Pub/Club Name Changes Over the Years

CostaJambo

Find it interesting how some pubs/clubs change their names over the years. Will start with a few, can anybody add?

1. The Muirhouse Arms, McKenzie's - D. Mains

2. The Burnt Post - Lothia Road

3. Annabel's, Zenatec, Red Hot Pepper Club - Tollcross

4. The Amphitheatre, Century 2000 - Lothian Road

5. Coasters, Outer Limits - Tollcross

6. Topo's -Grindlay Street

Kebab shops too.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it not usually unsuccessful pubs that change names? As they get new owners etc, the name tends to change.

Also assumed it was some sort of tax dodge.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Find it interesting how some pubs/clubs change their names over the years. Will start with a few, can anybody add?

1. The Muirhouse Arms, McKenzie's - D. Mains

2. The Burnt Post - Lothia Road

3. Annabel's, Zenatec, Red Hot Pepper Club - Tollcross

4. The Amphitheatre, Century 2000 - Lothian Road

5. Coasters, Outer Limits - Tollcross

6. Topo's -Grindlay Street

Kebab shops too.

3 - Establishment (I think) after Red Hot.

4 - Revolution after Century 2000

How many times has bozer that used to be flares changed names opposite ryans at the West End.

Can't remember what it's called now, think it was hudsons for a while.

Has the Tynecastle Arms always been called that? My old man calls it something else

Campbells, back to the days when pubs used to get called after their owners even if it wasn't the real name of the pub. The Northern at Canonmills was always Marshall's to my old man.

How many times has bozer that used to be flares changed names opposite ryans at the West End.

The Angels Share

The Angels Share

Is that the bit that used to be The Rutland and No1?

The Muirhouse Arms was called McKenzies by the Older guys on the Drylaw bus in the late 70's so I take it it was called that first.

Was Coasters not Clouds?

3 - Establishment (I think) after Red Hot.

4 - Revolution after Century 2000

3- was ark or attic before establishment

Libertonian_II

The Muirhouse Arms was called McKenzies by the Older guys on the Drylaw bus in the late 70's so I take it it was called that first.

Was Coasters not Clouds?

Cavendish before clouds I think. Became the New Cavendish at some point

Billy Dynamite

Too many to mention really. Auld Clachan changed a bit when it turned to Banter and is it Lock 51 or something now?

Brian Whittaker's Tache

The Angels Share

Bianco's when I first started drinking there about 1984

Bianco's when I first started drinking there about 1984

Yep, me too. My first pint in a city pub was in the Highwayman in the bus station around 1978.

Too many to mention really. Auld Clachan changed a bit when it turned to Banter and is it Lock 51 or something now?

Banters is on bread street

Lock 51 is on god knows what street (but near the old palais)

Auld clachan was knocked down for the new canal thingy?

anyway three different pubs..

queensferryjambo

Was Coasters not Clouds?

Yes and it was also called The Network and Outer Limits in different incarnations. It was originally called The Cavendish Ballroom and went full circle and got called the Cavendish again after all the name changes.

First pint was The Cottar's Howff on Rose Street. Don't even know if it's still there.

I remember when Century 2000 was the Caley Cinema and The Dome was the RBS 'International Branch'.

First club in Edinburgh I was in was Mad Hatters on the High Street.

Yeh you're right. Always wished I'd had a pint in the Auld Clachan for some reason. Even if it looked a run down wee place.

queensferryjambo

As for clubs most will remember The Venue on Calton Road but it started life as The Jailhouse.

After it stuck with the name The Venue it had numerous clubs. Earliest I remember being The Moshpit. When dance music started coming in the club was called UFO then it became PURE on a Friday night for 10 solid years. Saturday nights started as a club called Wave but then changed a fair few times to Disco Inferno, Tribal Funktion, Summer House, Chocolate City, Mother Funk, Scratch and so on.....

The Venue is now some guff gallery - shame it was a good night spot.

Yeh you're right. Always wished I'd had a pint in the Auld Clachan for some reason. Even if it looked a run down wee place.

Was only in it once.

After robbos do in the tartans clubs(bernard manning)

Fergie,foster and berry i think were in,may have been others.

Party songs..lates 80's ..it happened..different days :uhoh2:

queensferryjambo

I remember when Century 2000 was the Caley Cinema

It changed its name to the Caley Palais during the 80s as well and bands used to play quite regularly - saw The Sisters of Mercy, Hanoi Rocks and The Smiths there.

It changed its name to the Caley Palais during the 80s as well and bands used to play quite regularly - saw The Sisters of Mercy, Hanoi Rocks and The Smiths there.

Luved the Sisters..

now there was a cheery wee band :-)

queensferryjambo

Luved the Sisters..

now there was a cheery wee band :-)

Just a smoke machine a drum machine and a lot of noise - magic :)

It was The Clachan, then Antellers, then The Auld Clachan. I got banned from Antellers because someone told the owner I robbed the place. I never. Then met the Far to good for the likes of me, Mrs PsychocAndy in there. She wasn't in there but walked passed when I was drinking with 2 of her cousins.

The Northern at Canonmills was always Marshall's to my old man.

Has been The Orchard for a while now. The Hanging Bat has been Mr Modo's and Uluru since I started drinking.

Banters is on bread street

Lock 51 is on god knows what street (but near the old palais)

Auld clachan was knocked down for the new canal thingy?

anyway three different pubs..

Lock 51 is The Auld Clachan, pub you are thinking of no longer there was The Port of Hamilton

What's Oblomov called now. It became Car Wash and I think it might have been called Misty on the Mound before Oblomov. By the way, that's where Pure started ( Oblomov ) before moving to the Venue.

The Muirhouse Arms was called that way back in 1901. The Cottar's Howf is now part of Milne's Bar. The Hanging Bat was the Motor Bar when I worked in Lothian House in the late 60s. The Tynecastle Arms has been Campbell's, Hares and the Midlothian Bar way back in 1894. Robertson's has been Billy's Bar, The Green Tree Tavern, The Green Tree and the Gorgie Arms. The Northern Bar at one time was called Sutherland's Bar.

Billy Dynamite

Auld Clachan was bought with a view to knocking the walls down into the next building to make Banter. Knew the guy that did it because I drank in there at the time. Never went to Uluru much but they did cheap vodka.

Used to drink in the Northern regularly when worked at Tanfield along with Maclachlans and Stags Head both of which have changed recently.

Carwash is now The Wash both OK places especially Carwash.

Billy Dynamite

Stereo is now Silk I think. Had the dubious honour of being refused entry when it was Gaia the bouncers probably did me a favour.

Cabaret Voltaire > The Peppermint Lounge > Cabaret Voltaire

The Vaults > Cabaret Voltaire > The Hive

Wilkie House > Faith > ??

Medina > The Third Door > Medina

The Lane > Noa > Berlin > The Lane > ?? > The Lane

The Jaffa Cake > Gaia > Stereo > SIlk

Not so much a name change as a business model change I picked up a guide in town the other day and there was a banner advert for "Nobles Cafe Bar" . A sure sign of the gentrification of Leith as in the 70s Nobles was renowned for its "Entertainment"

Also one of my early dens the Cotters Howf has now morphed entirely into part of Milnes. I have a great story about the Howf following the Leipzeg game.

Archived