Old Southside Pubs

Corstojohn

Toxteth O'Grady

Stewart's bar in Drummond street was a great boozer back in the day. Full of characters, some real ticket's

I liked Stewarts, we used to sit in one of the wee rooms at the back.

I mind trying to climb the lampost outside one night.

What is it now?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stuart Lyon

• The Real Maroonblood

• Brandt

• Tams bird

It may actually get a new lease of life, as the Odeon is reopening shortly. :thumb:

Is it going to be some kind of dance/entertainment venue? :unsure:

JamboInSouthsea

You are right about it being called Proctors.

Always remember it being tiny but then again I was usually fairly steamboats by the time I got there...sure the doorway was in the middle too.

The White Cockade

Odeon re-opening?

that would be great news

Used to go to the Saturday morning show when I was a laddie

Flash Gordon and a children's film foundation film

I think I saw Blondie there as well about 1980

I liked Stewarts, we used to sit in one of the wee rooms at the back.

I mind trying to climb the lampost outside one night.

What is it now?

The Brass Monkey I think.

Bill's Bar

The Falcon (Alan Anderson ran it for a few years)

Edited by JT1959

Unless you're in a time warp you drove past the pub the used to be called the wine glass. Or has it been taken over again and had it's name restored?

Has changed its name pass it all the time and cant remember the name..

Darci's/The Highlander now known as The Southside Steamie will always be my favourite Public House in the Southside of the City! Uncle Malcs pub.

Last time I passed steamie was closed. metal over windows and doors..|I remember being in the Highlander when malky had it. Sandy came home from school with programmes showing everyone in the pub them as his dad was in them......few years ago !!

The Real Maroonblood

Always remember it being tiny but then again I was usually fairly steamboats by the time I got there...sure the doorway was in the middle too.

Yes, very small.

I visit it quite regularly and it serves a good pint of Real Ale.

Last time I passed steamie was closed. metal over windows and doors..|I remember being in the Highlander when malky had it. Sandy came home from school with programmes showing everyone in the pub them as his dad was in them......few years ago !!

The Steamie is back open. It was closed for a short time.

Odeon re-opening?

that would be great news

Used to go to the Saturday morning show when I was a laddie

Flash Gordon and a children's film foundation film

I think I saw Blondie there as well about 1980

Subo's brother opening it up. Seen pictures few days ago of the inside... I went to the saturday morning cinema as well. Went to all my 'gigs' there when i was young.. Sparks, Mud, Roxy Music, Bay City Rollers,Cliff Richard, Wings to name a few...

NotVincentGuerain

Yeh, was great news. Many childhood memories at The Odeon.

i remember q-ing there to see the empire strikes back.

NotVincentGuerain

i don't think any of you has mentioned Rutherford's, which was sort of opposite stewart's/brass monkeys. its not there now. its currently part of the italian restaurant.

also- captain's rest, southsider, and what was the one down from the second hand record shop, round the corner from the wee boots. it's like a samba bar or something now.

and the one on the pleasance, used to be the auld hoose. and the one further up, on the same side of the street.

Edited by NotVincentGuerain

Doctor FinnBarr

Subo's brother opening it up. Seen pictures few days ago of the inside... I went to the saturday morning cinema as well. Went to all my 'gigs' there when i was young.. Sparks, Mud, Roxy Music, Bay City Rollers,Cliff Richard, Wings to name a few...

It'll not last then, guy is a complete fantasist.

Jimmy McNulty

Stewart's bar in Drummond street was a great boozer back in the day. Full of characters, some real ticket's

Studied Geography at Edinburgh and building was on Drummond St. USed to frequent Stewart's, the Southsider and (what used to be) Smugglers / Dr Watt's Library.

Edited by Hank Moody

I remember in 1976 having my stag night in a pub nicknamed "The Rat Trap", I cant remember the pubs real name, can anyone help?

Greenbank2 note the Argylle was a particularly bleak gushet bar between Potterrow and Charles St., stupid boy!

I stand corrected. Apols. Thought you meant The Argyle Bar on Argyle place.

Only just noticed this thread. Dante Lannies was at the top of Brown Street, opposite the church. his sons were friends with some of lads I grew up with. I remember going guising into it as a bairn and we were sent packing really quickly by him and told in no uncertain terms never to come back. My auld man would go to the snuff box in Holyrood road and the auld hoose, I also remember him going to jeannie deans tavern up near the old Jimmy Clarks school.

