• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Last night walking along Stenhouse Drive to meet the wife , the pavement is split into two halves , one for pedestrians the other for cyclists . 
Why is it that the pedestrian half is closest to the road ? 

reason I ask is some ******* in a car went thru a puddle and I got a hibs fans bath , not ****ing happy about it .😡

Great phrase; I've not seen it before. 

Edinburgh council (and the roads & planning, especially) has always been a model of good sense and sound judgement. Why they'd come up with an arse over tit plan for road users is a mystery. It must be an aberration. 

John Gentleman
13 hours ago, Taffin said:

I imagine the bit in bold is the main reason; that simply it wouldn't be able to stop at that speed before running out of runway.

Or, once they hit a certain speed the lift being generated is such that the plane will take off and trying to air brake or adjust the flaps at that speed would be impossible to control.

Both just guesses though on my part.

I like the Langer story 👍😂

Not quite. Takeoff speed is known as 'Vr' (rotational velocity). Providing the aircraft is otherwise trimmed and configured properly (flaps down etc), at this speed a pilot will announce "rotate" and (in the case of Boeings) pull on the yoke which causes the front of the aircraft to lift (ie, 'rotate'). This speed will vary depending on aircraft weight, weather conditions etc as will the angle of this rotation (Angle of Attack - AoA).

been here before
37 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Not quite. Takeoff speed is known as 'Vr' (rotational velocity). Providing the aircraft is otherwise trimmed and configured properly (flaps down etc), at this speed a pilot will announce "rotate" and (in the case of Boeings) pull on the yoke which causes the front of the aircraft to lift (ie, 'rotate'). This speed will vary depending on aircraft weight, weather conditions etc as will the angle of this rotation (Angle of Attack - AoA).

If they ever make Carry On Flying theres the script right there.

59 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

Thanks for that, it's very interesting. I was just taking a guess so it's nice to learn how it actually works. Cheers 👍👍

I like aviation but don't really know anything about it from a practical point of view so always nice to learn something new.

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

I mentioned this on a thread in the terrace but got no answers. 
When did flags at the halfway line stop being used by clubs and specifically Tynecastle? 

Weird one that - some non-league clubs still use them (they are still optional) but you are very unlikely to see them in league games.  I am guessing it may be because they have to be at least 1 yard from the line and really serve no purpose .  Looking at Back from the brink' - I can see one in footage from 1977, but not 1979 onwards, unless my eyes are deceiving me!

best I could come up with!

How would the present generations coped without a washing machine, tumble drier, dish washer, mobile phone, car, combi-boiler, central heating, electric shower, microwave, fridge-freezer, holidays abroad? Or has anxiety increased since the introduction of the aforementioned?

4 hours ago, John Gentleman said:

There are actually three key speeds that are used on takeoff: V1, Vr and V2. 

V1, also known as 'decision ' or 'commit-to-fly' speed, is the point of no return. As ML states above, once a plane reaches this speed it can no longer safely stop on the remaining length of runway, so any problem after this point you take into the air with you and sort it out there. The reasoning behind this is that it's typically safer to do that rather than run off the end of the runway and hit something. It is calculated for each take-off individually and depends on runway surface, weather conditions, airport altitude, aircraft type, weight, etc. 

Vr, also known as 'take-off' speed comes after V1 and as JG states, is the speed when the pilot in control can begin lifting the nose of the aircraft off the ground. 

V2, also known as 'take-off safety' speed, comes after Vr and reflects the minimum speed that the plane must be flying in the event that one engine fails after V1 in order to be at a minimum altitude of 35 ft at the end of the runway and be able to climb at a rate sufficient to avoid any nearby obstacles. All planes must show that they can reach V2 on one engine as part of its certification. 

This video from Manchester a few years back shows the last part in action. The pilot has already reached Vr and begins to lift-off when he nails the bird. The right engine is immediately shutdown and he continues climbing safely at V2 before circling back to the airport. 

