious but anything is possible in Philadelphia!

9 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Horrific 

Its still there,never been in it though.

Looks quite upmarket( it has windows) compared to some of the scheme pubs around Greenock :huh:

Edited by Tott

John Findlay
9 hours ago, Morgan said:

The Gunner.

Once visited, around midday on a Tuesday (I think).

:wow:

Disclaimer: I was with two men I worked with who wanted to go there for a pint. 

I didn’t want to go.

That's upmarket compared to the Anchor Inn:laugh:.

The Pop Inn, Portobello, around 2001. Horrible place. Most of the clientele were jakey Hibs fans with black eyes, no teeth and the blokes looked even worse.  

Stayed around the corner at the time and fancied a nightcap after a midweek Hearts game (Berwick Cup replay, iirc). Had my scarf on and quickly attracted a small crowd. Nothing happened but I didn't stay long enough for aggro to develop. 

Never crossed it's threshold again and it closed down not that long after. 

Apparently nobody else has ever experienced this and it was an overreaction on my part but me and a pal walked into sneaky petes once and there was just one guy drugged out his nut standing in the middle of the floor trying to dance. A couple of blokes at the other end of the bar staring us down. Only lasted for one drink before getting out, never to return 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

I was at a stag night in there about 25 years ago,wildest night ever.The strippers were a little dirty.

2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

The Gunner and the Angel Hotel (sic) in Leith 80-81.

In The Angel Hotel around 81/82. Was playing pool against this real nut job from Leith and trying desperately to lose only he was so shite it was extremely difficult and no matter what I did, everything I hit seemed to go in. Think I managed to go in off the black to hand said nut job his well deserved victory. Very reminiscent of that scene in Trainspotting with Sick Boy and Begbie.

5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Never heard of that John. Where is it?

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

West Granton Road, near the Jubilee hippie. 

Ta :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Ta :thumbsup:

The classic concrete bunker with bars on the windows. It has picnic benches outside now so you can threaten strangers al fresco. 

Just now, Tazio said:

The classic concrete bunker with bars on the windows. It has picnic benches outside now so you can threaten strangers al fresco. 

Sounds charming.

Next time I’m in Edinburgh....

Maybe no’..

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The splendid Anchor Inn

Anchor_Inn.png

You couldn't get a more welcoming looking pub.:laugh: Seen more welcoming German pill boxes.

John Findlay
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Never heard of that John. Where is it?

30 second walk from my stair. Aren't I the lucky one? As Tazio posted.

1 hour ago, Stuart Lyon said:

The splendid Anchor Inn

Anchor_Inn.png

Crikey, that looks a bit scary :sterb147:   :o

Saying that, the rather delightful beer garden could well entice us to pop down for a couple of finos and a snowball or two  :rolleyes4:

15 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You couldn't get a more welcoming looking pub.:laugh: Seen more welcoming German pill boxes.

:D

Silver Wing, Sighthill

1cd72c01b6c1c4e019449fc30b4d9f0c_feature

Artful Dodger, also Sighthill (Yes, this is a pub)
22679481.jpg

The Grapes, Southside/Newington

wpid-023-the-grapes-clerk-street-edinbur

All of them are "over 25s only" and populated by people who have less than 25 teeth in their heads.

Phil Dunphy

The Hanging Bat.

A ****ing dreadful place that perfectly sums up what's wrong with Edinburghs city centre.