What's the worst pub you've ever been in ?

fordy

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Bridge of Djoum

• Tazio

• Maroon Sailor

Been living in Newhaven for a dozen years now and have never even contemplated going over the door there. Same with the Prom. There used to be a terrible dive on Craighall Road too called the Lobster Pot, later the Granville, now thankfully closed.

I used to drink in all of those pubs. I quite liked them. Tommy Preston (ex hibs player) used to have the Annfield. He had loads of good stories about Hearts and hibs in the 50s. When we won the cup in 98 we had a party in the Annfield. The Vine Bar on North Junction St is much worse, also the Tam O Shanter on Junction St. For me though the worst bar is the Port O'Leith, full of absolute balloons trying their best to be 'characters'.

I used to drink in all of those pubs. I quite liked them. Tommy Preston (ex hibs player) used to have the Annfield. He had loads of good stories about Hearts and hibs in the 50s. When we won the cup in 98 we had a party in the Annfield. The Vine Bar on North Junction St is much worse, also the Tam O Shanter on Junction St. For me though the worst bar is the Port O'Leith, full of absolute balloons trying their best to be 'characters'.

Tommy is/was a lovely guy(not sure if he's still alive, not seen him in ages), boasted Willie Bauld as his best mate and yes had some cracking stories.

How could I have forgotten the Marksman on Duke Street.

Ha good call. I would like to suggest a plan for the people earlier in the thread who nominated Kay's Bar and the Canny Mans as their 'worst pub.' Plan is as follows: after the derby next Sunday, go down Dunbar St and turn right. Then visit a few of the local watering holes, towards the bottom of Fester Road, turn left and crawl along Duke St and then Constitution St.

If you reach Ocean Terminal and live to tell the tale, come back on here and tell us that the Canny Man's is the worst pub you've been in ...

Went to a boozer out your way,maybe Guida Park in the 80's. It was in the middle of a scheme and only consisted of four concrete walls/roof, iron bars between the punters and the bar staff with a hatch to shove the money/pints through. The locals weren't that friendly either.

There's still an old spit and sawdust pub near Gidea Park station and a rough old hungry horse pub but that's nearer to Harold Hill. Romford pubs nowadays are more for the under 21s, my son is 22 and avoids going out in Romford these days, he usually goes to his girlfriend in Surbiton to go drinking there.

How could I have forgotten the Marksman on Duke Street.

That used to be a truly appalling stretch of dives, Minto's, The Duke's Head and The Marksman. Then the Central Bar round the corner for the stolen goods shopper. Possibly the only time an areas pubs have been gentrified by the addition of a Wotherspoons.

The Saracen Bar, was in it once and saw an old boy being skelped with a bar stool for cheating at domino's.

Everyone around just ignored it had happened including stepping over him on their way to the bar! :lol:

I finished my drink and left, never to return again.

Remnants of Standards

We were having a '98 party in The Annfield when Tommy Preston asked us to stop singing "send the hibs to vietnam hallelujah". "Come on boys, we've suffered enough", he said.

Old school.

The Gunner

I've never been in but walk passed it on my way to college every day. The windows are all boarded up :lol:

Foot of the Walk is a disgusting place. I also hate St Vincent.

King Of The Cat Cafe

I've never been in but walk passed it on my way to college every day. The windows are all boarded up :lol:

Foot of the Walk is a disgusting place. I also hate St Vincent.

I quite like St Vincent - though it does get some poncey media types at Fringe Festival.

Not been in the coach for years, used to be an ok pub back in the 90's.

Not got a clue what it's like now though

Having drunk in it since before then (and still do now) the only thing that has changed is the bog roll.

Even the songs on the juke box are the same.

Was in a bar in London, may have been Camden..

All hell breaks loose as the front door flies open and a woman goes flying across the bar and smacked off the wall.

We were warned we hadn't seen anything.

heartgarfunkel

For me it is The Commercial Hotel in Manchester. A pub with rooms which I was lucky enough to spend a couple of nights in for a stag do.

I think the reviews say enough.

http://www.tripadvis...er_England.html

Superb - love that there five with worse ratings in Manchester than this boutique hotel/gastropub :cheese:

Edited by heartgarfunkel

Foot of the Walk is a disgusting place.

I go in there now and again for a bite to eat , never had / seen a problem.

Jambo_Jarman

I've never been in but there's a friend of mine who says he drank in The Gunner quite frequently and that he's never had any bother. And he's not a hard-man type who others wouldnae pick on if given the chance.

Radio Ga Ga

I've never been in but there's a friend of mine who says he drank in The Gunner quite frequently and that he's never had any bother. And he's not a hard-man type who others wouldnae pick on if given the chance.