7 hours ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

How would the present generations coped without a washing machine, tumble drier, dish washer, mobile phone, car, combi-boiler, central heating, electric shower, microwave, fridge-freezer, holidays abroad? Or has anxiety increased since the introduction of the aforementioned?

A lot of the present generations probably didn't have a lot of things for large parts of their lives. My parents certainly didn't.

From that list I don't have: tumble drier, dish washer, combi boiler, central heating or an electric shower. 

I'd struggle without a washing machine, car and a mobile phone but I could probably get along fine without a fridge-freezer.

Edited by Taffin

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

A lot of the present generations probably didn't have a lot of things for large parts of their lives. My parents certainly didn't.

From that list I don't have: tumble drier, dish washer, combi boiler, central heating or an electric shower. 

I'd struggle without a washing machine, car and a mobile phone but I could probably get along fine without a fridge-freezer.

I would struggle without at least one of those.

7 hours ago, Del Monty said:

I would struggle without at least one of those.

In fairness, I do have an immersion tank, under floor heating and a mixer shower 😂😂😂

10 hours ago, Taffin said:

Do you have a drying area, wash basin, immersion heater, comfy climate and a bath?

Both sets of my grandparents never had any of the mod-cons previously mentioned, but seemed happier, content and in control. My parents however with mortgage, two jobs, one car, holiday abroad and with banks falling over themselves to lend money, always seemed to toil. I suppose living with parents opposed to just visiting grandparents generated different atmospheres.

Just saw the above post...😂😂😂

Edited by Old Blue Eyes
Timing

51 minutes ago, Old Blue Eyes said:

Do you have a drying area, wash basin, immersion heater, comfy climate and a bath?

Both sets of my grandparents never had any of the mod-cons previously mentioned, but seemed happier, content and in control. My parents however with mortgage, two jobs, one car, holiday abroad and with banks falling over themselves to lend money, always seemed to toil. I suppose living with parents opposed to just visiting grandparents generated different atmospheres.

I do have those things, yes 😂😂

I'm not sure it's the mod cons that cause the issues though, but rather the society they exist in. Whilst I was being flippant about not having those things, I think if  society didn't require me to work in offices and drive to them etc I'd get by okay without a shower, a washing machine and a car and a mobile phone.

I think we only need them because society has become such that it would be hard to function in it without them rather than the individuals fundamentally needing them.

If I had the job my grandfather had, I think I'd be fine just as he was without having the mod cons. Equally, I think the older generations would struggle to exist in modern society without mod cons. 

Edited by Taffin

15 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Maybe belongs in The Terrace, but ...

Was today's 5-0 win our best result since the Championship year?

thik so leaf not that i lasted

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

thik so leaf not that i lasted

At least you showed up. You get full marks for that.

17 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Maybe belongs in The Terrace, but ...

Was today's 5-0 win our best result since the Championship year?

We beat Motherwell 6-0 in 2015/16 and had two 5-0s in the LC last season.

11 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

We beat Motherwell 6-0 in 2015/16 and had two 5-0s in the LC last season.

Thanks.  :thumb:

Why does a lovely hot cup of tea taste so amazingly delicious however slurping the last mouthful when it’s gone cold makes you fire it back into the mug ? 😁

How come fans who decide to go to the gorgie fish bar and stink the stand out with there fish at matches get through the turnstiles and the security at the gates .  Always though they would stop this fans opting buying the over priced foot in the ground .

I've seen pictures of the stunning sunset that occurred in Scotland on Sunday evening.  It was spectacular.  There were scattered clouds, which turned into a wide range of red, orange, and yellow.

The circumstances yesterday were not unusual ... setting sun, scattered clouds; it happens a lot. 

What I'm wondering is why spectacular sunsets are so rare?

49 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I've seen pictures of the stunning sunset that occurred in Scotland on Sunday evening.  It was spectacular.  There were scattered clouds, which turned into a wide range of red, orange, and yellow.

The circumstances yesterday were not unusual ... setting sun, scattered clouds; it happens a lot. 

