Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You 100% googled it. 

Well, as I’m not a complete ****ing moron I didn’t have to. I did however wonder very hard if you were serious as I have my doubts about you. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Well, as I’m not a complete ****ing moron I didn’t have to. I did however wonder very hard if you were serious as I have my doubts about you. 

Harsh.

On 26/08/2021 at 17:35, kawasakijambo said:

Pilots don't want it, they think it is spying. They have a valid argument.

Do they? Bus drivers have cameras on them, why shouldn't the guys driving something much bigger and faster?

1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Why do polar bears never eat penguins?

Well, there was a sad accident at Edinburgh zoo several years ago when .... 

Anyway, I think everyone on this forum knows the answer to your question.

:notsure:

8 minutes ago, superjack said:

If someone moves to Scotland from another country, do they have to take a UK driving test?

It was the case that within the EU there was an assumed equivalency. When we came back no test was needed, just an application to change it to a UK license.

I know that the EU has agreements to recognise various external countries' licenses but now that we've left I've no idea what agreements we have in place, if any.

6 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Well, there was a sad accident at Edinburgh zoo several years ago when .... 

Anyway, I think everyone on this forum knows the answer to your question.

:notsure:

The way that polar bear destroyed those chocolate biscuits was horrific

• 2 weeks later...
Samuel Camazzola

I play the lottery online and whenever I win with two, three or four numbers, I receive an email saying they have some 'exciting news' about my ticket and to log on to see what it is. Whenever I see this email, I'm well prepared for it to be a small prize. Does anyone know if more substantial prizes are covered by the same wording of alert email or if there is another way they contact the winner? 

3 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I play the lottery online and whenever I win with two, three or four numbers, I receive an email saying they have some 'exciting news' about my ticket and to log on to see what it is. Whenever I see this email, I'm well prepared for it to be a small prize. Does anyone know if more substantial prizes are covered by the same wording of alert email or if there is another way they contact the winner? 

The wording is the same.

1 minute ago, weegranty said:

The wording is the same.

Christ. Imagine opening an email you expect to say £25 and it saying £2,000,000. You’d cack your pants on the spot. 

• 4 weeks later...
I P Knightley

See when a recipe calls for a "knob of butter"?

What do you use to gauge whether you're using the right amount? The helmet or the whole thing? Engorged or flaccid?

I've never watched a cookery show so have absolutely no idea what the likes of Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver use.

13 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

What do you use to gauge whether you're using the right amount? The helmet or the whole thing? Engorged or flaccid?

I've never watched a cookery show so have absolutely no idea what the likes of Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver use.

those two use a human sized bit of butter

On 03/11/2021 at 19:00, Greedy Jambo said:

I've been doing some research after having to fork out for 4 new Fuel injectors after only 50,000 miles. 

Apparently the main reason for an injector to fail is poor quality fuel (i've been using Sainsbury's mostly)

Also found this on a forum,

Where diesel is concerned, the supermarkets are all working on the basis of buy cheap and sell quickly using the fuel price to hook in customers to their stores; they don’t put additives into their fuel because they think that it will be sold so quickly that any biological contaminants will be long gone. True enough, but it is us poor end users who end up with diesel bug contaminated vehicles!

Branded garages on the other hand are using the fuel as an actual product and therefore need that product to be of good quality. Branded diesel therefore contains detergents to keep water in solution in the fuel, and biocides (or at least biostats) to prevent diesel bug from thriving in their tanks. It may also contain cetane boosters and agents to make the fuel atomise better in the engine, which is about the best way to boost diesel engine performance.

The bulk fuel is the same, the additives are different and do make a difference even at the high dilutions in use.

I would therefore say that if you’re going to use supermarket diesel, use Miller’s diesel additive all the time, and keep a bottle of diesel fuel tank cleaner (concentrated detergent and biocide) for those times when you get diesel bug in your car fuel tank. I’ve had this twice now, and both times it was supermarket diesel.

My mates a tanker driver, he's a cock but swears he delivers the same shit, regardless of who he delivers to. Like I say though, he is a cock.

4 minutes ago, tightrope said:

My mates a tanker driver, he's a cock but swears he delivers the same shit, regardless of who he delivers to. Like I say though, he is a cock.

Is this him in his tanker? 

6DB1F35B-8212-40F5-A591-3F98B92B6ED5.jpeg

20 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Need to measure it to you're own 😂 Ramsey will have a huge knob of butter and Jamie doesn't cook with Butter at all 😂

Nigella on the other hand.... 🍆

Edited by Stu_HMFC

On 23/12/2021 at 07:08, superjack said:

If someone moves to Scotland from another country, do they have to take a UK driving test?

When my wife moved over from Canada she had the option to handover her Canadian driving licence and get a full UK one in its place. She declined this and took lessons and passed her driving test over here. She said the differences in both countries made it a bad idea in her mind to just effectively swap licences. That was many years ago so not sure if this is still the case when people move here.

21 minutes ago, The Bannon Flick said:

When running / exercising and you get a ‘stitch’ what is happening in your body?

If I remember correctly, your body isn't taking in enough oxygen and is burning lactic acid for energy instead. 

15 minutes ago, felix said:

Why do crisps always go out of date on a Saturday ?

