Pub/Club Name Changes Over the Years

CostaJambo

The pub that is now the Red Squirrel on Lothian Road must hold the record surely. It used to change its name at least once a year.

Probably more than that.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got another one, Joe's Garage, near the foot of Lothian Road. Anyone else remember a tiny wee kebab shop on the same block but nearer Princes Street, just before the corner?

Red Squirrel's previous names

The Capital

Fresh\The Office

FAze

Schloss Bierkeller

The Berkley

Ferret & Trouser Leg

Paddy"s

The Vat & Fiddle Pub

Right enough. It was the Ark when I went :facepalm:

Was it also called the peppermint lounge at one point? Was certainly the ark when I mostly went.

Red Squirrel's previous names

The Capital

Fresh\The Office

FAze

Schloss Bierkeller

The Berkley

Ferret & Trouser Leg

Paddy"s

The Vat & Fiddle Pub

Add to that The Au Bar 2.

Does anyone remember the name of the Horseshoe (formerly Luckies) being called something else for a very short spell ?

I think it was the first time it was called something else after Luckies, it went back to being called Luckies then the Horsehoe as it is now.

Few folk earlier in the thread seem to be mixing up The Hudson/Bacaro/Angels Share and the Rutland/Rutland No1/whatever it's called now across the street! Pretty sure The Hudson was the first name after converting the old post office??

Other bad one for name changes is the one up on Bristo Street currently the Potting Shed but was Innes & Gunn before that and sure it was a vodka bar at some point too!

Few folk earlier in the thread seem to be mixing up The Hudson/Bacaro/Angels Share and the Rutland/Rutland No1/whatever it's called now across the street! Pretty sure The Hudson was the first name after converting the old post office??

Other bad one for name changes is the one up on Bristo Street currently the Potting Shed but was Innes & Gunn before that and sure it was a vodka bar at some point too!

I still think it was Biancos.

Cabaret Voltaire > The Peppermint Lounge > Cabaret Voltaire

The Vaults > Cabaret Voltaire > The Hive

Wilkie House > Faith > ??

Medina > The Third Door > Medina

The Lane > Noa > Berlin > The Lane > ?? > The Lane

The Jaffa Cake > Gaia > Stereo > SIlk

Just realise I'm talking **** with the top two.

Should be:

The Honeycomb > The Peppermint Lounge > Not sure if it was The Honeycomb for a while again before being renamed Cabaret Voltaire

The Vaults > The Honeycomb > The Hive

The Balmoral changed to Bensons.

The Music Box changed to Liquid Rooms.

First club I was ever in was "The Kitchen" down the Cowgate. Dunno what its called now

Anyone mentioned the Scrubway night club yet now called Tropicana

It was also called Karma before becoming Club T.

Westburys > Alphabet > Agenda > The White Lady

Brian Whittaker's Tache

My mate did the Hudson out when it changed from being a post office.

AIUI There was a boozer at the front and the post office to the back and below (down the wee lane) the lot were amalgamated together.

Bianco's was a cracking boozer decor wise back in the day. Two of my Ma's younger work mates used to take me and my mate in so we never got bothered for ID. Bianco's and City Cafe (when Sam was the owner and it first opened) were the two coolest boozers in town for your young stylish cats about town!!

Just realise I'm talking **** with the top two.

Should be:

The Honeycomb > The Peppermint Lounge > Not sure if it was The Honeycomb for a while again before being renamed Cabaret Voltaire

The Vaults > The Honeycomb > The Hive

Noticed that too but couldn't remember at which point they were the Honeycomb!

Carl Spackler

Sure the Jaffa Cake was something else before that and the name changes afterwards. Pretty sure it was once Napier Student Union too.

Toxteth O'Grady

My mate did the Hudson out when it changed from being a post office.

AIUI There was a boozer at the front and the post office to the back and below (down the wee lane) the lot were amalgamated together.

Bianco's was a cracking boozer decor wise back in the day. Two of my Ma's younger work mates used to take me and my mate in so we never got bothered for ID. Bianco's and City Cafe (when Sam was the owner and it first opened) were the two coolest boozers in town for your young stylish cats about town!!

I'm pretty sure this is Biancos in the old tenants lager advert

Debut 4 - it was called Young's for a while

Jambojase - any idea when the Red Squirrel was called the Au Bar 2

1999/2000?

Sure the Jaffa Cake was something else before that and the name changes afterwards. Pretty sure it was once Napier Student Union too.

The Shack?

Debut 4 - it was called Young's for a while

Jambojase - any idea when the Red Squirrel was called the Au Bar 2

Cheers.

Lorenzo - the Hermitage was originally the Commercial Bar

Cheers. Be interested to know what it's like these days. Might have to pop in for a pint.

Sheriff Fatman

Got another one, Joe's Garage, near the foot of Lothian Road. Anyone else remember a tiny wee kebab shop on the same block but nearer Princes Street, just before the corner?

Dario's Moonlighting?

Yeh you're right. Always wished I'd had a pint in the Auld Clachan for some reason. Even if it looked a run down wee place.

. I used to drink In the Centre spot our pal worked behind the bar always went there on his break. It was run down. There used to be another pub further along can't remember the name tho.

Tam's Bird the Centre Spot used to be the Regal Arms - the pub to the east of it was The Hopetoun (also called the Festival Alehouse, Morrisons' and Lewbowski's)

Pubs towards the Haymarket were the Barley Bree, Ladyfield (briefly the Morrison Park and the Auld Reekie)

Samuel Camazzola

My first pint in a pub was the Rob Roy in the Inch when I was 14.

It's houses now I think. :(

It's a couple of blocks of flats now. My mate has the old Pub sign in has garden.

Samuel Camazzola

Is that the place that was Native State for years? Used to go there fairly regularly.

The Woolpack before that I think.

Shanks said no

The Balmoral changed to Bensons.

I should have mentioned this one, since I drink there!, was there not a pub, roughly where Maplin is now in Dalry that was also called Bensons?

Also "findlays" in st andrews square became "The Burgh" which became "Burns Bothy" or something like that.

Sadly now a KFC, used to be a decent boozer.

Also "findlays" in st andrews square became "The Burgh" which became "Burns Bothy" or something like that.

Sadly now a KFC, used to be a decent boozer.

Was never in that place. Hate typing nonsense like this but I was always under the impression that was a "CCS" pub?

The pub near Maplins (think it was in the Kebab shop) was originally called Eric Brown's - famous Scottsih golfer. It was called Buggy's at one time as well as Benson's Cafe Bar.

Glamorgan Jambo

Winstons was previously The Sovereign which was previously a launderette (in Corstorphine)

The White Lady (again in Corstorphine) was originally Dingwall's furniture shop.

On the 'ahem' other side of town The harp and Castle was previously the Walk Inn which had a short interlude as the Tommy Younger bar when it was run by one of Tommy's relatives.

The pub near Maplins (think it was in the Kebab shop) was originally called Eric Brown's - famous Scottsih golfer. It was called Buggy's at one time as well as Benson's Cafe Bar.

correct saw the Exploited there and the Thompson Twins

not on the same night

Does anyone remember the name of the Horseshoe (formerly Luckies) being called something else for a very short spell ?

I think it was the first time it was called something else after Luckies, it went back to being called Luckies then the Horsehoe as it is now.

I dont think so

Hanover St - was it no 97 if so it was laterally Bar Bols and has been called Danny's Den, Stanley's Bar, Dug Wi Twa Tails

Waverley Bridge was Acanthus for a while. Was a good pre club pub. Where all the beautiful people like myself used to meet.

Archived