Things you've always wondered about but couldn't be bothered to find out

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

I just heard on the radio that 2/3 of all rubbish dropped on the streets is cigarette butts. That made me wonder do smokers still keep packs of cigarettes in holders? I can always remember my grandmother keeping her cigarettes along with her lighter in a fabric holder.

No idea, but it confirms my suspicion that smokers are the biggest scaffs on the planet. 

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tazio

• redjambo

• FWJ

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

highlandjambo3
On 21/10/2023 at 00:15, Tazio said:

Yeah but on the skin makes it crispy and delicious. Under the skin is good for making the meat nice and tasty. 

Most people roast a whole chicken breast up……..turn it over with the breast underneath (it kind of looks upside down)……..they stay moist……….try it, you’ll notice a difference……..picture below:

IMG_5896.jpeg

4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

I just heard on the radio that 2/3 of all rubbish dropped on the streets is cigarette butts. That made me wonder do smokers still keep packs of cigarettes in holders? I can always remember my grandmother keeping her cigarettes along with her lighter in a fabric holder.

Maybe,  if the two-thirds refers to number of items and not weight.     Even that sounds surprising though - although maybe its a trick of the eyes where its only stuff like  plastic bottles, juice cans, discarded takeaways,  etc that catch our attention ?     70 years of cinematic depiction of male stars  stubbing out their  fag  on the pavement may well have something to do with the continuing litter problem today. 

There was a report on the radio last year about beach litter picks, asking the volunteers what sort of stuff they find.  Cigarette butts were mentioned in that too.

All types of litter annoy me - its pure laziness and selfishness, and it doesn't seem to matter whether the nearest public bin is 100 yards away or 10 yards away.

5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

See that light in the fridge. Is it on when the door isn't open

ask the mice ? 

3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

No idea, but it confirms my suspicion that smokers are the biggest scaffs on the planet. 

That's a very fair assessment.

25 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

See that light in the fridge. Is it on when the door isn't open

No. The being on for x amount if time is what sets off the beeping to tell you you left the door open. Push the button in and it resets the timer.

been here before
3 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

1. Dug owners who smoke

2. Dug owners who arent smokers

3. Smokers

2 hours ago, been here before said:

1. Dug owners who smoke

3. Smokers

You’ll see no argument from me here. 

4 hours ago, been here before said:

1. Dug owners who smoke

3. Smokers

Not one word wrong there.  

luckyBatistuta
21 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Maybe,  if the two-thirds refers to number of items and not weight.     Even that sounds surprising though - although maybe its a trick of the eyes where its only stuff like  plastic bottles, juice cans, discarded takeaways,  etc that catch our attention ?     70 years of cinematic depiction of male stars  stubbing out their  fag  on the pavement may well have something to do with the continuing litter problem today. 

There was a report on the radio last year about beach litter picks, asking the volunteers what sort of stuff they find.  Cigarette butts were mentioned in that too.

All types of litter annoy me - its pure laziness and selfishness, and it doesn't seem to matter whether the nearest public bin is 100 yards away or 10 yards away.

You’re bang on. I never ever throw anything on the ground. If I can’t find a bin, I’ll scrunch it up and put it in my pocket until I do. If it’s too big for my pocket, I’ll just hold on to it until I find a bin. It’s really not that difficult. Smokers are minging barstewards, just throw their butts everywhere with no thought for others. I’ve had two seperate female smokers who after being told they can’t smoke their cigarette in the taxi, have stubbed it out in to the paintwork of my taxi. No idea if they threw it on the ground, couldn’t see for all the red mist.

Now that this thread has turned on these most awful of people - smokers, I’ll chip in with my two pence worth.

Why do they smoke?

Is it to harm their health?

Is it to make them short of money?

Is it to make sure that their breath and their clothes smell foul?

Is it to make other people dislike them?

Is it just so that they can stand outside in the cold wind and rain?

Is it all five?

38 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You’re bang on. I never ever throw anything on the ground. If I can’t find a bin, I’ll scrunch it up and put it in my pocket until I do. If it’s too big for my pocket, I’ll just hold on to it until I find a bin. It’s really not that difficult. Smokers are minging barstewards, just throw their butts everywhere with no thought for others. I’ve had two seperate female smokers who after being told they can’t smoke their cigarette in the taxi, have stubbed it out in to the paintwork of my taxi. No idea if they threw it on the ground, couldn’t see for all the red mist.

Same here.   And as you say, its not difficult to keep hold of stuff untill you find a bin.  Just take a rolled up poly bag in a jacket pocket for putting your rubbish in when you're out and about.    Your story about the 2 passengers in your taxi doing that is appalling - sounds like the type of folk whose personality exudes  victimhood and entitlement at every opportunity.   The smoking ban in enclosed public places has been around for well over 15 years now   

39 minutes ago, The Jazz Emu said:

Now that this thread has turned on these most awful of people - smokers, I’ll chip in with my two pence worth.

Why do they smoke?

Is it all five?