Some heed the ball at my work thought he knew the answer. No one knew what he was speaking about something to do with the factory being closed at the weekend he said. 

1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Some heed the ball at my work thought he knew the answer. No one knew what he was speaking about something to do with the factory being closed at the weekend he said. 

There is some truth to that iirc. It is potentially because the factory rubs Sunday to Friday and rather than have the dates X days after each day it is easier to mark every bag produced that week with the same date. With that date being the Saturday. 

There is also the belief that it is from the days when a pub would swap it's dry snacks out on a single day rather than having to maintain daily stock rotation.

I would assume it came from the pub one and the crisp factories aligned their production around this and thus we have BBF on Saturdays

1 hour ago, Norm said:

If I remember correctly, your body isn't taking in enough oxygen and is burning lactic acid for energy instead. 

I think (but it’s a long time since I learned this…) that the lactic acid is the product of anaerobic (ie ‘without oxygen’) respiration.  Your body can still burn glucose for energy without oxygen for a short spell but it’s much less efficient and instead of CO2 it’s lactic acid that’s produced.

It’s about 40 years since I did this stuff so this might be bo!!ocks.

On 29/09/2021 at 16:35, Maple Leaf said:

At what point in the history of homo sapiens did someone look at the egg-shaped thing that had just emerged from the arse of a bird, still covered in bird shit, and think to himself, "That's looks tasty, I think I'll eat it" ?

:rofl: 

Makes you also wonder what other arse contents said homosapien sampled. :ninja: 

How do people post the wee diagrams of their wordle attempts on the wordle thread or on Facebook?

Edited by dougal

24 minutes ago, dougal said:

How do people post the wee diagrams of their wordle attempts on the wordle thread or on Facebook?

Click share once you have the solution then copy text.

10 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Click share once you have the solution then copy text.

Thanks. Hadn't even noticed the share button 😳

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Cubed

3x3x3 is cubed, why is it cubed? It's got ****all to do with a cube, a cube has 6 sides. 

A one-dimensional line is, say, 2cm long.

A two-dimensional square made with that line has an area 2cm x 2cm = 4cm².

A three-dimensional cube made with those squares has a volume 2cm x 2cm x 2cm = 8cm³.

Hence "cubed". I think, anyway.

2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Cubed

3x3x3 is cubed, why is it cubed? It's got ****all to do with a cube, a cube has 6 sides. 

It has 3 identical dimensions. H x W x L. 

• 2 weeks later...
I P Knightley
On 11/02/2022 at 22:22, redjambo said:

A one-dimensional line is, say, 2cm long.

A two-dimensional square made with that line has an area 2cm x 2cm = 4cm².

A three-dimensional cube made with those squares has a volume 2cm x 2cm x 2cm = 8cm³.

Hence "cubed". I think, anyway.

Spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the price of a barrel these days and the fact that the UK has about 4.5 billion barrells worth. 

Why dont we dip into our reserves to help to the country out?

I've seen that from different sources that our reserves would last between 5-20 years. Not sure what is right.

On 11/02/2022 at 23:12, Greedy Jambo said:

Cubed

Oh my!

:jj_facepalm:

15 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

What you saying now, freeman. 

Just pulling your wooden leg, Roger.

Don’t fret, things will become clear one day.  👍

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that when you stick a pair of trainers in the washing machine, one comes out relatively dry and the other is soaking wet?

A Boy Named Crow

Do people actually enjoy getting a massage? Whenever I've had one, it's like submitting to be tortured, especially the legs and feet. I get that there are therapeutic benefits and that eventually you feel better, but do other people enjoy the pain? Is it just me who wants to cry while it's happening???

Why Zoe Ball gets a million £ salary for calling everyone darling or beautiful person……followed closely by Claudia Winkleman who also sits on her arse pressing a couple buttons and getting an obscene amount of money for the privilege 

Why are newspaper websites so shite. Especially on mobiles?

Will often click on an article that, for example, has a short 10 second or so clip relating to a recent vital video. 

You then get bombarded with pop ups and added between every paragraph, some of which are videos themselves. Finding the actual video you want to watch appears impossible and when you do find it the 10 second clip is usually preceded by about 30 seconds of ads.

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Why is there no women taxi drivers?

Very few, but not none.  According to official statistics, 7% of taxi and private hire drivers in England and Wales are women.  You'll find a number of women taxi drivers in Dublin, but almost all of them seem to work daytime only.

Jambo_jim2001
On 17/03/2022 at 12:39, JWL said:

Why is it that when you stick a pair of trainers in the washing machine, one comes out relatively dry and the other is soaking wet?

Forgot to take your foot out the other🥸😜

On 17/03/2022 at 12:39, JWL said:

Aliens. 

On 24/03/2022 at 18:07, hughesie27 said:

Why are newspaper websites so shite. Especially on mobiles?

Will often click on an article that, for example, has a short 10 second or so clip relating to a recent vital video. 

You then get bombarded with pop ups and added between every paragraph, some of which are videos themselves. Finding the actual video you want to watch appears impossible and when you do find it the 10 second clip is usually preceded by about 30 seconds of ads.

they havent moved with the times and desperately rely on advertising to afford their awful output