What I'm wondering is why spectacular sunsets are so rare?

A red sky appears when dust and small particles are trapped in the atmosphere by high pressure. This scatters blue light leaving only red light to give the sky its notable appearance.

10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

A red sky appears when dust and small particles are trapped in the atmosphere by high pressure. This scatters blue light leaving only red light to give the sky its notable appearance.

Ah. That makes sense, and I should have figured it out for myself ... but I couldn't be bothered!  :biggrin:

How about a line I once saw Billy Connolly deliver in his act? Connolly said that there were things so puzzling they kept him awake at night pondering the mystery.

Example: How does the guy who drives the snow plough get to his work?

Craig Gordons Gloves
29 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

How about a line I once saw Billy Connolly deliver in his act? Connolly said that there were things so puzzling they kept him awake at night pondering the mystery.

Example: How does the guy who drives the snow plough get to his work?

I've a friend that drives a snow plow and in most cases they're at work before the snow. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

How was swearing ‘invented’ and by whom if anyone?

Swearing is interesting and varies from language to language.  In English, swearing is frequently sex-related.

In Quebec French, all the swear words are religion-related.  For example, tabernak is a very bad swear word. It means tabernacle!

3 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

Why is there a semi circle at the edge of the penalty box

It keeps you ten yards from the penalty spot. 

2 minutes ago, Smack said:

On a similar theme, the centre circle is pretty much obsolete. 

In what way?

9 minutes ago, Smack said:

Far too quick. Note my edit 😖

:) No probs.

One thing I hadn't thought about is that all players except the one taking the penalty kick in a penalty shootout, and the two goalkeepers of course, has to stay within the confines of the penalty circle. I'm not sure that is strictly adhered to.

Just now, Smack said:

It keeps you ten yards from the penalty spot. 

But if you stand at the corner of the semi circle surely you are closer 🙄

45 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:) No probs.

One thing I hadn't thought about is that all players except the one taking the penalty kick in a penalty shootout, and the two goalkeepers of course, has to stay within the confines of the penalty circle. I'm not sure that is strictly adhered to.

Ahem...centre circle...

58 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D Oops...

Could've made shoot-outs more interesting - 20 guys clustered around the box :lol:

1 minute ago, Boof said:

Could've made shoot-outs more interesting - 20 guys clustered around the box :lol:

I should suggest it to IFAB. :D

1 hour ago, LeftBack said:

But if you stand at the corner of the semi circle surely you are closer 🙄

The arc is drawn 10 yards from the penalty spot, so all points on it are the same distance away.

1 hour ago, Boof said:

It isn't a semi circle...it's a segment.

It isn't a segment...it's an arc.

If extended, it would be the same size as the centre circle.

So, the line itself is an arc. The area contained within the shape made by that arc and the straight line of the penalty area is a segment.

Everybody wins! (I think; except the person who said it was a semi-circle :().

5 hours ago, redjambo said:

So, the line itself is an arc. The area contained within the shape made by that arc and the straight line of the penalty area is a segment.

Everybody wins! (I think; except the person who said it was a semi-circle :().

A semi-circle is like a big segment. Everyone's a winner. :D 

Anything for a bit of a chord.

3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

A semi-circle is like a big segment. Everyone's a winner. :D 

Anything for a bit of a chord.

Hu-ray!

Would it make more sense for the 18-yard box to be an 18-yard arc?

All points in the arc would be equidistant from the centre of the goal, unlike all points on the 18-yard box..

26 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

All points in the arc would be equidistant from the centre of the goal, unlike all points on the 18-yard box..

Like hockey?

Makes sense to me.

53 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Interesting idea, but it might make it more difficult for a linesman to look "along the line" to judge whether a foul was committed in the box or not.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Interesting idea, but it might make it more difficult for a linesman to look "along the line" to judge whether a foul was committed in the box or not.

Then we need additional assistants to look along the lines that run from the bye line.

(not serious)