My Father in Laws local, I think it got its reputation from years ago, Muirhouse has more or less been been flattened and whenever I've been in never had, nor seen, a bit of bother, only problem its full of H1b5 supporters

joe.gausden

The Gunner is fine.. Not been in a while but years ago the bar was painted battleship grey as they managed to get knock-off paint from somewhere :)

PsychocAndy
The Gunner is fine.. Not been in a while but years ago the bar was painted battleship grey as they managed to get knock-off paint from somewhere :)

I learnt to drink in the Gunner

If there was a fight it would be between guys who knew each other and were "up for it".

The Norett was OK. Used to go there sometimes for a game of cards.

The Waverley and the Captain's Cabin were OK too. I used to play cribbage and they had a couple of teams in the league.

The only thing the Willie Muir had going for it is if you wanted your car stolen you parked it there.

The Anchor in Granton was a bit iffy. If you knew people it was OK but if you were a stranger then the locals treated you like you were the police and they didn't mind paggering the police.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure if already mentioned, but always thought this place looks like a complete shithole.

70681_1aaf6699.jpg?w=2

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck........

Jambo_Jarman

Has any one mentioned the Silver Wing?

I've drank in the Wing quite a few times when Hearts have been playing. Never had any bother myself. Saw one fight but nothing over the top and was split up very quickly.

I've been away from Edinburgh for a long time, but it is always great to hear the old pub names. Captains Cabin, Silver Wing, Centurion, Gunner,the Norhet (surely not on anyone's list of "worst pubs'??) and the Annfield Bar were all places I ended up in now and again. Certainly saw more "trouble" at the trendy places up town than in these places.

I used to gives Kay's Bar a miss. There was a real dick that managed the place.

RE:The Annfield

Working in asda I go to the the annfield fairly regularly, I'm a little shocked that there have been people in who haven't felt welcome as I always thought the regulars there were quite welcoming to strangers (not saying those people are lying btw).

Agree that the place is a little unorthadox, there doesn't seem to be any structure and you get the feeling that it's run on a day to day basis.

I genuinly laughed at the post about the guy who "looks about 12", I know exactly who you mean, hes also an asda worker and unsurprisingly a hibby,he's actually an ok lad if a little loud.

The pissed barman wasn't a somewhat round and bespectacled guy was he? Again,asda worker, who sometimes helps out.

The common theme on this post is "asda", in all honesty if it wasn't for the store then doors probably would have closed by now.

It's by no means a top quality boozer but I don't think it belongs in this thread either.

Oh and as for the Deal or no deal thing (shit patter by the guys btw), they do go a bit radge with shows like that, you should hear them when "The Chase" is on.

:)

Agree that The Annfield shouldn't be in this 'thread' I've drank in there for years.Plenty of good lads in there. As for people staring at you when you go in, I think you'll agree that happens in most 'local' pubs. Also drink in The Prom Bar, and also imo a good pub.

sorry Stuart ... I meant the one in Glasgow next to Parkhead

back in edinburgh .. the Vietnam ( Dundee Arms? ) opposite Fountain Park

:lol: My birds Dad used to drink there! some stories like, also my mate used to stay in Murdoch Terrace so we'd sometimes go there after the games.

You'd be shocked if you went there now but!!

:lol: My birds Dad used to drink there! some stories like, also my mate used to stay in Murdoch Terrace so we'd sometimes go there after the games.

Went there before the league cup game, table service, light jazz, swedish meatballs and leffe!

Radio Ga Ga

Always wondered how the Dundee Arms was known as The Vietnam?

PsychocAndy

Always wondered how the Dundee Arms was known as The Vietnam?

I think it had to do with there being open warfare in there most days.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Cardiac Rucksack

Any pub in Denny. The Donner especially.

The Bank in Alloa is an experience as well.

When I lived in Winchburgh years ago there were 2 pubs, the Tally Ho and the Star And Garter on the High Street. The bar of the Tally Ho was alright but nothing glamorous, however the Star on the High Street was a tip. As is often the case in small towns the pubs were meant to be the catholic and protestant pubs. I found it to be more the Tally was anyone and the Star was rampant Hun nutters.

PsychocAndy

Went through to Armadale once and spent the day in The Masonic Arms. Hun central. You could tell the non local by the fact that everyone bar us had Red Hand t shirts on.

