What's the worst pub you've ever been in ?

fordy

FTFY

thought that was the Legion, probably both suffered the same fate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Bridge of Djoum

• Tazio

• Maroon Sailor

Been in a pub up in Charleston which was genuinely scary with some of the boys floating around. Also a special mention goes to the Bush Bar, which if I didn't work in the shop next door and know some of the regulars, I'm sure I'd have had my head kicked in simply for being in the place judging by the looks you get for being in there.

There is also The Kettledrum and The Planet up in Charleston which look like the sort of places that it would be advisable to be wearing a Kevlar Vest underneath your shirt before entering!

The 4J's at Tannadice also used to be a total hole, and there were always arseholes kicking lumps out of each other, every single night. It got shut down for a wee bit and then was renovated and re-opened. I used to live across the road from it and it was always good for a laugh looking out the window at the locals fighting.

Dundee is a beautiful place :lol:

tommythejambo

Stratties at half 6 on a Saturday morning is a sight to behold.

I think anywhere that's open at 6:30am on a Saturday is going to be a wee bit iffy, to say the least.

great laugh reading this, agree with a few of the weegie ones.

for my half pints worth..Canny Mans has to be the worst for aholes, one of our own well known ex-provosts drinks there!

Whitehouse was the scariest for me, though the one and only time I was stupid enough to sample Omans one sunny Sunday lunchtime, I got shot.

ok it was just a starting pistol, but how was I to know that :uhoh2:

great laugh reading this, agree with a few of the weegie ones.

for my half pints worth..Canny Mans has to be the worst for aholes, one of our own well known ex-provosts drinks there!

Whitehouse was the scariest for me, though the one and only time I was stupid enough to sample Omans one sunny Sunday lunchtime, I got shot.

ok it was just a starting pistol, but how was I to know that :uhoh2:

:laugh4:

Rupert Pupkin

Omans,sure the sign outside says POOL,DARTS and GOLF, wtf. Is that what they call getting battered about the head with a putter in there. :uhoh2:

grantaitchie8

The coach in Dalkeith isn't that bad, infact karaoke on a Friday is a great laugh! Worst pub i've been in has to be the Videoton supporters/locals club in Hungary, wee underground place that had one solitary light, dirty glasses and the vodka was like paint thinner, horrible stuff. Was so dark I couldn't even read the articles on the wall! People in it were nice enough though I guess.

willie wallace

Omans,sure the sign outside says POOL,DARTS and GOLF, wtf. Is that what they call getting battered about the head with a putter in there. :uhoh2:

Went in there a few years ago after the Norhet v Castlevale Sunday league game.The barman said that the only reason everything was bolted to the floor was because the Drylaw/Muirhouse boys were visiting.They put on a good spread and we had a great time.

Romfordjt

The Snuff Box on Holyrood road was always a good place to lose purposely at pool if you valued your scar free pus.

Was a regular in the Snuffy in the early to late 80s the ad funnily enough the only time I saw trouble was over a game of pool, bloke took a few quid off one of the regulars and it got a bit heated, I would head up to Jenny Ha's or the Tolbooth when it got a bit naawwty

WavyGravy

The Stand in mussy.

Within 3 minutes of entering a local took his belt off to a pal after he approached us and asked "are we going". Assuming he meant are we leaving he replied yes and was swiftly offered outside. Bar man didn't bat an eyelid.

Drove past the same individual later that night being bundled in the back of a meat wagon.

Shite pub its bark was worse than its bite. Im from Musselburgh and trust me, you cant get a hardman from Musselburgh.

Bridge of Djoum

Some belters past and present so far lads.

A boozer no Hearts fan has any business being in, so probably why its not been mentioned yet... the Tor, Restalrig Road

ooffttttttt

• 4 years later...

As there has been a few Edinburgh pubs mentioned on here in the past few days it got me thinking about this thread from 2014.

So, bump..

Brighton Jambo

Munns - Maryhill road Glasgow.  Basically a heroin addict hangout.  Truly never seen anything like it.  

conn artist

The angel bar, nr ibrox. Blue pool Table, union jacks and pics of the queen everywhere. Frequented by utter scum. Only went in as it was open at the crack of dawn after an after party.

Now called NN10 and owned by nacho novo.  Probably still a shithole. 

gashauskis9
On 05/05/2014 at 22:19, New York Fleapit said:

Some belters past and present so far lads.