Argyjambo The Rat Trap was the nickname of the Empire Bar (apparently it was also the Empire Palace Bar at one point too). Confusingly there was another Empire Palace Bar nearby - see the link I posted above.

JT1959 - I have a few photos of the Castle of Clouts but again copyright issues prevent me from posting them.

Edited by Stuart Lyon

Here is a wee OS Map showing the location of a number of pubs in the Bristo/Potterow/Nicolson St area let me know if you disagree with it.

post-586-0-29032700-1380970439_thumb.png

The Real Maroonblood

I remember in 1976 having my stag night in a pub nicknamed "The Rat Trap", I cant remember the pubs real name, can anyone help?

It was maybe called The Trot Inn.

What was the name of the ' nightclub' that was at Surgeons hall... Burnt down ... Was the trot inn not beside the bingo ?

The Real Maroonblood

What was the name of the ' nightclub' that was at Surgeons hall... Burnt down ... Was the trot inn not beside the bingo ?

The Trot Inn was more or less where the Asian shop is at the corner up from the Empire Theatre.

I am trying to remember the name of the pub next to the La Scala.

The Trot Inn was more or less where the Asian shop is at the corner up from the Empire Theatre.

Phoned my mum and she cant remember. Just said rat trap was over the road..

Phoned my mum and she cant remember. Just said rat trap was over the road..

Best i can help. The Qua...

400744791_7a94fd9036_z.jpg

Was there not a pub where KFC is, on the corner but a fire gutted the whole building long time ago?

I remember the big old night club/pub on the corner where the kfc is, burnt down ages ago and I cannot think of it's name. I seem to think it was something amerian(ish) to try and be sophisticated, after all this was late 70s early 80s.

The Real Maroonblood

Was there not a pub where KFC is, on the corner but a fire gutted the whole building long time ago?

Thanks for that.

There used to be a furniture shop where KFC was. It was called Alexanders.

I remember quite a few of the pubs but do have a problem with the names. As a customer I was a regular at the Abbey Buffet, The Southern, The Junction, The Falcon. What became the Wine Glass at the corner of East Preston Street started in my time as a fruit and vegetable shop, with a grocers shop on the other side of the store. It was Browns. The owner changed it into a restaurant with a bar, The Wine Glass which it was when I left Edinburgh. I remember the pub at the top of Brown Street, but cannot remember the name. When I first hit the streets in February 1956, there used to be considerable mayhem there Friday and Saturday nights. The customers were predominantly Irish navvies who when not fighting in the Pleasance were providing a police make work project by kicking the bejesus out of their wives, this was done in basically slum dwelling with warped floors and one toilet on the landing for three or four families.

One pub I remember well was the Bowlers Rest on Dumbieykes Road close to the foot of Arthur Street. Reasonably quiet pub, and the only action on a lonely night shift beat from the police box at the ft of Arthurs Street. As far as the Surgeons Hall area, of course the famous one was the Rat Trap, a nickname, again the real name is vague. Tough pub, where all the local K.T's hung out, not a place for the weak of heart. The pub at the corner of Potterow and Marshal Street was not I am fairly sure the Woolpack, for some reason like the Rat Trap I am vaguely recalling they both had Empire in their name somewhere. To me the Woolpack was in Bristo Street up towards College Street. I did not know Dante Lanne as a publican but knew him well as a cafe owner in Bristo Street, Dante and his mother a nice old lady maintained good public relations with all. Be it hooks, crooks or comic singers, and of course the Polis.

I remember The Grapes , opposite Rankeillor Street, the Castle O' Clouts St Leonards Street, right next to the gates of Ushers Brewery.

I was very lucky I moved to doing my work in the Craigmillar to Newcraighall strip.The Niddrie Mill scheme had just opened and I was able to renew old friendships with some of the people when they cleared out the Brown Street, Carnegie Street, Arthur Street houses. We enjoyed many happy Saturday nights at the Marischal Arms competing in our unarmed combat exercises. Which continued with our enjoyable drive to Braid Place where we hosted our old friends to a free night in our luxurious Old Edinburgh architecture style accommodation, with a move to our five star rooms in the old High Street Station.

Like everything else time changes everything, The White Hoose, and the Station Bar Craigmillar being two new sources of my weekend entertainment. The Station Bar alarm went off one night. We attended and there had been a break in. I was detailed to lift the trap door and check the cellar. As I was going down the stairs the owners dog obviously no friend of the police pushed the big heavy hinged trap door which fell over hitting PC Boab on the heid, I sort of rode with the punch and hit my forehead just above the eye for a pretty good cut. Taken to emergency, where I was visited by two sergeants and an Inspector, all of whom while dripping sympathy were taking turns at getting in my face to sniff my breath to see if I had been drinking. That didn't happen until after when I went back for my hat. :bobby:

Edited by bobsharp

Memory fading but I think it was called "Uptown".