Think I've drunk in every dodgy pub in Scotland. My least favourite is the Canny Man but the undoubted worst was a place outside Celtic Park whose name escapes me. It was a tiny place up a side street off London Road. It made the Springfield Vaults look fantastic.

the general

most of the pubs round Maine Road were seriously dodgy,some had alsatians gaurding the roofs,hardly any stock until enough money had been handed over the bar to fund a trip to the cash and carry or a visit from dial-a-keg

plus loads of dodgy locals coming in and out selling everything from knock off City strips to drugs and electrical goods

The People's Chimp

So many horrific bars through here in Glasgow. Mainly up the East end. Those hun central ones in Brig'ton you'd never go near, and then green painted dumps like the Balmoral in Calton.

One that sticks out, nowhere near the worst though, is the John Stirling Maxwell, in Shawlands. Shawlands is a nice area, but...

The John Stirling Maxwell is a Wetherspoons, it is a sedate, quiet, old man style pub during the week, is fine for a cheap fry up on a sunday, but on a Friday and Saturday night is a destination venue for every bam in the southside - arden, carnwadric, pollokshaws, kennishead, thornliebank - who wants a night out and a scrap. We were in one saturday afternoon and it led into evening. By about 6.30pm there had been 5 scraps and one boy had hurled an ice bucket at a bar maid, glasses were getting chucked about and ra polis had been in 3 times already! Standard stuff for a saturday night. :lol:

Edited by The People's Chimp

Cairneyhill Jambo

I can't remember if it was the Windsor or Old Salt bar on Leith Walk.

A few of us were going to a derby game at Easter Road and couldn't get into Robbies Bar, our usual.

It was an absolute howff. There was a used condom on the floor in the middle of the bar and the locals had more fingers than teeth. Needlesss to say, we finished our pint and bolted.

Think I've drunk in every dodgy pub in Scotland. My least favourite is the Canny Man but the undoubted worst was a place outside Celtic Park whose name escapes me. It was a tiny place up a side street off London Road. It made the Springfield Vaults look fantastic.

Before the Faroes game? Was it not the Oak or the Five Ways? Even the barman told me to have a bottle and leave the pints alone.

Worst I've been in was the Clubhouse in Musselburgh, rubbish pub with a horrible atmosphere, felt like it was going to kick off at any minute. I was in for two pints and saw a fight and two seperate arguments.

The Gunner gets a bad rap, but was always pretty harmless when I'd been in, still don't fully trust a pub with no windows and hospital doors though.

Before the Faroes game? Was it not the Oak or the Five Ways? Even the barman told me to have a bottle and leave the pints alone.

Worst I've been in was the Clubhouse in Musselburgh, rubbish pub with a horrible atmosphere, felt like it was going to kick off at any minute. I was in for two pints and saw a fight and two seperate arguments.

The Gunner gets a bad rap, but was always pretty harmless when I'd been in, still don't fully trust a pub with no windows and hospital doors though.

might have been the Oak. It was a hovel whatever it was. Bogs were ankle deep in pish.

Jambo_Jarman

Went through to Armadale once and spent the day in The Masonic Arms. Hun central. You could tell the non local by the fact that everyone bar us had Red Hand t shirts on.

If only there was a clue in the title to warn you...

Edited by Jambo_Jarman

Say What Again

Agree that The Annfield shouldn't be in this 'thread' I've drank in there for years.Plenty of good lads in there. As for people staring at you when you go in, I think you'll agree that happens in most 'local' pubs. Also drink in The Prom Bar, and also imo a good pub.

To be fair mate I think the thread has descended into more of 'tell a story about a pub' :lol:

There's no way, The Annfield, or a host of the others mentioned, deserve to be on a 'Worst pub you've ever been in thread'. I'd suggest if the likes of The Annfield/Three Sisters/Centurion/Prom Bar/Hayweights etc are genuinely they worst pubs folk have ever been in, then they must barely venture further than George Street :lol:

Edited by Say What Again

To be fair mate I think the thread has descended into more of 'tell a story about a pub' :lol:

There's no way, The Annfield, or a host of the others mentioned, deserve to be on a 'Worst pub you've ever been in thread'. I'd suggest if the likes of The Annfield/Three Sisters/Centurion/Prom Bar/Hayweights etc are genuinely they worst pubs folk have ever been in, then they must barely venture further than George Street :lol:

I don't think the Lazy Wasp (Busy Bee) should be on a worst pub list either,

When I lived in Winchburgh years ago there were 2 pubs, the Tally Ho and the Star And Garter on the High Street. The bar of the Tally Ho was alright but nothing glamorous, however the Star on the High Street was a tip. As is often the case in small towns the pubs were meant to be the catholic and protestant pubs. I found it to be more the Tally was anyone and the Star was rampant Hun nutters.
Star shut years ago, used to visit the Tally Ho quite often with my mate who lives in the Burgh.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Star burnt down a bit suspiciously years ago, used to visit the Tally Ho quite often with my mate who lives in the Burgh.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

FTFY