A boozer no Hearts fan has any business being in, so probably why its not been mentioned yet... the Tor, Restalrig Road

ooffttttttt

Utter hole.  Bunch of Roses round that way is a shocker as well.

gashauskis9
On 18/04/2014 at 12:20, Glamorgan Jambo said:

In Edinburgh it's a toss up between the Busy Bee and The Sovereign (now Winstons) in Corstorphine.

Down here the Ninian Park is well worth avoiding at all times

Also a pub called the Emerald Loop in Chicago

Winstons does the best haggis pies ever.

20 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

Winstons does the best haggis pies ever.

You're probably buying the butchers next door pies 

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

The PENNY BLACK.

That was always a good option on a Monday morning,work?drink?give me a second to think about it.:leveinproblem:

@VladMagic

Ended up in a boozer in Portmahomack in my late teens. Was by memory pretty shady. We were camping near by and ended up getting hammered in there playing pool with the locals. Champion of the table could, loosely, be defined as female and she was a big strong lass! She ended up taking my mate back to the tent. Not his choice she practically dragged the poor bugger back there kicking n screaming!!

He never spoke about what happened in the tent. Just whimpered.

Harry Potter
6 hours ago, Shedro said:

The Granton Tap, went in there once for a pool night... OH DEAR. 

Aye had a pool table , was a stopping spot for seamen coming off the boats back in the day, 

the pub down on the corner at Firhill,  total dive, said to this guy he looked liked Danny McGrain, he was

not happy:huh2:dont know what his problem was.

Strangest pub ever was the small one on bread street , cant mind the name, could not swing a cat in it.

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

The PENNY BLACK.

I see your Penny Black and raise you (Pat pishy pants Stanton's) Willie Muir.Very unlikely to still be open. Biggest dive ever been in. Went there for a stag night yonks ago. I'm having a drink with my mates and some burd who was collecting the empties tapped my shoulder. "I know you" she says. I'm wondering who the feck are you; even though it was the schemiest pub I've ever been in, she was very tidy. It turned out to be the scruffy kid from my classroom from Granton Primary. The last time I saw her was when we played Doctors and Nurses some 10 years earlier. I'm amazed she recognised me.  From being a scruffy kid to this gorgeous blonde. Sadly nothing happened and I went home alone :sob:

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I see your Penny Black and raise you (Pat pishy pants Stanton's) Willie Muir.Very unlikely to still be open. Biggest dive ever been in. 

More than just closed down it's actually been knocked down. 

3 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Aye had a pool table , was a stopping spot for seamen coming off the boats back in the day, 

the pub down on the corner at Firhill,  total dive, said to this guy he looked liked Danny McGrain, he was

not happy:huh2:dont know what his problem was.

Strangest pub ever was the small one on bread street , cant mind the name, could not swing a cat in it.

Tipplers?

The Raby in Byker, Newcastle. 

Mental place, drugs all over the shop, folk banging in the corner but a cracking Karaoke :lol:

the general
19 minutes ago, Shedro said:

Is that the wee pub up Tollcross that had the Go Go dancers? 

Bread Street

Geoff the Mince
47 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Tipplers?

Tipplers was my weekend haunt every weekend ; a fantastic wee pub apart from the Hobos . 

John Findlay
4 hours ago, Marvin said:

I see your Penny Black and raise you (Pat pishy pants Stanton's) Willie Muir.Very unlikely to still be open. Biggest dive ever been in. Went there for a stag night yonks ago. I'm having a drink with my mates and some burd who was collecting the empties tapped my shoulder. "I know you" she says. I'm wondering who the feck are you; even though it was the schemiest pub I've ever been in, she was very tidy. It turned out to be the scruffy kid from my classroom from Granton Primary. The last time I saw her was when we played Doctors and Nurses some 10 years earlier. I'm amazed she recognised me.  From being a scruffy kid to this gorgeous blonde. Sadly nothing happened and I went home alone :sob:

Had my Grandad's wake in their back in April 1980. I wonder what the locals thought of 8 guys, seven his son in laws which included three coloured(their term) Americans and his eldest Scottish grandson in Naval uniform and I had just turned seventeen the day after he died.

Bridge of Djoum
16 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The Cutter, Weymouth

Been in there a few times after FOST and DOST. 

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Been in there a few times after FOST and DOST. 

Still a shithole - criteria for getting in is to have webbed feet and 6 fingers on each hand

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Still a shithole - criteria for getting in is to have webbed feet and 6 fingers on each hand

Not changed much then!:mellow:

33 minutes ago, Shedro said:

Is that the wee pub up Tollcross that had the Go Go dancers? 

