Pub/Club Name Changes Over the Years

CostaJambo

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was never in that place. Hate typing nonsense like this but I was always under the impression that was a "CCS" pub?

Couldn't tell you mate but if it was I didn't notice and never heard anything to contrary.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Mclachlans in Canonmills is now the Cross & Corner and across the road the Stags Head is now The Other Place.

Fishtank - Bramble. Fairly sure it's had at least 1 other name in last 10 years but can't remember what

queen street oyster bar?

Samuel Camazzola

Waverley Bridge was Acanthus for a while. Was a good pre club pub. Where all the beautiful people like myself used to meet.

Before Mercado? That was a pre-club haunt for me too.

Billy Dynamite

Mclachlans in Canonmills is now the Cross & Corner and across the road the Stags Head is now The Other Place.

Both seem a bit fur coat no knickers. There's not many decent places in that area, Smithies is ok and Elbow in Bellevue I suppose. Apart from that it's Broughton St or Stockbridge.

Does anyone remember when Yo Sushi used to be the Kipper M**ge?

When we were kids we used to visit my Da' in the Pans, on the way back we would get the bus to St.Andrew's Sq. walk along the lane to get the 27 at the Sik Tae F+k Chinese Restaurant. Always made us smile.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

The World's End on the High Street, pretty sure it changed its name for a while after the links to the double murder in 1977, anyone any idea what it was called before reverting back to The Worlds End?

The Balmoral changed to Bensons.

The Music Box changed to Liquid Rooms.

First club I was ever in was "The Kitchen" down the Cowgate. Dunno what its called now

Prior to the Kitchen that place was called The Pelican.

Burned down in the big fire about ten years ago. Buildings have now been rebuilt with another Allan Murray Architects sandstone cladded stinker of a building.

Yes. Had a members card for Eye Candy. I honestly thought my shit didn't stink in 2003. Now I believe I would be deemed what the kids are want to call a "rocket"!!!!!! Being a bit of harsh on myself there. Were very good times.

Samuel Camazzola

Yes. Had a members card for Eye Candy. I honestly thought my shit didn't stink in 2003. Now I believe I would be deemed what the kids are want to call a "rocket"!!!!!! Being a bit of harsh on myself there. Were very good times.

Very good times! The Eye Candy Twins an' all that! Haha

queensferryjambo

Sure the Jaffa Cake was something else before that and the name changes afterwards. Pretty sure it was once Napier Student Union too.

I was studying at Napier when they bought / leased the building club on Kings Stable Road. It was called the Jaffa Cake when Napier took it over (not sure if it was going before then).

I went to the opening night that was Napier matriculation cards only. They hired the band Oui 3 to open the club - they had a chart single 'Break from the Old Routine' in the charts at the time think it was 1993.

Carl Spackler

I was studying at Napier when they bought / leased the building club on Kings Stable Road. It was called the Jaffa Cake when Napier took it over (not sure if it was going before then).

I went to the opening night that was Napier matriculation cards only. They hired the band Oui 3 to open the club - they had a chart single 'Break from the Old Routine' in the charts at the time think it was 1993.

I don't think I ever went to it when Napier ran it. That's interesting it was the Jaffa Cake then though, my mind playing tricks on me as I was thinking it was something else inbetween. I couldn't tell you before that, before my time.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Both seem a bit fur coat no knickers. There's not many decent places in that area, Smithies is ok and Elbow in Bellevue I suppose. Apart from that it's Broughton St or Stockbridge.

I have to agree with you here, pop into Smithies now and again. Never heard of the Elbow; might give it a try soon. Clarks Bar in Dundas Street is ok though.

Billy Dynamite

Wouldn't bother I've just had a look at the website and it's closed until new management take it over! Quite liked the place, it played decent music but maybe not the best location for a bar.

Has the pub at The Bank Hotel changed its name recently?

It's now called the Inn on The Mile or something. Was it always this?

Same here. Was a good place. Went a lot in the early noughties.

The Gunner - The Pennyfarthing - The Gunner

The Ferryboat - Steamboat (?) - The Ferryboat

Showing my class here but it has been over 30 years since I was in the Ferryboat and about 25 since I was in the Gunner, a one of or that would be about 30 years too.