It was on 3 or 4 floors. Apparently there was a themed Country and Western night on one night and for whatever reason there were bales of hay within one of the floors, no doubt to give it a country feel -- this was before the smoking ban. That was the end of Uptown.

It was on 3 or 4 floors. Apparently there was a themed Country and Western night on one night and for whatever reason there were bales of hay within one of the floors, no doubt to give it a country feel -- this was before the smoking ban. That was the end of Uptown.

That was it....... Told the Trot Inn was where the amusements are now...

Not quite on topic but the La Scala brings back memories. When a c inema in the hallway they had large portrait pictures of the stars of the day, one was Richard Widmark. An older man worked as the doorman complete with a uniform like an Argentinian general. He also to our great amusement had a wig, or hairpiece as it is now known. We used to ask him who is that in that picture and he would to our great amusement say Richard Weeedmaark, we would laugh and make comments about his hair, he would remember us well, and when he went round with the flea spray made sure we got liberal doses. No where was like the old Scabby Lala.

Yip, Uptown rings a bell I had a feeling about it being after a C & W night just thought the name was a bit more Americanised. Thanks for that JT 1959

My Dad has stayed up Southside for over 15 years and to be fair most of the pubs in that time have stayed the same.

Only 2 I can remember changing is Proctors (Now Dagda) and 1/4 Gill (Now The Grapes)

Suspect Device

Spent most of my 'growing up' around these pubs.

Wine Glass was first pub in Newington I drunk in, when it still had upstairs. once it was done up, I could be found there most Thu, Fri, Sat and Sundays. This was when June was running it and it was a great pub.

Also spent a good few years drinking in the Snooker Centre.

Other notable mentions to Minders, the Abbey, Jamies, the Blackwood, Falcon, Proctors, Beau Geste, the Bell - now enjoy going to Swannys.

Ahh, memories

The Grapes has had many names over the years

Pioneer, Cauldron, Grapes, Edinburgh Bar, Priscilla's, Quarter Gill

Edited by Stuart Lyon

Spent most of my 'growing up' around these pubs.

Wine Glass was first pub in Newington I drunk in, when it still had upstairs. once it was done up, I could be found there most Thu, Fri, Sat and Sundays. This was when June was running it and it was a great pub.

Also spent a good few years drinking in the Snooker Centre.

Other notable mentions to Minders, the Abbey, Jamies, the Blackwood, Falcon, Proctors, Beau Geste, the Bell - now enjoy going to Swannys.

Ahh, memories

You will find me in The Bell most Saturday nights.

Great thread this

I remember being taken into Stewarts bar as a kid as it was run - for many years by my Gran's brother, a guy called Peter Cunningham, who I believe was one of the best known folk around the Southside

My dad was a barman and my uncle was the bar manager. This would be throughout the 1980s. When Peter died in the early 1990s my uncle and his mate took over Proctors and ran it untill maybe 8 or 9 years ago.

I would be really interested to hear people's memories of these two bars in these time periods.

Boston Jambo

I remember quite a few of the pubs but do have a problem with the names. As a customer I was a regular at the Abbey Buffet, The Southern, The Junction, The Falcon. What became the Wine Glass at the corner of East Preston Street started in my time as a fruit and vegetable shop, with a grocers shop on the other side of the store. It was Browns. The owner changed it into a restaurant with a bar, The Wine Glass which it was when I left Edinburgh. I remember the pub at the top of Brown Street, but cannot remember the name. When I first hit the streets in February 1956, there used to be considerable mayhem there Friday and Saturday nights. The customers were predominantly Irish navvies who when not fighting in the Pleasance were providing a police make work project by kicking the bejesus out of their wives, this was done in basically slum dwelling with warped floors and one toilet on the landing for three or four families.