No, Tipplers was in Bread Street on the left hand side as you headed towards the West Port.

The only pub actually in Tollcross that had dancers was Francos Office Bar.

All the go-go bars were West Port - The Western, Bridies and the Burke and Hare. There was also one opposite the Blue Blazer on Bread Street that had dancers.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, New York Fleapit said:

Not changed much then!:mellow:

Makes a dosshouse look like The Ritz

14 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Tipplers was my weekend haunt every weekend ; a fantastic wee pub apart from the Hobos . 

Aye, a good wee boozer Geoff.

Bridge of Djoum
9 minutes ago, Morgan said:

No, Tipplers was in Bread Street on the left hand side as you headed towards the West Port.

The only pub actually in Tollcross that had dancers was Francos Office Bar.

All the go-go bars were West Port - The Western, Bridies and the Burke and Hare. There was also one opposite the Blue Blazer on Bread Street that had dancers.

You know a lot about those kinda places...

Image result for suspicious gif

You know a lot about those kinda places...

Image result for suspicious gif

My wife used to take me to them all.

When she wasn’t playing rugby she was a member of a darts and pool team and these were some of the venues.

:whistling:

Bridge of Djoum
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

My wife used to take me to them all.

When she wasn’t playing rugby she was a member of a darts and pool team and these were some of the venues.

:whistling:

You're lucky Mrs M doesn't read KB.

You're lucky Mrs M doesn't read KB.

I think she sometimes does when I’m sleeping.

I had a frying pan shaped bruise on my chops a couple of mornings ago.

By the way, she was a hooker. (Rugby)

And liked black balls. (Pool)

Bridge of Djoum
Just now, Morgan said:

I think she sometimes does when I’m sleeping.

I had a frying pan shaped bruise on my chops a couple of mornings ago.

By the way, she was a hooker. (Rugby)

And liked black balls. (Pool)

Loves sausage but isn't a butcher.

6 minutes ago, New York Fleapit said:

Loves sausage but isn't a butcher.

Aye, she still talks about you.

In her sleep.

Bridge of Djoum
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

Aye, she still talks about you.

In her sleep.

Just spat my coffee out.

Cheers, Morgan.

millerjames398
On Wed Apr 16 2014 at 21:51, Tazio said:

I'm sure it was the Annfield that they discovered a dead bloke had been sitting at a table all night and nobody had noticed until they tried to chuck him out at the end of the night.

Just got round to reading this thread, some great stories of pubs with a bit flavour to them, there was a dive of a boozer in falkirk called the big bar in bainsford ,during a pool competition a guy passed away on a stool and it wasn't till his name got shouted a few times for his turn,only then they realized he was pan bread he was normally that wrecked they thought he'd just took a wee nap?, the pub and surrounding buildings are due for demolition this summer. 

Toss up between The Springfield Vaults at Parkhead and The Loch Inn. Was in the first just before 96 LC Final. Tables and chairs bolted to the floor and tv in a cage surrounded by chicken wire. I bought a Becks that had a label , "duty free. Not for resale"  The second was over 30 years ago : an utter toilet. 

millerjames398

I'm from stenhousemuir,, so here's some of the hovels Ive frequented round about, gilmours at the top of the valley, a real spit and sawdust booze you wipe your on the way out of? and a fine array of broken noses and scars and that's just the women,the plough which was a good wee pub a bit nutty on Saturday and Sunday mornings and afternoons ,it shut for a refurb and tried to go up market as a sort of coffee and wine bar,as you can imagine there's not a big market for that type of customer in stenny, the crown as well only been in a cpl times seemed to be just old boys enjoying a few pints, also been in the mill inn in chinatoon in falkirk, full of old falkirk casuals, was OK just they all want to regale you with past victories on the terraces, a few old growlers as well, but not too bad, but the crossbow in camelon was something else, a Wednesday morning all the junkies in with razor blades Bacon aftershave sets for sale, simply the best on a constant loop blue pool table cloth, and getting told menacingly by a number of old Jake balls that "kemlin and stenny didny get oan back in the day" when I was asked where I came from, it's a Chinese buffet restaurant now, but not a day goes by I don't think about the place.... ?

Les Izemore
3 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Toss up between The Springfield Vaults at Parkhead and The Loch Inn. Was in the first just before 96 LC Final. Tables and chairs bolted to the floor and tv in a cage surrounded by chicken wire. I bought a Becks that had a label , "duty free. Not for resale"  The second was over 30 years ago : an utter toilet. 

I think the Loch Inn is Edinburgh City’s clubhouse these days.