Bonnie Prince Charlie

Elm bar has changed to? Can't remember the new name but I was in yesterday and at ?3.70 a pint it will be while before I'm Back.

The Gunner - The Pennyfarthing - The Gunner

The Ferryboat - Steamboat (?) - The Ferryboat

Showing my class here but it has been over 30 years since I was in the Ferryboat and about 25 since I was in the Gunner, a one of or that would be about 30 years too.

/

Ferryboat was buzbys at one time

/

Ferryboat was buzbys at one time

I don't remember that, I'm from the late 70's early 80's

Has the pub at The Bank Hotel changed its name recently?

It's now called the Inn on The Mile or something. Was it always this?

Was in there on Saturday, never noticed :lol:

queensferryjambo

Mercado??

You mean Bobby Browns :afro:

Was this the same place that was once called Buster Browns in the 90s?

I don't remember that, I'm from the late 70's early 80's

It was in the 80s no-one ever used that though. Always just referred to as ferryboat. I'm sure it had another name but can't remember what

what was the pub on Waverley Bridge .... now Jimmy Chungs

and the Penguin Cafe? in Hannover / Frederick Street

Acanthus.

The Balmoral changed to Bensons.

The Music Box changed to Liquid Rooms.

First club I was ever in was "The Kitchen" down the Cowgate. Dunno what its called now

And was The Auld Worthies before it was The Balmoral

Baws! That's what I meant.

To be fair, there's every chance they played some of Bobby Brown's music. But that's their prerogative....

On the Ivanhoe, did that not become a vodka bar (Moscow or Kremlin or something)?

Bar-Ce-Lona>Human Be-In>54 North

The pub near Maplins (think it was in the Kebab shop) was originally called Eric Brown's - famous Scottsih golfer. It was called Buggy's at one time as well as Benson's Cafe Bar.

Yep Eric Brown's was where the curry shop is now. Became a bit of a biker bar with bands on regularly. Said establishment wtnessed an historic brawl (circa 1978 I think?) between the biker fraternity and Edinburgh's finest boys in blue. Couple of cops took a real battering while my mate (and colleagues) dished it out to one of the biker boys boys in the back of a paddy wagon. Similar fate for a number of others. Pub was a quiet unassumig establishment compared to The Clock Inn on the other side of the road though (no longer there).

queensferryjambo

Baws! That's what I meant.

I only went there a few times it was ok from what I remember. Seen a few bands there during the day when they were doing gigs for Radio broadcasts (don't kill me but Fish was one of them). Each time left steaming by lunch time :)

I only went there a few times it was ok from what I remember. Seen a few bands there during the day when they were doing gigs for Radio broadcasts (don't kill me but Fish was one of them). Each time left steaming by lunch time :)

Sad to admit it but it was the 80's not the 90's when I went there. Not my type of place but some of my mates liked it. I preferred clubs that played decent music, not meat markets.

The Fountain on Dundee St used to be the Dundee Arms.

Nah - was never the Dundee Arms - that's only what the sign said! It was VIETNAM. Even the edinburgh Pub Guide in the day used to call it Vietnam and had a warning message! In my time living in Polwarth, there were 2 murders in or outside the place and numerous stabbings. I used to work for S&N and picked up my monthly "freeby" allowance there. Never stayed for a pint but plenty funny looks and scowls when I went in. When Scottish Brewers built their new HQ over the road, they couldn't possibly have their flagship local sporting such a reputation, so tried very hard to clean it up, including a name change. However, only recently under it's newest regeneration has it finally shed the old baggage. As a bistro/eatery it's now very good, but I wonder sometimes if it could do with a bit more "colour".

Does anyone remember that when the knuckle dragging psycho's were frequenting Vietnam, their suited and booted paymasters were along the road in Clancy's (next to Victor Paris)?

Also no mention yet for The Yeman Bar (which was a jakey dive) now the very fine Golden Rule?

How things have changed down Polwarth/North Merchie way!!!!

Archived