Probably all 5.  I think some smokers see it as an act of rebellion against the "nanny state" too

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Same here.   And as you say, its not difficult to keep hold of stuff untill you find a bin.  Just take a rolled up poly bag in a jacket pocket for putting your rubbish in when you're out and about.    Your story about the 2 passengers in your taxi doing that is appalling - sounds like the type of folk whose personality exudes  victimhood and entitlement at every opportunity.   The smoking ban in enclosed public places has been around for well over 15 years now   

A rough guess that both incidents were in the last 10 years. Still get folk trying to smoke even now. Smokers eh🤬

4 hours ago, The Jazz Emu said:

Why do they smoke?

Is it all five?

It's to make themselves look cool.

Cos nothing's cooler than poking a wee cylindrical stick into your mouth repeatedly and sucking on it for a new minutes. It's real cool.

Edited by Jim_Duncan

8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Did Man actually land on the moon. I'm not sure cos ive never been

I've never been to Portugal. Does it actually exist?

7 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Yes ive been. Recommend it

Sorry, I don't believe you. I've never been. I think Portugal is fake.

been here before
21 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Did Man actually land on the moon. I'm not sure cos ive never been

Dont you have one of your many houses there?

1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Sorry, I don't believe you. I've never been. I think Portugal is fake.

If Portugal was remotely near to Spain, I’d say that it’s not fake.

But, considering that it’s near to the moon, I think it’s highly plausible that 100% of the people who have never visited Bangor are the sort who have always been a resident of Tea-Tree Bay.

Henry Hoover had a Hoover in his house once.  He called it Algarve Hoover.

He was a strange one, that Harold.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

If Portugal was remotely near to Spain, I’d say that it’s not fake.

But, considering that it’s near to the moon, I think it’s highly plausible that 100% of the people who have never visited Bangor are the sort who have always been a resident of Tea-Tree Bay.

Henry Hoover had a Hoover in his house once.  He called it Algarve Hoover.

He was a strange one, that Harold.

I once married a woman from that neck of the woods: Lucy Tania. 

Many men had landed on her half-sister: Luna Eclipse. 

6 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Hi pal how's retirement 

4 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I once married a woman from that neck of the woods: Lucy Tania. 

Many men had landed on her half-sister: Luna Eclipse. 

No!!

Not Lucy and Luna?

What a coincidence!

I never knew them either.

8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Hi pal how's retirement 

Stopping working and retiring are two entirely different things, Rude.

My mother was a Turkish Kebab.

Sweet, but oh so, Prada.

I loved her because she was my father.

Bill.

"Her name was Rita

She was a showgirl

She wore fake diamonds in her hair

And she hated underwear

She said the moon looks bright

On this star-filled night

Your face looks like an aspidistra

And you're full of shite"

(To the tune of "Copacabana")

rudi must stay
23 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Stopping working and retiring are two entirely different things, Rude.

My mother was a Turkish Kebab.

Sweet, but oh so, Prada.

I loved her because she was my father.

Bill.

I'm sorry what are you talking about 

What’s the etiquette re clapping at funerals? Been at a few where family members have got up during the service to say a few words and despite struggling to keep it together, they’ve managed to do so. I’m sat there, so proud of them, yet once they’re done they walk back to their seat in complete silence. 

I’ve often wanted to burst into applause just to give them a wee bit support, but I’m too scared that a) no one else would join in and I’d look an arse or b) it would be completely frowned upon. 

Suppose there’s no real rules re this sort of thing but aye, it is something I’ve wondered about…

8 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

What’s the etiquette re clapping at funerals? Been at a few where family members have got up during the service to say a few words and despite struggling to keep it together, they’ve managed to do so. I’m sat there, so proud of them, yet once they’re done they walk back to their seat in complete silence. 

I’ve often wanted to burst into applause just to give them a wee bit support, but I’m too scared that a) no one else would join in and I’d look an arse or b) it would be completely frowned upon. 

Suppose there’s no real rules re this sort of thing but aye, it is something I’ve wondered about…

I was at a friends funeral last year and he had worked in theatre his whole life and at the end before everyone left the celebrant asked the congregation to give him a final standing ovation. It’s was an oddly joyous end to the occasion. 

How come when watching something on the telly with a woman, they miss half the story then spend the best parts of a programme asking what's happening?

I replied that there was a large part of the previous episode dedicated to this part of the story, how do you miss that? She was actually watching it and not fecking talking.

9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

How did the Dollar get the nickname Buck, and the Pound get the nickname Quid ?  

buck is from when they used to trade buckskins for things

quid possibly from quid pro quo meaning something for something

been here before
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

There was a papermill that supplied the royal mint in a place called Quidhampton back in ye olden days.

3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Cheers for that.    

1 hour ago, been here before said:

There was a papermill that supplied the royal mint in a place called Quidhampton back in ye olden days.

I wonder how many people knew that factoid.  Sounds plausible. Thanks

On 24/11/2023 at 23:30, Lone Striker said:

How did the Dollar get the nickname Buck, and the Pound get the nickname Quid ?  

Don’t know how Buck got started, but I like how Americans (mostly in the past) call ten dollars a Saw Buck thanks to a sawbuck having the shape of an X. 

4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

If a tree lands in the woods and noone hears it did it make a sound 

Yes, other things that live in the woods hear it.

been here before
5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

If a tree lands in the woods and noone hears it did it make a sound 

Why is Peter Noone in the woods? Where did he park?