One pub I remember well was the Bowlers Rest on Dumbieykes Road close to the foot of Arthur Street. Reasonably quiet pub, and the only action on a lonely night shift beat from the police box at the ft of Arthurs Street. As far as the Surgeons Hall area, of course the famous one was the Rat Trap, a nickname, again the real name is vague. Tough pub, where all the local K.T's hung out, not a place for the weak of heart. The pub at the corner of Potterow and Marshal Street was not I am fairly sure the Woolpack, for some reason like the Rat Trap I am vaguely recalling they both had Empire in their name somewhere. To me the Woolpack was in Bristo Street up towards College Street. I did not know Dante Lanne as a publican but knew him well as a cafe owner in Bristo Street, Dante and his mother a nice old lady maintained good public relations with all. Be it hooks, crooks or comic singers, and of course the Polis.

I remember The Grapes , opposite Rankeillor Street, the Castle O' Clouts St Leonards Street, right next to the gates of Ushers Brewery.

I was very lucky I moved to doing my work in the Craigmillar to Newcraighall strip.The Niddrie Mill scheme had just opened and I was able to renew old friendships with some of the people when they cleared out the Brown Street, Carnegie Street, Arthur Street houses. We enjoyed many happy Saturday nights at the Marischal Arms competing in our unarmed combat exercises. Which continued with our enjoyable drive to Braid Place where we hosted our old friends to a free night in our luxurious Old Edinburgh architecture style accommodation, with a move to our five star rooms in the old High Street Station.

Like everything else time changes everything, The White Hoose, and the Station Bar Craigmillar being two new sources of my weekend entertainment. The Station Bar alarm went off one night. We attended and there had been a break in. I was detailed to lift the trap door and check the cellar. As I was going down the stairs the owners dog obviously no friend of the police pushed the big heavy hinged trap door which fell over hitting PC Boab on the heid, I sort of rode with the punch and hit my forehead just above the eye for a pretty good cut. Taken to emergency, where I was visited by two sergeants and an Inspector, all of whom while dripping sympathy were taking turns at getting in my face to sniff my breath to see if I had been drinking. That didn't happen until after when I went back for my hat. :bobby:

Bob, how bad were the conditions down in middle Arthur Place and that area? My parents lived there in the early fifties, thankfully by the time I was born,1957, they had moved out and up from there. I've read that they were some of the worst slums in Europe.

Thanks for any input.

Bob, how bad were the conditions down in middle Arthur Place and that area? My parents lived there in the early fifties, thankfully by the time I was born,1957, they had moved out and up from there. I've read that they were some of the worst slums in Europe.

Thanks for any input.

Like everything else in Edinburgh, (Scotland) in those days the good people made the best of what life had given them. I guess most of these areas could rightly be classed as slums, but some of the homes were spotless to go into, some you wouldn't let your dog eat off the floor. I went to school with numerous people from the areas and they were just like myself, father that worked hard and looked after the family, Mum stayed at home and looked after the house and kids. But as a policeman I was introduced to a side of Edinburgh life that I had never known existed. As I have said previously most of these streets, Arthur Street, Carnegie, Brown Street, Dumbiedykes, were involved in the renovation of the old parts and the people were moved to new areas, in my case, Niddrie Mill, Magdalenes, Christians, an excellent move for those who deserved better.

To try to answer your question a bit more directly, there were some real bad guys lived there, the living conditions, warped floors, minimum toilet capacity relative to people numbers, no hygiene facilities baths etc.. I was shocked as a twenty year old to see what I saw, but then I repeat it was totally different to the way I lived. So yes it was a tough area, and probably deserved its reputation. Funnily enough Middle Arthur Place was a wee bit different, and may have been a bit newer, only 90 years old as opposed to 120.

Edited by bobsharp

When my mum & dad got married the lived in Brown street.. My dad modernised the communial toilets on each landing.. He put lights in ! When I was born they moved to Slateford Rd after a few months...

Used to get a four pint pot from Stewarts when having a curry in the old Khushis next door.

Great days. Formica tables, massive jugs of beer, insanely spicy onions, curries for about three quid and they came garnished with a boiled potato!

The Real Maroonblood

When my mum & dad got married the lived in Brown street.. My dad modernised the communial toilets on each landing.. He put lights in ! When I was born they moved to Slateford Rd after a few months...

I also stayed in Brown Street with my parents until 1960 when the decanting started.

Say What Again

My folks living room used to be 10 deep with tacky plastic trophies my old boy had won playing crib and dominoes for Stewarts. That would have been the early-mid eighties.

Not sure which category of yours he fell into :D

Some great blasts from the past named in this thread, and even though I'm only in my thirties, I remember most of those mentioned (and have probably been in 90% of them :P) my old Uncle used to stay virtually next door to the Snuffy on Holyrood Road. His house was at the bottom of Bulls Close.